Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ovaltine or Nestle Quick?

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 79
Yankeesfan

• Total Posts: 155
RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Thu, 04/12/07 1:46 PM (permalink)
Naxet 76, my oldest son used to love strawberry Quik, until an unfortunate episode of carsickness. My daughter's nine-year-old friend will only drink milk if it's pink (strawberry Quik), even on her cereal! Everyone else looks at it in horrified fascination. I wonder if she has noticed the difference that you mentioned. I have one of those huge cannisters of original chocolate Quik. Maybe I'll buy a new cannister before the old one it totally empty for comparison.

Dude111

• Total Posts: 582
    RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Wed, 04/18/07 6:53 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

I have honestly never had Ovaltine...
    I have and all i can say about it is

naxet76

• Total Posts: 351
      RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Wed, 04/18/07 11:28 AM (permalink)
      your little man there is TOO hilarious Dude!!!!

wabbitslayer

• Total Posts: 21
        RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Thu, 04/19/07 8:58 PM (permalink)
        I have never tried Ovaltine, always wanted to, but I can't, and here's why:

I am addicted to Quik. I'm not kidding or exaggerating, and don't consider thinking of it as an addiction as a lessening of that term. I literally have to have it at night before bedtime. If I don't, I get a headache, my stomach goes in knots, I can't go to sleep. It sounds absurd for a 36 y.o. male, and it is; not to mention the unhealthy effect of dumping a load of sugar in my bloodstream as I sleep. If we go somewhere, to stay w/ relatives for example, it's somewhat embarassing; it's not like I can hide it or say we brought some chocolate milk with us for the kids, it has to be quik powder mixed in 2% milk.

If it didn't sound so stupid, I'd talk to my doctor about it.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
          RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Thu, 04/19/07 9:34 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by iceomatAnd naxet76 you can probably find U-bet chocolate syrup if you have a Walmart supercenter near you.
          If that doesn't work, try http://www.walmart.com.
          quote:
          Originally posted by Marti7I grew-up on both, and now have both in my home(you never know what you will be in the mood for!). Do they still make Bosco syrup?
          I thought Bosco was some shi-shi coffee. Is it mocha flavored syrup, perhaps?

I don't chocolify my milk. I do put all sorts of funky stuff in coffee, though. Junior Mints and Hershey's Caramel Kisses are great. Don't try that if you don't usually take cream in your coffee, though. Now that Easter's done, I can get my Peeps for half price and add them to my coffee.

soozycue520

• Total Posts: 1026
            RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Fri, 04/20/07 2:15 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by soozycue520

Hershey's syrup in the can, seems to me, to be more thick and "dark chocolatey" tasting than the stuff in the plastic bottle.

Does anyone else but me notice a difference between the Hershey's chocolate in a can???

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Fri, 04/20/07 3:36 AM (permalink)
              bosco hereand can anyone remember the jingle the dog used to sing or was that nestle's. more lost brain cells

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Fri, 04/20/07 6:09 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by pmrkr2

bosco hereand can anyone remember the jingle the dog used to sing or was that nestle's. more lost brain cells

N-E-S-T-L-E-S Nestle makes the very best......Chocolate

As much as I love Ovaltine, my current fave is Carnation chocolate malt. I bought a new blender just so I can make chocolate malts
                Frankly, I am dismayed by the disappearance of malt powder from many places that do make shakes.

mark

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Fri, 04/20/07 9:52 AM (permalink)
                  quote:

quote:

Hershey's syrup in the can, seems to me, to be more thick and "dark chocolatey" tasting than the stuff in the plastic bottle.

Does anyone else but me notice a difference between the Hershey's chocolate in a can???

Yes the canned stuff is thicker and richer and chocolateery.

as a kid sneaking down to the fridge in the middle of the night, taking that yellow plastic top off the can, taking a swig of chocolate syrup, then a big gulp of milk, swish it in your mouth and swallow.

mom always knew, because there was a chocolate lip ring on the gallon of milk

Neesie

• Total Posts: 322
                    RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Fri, 04/20/07 10:19 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by naxet76

well, there's two types of Ovaltine: chocalate malt and chocolate.
                    I can't stand malt either so of course I just go for regular chocolate. NaaMikey, please tell me, I'm from south Texas home of sweet iced tea, but what is an egg cream and how do you make it? when I was young I read Harriet the Spy and she always drank those. Oh and I've never seen Fox's UBet around here; I have seen Bosco's or some brand like that.

