Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib

Author
Nemis
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
2006/09/15 09:57:41 (permalink)

Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib

I had dinner last night at a new place that opened called Outback Steakhouse. It sure sounded promising and when I saw the long line outside the door I thought this place must be really good. I bypassed the line because I was alone and went to the bar which had a few seats open. I sat down and was immediately served a 22 oz ice cold Foster's. So far so good I'm thinking as I gulped the delicious brew.
The menu featured a new item called the Prime Minister's prime rib. Sounds good so I order a dinner salad, the prime rin, a baked potato with butter and sour cream and sauteed mushrooms. (can't have a hunk of meat without 'shrooms!)
The salad was so-so with a bit too much italian dressing. It wasn't bad, but had a funny taste and I didn't like the shredded cheese on the salad. Then they delivered a black roll which was obviously stale and then heated up to seem fresh. At this point I'm getting a little concerned as I ordered another beer and started gulping that.
Before the main coursse arrived, I started to head to the men's room when the bartended said, "excuse me if you are leaving the bar area I need a credit card to hold on file" WTF I'm thinking as I say "you're kidding me right?". She told me more than a few folks have strolled out of the place without paying on the pretense of taking a leak. Wow this is crazy as I gave her my c/c. Another shock awaited me in the bathroom as a snorting noise was coming from one of the stalls. OK as I'm taking care of business I see a server rush out of the stall and out the door sniffing like crazy. OK I guess the dude needs a little coke or meth to get through his shift, but at least wash your damn hands!
When I got back to the bar my meal was awaiting. It looked awfully good, but when I cut the prime rib it kind of shredded apart and did'nt make a clean cut. It tasted, well...different. It was edible but the shredded meat could have been horsemeat for all I know. The best part of the meal hands down, which I devoured were the mushrooms. The potato was good also, but the meat was just "not right" I lied and said the meal was OK to the cute bartender and ordered another 22 oz Foster's to wash the taste out of my mouth.
When I got the $37.28 bill, I thought that was way overpriced for a mediocre at best meal. I tipped the bartender $8 as she was pretty good and had a nice butt to look at. As I left the lines were even longer outside and I asked and found out the waiting time was 90 minutes. 90 minutes for that???

22 Replies Related Threads

SurrealGourmet
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 10:32:20 (permalink)
    I've never had the Prime Rib at Outback but the steaks I have had were exceptionally good for the money. I usually get the Rockhampton Ribeye and the wife gets the Victoria Filet...both seared and cooked to just past rare. yum
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1069
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 12:45:33 (permalink)
    I've had the Mum's chopped steak which was good and a regular steak which was fine.
    The one time I tried the prime rib at the one by me,I later wound up having to do bathroom duty if you know what i mean. I never order any drinks,and I assume that the bill must have included the drinks as well as the food.I think a lot of places when they open are starting with brand new kitchen staff.
    Some of whom may never cooked before,which can affect things. just try the place some other time when not so crowded and see how it is.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 13:04:56 (permalink)
    $20 for the dinner and $5 apiece for two large Beers is not overpriced for most "chain" steakhouses in that league. The Mushrooms are usually an extra couple of bucks, so your check sounds about right for what you ordered.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 13:08:35 (permalink)
    Quote: "a new place that opened called Outback Steakhouse"

You really never heard of this chain previously? I have heard mixed reviews of this chain, but since I refuse to wait in line for upwards of 1 hour for any restaurant, I have never patronized them. I might wait 30 minutes if I know that an establishment is good, but if I am forced to go to a chain operation, I will not wait more than 10 minutes or so. The concept of waiting longer than that for frequently mediocre "chain food" just seems pathetic IMHO.

Regarding the staff member with the apparent "sniffing problem", if I had witnessed that, I would have called the local narcotics squad in order to give them a really easy collar. Just provide a description of the person, and as long as they can observe similar behavior, they will be glad to give him a ride in a nice dark-colored Ford Crown Victoria, and they will even take his picture!
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 14:05:40 (permalink)
    Well at least you enjoyed the scenery.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 14:37:14 (permalink)
    I must admit I've never been to an Outback or a Bugaboo Creek.

We tried to go to Bugaboo when the first one in our area opened 10+ years ago. Something about people lined up like cattle at a slaughterhouse outside a steakhouse just turned me off..." />
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 14:48:05 (permalink)
    I like the Outback. I never have to wait but it is because I usually sit in the bar area. I like their steak but i really like their halibut. I am not sure what spices they use but it is moist, tasty, tender and delicious. I also enjoy their salad. It is always cold and crisp and their salad dressing of thousand Island and blue cheese is really good. One of the posters indicated their bread was stale and reheated. That has never been the case with me. Fresh baked, hot and delicious.

Their Black Opal wine is very good.

Their desserts are also very good. I got their chocolate thunder down under or something like that and it was enough for four. There was just two of us so a good portion of it sat untouched.

Above poster must have caught them on a bad night. A good steak, dessert, appetizer and a glass of wine is gonna cost me around $35 for one.

