Our Roadfood Honeymoon

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1393
2003/08/28 09:14:46 (permalink)

Our Roadfood Honeymoon

Hi everyone! Just back from our honeymoon to New England. Told you I'd post reviews of our trip-here's the first.

Started out from Philly on 8/18. First stop was Super Duper Weenie in Fairfield, CT. I had the New Englander and JaneDough had the New Yorker. We shared an order of fries. Can't say enough good things about the hot dogs. I loved the sweet relish and bacon on mine and Jane loved the hot relish on hers. The fries were very good too. Chatted with owner Gary. Told him of our honeymoon plans and of posting reports on roadfood.com site.

He told me to say hi to all of the members of roadfood.com and invited everyone to stop in. He also told me that he has never had a real Philly cheesesteak, so, I promised to ship him one. Have more to report if you want...

86 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/28 09:32:57 (permalink)
    Tell Us More...Please
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/28 09:51:55 (permalink)
    Cheesewit,
    Since both you & Jane Dough are Roadfooders we expect complete details of this Honeymoon trip!

PS: Congratulations!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/28 09:59:08 (permalink)
    Yo CheeseWit!! Good to have youse two back!

I've been looking forward to this. POST ON!!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/28 10:07:32 (permalink)
    Yo, Cheese...Is it any different now? I mean the road food
    CheeseWit
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/28 12:03:24 (permalink)
    After leaving SDWeenie, it was an easy onramp hop to 95 North. Next stop would be Barnstable, MA on Cape Cod. We checked into the B&B we booked, Ashley Manor. A lovely house with parts built in the late 1600's.

We decided to have dinner at Mattakeese Wharf in Barnstable. Your typical shore seafood restaurant with a nautical theme in the bar, dining room and screened porch. I ordered Seafood Newburg for my main course and Jane had shrimp scampi on linguini. Both of us enjoyed our meals, albeit nothing spectacular. The highlight of the meal was when I convinced Jane to order a New England dessert specialty she never had: Indian pudding. Made of corn meal, molasses, and cinnamon,and served warm, it is very much like a hot breakfast cereal. It is served with vanilla ice cream. Needless to say, Jane loved it! The mix of textures and temperatures dances on the tongue.

I had experienced this wonder previously on earlier trips to New England. The restaurant's version was very good indeed. After finishing our coffees, we drove back to the B&B and turned in for the night.

Breakfast the next morning was served on the outdoor patio of the house. Innkeeper Kathy Callaghan and her mother, Josie, prepared everything and started off by serving fresh berries on peach yogurt with granola and fresh whipped cream, followed by poached eggs on Canadian bacon on english muffins with melon slices on the side. Fresh squeezed OJ and hot coffee completed our breakfast.

We then drove out to Provincetown on the tip of the Cape. Provincetown is a small artist's colony with antique shops scattered among the many tee shirt stores. We had lunch at Bubala's By The Bay. We were given an outdoor table where we could people and pet watch. Provincetown, as many of the stops we made also were, is very pet-friendly. Dogs on leashes are allowed in the shops and guest houses and the outdoor cafes. I had a smoked turkey w/ bacon and cole slaw on fresh foccacia. Jane had clams on the half shell. They were small but sweet. Jane, the pastry chef, had to try the Key Lime pie and declared it above average.

After walking through town, we stopped for real home made ice cream at Lewis Brothers in the heart of Provincetown. I enjoyed my dish of Mint chocolate chip. I love home made mint ice cream without the green coloring.

I'll report on our dinner that evening soon.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/28 12:09:34 (permalink)
    Important question!

How much weight did you guys gain on the whole trip? Or did you work it off?
    CheeseWit
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/28 12:11:37 (permalink)
    We made a vow to not get on the scale for a few weeks and I plead the fifth on your second question...
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

Important question!

How much weight did you guys gain on the whole trip? Or did you work it off?[img
    CheeseWit
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/29 08:38:53 (permalink)
    I'll pickup where I left off...

