Our house was invaded

Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5490
2011/10/08 04:14:40 (permalink)

Our house was invaded

0010 I was sitting here in my living room with my wife watching Breaking Bad and surfing XdTalk chatter box when I heard the floor creaking in the next room. I looked over my left shoulder and there was a strange face looking back at me. I yelled and he ran off. I told the wife to grab her gun, an XD 9mm sc, as I called 911. I told the dispatcher what and where and requested that SO be dispatched. I got off the phone with her, took the XD from my wife and cleared the house. He was long gone.

SO was here PDQ. He had broken into my Tacoma and rifled through my shooting gear, he took 1 bag that had ammo and misc. gun supplies. Fortunately all the gun were happily in my safe. He also missed my spotting scope and didn't take the bag with a bunch of pistol magazines.

He tried to break into my garage, the door is broken. Time to add some locks and use them...Also, no more leaving stuff in the truck I guess.

About 3 hours later I realized that he had gone through my Rx drugs, he took some Oxycodone but left my flexeril and diabetic drugs. He spent several minutes in the house before we realized he was in it. Not a good feeling.

20 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 07:42:14 (permalink)
    Mike,  We are glad to read that you and your family are safe and that the action of the 'Bad Guy' appears to have fled the scene rather than compound his crime with an attack on you. This event reminds us all of the need for security at home.
      Not much more you can do to prevent this sort of random selection by the criminals, except to  be prepared for whatever form of defense you select.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 08:21:57 (permalink)
    I think any burglar would be a fool to try to enter a house occupied by Mike and the Mayor.  Both have a arsenal.

Several years ago my door bell rung at 3:00AM.  As usual I was sound asleep by my deceased wife answered and the ringer indicated that he wished to use the phone.  I told my wife to call 911 which she refused.  I went to the door with my pistol and informed the ringer to leave.  He refused and again I told my wife to call 911.  She again refused and told me I was over reacting.  I backed the guy out of my premises and again I told my wife to call 911 and she did this time.  She was informed to get back in the house as they had a report of a person kidnapping a professor at the University of Tennessee and taking his car and assaulting him and dumping him in the river not far  from my house.  Within minutes the neighborhood was covered with the police with dogs and guns.  They discovered the guy hiding at one of my neighbors boat dock.  He had wrecked his car just about a block from my house.  He was armed when I made him back off my premises but with my pistol pointed at him I suppose he felt it unimportant to try to remove it from his pocket.  I was not even sure my pistol was loaded which I found out later it was not but the kidnapper was not so sure.

You never know as my neighborhood is a peninsula and sort of remote and there has never been a issue like that before or since.  Times are changing as recently experienced all over the USA with protest on Wall St. and spread all over the USA and lack of jobs, poverty and drug usage are making certain that some folks resort to extremes.  I know the Mayor and Mike are prepared and I am not although I am considering a street sweeper.  Those things are a huge deterrent.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

post edited by Sundancer7 - 2011/10/08 10:46:08
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7384
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 09:34:15 (permalink)
    Glad you and your wife are OK Mike.  I feel sorry for anyone foolish enough to enter Michael Hoffman's home.  He also has an arsenal and I don't think he would hesitate to blow an intruder to smithereens.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 11:00:08 (permalink)
    What a horrible feeling that must have been, Mike. So glad you and your wife were not physically hurt.
    I am firmly convinced guns are becoming necessary( and have been) in our society. Its not just the enemy overseas we must fear now, its the enemies in our own neighborhoods.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 11:50:12 (permalink)
    Mike, do you have a dog? If not, you now might want to consider a wonderful deterrent to housebreakers.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5233
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 12:36:23 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

I think any burglar would be a fool to try to enter a house occupied by Mike and the Mayor.  Both have a arsenal.

Although based on the given account, if he was so inclined the intruder could've easily killed both Mike and his wife before they even knew he was there.  They're quite fortunate it was apparently someone interested only in a property crime.

