Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit

Author
Ozzie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2004/06/19 12:39:56 (permalink)

Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit

I am a long way from being a avid brisket cooker.

Many years ago we had a party for my daughter and I needed a convenient no hassle brisket recipe as I surely did not want to serve something that would embarrass me, lol.

A guy that I worked with suggested (and he was a very good brisket cooker in some of the cookoffs, so he gave me some tips) that I take a 10lb bisket and cook it in the oven for about a hour a pound over night at 200 degrees. What I ended up doing was placing the brisket in a pan covered in aluminum foil soaked in Italian Dressing. I cooked it overnight in the marinade and then next morning when I got up it was really tough removing the brisket from the pan because it kept falling apart as it was very tender. I then wrapped it up in foil and took it to my dads where we smoked it for 2 hours.

I have never received as many compliments from the flavor and tenderness from that brisket since.

I have a smoker but never mastered it, and thought it was just me. I had a few friends over and they also had problems with the heat that it was generating. We modiifed the pit a little and finally got what we were looking for as it was creating more heat then smoke.

My wife bough a brisket a few days ago and wants me to cook it, but being that I'm no expert with briskets and I just don't have the time I was curious of other tips and tricks of cooking a brisket in a oven then smoking it for a few hours.

I done this about 14 years ago and I really doubt that I could perfect what I did back then, but curious of any other people that may have cooked a brisket similar to that and how did it turn out.

Thanks

11 Replies Related Threads

b-n-kchefservice
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/06/19 14:31:10 (permalink)
    To be honest I would do just the opposite. I would smoke it for a couple hours then finish it in the oven. by putting it in the smoker first you will seal the outside so that the juices stay inside and you can control how long it will be in contact with the smoke, briskets can soak up smoke like a spong. and with yourself not being formilier with the smoker, you can control the heat easier in the oven, assuring that it gets done when you want. just a thought, Barry in MI
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/06/19 16:42:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by b-n-kchefservice

To be honest I would do just the opposite. I would smoke it for a couple hours then finish it in the oven. by putting it in the smoker first you will seal the outside so that the juices stay inside and you can control how long it will be in contact with the smoke, briskets can soak up smoke like a spong. and with yourself not being formilier with the smoker, you can control the heat easier in the oven, assuring that it gets done when you want. just a thought, Barry in MI

I agree with Chef. I would run it through the smoker first and then put it into the oven to finish it off. I would smoke the brisket until it hit an internal temp of 160, wrap it in foil and finish it in the oven.

Now I cook mine completely in the smoker and not condoning the oven method. If I did, I might get run out off of the BBQ circuit.

I do hope it works out for you though.

Enjoy.

John
    ahmicchick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/06/19 22:12:58 (permalink)
    Ozzie,

A few weeks ago I tried my first brisket on the BBQ. Unfortunately I picked a day when afternoon thunderstorms would be rolling in. I didn't want to mess with the smoker in the rain, so I BBQed the brisket for about four hours before I brought it inside and put it in a slow cooker for the next five hours. It turned out way too smoky for my liking, but it was one tender piece of meat!
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/06/23 13:16:35 (permalink)
    Yes, smoke it for a few hours over indirect heat and smoke, then slow roast it in the oven covered in tin foil in a pan to catch the drippings. But prep it overnight but massaging in a dry rub of your choice, then covering and refrigerate. Mesquite chips soaked in water sprinkled over coals is what I use to get that Texas-style flavor. Be very careful on temperature - no higher than 225 if that — as it will toughen the finished product. - Rusty
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/06/23 17:20:20 (permalink)
    This is timely, my wife brought home a 5 pound brisket after hearing me say I'd cooked one before. She thought I'd grilled it, but I used a beer braised recipe with root vegetables that she had forgotten. She knew there was a recipe in the Dinosaur BBQ Cookbook, but didn't bother to read it, and see the 6-8 hour smoking time. I didn't have 6-8 hours to cook it, and I'd have to use my Weber which is a lot of work to keep smoking at the right temperature for that long....so....I cut it in half and beer braised it again. That was really good (again), but now I have a frozen 2.5 pound brisket to cook.

I can handle smoking it until I get a 160 degree temp, but how long do you finish it in the oven???
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/06/25 13:36:10 (permalink)
    Cosmos -

I've had serviceable "pit style" brisket as prepared above after only two hours smoke time on the grill and another five in the oven.

The problem is, while it could go and probably should go longer — YOU CAN'T WAIT LONGER!

Rusty

santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/06/25 15:51:04 (permalink)
    A very easy delicious way I do brisket is buy a Trader Joe's Santa Maria style tri tip brisket. Then if I don't barbeque it I cook it in a big Cast Iron Pan with onions,carrots, garlic and herbs de provence.
    The thing that really get's this going is about one bottle of middle quality Cabernet or Merlot wine. Brown it in Olive Oil then cover and let it cook slowly for about 3 to 4 hours depending on the size. This is really easy and fantastic. Serve with good noodles or small potatoes.
    Cosmos
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/06/25 17:17:38 (permalink)
    Similar to the beer braised concept, the leftovers of which by the way, with a little chopping and a dash of half and half, made an awsome roast beef hash!
    Cosmos
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/07/06 09:51:28 (permalink)
    Okay, folks, I smoked my first brisket. I followed the instuctions in the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook with the exception of using chunks of soaked hickory from a 12" hickory log I salvaged from a snow bank behind the Dino a couple of years ago, in lieu of hickory chips.

It was the 2.5# leftover brisket mentioned above, oiled and slathered with Dino Foreplay dry rub. I smoked it for about two hours in my weber, wrapped it in heavy aluminum foil and continued to cook it for another 1-1/2 hours. I checked the temp only once, and as luck would have it , it was 180, off it came. I then put it (still wrapped) in the oven at 150 for a couple of hours waiting for my daughter to come home( teenagers...)

It had a nice pink ring, was tender, tastey, and juicy at all but the thickest part (I think it dried a bit during its extended stay in the oven).

I thought I'd have a hard time keeping the grill hot, but that proved to be easy. Next time I'll try a bigger brisket and go the distance, no oven needed.

albinoni
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/07/06 11:12:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by axvawe

A very easy delicious way I do brisket is buy a Trader Joe's Santa Maria style tri tip brisket. Then if I don't barbeque it I cook it in a big Cast Iron Pan with onions,carrots, garlic and herbs de provence.
    The thing that really get's this going is about one bottle of middle quality Cabernet or Merlot wine. Brown it in Olive Oil then cover and let it cook slowly for about 3 to 4 hours depending on the size. This is really easy and fantastic. Serve with good noodles or small potatoes.

We have a Trader Joes near us but I've never seen this cut for sale. Is it only available in certain parts of the country?

Charlie
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Oven Brisket then smoke on the pit 2004/07/13 16:06:00 (permalink)
    Santa Maria Tri tip may not be in the Eastern Trader Joe's. I have found it in Northern and Central California ones. When it is cooked outside slowly over hardwoods it is just about the best meat in the world. Have it with maybe some corn tortillas, homemade salsa and guacamole with beans and rice.... it is over the top great.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1