Outback Steakhouse

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
GCD1962
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/01/14 22:38:02 (permalink)
Like all chains restaurants, some are good and others not so good. This is true of Outback which vary widely in quality depending on the location
mlooney56
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 61
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/02 22:59:45 (permalink)
Outback?  Seriously?
You might as well go to Applebees or TGI Fridays.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/03 19:32:10 (permalink)
chewingthefat

Personally, I think it's the best chain in the Country. Opinions?

Their food, for what it is - a non-prime, non-white table cloth casual dining restaurant featuring beef - is both good and well-presented in a clean, non-riotous ambiance.  They do an excellent job in maintaining the consistency of their food, service, and ambiance across the country.  Over the past 20 years or so I recall eating at Outback in the following locations:  Arlington, Centreville, Manassas, Reston, Fairfax, & Fredericksburg, VA; Myrtle Beach, SC; Orlando & Ft. Myers, FL; Pittsburgh, PA, Newport Beach, CA; Frisco, Addison, Lubbock, & Dallas, TX and have never been disappointed with either my food or my experience.

In contrast, I loved Tony Romo's in Orlando and San Juan, PR, but found them to be vile (and worse) in Scottsdale and Georgetown, Grand Cayman.  I enjoyed several decent meats at the Texas Roadhouse in Chantilly, VA but their McKinney, TX joint is so noisy that the waitress can't hear my bitter complaints about the gristly rib-eye over which the cook had spilled his salt-shaker.  TGI Friday's in NOVA are uniformly good.  In Texas, they close soon after opening.

Consistency is the key point here.  When I patronize a chain I do so from some elements of laziness, fear, impatience, location, convenience, and/or a craving for the comfortingly familiar.  I go to Outback for a coconut shrimp, house salad with bleu cheese, loaded potato, and a small filet - all washed down by a few Coors Lights:  good, filling, and the same everywhere and always.  
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/03 19:39:18 (permalink)
Metroplex:  I agree.  I have enjoyed the Outback in many different states and locations.  I have found them way above average and consistent.

I have also found their Carabbas to be also consistent.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/03 21:28:34 (permalink)
Unfortunately we had a below average meal there a couple of weeks ago. We had a $50 gift card we had received for Christmas and decided to use it. I believe I stated earlier in this thread that I had eaten at Outback many times and had never been disappointed but now there is an exception.
We started off with a bloomin onion which we both thought tasted different then what we were used to. I even ask the server if Outback had changed the recipe but she said no. It was definitely spicier than I remembered and we only ate about a third of it.
The bread that is served is still good but they must have changed their policy about giving a second serving. Our cutting board was whisked away before the salad was served and no more was offered. In their defense they probably would have given us more had we asked.
My Caesar salad also seemed to have an odd taste in the dressing. I always get the Caesar salad and it used to be one of my favorite items at Outback.
I ordered one of the small ribeyes, 10oz I think and noticed that on the menu they recommended that you have that chargrilled which was noted as "new" on the menu. I went with that and ordered it med-rare. My wife ordered a tilapia dish with crabmeat topping that sounded good.
My steak was only about 3/8 thick and was actually tough which is pretty hard to do with a ribeye, it also had a lot of gristle. Quite disappointed in the quality of the meat. I probably should have stuck to the house sirloin that I usually get.
My wife's fish entree was tasteless. Which is about all you can say about it.
Our bill including tip was $48 and we only had water to drink.
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/04 12:38:03 (permalink)
Outback is one of those generic chain restaurants that one usually finds in the suburbs, something on the same lines as Macaroni Grille, TGI's, Texas Roadhouse, Chili's, Ruby Tuesdays and all those other joints of that description. Corporate, all ran the same. Probably costs $20-25 a head with steak, sides and a few drinks. I usually will eat steak any kind of way, so I am not that particular. But steak is just something that I would rather make on my own. Steak is very simple to make. When I go out to a restarant, I want something that I don't know how to easily duplicate.