I have never had prime rib but I have gone through a bunch of their porter house steaks and T bone's.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 19:16:48 (permalink)
    I've had prime rib at Outback a few times--sometimes it's good, other times it's full of gristle. I've had better luck with the filets and ribeyes.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18390
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 19:53:03 (permalink)
    I do believe Mr./Mrs./Ms nemis is playing games. I just got off the phone with the Outback Steakhouse in Sandusky. It is such a brand new place that it has been open at that location for merely five years.

I wondered about the poster's claim that it was a new place, because, although I've not been in Sandusky in about three years, I did remember seeing it the last time I was there. If anyone wishes to check -- 1-419-609-9226

I wonder whether downing over half a gallon of beer might have mixed Mr./Mrs./Ms nemis up just a tad.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 20:28:55 (permalink)
    The Rack of Lamb was my choice on their menu, until they dropped it last year. Now we tend to use one of the other 'Chain' Steakhouses' when we want a moderate-priced steak dinner. The Rib or Rib-eye is my usual choice.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 20:46:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

The Rack of Lamb was my choice on their menu, until they dropped it last year. Now we tend to use one of the other 'Chain' Steakhouses' when we want a moderate-priced steak dinner. The Rib or Rib-eye is my usual choice.

Al, what is your new choice of chain steakhouses that are moderately priced?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 21:57:55 (permalink)

Logan's or Lone Star, mainly because they are close. Janet likes Cheddars, I don't.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3723
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/15 22:19:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Logan's or Lone Star, mainly because they are close. Janet likes Cheddars, I don't.

We like Longhorn for a decent steak, moderately priced, and with good service and decent wine.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/16 02:37:44 (permalink)
    hey nemis, after downing 66ozs of beer in an hour or even 2 I really hope you walked home.

Sorry the prime rib didn't hit it off for you, I've had it a few times and really enjoyed it. Usually I get the ribeye steak though.

MikeS.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4568
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/16 12:36:39 (permalink)
    My choice for a good cheap steak is Texas Roadhouse

7.99 each gets us a good (much better and thicker cut than one might expect for the price) steak, two sides off a good list, sweet yeast rolls with cinammon butter, and peanuts in the shell.
    startrooper00
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/16 20:02:29 (permalink)
    I agree with TJ...For the money, Texas Roadhouse is the place to go. I have had some really good meals at Outback but recently, I have noticed that they have started to decline.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/18 18:18:25 (permalink)
    The only thing I order at Outback is their coconut fried shrip and I am hooked on it. I use to order it as an appitizer and you would get 6 coconut shrimp and with a salad and their bread (which I have never gotten stale and if it was I would send it back) this is a good meal. Now I have discovered that you can order the coconut fried shrimp as a dinner and you get 12 shrimp with one side for $14.99. This is only about $2 more than what I paid before. Learn something new every day.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/19 20:08:30 (permalink)
    I like their steakhouse salad , "pittsburgh" style on the steak so it gets nice and crusty.
    also like their caesars salad with grilled chicken.
    I'll go to their curbside take out , once in a while, just for those 2 items... nothing much else on the menu has really "wowed" me.

don't like to even sit inside there, (hence a quick curbside take out)as my opinion of their prime rib was very mediocre, and their steaks have tasted like liver mush...and greasy, as well

(have had better luck at other locations than this EHT,NJ one)

don't see why people wait outside so long to get in , either!
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/19 23:07:31 (permalink)
    "pittsburgh" style on the steak so it gets nice and crusty.

I had never in all my life heard that expression until two weeks ago. I agreed not having a clue but it was pretty good. I like my steaks mooing and enjoyed the kind of steak I'd always had, it just had a new style name lol

If I want a good prime rib or steak we go to Steak and Ale. Only one in Alabama according to their directory. Been there for years, I went to my pre prom dinner there quite a few years ago.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/19 23:34:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BhamBabe

"pittsburgh" style on the steak so it gets nice and crusty.

I had never in all my life heard that expression until two weeks ago. I agreed not having a clue but it was pretty good. I like my steaks mooing and enjoyed the kind of steak I'd always had, it just had a new style name lol

If I want a good prime rib or steak we go to Steak and Ale. Only one in Alabama according to their directory. Been there for years, I went to my pre prom dinner there quite a few years ago.

there is a Steak and Ale in NJ on rt 35 in middletown......I thought the food was okay, more of a has-been joint, a real throwback to the 1970's, the style and decor,
    and they've still got their salad bar.

the one in Mountainside, nj on rt 22 became a Famous Daves bbq

SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/20 18:20:24 (permalink)
    BhamBabe - where in AL is the Steak N' Ale located?
    BhamBabe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: Outback Steakhouse Prime Rib 2006/09/20 22:49:08 (permalink)
    Birmingham, AL 205-833-1316
    416 Medford Rd., Birmingham, AL 35235

In Roebuck, right before you get to Trussville.

Coming from Downtown Birmingham, go 20 til you hit 59 N, get off at AL-75 exit 134, turn left onto Parkway East go about 0.4 of a mile, turn right onto Medford Rd. It sits right behind O'Charlies.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1