Naxet, I read that book several times when I was a kid and ALWAYS! wondered what an egg cream was! She was addicted!

Back to subject: when my kids were little I brought Ovaltine home and they hated it. I could go for either Nestles or Ovaltine but majority rules in my house. Personally I prefer the hershey's syrup in the can, or now in the squeeze bottle. It mixes better; doesn't leave that nasty pile of sugar on the bottom of the glass.

My youngest (high-functioning autistic) can get into a groove where he LOVES the Nestle's Strawberry. He was sent to a juvenile facility when he was about 14 (for something soooo stupid!) and we were allowed to visit 5 times a week. We could bring a snack, but purchased, not homemade. He requested a bottle of Nestle's Strawberry Milk everytime.

naxet76

RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Fri, 04/20/07 10:40 AM (permalink)
                      wabbitslayer,
                      hey don't worry. I have a friend who although she probably wouldn't say is addicted to it, absolutely LOVES it!!! Every morning in high school when I'd go pick her up (circa 1994) she'd have a big plastic tumbler filled with chocolate milk. she has 3 other sisters and once she said that they were so low on Quick that her father just threw in the few ounces of powder into the gallon jug of milk, shook it, and served all of them that way! Oh, and her prized possesion is a bright yellow Nestle Quick Tshirt...so there you go!

Yankeesfan

• Total Posts: 155
                        RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Fri, 04/20/07 12:35 PM (permalink)
                        Wabbitslayer, my two teenage sons also like to drink a glass of 2% milk with Quik in it before bed. (I think it began as a bedtime-delaying tactic when they were younger!) But the milk is healthy so there are far worse addictions to have!

naxet76

RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Sat, 04/21/07 2:44 PM (permalink)
                          Hey neesie, you're right about that leftover sugar in the bottom of the glass. I noticed Ovaltine doesn't do that. But when I was an avid Quick drinker I LOVED (might be gross) to get my last bit of toast and slop up all of the leftover goodness in the bottom of the glass! That was always an afterschool snack for me, chocolate milk and two slices of toast.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                            RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Sat, 04/21/07 4:33 PM (permalink)
                            When I was a kid living in Brooklyn a million years ago, I had my mother buy, Horlicks (brand)
                            chocolate malted powder. I put in on EVERYTHING! Even ate it straight out of the jar.
                            They (Horlicks) are probably long gone but, you can still find Carnation (brand) malted powder.
                            Does anyone remember Horlicks products? Thats the brand that was used in all the "candy stores" in the NY area to make malts.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                              RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Sat, 04/21/07 5:05 PM (permalink)
                              I'm pretty sure you can still get Horlick's. Try looking at the Vermont Country Store -- we get their catalogs and I'm sure I've seen it.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                                RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Sat, 04/21/07 5:16 PM (permalink)
                                Here, Twinwillow, are some places you can get Horlicks:

http://www.madeinbritainltd.com/hormalpow14o.html

http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=522106&Category_Code=beverages&Product_Count=9

The first one is a British site, the second is Irish.

Go to amazon.com and search for Horlicks. They have several different ones available. Don't know if any are American, however.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                                  RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Sun, 04/22/07 12:17 AM (permalink)
                                  Thanx for the tips.

callmebruce

• Total Posts: 193
                                    RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Thu, 04/26/07 5:03 PM (permalink)
                                    Nestle's Quick!

Today's "lunch" consisted of 1/2 cup pasteurized egg whites, 1 cup 1% milk, 1/2 banana, 2 teaspoons sugar free Nestle's Quick, 6 ice cubes - toss it all in the blender and away you go. It tasted good. I didn't die.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                                      RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Thu, 04/26/07 5:21 PM (permalink)
                                      You might want to take a few moments to read BOTH labels. Heart problems in dust form.