I love onions, but I don't like that blooming onion thing. I haven't eaten one in about 10 years but that's what I remember of it. Outback has a full service bar which is always a plus, but so do all those other chain places.

I am not saying (except for the blooming onion) that Outback is bad, it's just generic and it's everywhere. It's predictable and pendantic, and you know what you are going to get.

They are in all 50 states. Now, how do they last in places like Texas, Montana, Nebraska is really beyond me. They have a store in Amarillo, for **** sakes

I live overseas and just celebrated Australia Day with some Aussie folks and they all tell me that Foster's (to which most Americans think of as Australian beer) is not good, and a rock bottom product, sort of like Pabst is the USA. My favorite beer from Australia is called Crown, and I also like VB.

I went to Hong Kong on business in 2010 and there was an Outback there. Didn't go, but if I did, it would be exactly the same.
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/04 13:18:43 (permalink)
Outback is one of those generic chain restaurants that one usually finds in the suburbs, something on the same lines as Macaroni Grille, TGI's, Texas Roadhouse, Chili's, Ruby Tuesdays and all those other joints of that description. Corporate, all ran the same. Probably costs $20-25 a head with steak, sides and a few drinks. I usually will eat steak any kind of way, so I am not that particular. But steak is just something that I would rather make on my own. Steak is very simple to make. When I go out to a restarant, I want something that I don't know how to easily duplicate.

I love onions, but I don't like that blooming onion thing. I haven't eaten one in about 10 years but that's what I remember of it. Outback has a full service bar which is always a plus, but so do all those other chain places.

I am not saying (except for the blooming onion) that Outback is bad, it's just generic and it's everywhere. It's predictable and pendantic, and you know what you are going to get.

They are in all 50 states. Now, how do they last in places like Texas, Montana, Nebraska is really beyond me. They have a store in Amarillo, for **** sakes

I live overseas and just celebrated Australia Day with some Aussie folks and they all tell me that Foster's (to which most Americans think of as Australian beer) is not good, and a rock bottom product, sort of like Pabst is the USA. My favorite beer from Australia is called Crown, and I also like VB.

I went to Hong Kong on business in 2010 and there was an Outback there. Didn't go, but if I did, it would be exactly the same.
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 163
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/05 14:47:33 (permalink)
I am in agreement with GCD1962 and Metroplex.  Outbacks vary widely from restaurant to restaurant in terms of quality, but they are what they are, and what they do is generally good.  I had not been to one in years due to some less than stellar meals, but I have been to the closest one to my house twice in the last 2 months.  Both times, the meals were quite good. You have to go in the managed expectation of what it is, and what it is not.  I will say that on my most recent visit, everything went well up until the very end, and that was a service issue, not a food issue.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/20 07:14:48 (permalink)
collinf

I am in agreement with GCD1962 and Metroplex.  Outbacks vary widely from restaurant to restaurant in terms of quality, but they are what they are, and what they do is generally good.  I had not been to one in years due to some less than stellar meals, but I have been to the closest one to my house twice in the last 2 months.  Both times, the meals were quite good. You have to go in the managed expectation of what it is, and what it is not.  I will say that on my most recent visit, everything went well up until the very end, and that was a service issue, not a food issue.

Even though we have always had fairly good service at Outback - as good as it gets with non-professional teens as wait-staff - it does "creep me out" when they kneel to take my order.  I wish they'd "lose" that particular peculiarity.
ces1948
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/20 09:46:13 (permalink)
Didn't they used to sit at the table with you while they took your order? So maybe kneeling by the table is an improvement over that.
MetroplexJim

collinf

Even though we have always had fairly good service at Outback - as good as it gets with non-professional teens as wait-staff - it does "creep me out" when they kneel to take my order.  I wish they'd "lose" that particular peculiarity.

Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 443
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/20 13:38:57 (permalink)
ces1948

Didn't they used to sit at the table with you while they took your order? So maybe kneeling by the table is an improvement over that.