Dinner on our second night on the Cape was at Dolphin Restaurant in Barnstable, MA. Excellent versions of creamy New England Clam Chowder started our meal. I had the stuffed lobster special. This special was a one and one half pound lobster stuffed with crab meat, scallops, and ****ake mushrooms. Very tasty!

We shared another New England dessert specialty: Grape nut pudding. Grape nut pudding is a cup custard with grape nut cereal. Good, but Jane decided that she likes Indian pudding better.

The next morning we drove up to Maine. We stopped for lunch at Bob's Clam Hut on Rt. 1 in Kittery. Kittery is one of those outlet mall towns with tour buses galore. Bob's Clam Hut is nearly hidden among stores. I had the fried clam plate which consisted of fried whole belly clams and french fries. Jane ordered her first lobster roll. Bob's version of the sandwich is made with mayonnaise and served cold. We had an order of onion rings based on our reading in Eat Your Way Across the USA and recommendations from roadfood.com posters. We enjoyed our lunch albeit expensive. Jane liked her first taste of a lobster roll.

We then headed for our destination: Kennebunkport. We checked into our room at The White Barn Inn and enjoyed afternoon tea and scones. Dinner that night would be at another restaurant reviewed by the Sterns: Ogunguit Lobster Pound, which has been in business since the late 1930's.

Jane had never been to a lobster pound, and I described this one as more of a "fancier" restaurant than traditional pounds. You get a table and then one of the friendly servers offers beverages and asks if you are having lobster. There are other items on the menu that can be ordered, but the lobsters and steamer clams are what most people come for.

After telling her that we were having lobster, she gave us a small piece of paper with a number on it and instructed us to go outside to choose our lobsters and hand the numbered slip to the man at the lobster tank. We chose a two pound and a one and one half pound lobster for dinner.

They were weighed on a hanging scale and put into a net with our number affixed. The net bag was lowered into the steamer pots and we went back to our table with another slip indicating our lobster sizes. The pricing was a bit high, expected here in Ogunguit, at $6.99 a lb. I ordered a side of cole slaw, and Jane ordered baked beans. The lobsters came about 20 minutes later with the shells cracked and ready for picking. They were delicious! It's no wonder this restaurant feeds hundreds each day.

We recommend a stop at the Ogunguit Lobster Pound on Rt. 1 in Ogunguit, ME.

The next morning we had brunch at The Maine Diner on Rt. 1 in Wells. Jane ordered the "Dale Arnold" a hot lobster roll named for a sportscaster who ordered that sandwich. This is the lobster roll that I love and that, after eating it, Jane loves. It is approximately 5 oz. of warm lobster meat on a top split Nissen Bakery or Pepperidge Farm baked hot dog bun. The lobster is not prepared with mayonnaise and you are given melted butter on the side to dunk the sandwich into. The warm meat and hot butter combined disintegrates the bun as you eat it, but it is pure lobster heaven!

I had the 3 egg lobster omelette. Good hot coffee complimented our meals. A lobster omelette-how decadent! Jane had to try the Indian Pudding here and once again, she was not disappointed.

In the gift shop next door to the diner, we found The Maine Diner Cookbook with recipes including Indian Pudding. We can't wait to try making our own.

We drove back to Kennebunkport and walked around town. We stopped for a late afternoon lunch at The Clam Shack on the bridge in Kennebunkport. I ordered a 1/4 pint of fried clams and a lemonade. I liked these clams much better than Bob's in Kittery. Very tender and the breading was lighter also. I'll report on the rest of our trip later.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/29 08:59:34 (permalink)
    CW, all this lobster and clam talk is driving me crazy! I just can't get GREAT seafood like that around Austin.
    CheeseWit
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/29 09:02:21 (permalink)
    Bushie, keep in mind that we don't have lobster pounds in the Philly area either. We have seafood restaurants and the ubiquitous Red Lobsters, but there is nothing like a Maine experience. I'd give anything to have real Texas bbq that y'all have.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/29 09:24:17 (permalink)
    Yeah, but visions of crustaceans, NY thin-crust pizza, and cheesesteaks are dancing through my head...
    CheeseWit
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/29 09:44:32 (permalink)
    Bushie, sounds like an East Coast roadfood trip is in order!! I love NY style thin crust pizza, need more lobster, clams, and crabs, and have to get my fix of cheesesteaks. Let's go!!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/29 10:09:20 (permalink)
    I'm booking my flight right now...

