Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA????

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7279
2003/10/27 12:01:25 (permalink)

Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA????

Hey, wait a minute, I was supposed to be going to Bham! Then to NOLA! Oh, says, the SO, we're still going there but I'm sending you to the farm in Westfield Iowa to shoot pheasants and bring such back along with a cache of morels. Hmmmmm says me. Why not? So I'm now spending a week in the Sioux City area, flying into Omaha, having NEVER been to the Plains States (shame on me) and looking forward to eating my way around there and of course shooting pheasants out in the corn fields with my .22 Ruger. So if anybody has any thoughts about cooking pheasants or morels or shooting .22s or eating around Sioux City, please do so!

44 Replies Related Threads

cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 12:07:50 (permalink)
    Good luck with the pheasants. I hear there are a lot of them around this year. But morels this time of year? I'm afraid that's not going to work, unless you can find someone with a bunch of them in the freezer or dried.

lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 12:16:45 (permalink)
    They're waiting for me, already dried. I know from living in Michigan that morels pop up in May.
    cindyloo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 12:19:37 (permalink)
    Well, someone must REALLY love you to give up morels. They're treasured little beauties here in Iowa. Seems like they're tougher to find every year. Enjoy!
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 12:19:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Hey, wait a minute, I was supposed to be going to Bham! Then to NOLA! Oh, says, the SO, we're still going there but I'm sending you to the farm in Westfield Iowa to shoot pheasants and bring such back along with a cache of morels. Hmmmmm says me. Why not? So I'm now spending a week in the Sioux City area, flying into Omaha, having NEVER been to the Plains States (shame on me) and looking forward to eating my way around there and of course shooting pheasants out in the corn fields with my .22 Ruger. So if anybody has any thoughts about cooking pheasants or morels or shooting .22s or eating around Sioux City, please do so!

I was just sweeping off the welcome mat. Guess I will go ahead and put it back up for later.

As far as shooting pheasants with a .22......you might want to invest in a shotgun. Even if you hit em you are going to tear em up pretty bad. Actually though, loading up on shotshell loads for a .22 might be a fun, but low percentage, way to knock them down
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 12:34:00 (permalink)
    I second Mayhaw Man on the gun selection. Shooting pheasants with a .22 is most difficult !!! That is unless you can get them to stand still long enough to let you get real close !!!

I would suggest a nice .20 or .28 guage over-and-under or side-by-side shotgun !!!

I believe you will have much more success getting said pheasants !!! Ergo, allowing one to consume said pheasants !!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 12:35:29 (permalink)
    Mayhaw, we're still buying you a Turbo Dog (or two) in Abita Springs, so don't fret about that. I was thinking about a shotgun too.......but on little notice it seems I only can choose between my .22 or my .44 Magnum. I'm afraid I'd be left with pate if I took the .44 which I think could take down a good sized grizz.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 12:59:19 (permalink)
    quote:

Mayhaw, we're still buying you a Turbo Dog (or two) in Abita Springs, so don't fret about that. I was thinking about a shotgun too.......but on little notice it seems I only can choose between my .22 or my .44 Magnum. I'm afraid I'd be left with pate if I took the .44 which I think could take down a good sized grizz.

Pawn Shop. Anywhere. Guns are great from pawn shops because they either work or they don't. Even if you only picked up an old single bbl. I promise you would have more fun, and certainly have better luck filling your freezer.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 13:09:33 (permalink)
    OK, Mayhaw, the whole purpose of this trip to the best of my knowledge is to fill the freezer (do I have to SHOOT the morels?) so I'll have a discussion with the SO tonight about the gun thing. I have shot spruce hens and ptarmigan (successfully!) with the .22 up here so I thought it would be no big deal to do in a half-dozen or so pheasants.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 13:16:52 (permalink)
    Are you going to hunt these pheasant on a game preserve ?? If so, then they might have some shotguns to loan you for your trip !!

Pheasants are rather large and quick, I would think you would have a difficult time with a .22 ! and yes you are right, the .44 is a bit too much. However, you could bring it in hopes that the sound and vibrations of such a WMD would cause them to have heart attacks and die from fright !!!