I'd forgotten about that.  I went to an Outback once years ago and the guy did that.  I just thought the guy was disagreeably familiar; it didn't occur to me back then that it could have been a corporate decision.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/20 18:02:34 (permalink)
Yeah, The "sitting with you" order-taker has changed to the "slave taking order" position. A least they aren't sitting on my lap anymore.
Our local Outback still maintains hot bread for the asking thru the meal and even though the price of the Coconut Shrimp has gone up a bit, The Rack of Lamb has been $17.99 for at least 4 years, and is our favorite menu item.
  Of the chain steak houses (lots of them) Outback is our preferred stop.
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/21 16:21:33 (permalink)
Mayor, I do so agree w/you. Outback is also my preferred chain restaurant. I ate there last night and split a Bloomin Onion w/2 other friends had a order of the coconut fried shrimp appitizer and a house salad and a loaf of thir wonderful bown bread, and iced tea. My order was $14 and worth every bit of it.
kishkaeater
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/02/21 16:26:38 (permalink)
I'll take the pork chops with the marmalade, horseradish sauce.

It's something I don't make at home so I have no complaint going there.  I order it every time.
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/03/09 14:01:30 (permalink)
I just went to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and had their Ribeye.  I liked the Outback Ribeye better, just to be honest.  Shocked me but true...
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/03/09 15:26:56 (permalink)
T82,
  If you don't mind me asking what was the difference in the price...and what was included in you meal at both places? I think a cost comparison would be interesting.

KISH.. Because of the quality of the Rack of Lamb I have found at OUTBACK (rated very good plus !!), I taught myself to do the Rack myself at home. The best price we find for Lamb Ribs is at Costco, in the $12-14 dollar per rack range. Considering the sides and the other items with the dinner, Outback's price of $17.95 is downright cheap !!
I really like the orange marmalade they use as a dip with the Coconut Shrimp, and usually get a dip-bowl of it to enjoy with the Lamb Ribs !
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/03/09 16:30:49 (permalink)
senor boogie woogie 

... it's just generic and it's everywhere. It's predictable and pendantic, and you know what you are going to get.

pedantic?  maybe you mean "pedestrian," perhaps?
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/03/09 16:52:36 (permalink)
When the Bloomin' Onion first came out, and were immediately found everywhere, at every fair, street festival that existed, I admit, I liked them. Today, I can't stomach the grease monster. I guess I'm getting old.

seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/03/09 20:44:05 (permalink)
I ordered the rib eye steak at Outback (at our mandatory visit with out friend who loves the place and picks up the tab). It was not a recognizable cut of beef, nor were the two cuts ordered by our friend and my wife. If you like a chunk of beef , marinated in something or other, served by an over-friendly waitperson, in a noisy corporate ambience, at a moderate price, go to outback. As for me, I'll cook my prime/choice cuts at home, and buy a bottle of nice red wine with the savings. 

Cheers, John 
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/03/10 18:01:40 (permalink)
mayor al

T82,
If you don't mind me asking what was the difference in the price...and what was included in you meal at both places? I think a cost comparison would be interesting.

KISH.. Because of the quality of the Rack of Lamb I have found at OUTBACK (rated very good plus !!), I taught myself to do the Rack myself at home. The best price we find for Lamb Ribs is at Costco, in the $12-14 dollar per rack range. Considering the sides and the other items with the dinner, Outback's price of $17.95 is downright cheap !!
I really like the orange marmalade they use as a dip with the Coconut Shrimp, and usually get a dip-bowl of it to enjoy with the Lamb Ribs !

The 16oz. Ribeye at Ruth's Chris was 42 dollars without a side included.  I had to get some Tempura Onion Rings for $8.50 along with it.  Outback's Ribeye is 17.99 for the 10oz. and 21.99 for the 14oz. and the meal comes with two sides included in the price.