One of these days, my man, I'm there. It's been too long...
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/08/31 23:55:34 (permalink)
    Yo, CW. Whenarwe gonna hear sumore?!
    CheeseWit
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 01:53:50 (permalink)
    Bushie, I've hesitated to add anything else because there seems to be only one reader responding-you! I appreciate your interest and I have lots more to talk about, but I don't want to be boring. I'll add some more soon for your sake.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 02:32:17 (permalink)
    Hey Cheesewit!!!

Looks to me like 248 people read about your trip.

I was hoping to read that you went to Bar Harbour, ate the blueberry ice cream and stopped at youngs lobster pound at Belfast

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 07:33:26 (permalink)
    Cheesewit, I haven't been able to respond due to drool on my keyboard thinking of all those clams and lobsters. Sounds like you and Jane ate your way around New England. Tell us more.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 07:46:42 (permalink)

M O R E ! ! !
    But skip the mushy stuff and get to the clams!!!
    CheeseWit
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 09:53:08 (permalink)
    OK! Let's pickup where I left off. Our dinner the next night in Kennebunkport was at the White Barn Inn's 5 star restaurant. Gentlemen must wear a jacket.

I started with a lobster spring roll and had the monk fish filet with lobster raviolo as my main course. Jane started her meal with pan fried large diver scallops and followed that with veal medallions.

Desserts inluded a blueberry mousse with mascarpone filling for me and a chocolate souffle for Jane. It was a fine dining experience and very expensive. It was not a roadfood experience!

The next morning, we set out for Bar Harbor and stopped in Brunswick at the Brunswick Diner. The Brunswick Diner has been serving hungry patrons since '46 and it was very good. Jane was in the mood for SOS w/home fries and iced coffee and I had a bacon mushroom cheeseburger with a Coke. We enjoyed our brunch and couldn't wait to get to our next stop: Bar Harbor, Maine!

After checking into our inn, we had a late dinner at The Island Chowder House on Cottage Street in Bar Harbor. The interior resembles an ice cream parlor with bright lights and tiffany style fixtures over each table. I loved the creamy clam chowder and the lobster newburg with a side of excellent, creamy cole slaw. Jane loved her grilled salmon.

Walking back to our inn, we stopped at C.J.'s Ice Cream on the corner of Main Street and Albert Meadow. I had the hard pack Blueberry ice cream in a waffle cone and Jane had a waffle cone of "Maine Survivor", which was chocolate chip cookie dough, peanut butter cups, and chocolate peanuts in vanilla ice cream. Both of us were in heaven! All of the ice creams (hard pack and soft serve) are made on the premises and from the lines, very popular. I definitely recommend stopping in whenever you're in Bar Harbor. I will report on our next stops soon.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 11:02:04 (permalink)
    Cheesewit: I had the softserve blueberry and it was equally delicious. Owner says it is his own recipe. Directly across the street was a place that sold many types of beer. I could not help but buy a few bottles of the Blueberry Ale. Never seen it any place else. It had a bite to it and got my motor racing. I drove directly to Belfast and went to the docks of Youngs Lobster Pound where I picked my favorite two pounder out of the thousands they had in the stainless steel containers. They were lively creatures and got mad when the guys picked them out to weight them.

The view of the bay, boats and birds were great at Youngs.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 11:42:05 (permalink)
    SUndancer,
    We made a blueberry porter as a specialty ale (draft only) at Abita one year in the summer using fresh local blueberries. It was really good, but due to the low sugar content (and subtle flavoring) of the blueberries it took a ton (pretty close to literally) of them to even get any blueberry notes in the beer. I think (with the exception of some " Mayhaw Lager" I experimented with once) it was the most expensive beer I have ever made. There are some small breweries in the mid west that do it regularly with asceptically packed juice and it is pretty good. The head on that beer was pretty cool though, had kind of a light blue tint. We did a little bit of it as a barrel conditioned-hand pump pour style and it was actually pretty great (not to mention pretty good in the bang for the buck category
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 12:00:39 (permalink)
    Hey Cheesewit, it's great fun to read about your honeymoon but those huge blocks of text are very hard to read.