You could just take a big stick and sneak up on them and hit'em too !!!! " />
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 13:29:10 (permalink)
    The game preserve would be that cornfield out in by-Gawd Westfield Iowa, wherever the heck that is, I'm going to find out very shortly. I used to hunt pheasants in PA and also in Belgium and you could pretty much step on their tails before they scare the pants off of ya while they try to get that C-130 design into flight and try to escape. My Picardy spaniel, Pasha, took one by surprise by the back of the neck, me never having fired a shot, and nearly scared the darned bird to death. Maybe a big stick is the solution....
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 13:29:28 (permalink)
    Ilee, if you want info on how to prepare pheasants, e-mail me. I grew up in PA hunting them and wouldn't use a 22. A good 12 ga. w/ #5 or #6 shot is what you need. The .22 messes up too much meat (after all they are just a bird) unless you can get a head shot. I never saw a ringneck sit still long enough and close enough to allow that.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 13:37:25 (permalink)
    You can get some great steaks in Omaha. My favorite is the chateaubriand at "Johnny's" at the stockyards.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 13:41:59 (permalink)
    Thanks, Hillbilly, I was warned by the SO that his Mother would be taking me to the famous "Johnny's" and also "Bob's Bar" for an infamous burger. I feel another 10 pounds coming on..
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 14:03:16 (permalink)
    You'll walk it all off chasing those pheasants all over kingdom come !!!

I always had a hard time hunting pheasant for that one reason. Once they took flight it took me about 5 minutes to get my heart to stop beating so fast that I could actually put the gun to my shoulder and take a shot .... by then they were just a speck in the sky !!! Course I shot off both rounds anyway .... didn't everybody to think I was scared by them little ole birdies !!!!
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 14:13:07 (permalink)
    quote:

.......but on little notice it seems I only can choose between my .22 or my .44 Magnum. I'm afraid I'd be left with pate if I took the .44 which I think could take down a good sized grizz.

And here I was thinking you must be Annie Oakley to hit those birds with a .22!

Sounds like a fun trip!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 17:26:02 (permalink)
    Well........not exactly Annie Oakley. I did have the distinction of being called Tugboat Annie at our Yacht club (in South Boston) after I successfully ran Eddie McDevitt's tug aground on a sand bar (what? bar?). Actually I was the only sober one on the boat, therefore I was appointed Captain. Not so very smart. But my question about the bird story is this: if I can hit a spruce hen (size of a grouse) and a ptarmigan (size of a Guinea hen) why can't I hit a pheasant with the same .22? Do y'all really think I should take a shotgun to Omaha?
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 18:03:44 (permalink)
    quote:

So if anybody has any thoughts about cooking morels...

I recently ordered a big bag of dried ones. After re-hydrating, I've been either sauteing in butter to serve as a side, or taking EV olive oil, sauteing shallots and garlic, then adding the morels at the last minute, then tossing with pasta. I LOVE the taste of morels.

Here's a recipe from earthy.com that I've been wanting to try, but haven't yet:

Morel Fettuccine with Chevre

Serves 2

2 c Cleaned, halved, uncooked morels
    2 oz Whole butter
    4 c Cooked egg Fettuccine
    1 T Fine minced shallot or red onion
    1/2 c Peeled, seeded and chopped tomato
    4 oz Crumbled fresh Chevre (goat cheese)
    2 oz Medium body Chardonnay
    Chives for garnish
    tt salt and pepper

Heat a medium size saute pan on high until hot, turn down to medium heat.
    Add whole butter and shallots and sweet until translucent, then add morels. Cook morels until soft and add fettuccine that has been warmed so not to shock the saute pan.
    Add tomatoes, herbs and white wine toss all together and season with salt and pepper.
    Plate using a swirling motion to create height, and garnish with the chevre.

Good luck with the pheasants! Might want to pick up a shotgun just in case (you'll find good future use for it, regardlesss) but I'd just love to hear that you brought down some with your .22. Sounds like you're one helluva shot. Please report back on your success!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 18:11:21 (permalink)
    Bushie, your recipe sounds great..... I will try it. Last night I pan-seared some pork tenderloin medallions, hydrated some morels in chicken stock, added those to the pan after searing the pork, a touch of heavy cream and poured it over the meat. Oh my goodness, nothing beats a morel! Unless it's the morel/pheasant combo!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/27 20:51:21 (permalink)
    quote:

Last night I pan-seared some pork tenderloin medallions, hydrated some morels in chicken stock, added those to the pan after searing the pork, a touch of heavy cream and poured it over the meat. Oh my goodness, nothing beats a morel! Unless it's the morel/pheasant combo!

