Our Wild Southwest Roadie Trip 2011

Author
lckt13
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2011/09/04 14:21:47 (permalink)

Our Wild Southwest Roadie Trip 2011

Greetings fellow road food warriors. I am a commercial photographer and have had the fortunate experience of being selected as Artist in Residence at several of our National Parks and Historical Sites. Recently, I went to Petrified Forest in Arizona and wish to report on some of my favs enroute, in the area, returning etc. So, here goes:
1. Ely, Nv: Hotel Nevada for a good steak (but lousy wine selection so stick with beer or liquor)
2. Kanab, UT: Rewind Diner and Rocking V Cafe are both superb.
3. Cameron Trading Post, AZ:  a must stop for their Navajo Taco burgers
4. Winslow AZ:  If you haven't dined at La Posada's Turquoise Room then you haven't lived. Perhaps the best restaurant for three meals in the nation.
5. Albuquergue, NM: Church Street Cafe in Old Town is the best New Mexican in Old Town hands down. Seasons restaurant in Old Town very nice and upscale.
6. Flagstaff, AZ: Brix on San Francisco is superb dining with both inside and outside eclectic menues and great service.
7. Coffee Cup, Boulder City, NV: as stated on Roadfood excellent breakfast and lunch. Had the meatloaf sandwich which filled me up for two days!
8. Death Valley National Park, CA:  Eat in the Furnace Creek Ranch Cafe and NOT the fancier dining room for much better food surprisingly! Panamit Springs Resort for buffet breakfast is worth the scenery and the drive and of course the food.
9. Gold(en?) Bull Cafe, Bakersfield, CA: This is west of the town heading out toward I5 at an intersection. We were hungry and saw tons of cars in their lot which is always a good indication in a farming community. Owned and operated by a Greek family offering both Mexican and Greek items. The Gyro platter was superb.

post edited by lckt13 - 2011/09/04 14:27:02

4 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7893
    Re:Our Wild Southwest Roadie Trip 2011 2011/09/04 14:36:42 (permalink)
    I agree on La Posada.  I haven't been to any of the others.

I'll have to try your Albuquerque recommendation the next time I'm through there although I love the green sauce at Anita's.

Thank you for your list.
    tenacity
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Our Wild Southwest Roadie Trip 2011 2011/11/09 17:24:03 (permalink)
    I'll disagree on Church Street - I thought everything was mediocre at best.  If you like Little Anita's, stick with that....
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7893
    Re:Our Wild Southwest Roadie Trip 2011 2012/04/23 13:57:17 (permalink)
    Why stick with one?

I have a few I'd like to try in Albuquerque but the timing was off when driving through.

Which are your favorites for red and green chili?

I'm not a fan of The Frontier which is highly touted.
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Our Wild Southwest Roadie Trip 2011 2012/04/23 14:36:09 (permalink)
    I just got back from a few days in Los Alamos area.  What an amazing area.  I had an awesome green chile cheeseburger at The Hill Los Alamos.  One of the best meals I've ever had was at El Bruno's in Cuba, NM.  I'd go back in a heartbeat.  Good food abounds in that state.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1