Big difference, especially when I didn't particularly enjoy the Ribeye at Ruth's Chris.
Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/03/14 12:56:41 (permalink)
Hello All,
I like that you can call ahead and
drive up to get an order.
I like their hot wings.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/05/27 20:47:17 (permalink)
I just got home from a very good meal at Outback. The Wait person was outstanding, she kept timing with our meal.  The drink's and Bread came without a wait. And the were quite busy. The Rack of Lamb was quite good, cooked rare as I asked. His Ribeye, grilled.. again med-rare.. just right.  Never had to ask for a drink refill .. as it was served in a fresh glass.. Take home boxes appeared and were backed for us with a smile, I have had less than good meals there in the past, but we did have a gift card.  And I am glad we went back again.  I will return without a gift card with this service and quality of food. The Lamb was really good.. much better than I expected.. As a chain.. I think they have stepped up and I for one am impressed. IMHO.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/05/28 13:04:04 (permalink)
Wabbit,
   The Lamb is our first choice at Outback also. Interesting that they seem to be holding their price on the lamb dinner at @$18 here in Louisville, while the price of the Racks of Lamb Ribs at Costco have increased by a huge amount in the past 3 months. Lamb racks were about $13-$15 each until recently. We looked this morning and they had none (zero) under $22.  Outback has become a real bargain for us Lamb-Lovers !
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 477
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/05/28 20:52:30 (permalink)
My very tasty Lamb was $18. I  alway's order it as Outback does make a good Lamb dinner. And I don't have to clean the kitchen after!
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/05/29 08:39:56 (permalink)
SassyGritsAL

Mayor, I do so agree w/you. Outback is also my preferred chain restaurant. I ate there last night and split a Bloomin Onion w/2 other friends had a order of the coconut fried shrimp appitizer and a house salad and a loaf of thir wonderful bown bread, and iced tea. My order was $14 and worth every bit of it.

Sassy,
Wow, I amost always order almost the same thing.  One thing I love about Outback is the salad croutons-not the generic hard,tasteless ones.  I will also echo all the lamb commets, sometimes Iwill get lamb at Outback.  The lamb is always great, I like mine rare.  At only $18 the the lamb beats all other restaurants for price.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/05/29 14:42:07 (permalink)
We do 2 orders of the Coconut Shrimp and one Lamb Rack dinner with an extra dinner salad. Our shrinking appetites has nothing to do with the food or the prices, we just seem to be eating less.
We do enjoy a Tall Fosters in an icy mug with the dinner. I seldom drink beer with dinner, but for some reason this situation is 'special'!! Our bill normally runs just under $50 before tip, for the two of us.
PS  We do like their French Onion Soup also!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/05/29 15:24:34 (permalink)
I do not recall how many years I have enjoyed the Outback but it has been better than ten.  I use to enjoy their steak better than now because somehow they cook it better but for a steak house, their fish is really good and their steam veggies are really good.  I also enjoy their onions with sauce, cocunut shrimp and their outback wine.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ces1948
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/05/29 18:19:29 (permalink)
I know I first started eating at Outback in late 1992 or early 93. I was in South Dade county Florida at the time doing hurricane Andrew restoration work. Most of the restaurants in the whole area were damaged and many were destroyed. I think the Outback in the area was able to reopen sooner then some of the others (don't remember exactly where it was located) and it was absolutely packed every night. It was actually a novelty to be able to sit in a air conditioned place and have a cold beer and a good meal in the months that followed hurricane Andrew. 3 or 4 of us probably went there 4 nights a weeks for a couple of months. As other restaurants in the area began to reopen we went to Outback less and less, not because the food was bad but because we were a little burned out on it by then.
As I stated earlier in this thread I have had many many good meals at Outback. I do feel it has fallen off though so I don't normally choose it in my area any longer unless someone else wants to go or we have a gift card.
I still think the food is pretty good but not as good as in years past.

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/05/30 08:24:56 (permalink)
13145 S.W. 89th Place - west of South Dixie Highway, off of SW 136 Street across from The Falls shopping center (which was a mess after Andrew).
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 975
Re:Outback Steakhouse 2011/05/30 18:48:56 (permalink)
Italian chicken Byan isn't too bad. In my area we have Fitzpatrick's Jewish Deli.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1