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/28 08:11:15 (permalink)
    The Sundancer thinks there is much more to lleechef than the international cook that knows every recipe known to man by memory. Anybody that has the confidence to hunt pheasants with a 22 Ruger intrigues me. I have a hard time being successful with a Browning 12 gauge atomatic with lotsa shots in it. One trip I killed two because they flew in front of my car. They were munching down on gravel beside a back country road in South Dakota. They flew just before my car got to them and they opted the wrong direction. I hunted the next day and got off several shots and bagged nothing.

In addition she captained the sailboat sober. I could never do that

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/28 08:23:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

One trip I killed two because they flew in front of my car.

Was that vehicle using a full choke or modified? Was it an automatic or a two bbl.?

Uggh sorry, slow day at work.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/28 08:31:08 (permalink)
    Mayhaw: the device was burning morning after the night before

Sundancer7
    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/28 09:48:58 (permalink)
    quote:

if I can hit a spruce hen (size of a grouse) and a ptarmigan (size of a Guinea hen) why can't I hit a pheasant with the same .22? Do y'all really think I should take a shotgun to Omaha?

lleechef,

Do you hit these birds whilst they are sitting on the ground ??? Now if they are in flight and you can hit them with a .22 then ...... You are an Annie Oakley !!!

The thing is .... I doubt you will find a pheasant sitting still on the ground. Once you get up close they will spring into action. If you can hit a flying pheasant with a .22 .... then ... WOWZERS !!! You are some kind of GOOD SHOOTER !!!!

Do you use a regulare .22LR ??? Or do you use a .22 shell with varmit shot in it ??

Anyway, I still recommend the shotgun for maximum birdage !!!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/28 12:11:18 (permalink)
    Anybody can hit a bird with a shotgun! After three years of shooting the .22 I've gotten kinda used to this little pea shooter and can pretty much hit any moving target. It's more convenient than the .44 which sends me flying on my arse! By the way, the .22 was the first Christmas gift given to me by the SO in Alaska, along with a coyote parka. My mother was initially appalled. "What is my daughter doing with someone that gives her a gun for Christmas??" says she. Aw geeze. SOMEBODY has to shoot the birds and NO, that was not ME that shot the pipeline!!!!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/28 12:25:06 (permalink)
    quote:

Anybody can hit a bird with a shotgun!

I don't know about that .... I've been dove hunting all my life and I bet I haven't hit 5 of'em !!!! Thems some wiley boogers !!!!

.44 mags do pack a whollup !! I once bought a a Colt Anaconda .44 mag, cause I thought I should have one and had some money burning a hole in my pocket !!! Fired it three times ..... sold it the next day !! We ain't got no Grizzly's in SC, and I can beat the rest of them off with at stick !!!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/28 12:32:29 (permalink)
    I dont about there but in MOST states its illegal to shoot them on the ground. Me,i prefer a 20 guage and a good dog! To me--thats about as fine a way to spend a fall afternoon as there is----a walk in the country with the dog and dinner meat too!!! Of all the hunting ive done--nothing compares with upland game---a shear delite!--much better then freezing my wet butt in a duck blind making silly noises!Nothing personal Mayhaw Man.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/28 12:35:04 (permalink)
    Well, we got grizz aplenty up here and if one is gonna rip the camper door down and come after me I want to have "Maggie" sleepin next to me! Oh, and brother Jim sent some "hot loads" so she really packs some power. Then there's the .50 caliber but we don't need to go there!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/28 13:08:50 (permalink)
    quote:

Then there's the .50 caliber but we don't need to go there!

That's funny, cause I test fired a Desert Eagle .50 auto once !!!

Darn thing near blew my arm out of the socket !!! Could not hear for 2 weeks !!! Had blurred vision for 3 days !!! I think I got shell shocked !!!

I'll stick to my Ruger GP100 .357, please and thank you !!!!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to.....OMAHA???? 2003/10/28 13:10:33 (permalink)
    Sorry folks .... didn't mean to turn this into a thread about weapons !@!!

Sooooooo, how do you cook your pheasant ??? Under a glass ???

Do you hang your birds up for two weeks to let them "SEASON" ??
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1