Oven bags

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13477
2012/11/02 08:17:14 (permalink)

Oven bags

Turkey day is coming up and I have been delegated the responsibility for cooking the turkey.l  I have always baked them in the oven and they came our nice and brown with a nice crispy skin but they always seemed to dry out pretty quickly.  I tried a oven bag with a chicken a few weeks ago and It came out moist but not very pretty.

Has anyone had any experience using a oven bag and if so, how do you make the bird prettier and still moist?

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

9 Replies Related Threads

brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1091
    Re:Oven bags 2012/11/02 08:30:35 (permalink)
    I have never used an oven bag. I didn't know they made them for turkeys. However for moistness I always brine mine for several hours.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    Re:Oven bags 2012/11/02 08:53:14 (permalink)
    We did a turkey ... brined ... in a bag ... came out superb and it did manage to brown up somehow (maybe because of the extra time to takes to cook a big bird ... you could always just finish it out of the bag.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1083
    Re:Oven bags 2012/11/02 10:00:29 (permalink)
    About 7 years ago, Gourmet magazine tested every method they could think of to roast a turkey.  Brined, basted, breast side up, breast side down, start high and go low, start low and go high, etc.  The method that won was so unbelievably simple that they had to try it again and again to prove it worked.  And it did.  The method was, to do almost nothing.  Salt and pepper.  Preheat the oven to 450 and blast it for 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours turning the pan once 180 degrees halfway through.  I have now done this for the last 7 years and even the 39 cents a pound frozen grocery store birds come out perfect.  My mom now does it this way as well as several people I work with.  It is pretty much foolproof.

It is important that your oven is clean to prevent a lot of smoking (there will be some) and they recommended only doing it with a 14 to 16 pound bird but I have doen it with bigger ones than that.

I hope it runs out well however you do it.

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2005/11/turkey
    kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    Re:Oven bags 2012/11/02 10:11:07 (permalink)
    hatteras04

About 7 years ago, Gourmet magazine tested every method they could think of to roast a turkey.  Brined, basted, breast side up, breast side down, start high and go low, start low and go high, etc.  The method that won was so unbelievably simple that they had to try it again and again to prove it worked.  And it did.  The method was, to do almost nothing.  Salt and pepper.  Preheat the oven to 450 and blast it for 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours turning the pan once 180 degrees halfway through.  I have now done this for the last 7 years and even the 39 cents a pound frozen grocery store birds come out perfect.  My mom now does it this way as well as several people I work with.  It is pretty much foolproof.

It is important that your oven is clean to prevent a lot of smoking (there will be some) and they recommended only doing it with a 14 to 16 pound bird but I have doen it with bigger ones than that.

I hope it runs out well however you do it.

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000s/2005/11/turkey

I do almost the same, except that I stuff it with carrots onions and celery, which really does give it a good flavor. 
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1091
    Re:Oven bags 2012/11/02 10:25:35 (permalink)
    I recently purchased one of those masterbuilt counter top fryers they hawk on QVC or HSN, I forget, since it's just me and the wife a 10 to 12 pound bird is enough for us. I must say it works remarkably well. I read all the horror stories about people burning down there houses frying turkeys so I was apprehensive at first, but I've done three now and each came out juicy and the skin was nice and crisp.
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 329
    Re:Oven bags 2012/11/02 14:02:34 (permalink)
    I have not used an oven bag for a turkey.  I have had success year after year with a method from Martha Stewart that involves covering the bird with cheese cloth and basting in a white wine and butter mixture -- http://www.marthastewart.com/274491/how-to-roast-a-turkey/@center/276949/everything-thanksgiving .  Definitely more work than an oven bag, but the result is always a juicy bird, with browned skin and wonderfully flavored drippings for the gravy.
    starfire62
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    Re:Oven bags 2012/11/02 15:45:59 (permalink)
    been using renyolds oven bags for about 10 yrs now.we love them cause you dont have to baste it.dont forget to put some flour in bag and shake it around.hardest part about cooking in bag is sometimes the bag will stick to pan .i open bag and take out turkey and let it drain in roster with drippings then ill screen it and we have nice clean drippings for gravy.also their small roasting bags work great for cooking a roast beef.keeps it moist
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1270
    Re:Oven bags 2012/11/02 22:48:42 (permalink)
    For years, I used a "fresh" turkey (meaning not prebasted), a tent of heavy duty aluminum foil. I stuff the turkey with breadcrumb/celery/onion/sometimes sausage stuffing, and make an extra pan of stuffing in the oven (I mix the two together when I take out the turkey). I start the oven at 450, turn it down to 350 after about half an hour, and put it back up to 450 for the last half hour. Has always come out moist and brown, and the mixed stuffing is great. If I had a self-cleaning oven, I'd try the Gourmet method, but my method requires no basting.

Bart
    baileysoriginal
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 758
    Re:Oven bags 2012/11/03 22:56:53 (permalink)
    I tried oven bags many years ago - not great for a turkey - but roasts and chickens turned out pretty good. 

My answer to the perfect turkey:  buy one already smoked - you only have to reheat it in the oven for a short time and it comes out looking like it belongs on a magazine cover and is moist and the flavor is great.  Carve it up and the use the carcass for Thanksgiving gumbo the next  day. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1