Pdasilva0324

• Total Posts: 29
                                        RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Thu, 09/27/07 3:47 PM (permalink)
                                        I grew up with chocolate and strawberry powdered Quik. Now I buy ovaltine for my daughter. There are not huge percentages of them (daily value percentage), but there are a lot of vitamins and minerals that plain old chocolate just doesn't have. My nearly 3 year old daughter doesn't know the difference. I don't see it often, but when I see the strawberry POWDERED quik I get a can for nostalgia sake!

ctfrasier

• Total Posts: 253
                                          RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Fri, 10/12/07 1:47 AM (permalink)
                                          I prefer chocolate Ovaltine. As a kid I preferred the Hershey powder over Quik. It had the history of chocolate on the back of the can. Another powder i liked as a kid was called PDQ. Does anyone lese remember PDQ or know if it can still be found. It was very similar to Ovaltine.

ayersian

RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Fri, 10/12/07 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by doggydaddy

quote:
                                            Originally posted by pmrkr2

N-E-S-T-L-E-S Nestle makes the very best......Chocolate

As much as I love Ovaltine, my current fave is Carnation chocolate malt. I bought a new blender just so I can make chocolate malts
                                            Frankly, I am dismayed by the disappearance of malt powder from many places that do make shakes.

mark

I feel your pain. I've received many, many strange looks from ice cream shop staffers when I ask for a malt. It's worse when they ask the manager what a malt is!

In the past, I've bought the European version of Ovaltine from the VT Country Store, which tasted better than the USA version. I can't find it on their website, though they do sell Bosco syrup.

janifer

• Total Posts: 71
                                              RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Sat, 10/13/07 8:29 PM (permalink)
                                              An overdose of Nesquik when it and I were young caused me to be pronounced as allergic to chocolate, so I grew up deprived of chocolate but developed an intense attraction to spiced jelly beans and peanut butter & molasses taffy kisses. Before the OD I enjoyed the malt version of Ovaltine. Now I prefer Hershey's malted chocolate syrup when I can find it and Carnation chocolate malted milk powder when I can't. Might just have to try Ovaltine hot this winter though.

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
                                                RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Sat, 10/13/07 9:17 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by ctfrasier

I prefer chocolate Ovaltine. As a kid I preferred the Hershey powder over Quik. It had the history of chocolate on the back of the can. Another powder i liked as a kid was called PDQ. Does anyone lese remember PDQ or know if it can still be found. It was very similar to Ovaltine.

PDQ was the little beads, correct? They never seemed to dissolve properly for me!

I LOVE Quick (why in heck did they change the darn name??) for hot chocolate...

We always thought people who got Hershey's powder were weird...just like the people who buy the Quick syrup - YUCK...

Traci*s

• Total Posts: 39
                                                  RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Thu, 10/25/07 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                                  Diehard nestle's quik fan :-)

phlmaestro2000

• Total Posts: 109
                                                    • Location: Philadelphia, PA
                                                    RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Thu, 10/25/07 5:10 PM (permalink)
                                                    When I make my own chocolate milk, I use Hershey's syrup from the can. It's far superior to any of the powders in my opinion.

For malt, either Horlick's or Carnation works.

Mike_NZ

• Total Posts: 48
                                                      • Location: South Island, New Zealand
                                                      RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Tue, 10/30/07 9:38 AM (permalink)
                                                      Yeah,
                                                      I grew up with Quik.
                                                      It also comes in Strawberry and Banana flavours here in NZ, mind you expect a pretty synthetic tasting Strawberry milk drink.

hungryguy

• Total Posts: 12
                                                        • Location: Clrveland, OH
                                                        RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Tue, 10/30/07 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                                        Actually, there are 3 types of Ovaltine (1) Rich Chocolate (2) Chocolate Malt and (3) Malt.
                                                        I can buy my Ovaltine at "The Christmas Story" house in Cleveland because it's only a few miles from my house. If you visit it, be sure to check out Sokolowski's. Sokolowskis.com The restaurant (cafeteria style) is only about a mile away from the Christmas Story house. They got great Lake Erie perch and pierogis and other Polish foods. I am Polish BTW.

cunnm2010

• Total Posts: 14
                                                          • Location: Naperville, IL
                                                          RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Tue, 10/30/07 11:33 AM (permalink)
                                                          My vote goes to Ovaltine, I haven't had some in quite some time, I think I'll buy some on my next trip to the store. Thanks for the reminder!

vcrawford

• Total Posts: 3
                                                            • Joined: 10/22/2007
                                                            • Location: charleston, SC
                                                            RE: Ovaltine or Nestle Quick? Tue, 12/11/07 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                                            I've drank nothing but Nestle Quik since I was a child. Every day. If I even tried one sip of Ovaltine, I'm sure my body would reject it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 79

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com