Brad
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18947
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 13:11:06 (permalink)
    My "arsenal" is a minor collection of firearms, but the ones that might deter those not invited into my home are not kept in a safe. The newest acquisition is a stainless Ruger Mark III competition pistol with cocobolo grips and a thumb rest. It seems lleechef likes Rugers for some strange reason.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 14:13:36 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Sundancer7

Although based on the given account, if he was so inclined the intruder could've easily killed both Mike and his wife before they even knew he was there.  They're quite fortunate it was apparently someone interested only in a property crime.

Brad

Based on the "given account" Mike's wife had her pistol right there, where it should be. The guy's lucky he's alive. The problem with someone interested only in so-called property crime is that people can, and do, kill for property.

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8401
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 17:03:02 (permalink)
    MikeS (and wife) you are very lucky.

Glad that you're both safe.

Those arsenals that are locked up are just that... locked up. 

Having a gun at hand seems more appropriate in these bad times.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 18:33:48 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

My "arsenal" is a minor collection of firearms, but the ones that might deter those not invited into my home are not kept in a safe. The newest acquisition is a stainless Ruger Mark III competition pistol with cocobolo grips and a thumb rest. It seems lleechef likes Rugers for some strange reason.

It seems that I recall Lleechef shooting some game with a .45 something??  She must be a very good shot.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/08 19:12:19 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

Michael Hoffman

It seems that I recall Lleechef shooting some game with a .45 something??  She must be a very good shot.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I don't know about that. I seem to recall her talking about hunting pheasant and hare when she lived in France, though. I'll have to see whether she can shoot.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7384
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/09 08:55:02 (permalink)
    Yes I am partial to Rugers as one was given to me as my first Christmas gift in Alaska.  If I had an intruder I would not hesitate to use it and I can guarantee I would hit the person somewhere.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/09 10:49:56 (permalink)
    Wow Mike... Glad it turned out to only be a property crime (as bad as that is), luckily you and the Mrs are OK...
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/10 07:46:15 (permalink)
    Very sorry to read this Mike, but glad things didn't turn out too badly.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is SO?  I know PDQ is pretty darn quick (kind of a dinosaur term , but I'm not sure of SO.  Maybe Sheriff's Office?

Stay safe all! 
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/10 16:40:15 (permalink)
    Mike

Good to hear that only minor things were taken and no one was injured.  There has been a rash of these types of break ins around here.  The bad guys are getting more and more brave (or stupid).  There have been two robbers shot around here recently.

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/11 20:43:59 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Sundancer7

Brad

Yes we are fortunate he didn't come in armed and wishing to do us physical harm.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/11 20:50:37 (permalink)
    SO does = Sheriff's Office.

PP has a nice pocket thingy that hangs off the left side of her recliner, it holds my/our Springfield XD 9mm sub-compact. I now have a Springfield XD beside my chair and a couple 3 more strategically placed around the house.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8401
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/11 21:24:42 (permalink)
    MikeS...  How did he get in?  Unlocked door?  Window?

That kind of thing scares me.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/13 09:57:51 (permalink)
    Good plan, Mike. I don't have the numbers that you do, but I have a silent 'visible' alarm that flashes red LEDs when someone approaches the front or rear doors. The visitor must be larger than the dogs that use the doggie door in back ! While it only gives a few seconds advance warning, in our rural area the approaches are covered.
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:Our house was invaded 2011/10/19 11:03:32 (permalink)
    Glad everyone is OK.

You just never know. It was someone trying to break into my house that first changed my whole attitude on guns.  Before that I was not sure if I could shoot someone.  After, I knew I could do what I had to to protect my family.

People have asked me why I carry at so and so place, if I am expecting problems.  The answer is if I expected a problem there I would not be going there.  But robbers and murderers have a rude habit of not pre-scheduling their attacks on the Blackberry.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1