Please try using the shift key and add some white space, like this. It's much easier to read. Thanks and keep going!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 12:18:36 (permalink)
    Hey CheeseWit:

First of all, NO WAY is this boring.

Second, being boring never stopped ME from posting!

Keep it up. We'd like to see some pictures, too!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 12:59:49 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayhawman. From your description of your blueberry product, I would rather had yours than what I bought. The blueberry ale was strong, but the blueberry taste was barely noticible. You indicated that it took a lot to make it work. My guess is that I bought the economy bottle.

Wish I could have sampled your porter.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 13:08:07 (permalink)
    Mr. Sundancer,
    Wish I had some too.

Now about this "Mr." thing. I am assuming you are my senior, so I should be the one calling you Mr. Although, when I go home, the older farmhands (the few that are left) still call me Mr. Brooks. Never have gotten used to that holdover custom from the "Old South".
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 13:15:12 (permalink)
    Mr. MayhawMan: Always used the terminology Mr. out of respect. My dad always made me do it and to this day, unless I am really familiar with the individual, I use the title.

The Sundancer is almost 62, so your assumption about me being your senior is correct although I seem to get around pretty decent.

Why don't you make another round of the porter and send your favorite posters a bottle. A little libation always makes a senior individual move a little better

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Knoxville, TN
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 13:22:31 (permalink)
    Just kidding around there, Sundancer.

I was thinking about it though, kids in my neck of the woods generally call their close friends parents Mr. Brooks, Mrs. Robin, etc. regardless of their age. Is that a "southern thang" or does that happen elsewhere?

Sure wish I was out on the boat catching specks, as it is gorgeous for the first time in days (or your boat catching rays) instead of stuck in a room full of people selling exercise equipment to people watching TV

Have a good holiday
    CheeseWit
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 13:28:02 (permalink)
    Essvee, thanks for the input.
    Our next day in Bar Harbor started with a continental breakfast at our inn and a trip to Acadia National Park. Acadia is beautiful with various mountains, hills, meadows, lakes, and forests. We drove the road to the summit of Cadillac Mountain and then drove the loop road around the park.

We drove out of the park to the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. It's on Rt. 3 in Trenton, ME. We were going to go to Young's Lobster pound on Rt. 1 in Belfast which we passed on our drive up to Bar Harbor from Kennebunkport, but saw the Trenton pound and decided to stop there. It is the classic Maine lobster pound with a small building where you place your order and pick lobsters and some tables inside. Outside were picnic tables and umbrellas on about half of them to provide shade.

We parked next to the outdoor boiling pots and went inside to order. We ordered two 1 1/2lb. lobsters (which were $5.99/lb. for hard shell and $4.99 for soft shell-we went for the hard shell), corn on the cob, and a bottled water and a soda. You can bring your own beer or wine and saw some patrons who did just that. In about 20 minutes, our number was called and I went back inside to pick up the lobsters which were placed on a baked enamel tray along with cups of melted butter and the corn. Paper plates, shell crackers, and small lobster picks were provided. We enjoyed that lunch immensely.

Checkout their website: www.trentonbridgelobster.com
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Our Roadfood Honeymoon 2003/09/01 13:30:49 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayhaw Man: In East Tennessee, it is hot and muggy. I was gonna get the boat out of the dock and go to "Boomsday" which bills itself as the largest firework display in the southeast. They expect 300,000 people on the banks of the Tennessee River directly behind the University of Tennessee stadium where 10 differnt kinds and vendors of BBQ is sold. I discounted the trip because of impending storms. I went last year and the prior ten years. There will be better than a thousand boats there and the return trip back down the river can be hazardous due to imbibing boaters. I do imbibe, but I have a pilot who is my son-in-law. Lfast year when I returned from the show, I could not get my boat on the lift because of the waves of the numerous huge boats.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1