Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line

Author
Treetop Tom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 334
2013/06/20 14:36:52 (permalink)

Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line

I thought I had found my favorite BBQ joint in the greater Gettysburg, PA, area when I stumbled across Hoffman’s just north of town on PA 34.  But I was mistaken – earlier this month my wife and I were coming back from a hike along the Appalachian Trail headed east on PA 16 towards Emmitsburg, MD, when we heard live bluegrass music coming down the road.  Then we smelled the smoker.  Turns out we had stumbled upon Frontier Bar-B-Q, a rustic roadside BBQ restaurant which has live bluegrass every couple of weeks during the summer.  Take-away style with picnic tables under pavilions and along the periphery of the shady parking lot.  Long line, but worth the wait.  The BBQ was very good – I had the Frontier Feast (pulled pork sandwich with fries, beans, slaw and a 16 oz. drink for $12) while the wife had a pit beef sandwich washed down with a sweet tea.  The meats were moist and smoky & fully capable of being flavorful without having to resort to drowning them in sauce (several flavors of which are available for you to add to your taste).  Wife said the pit beef was as good as anything we could get in Baltimore.  Hope to return soon to try their ribs.  Cash only, open Fri-Sun 11-5.  Be sure to check their calendar to make sure they are open the weekend you want to visit, because they seem to keep an irregular schedule.  3 miles northwest of Emmitsburg, MD, on MD 140/PA 16 (Waynesboro Pike).
http://www.frontierbarbq.com/

14 Replies Related Threads

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/06/20 15:10:00 (permalink)
    Congratulations on the serendipitous find.  It sounds like the two of you had quite an experience.  I love the fact you found it based on hearing the live music!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3727
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/06/20 19:33:04 (permalink)
    Tom Treetop..................interesting post.

We ate at Hoffmans Barbeque once.  The best way I could compare it was it was as much like good barbeque  as Taco Bells is to good Mexican food.  ..We ate at Frontier Barbeque one afternoon last summer.  I did not even bother posting about it.  It was nice sitting outdoors and listening to the music but the food was not as good (to my taste) as Famous Dave's.

I guess that everyone has different tastes, but I would never recommend either of these "barbeque joints" to anyone.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7836
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/06/20 19:40:30 (permalink)
    Frontier Bbq sounds like a great find. Seems like they got great reviews on yelp

Although it seemed the only really good place in the Gettysburg area  was the Farnsworth House, (although I've yet to go there) its good to know that there is more in this area, unfortunately Maryland is just way too north of the BBQ belt for me 
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3727
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/06/20 19:44:43 (permalink)
    Actually, the Dobbin House is wonderful......................much better service and outstanding food.  I consider it far better than Farmsworth House, which has very uneven service and food.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/06/20 19:57:16 (permalink)
    Thanks Greymo

I checked out the website for Dobbin House and it peaked my interest. Sandra and I intend to visit DC next spring and I'm hoping for a side trip to Gettysburg. Looks like Farnsworth House and Dobbin House will be on the list!

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15278
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/06/21 01:15:01 (permalink)
    Back to Atlanta for one quick comment.  We visited Fat Matt's Ribs Shack twice several years back...before the Food Network did several Atlanta programs that included the place.

We found the BBQ about a 7 on the 10 scale...good, but not worth a long ride off your planned route, BUT depending on who is playing that evening, the rating goes up Big-Time each evening when the band sets up. !!  FAT MATT's has Live Music, often Blues groups, that add a real air of 'BBQ Class' to the grade B-  menu.  Buy a tee shirt, they are a fun record of your visit.
    http://www.fatmattsribshack.com/
    post edited by mayor al - 2013/06/21 01:21:04
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/06/21 08:02:31 (permalink)
    mayor al

Back to Atlanta for one quick comment.  We visited Fat Matt's Ribs Shack twice several years back...before the Food Network did several Atlanta programs that included the place.

We found the BBQ about a 7 on the 10 scale...good, but not worth a long ride off your planned route, BUT depending on who is playing that evening, the rating goes up Big-Time each evening when the band sets up. !!  FAT MATT's has Live Music, often Blues groups, that add a real air of 'BBQ Class' to the grade B-  menu.  Buy a tee shirt, they are a fun record of your visit.
    http://www.fatmattsribshack.com/

Al

That must have been many, many years ago.
    Buffetbuster and I went last year- and Fat Matt's earned itself a spot on my rotten tomato's list of 2012. Extremely disappointing.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10285
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/06/21 08:05:38 (permalink)
    .....but the live music was terrific!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/06/21 08:13:48 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

.....but the live music was terrific!

Yes it was!
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/09/03 11:52:53 (permalink)
    Went back to Frontier, this time to try their hickory-smoked apple jack ribs - absolutely delicious and at $10 for a half rack an absolute steal.  They sell out fast, so it's best to call ahead and reserve them.  This place just never disappoints.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/09/03 11:57:32 (permalink)
    I still won't do BBQ in Maryland or the Gettysburg area - its just not "regionally appropriate"
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/09/03 12:04:17 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

I still won't do BBQ in Maryland or the Gettysburg area - its just not "regionally appropriate"

My Eastern NC-raised wife agrees with you when it comes to pulled pork, and I'm the same way about crabcakes - she and I have probably missed out on some delicious examples of each due to our regional parochialism.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/09/03 12:15:39 (permalink)
    Treetop Tom

wanderingjew

My Eastern NC-raised wife agrees with you when it comes to pulled pork, and I'm the same way about crabcakes - she and I have probably missed out on some delicious examples of each due to our regional parochialism.

If visited the area for an extended period, I would certainly try it but since my visits to Maryland are so infrequent I just want to focus on what they're regionally known for...

Here in RI, although I occasionally go out for seafood, I'm more often than not enjoying ethnic fare, salads and burgers- we do have some amazing burger joints here!
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re:Outstanding BBQ/Bluegrass on the Mason Dixon Line 2013/09/17 09:09:01 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Treetop Tom

wanderingjew

If visited the area for an extended period, I would certainly try it but since my visits to Maryland are so infrequent I just want to focus on what they're regionally known for...

Here in RI, although I occasionally go out for seafood, I'm more often than not enjoying ethnic fare, salads and burgers- we do have some amazing burger joints here!

If you can't wait for a trip south of VA, some really excellent BBQ pork, beef brisket, chicken and sides can be found just over the border in Pawcatuck, CT  - http://www.kitkatsbbq.webs.com/.

A classic, hole-in-the wall Road Food joint (converted home) where they smoke their meats in the back yard.  On par with the best I've had in NC, TN & GA.  Far better than anything I've had north of DC. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1