Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cakes
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 01:34:17 (permalink)
I don't think so. That said I am just barely a cheeseburger. You have hundreds of posts so it is obvious to me and I am sure everyone else that you did not sign up to promote your friend's business.

The same cannot be said about the 2 blatent advertisers that we have seen in the last few weeks.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 08:08:56 (permalink)
Rick--i too have reccomended products made by a friend---but they really are good!!!And i really do like and use them.And i really dont make any money if you go there and spend!An honest reccomendation is just that---a free ad,especially one that is made to look like its not---is another matter altogether. The fact of the matter is that MOST of us, KNOW when we are doing somthing we shouldnt be doing. Were you doing that when you mentioned your friends product? I dont think so!
Edwaste
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 08:51:10 (permalink)
What I find curious is that I made several attempts to post a review of one of my favorite places, along with pictures and full details, and it never took.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 09:23:49 (permalink)
There is a huge difference between reccommending a product or place that you can personally choose vs a bias self promotion. How could the BBQ dude not be bias? It is his place and his money. There would be no credibility with his post.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 11:51:12 (permalink)
Rick, IMHO, it's cool recommending a product you like, whether you know the owner or not.

And I think tiki is referring to Loveras. I'm going to recommend this place for him; I've ordered from there a few times since tiki spoke about it last fall. I even ordered one of the food baskets for my sister for Christmas. http://www.loveras-italian.com/

They have possibly the best bottled Italian dressing I've ever had.
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 12:13:42 (permalink)
Rick, I agree with the others. Anything that can help in our Roadfood quest is a blessing. Now, buy my vintage hula hoops.

On another note, it is also bad to think you are a nepotist just because you like a friend's work. I had a friend who was an assistant curator at a museum in Connecticut. During an open-air competition, she did not take the judges to see my work. I was speaking casually with one of the judges right before the awards were decided. He was surprised to learn I was showing, and he wanted to see my work. I won the museum first prize, and they bought one of my paintings for the museum. Moral: friends can be just as much of a hinderance as a help.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 12:26:13 (permalink)
Thanks, folks. I didn't think I had goofed up, but wanted to make sure.
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1188
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 14:39:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Biscuit

I vote for Jim's elevation to honorary "Health Inspector" status! Good eye

Or on NPR's Car Talk, he could assist the Director of Covert Operations, Donatella Nobody.
Ashley Wilkes
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 19:56:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Edwaste

What I find curious is that I made several attempts to post a review of one of my favorite places, along with pictures and full details, and it never took.

Edwaste, what do you mean that your review never took? Did you have a technical problem? I have posted three reviews so far. I had some minor issues that needed to be resolved a couple of times and my review got delayed, but my reviews were always posted.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 21:39:33 (permalink)
Sorry SD7, I thought it was in Cleveland Ohio....
Edwaste
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 22:54:28 (permalink)
I don't know, I uploaded everthing required, filled out all of the info, submitted my story, and everything looked o.k. I left it with a status of "waiting for approval", but it never gets posted.
Ashley Wilkes
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/07 23:11:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Edwaste

I don't know, I uploaded everthing required, filled out all of the info, submitted my story, and everything looked o.k. I left it with a status of "waiting for approval", but it never gets posted.

Well, send a memo to Stephen Rushmore asking him for an update on the status of your review.

I had a review that Stephen couldn't see because of a bug and my review got hung in la-la land. I bugged Stephen and he fixed the problem..
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/08 09:20:18 (permalink)
Jim: I took several photos but I am not sure how to post them. Maybe I could send to Bushie. How do I get my comments and hotos on the site?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/08 11:14:58 (permalink)
Sundance, try the "Submit a Review" feature on the homepage. It sounds like there have been some bug fixes that might allow you to get it on there.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/08 14:31:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

Rick, IMHO, it's cool recommending a product you like, whether you know the owner or not.

And I think tiki is referring to Loveras. I'm going to recommend this place for him; I've ordered from there a few times since tiki spoke about it last fall. I even ordered one of the food baskets for my sister for Christmas. http://www.loveras-italian.com/

They have possibly the best bottled Italian dressing I've ever had.

Thanks for the comments on Lovera's---i will pass on your comments--its will be appereciated---btw--i happen to agree wiith ypou on the dressing---you should taste it fresh at the house!!!!!
Donna Douglass
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/10 14:00:53 (permalink)
For the life of me I cannot find Sundancer's review of John G's Bar-b-que and Steakhouse anywhere. Can someone please guide me to it?

Have a great time all of you participating in the Tennessee BBQ weekend. What fun!

Donna
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/10 14:10:49 (permalink)
I have not a complete review yet. I was sort of waiting on Bushie to help me show a few prints. Another poster ask me for the bottom line and here it is:

Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Whats the bottom line on the Cleveland TN bbq place, since it might be a bit before we see the full review?

Bottom line is BBQ is average, place is neat and clean, highly decorated with pictures of BBQ pigs, three kinds of slaw (vinegar, mustard and creamy sweet) watery Brunswick stew, poor chili, roaring hot jalapeno cheese soup.

Service was excellent particularly Sandy. Place was crowded for a Saturday noon lunch.

Ribs were between very tender to hard and chewy, pork chopped or pulled was tasty and beef pulled was OK. They had a whole collection of hot sauces and had two types of BBQ sauce. The sweet was the best.

The owner was not present during my visit.

For Cleveland Tennessee, probably pretty good but for folks that are use to good BBQ, this ain't your place.

I remind folks that this was in my opinion only. I am not a expert in BBQ and I only know what I like. It appears that the place is well run and profitable

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18664
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/10 14:22:41 (permalink)
Thank you Sundancer.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/10 15:30:36 (permalink)
Thankee
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/10 22:13:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I have not a complete review yet. I was sort of waiting on Bushie to help me show a few prints. Another poster ask me for the bottom line and here it is:

Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Whats the bottom line on the Cleveland TN bbq place, since it might be a bit before we see the full review?

Bottom line is BBQ is average, place is neat and clean, highly decorated with pictures of BBQ pigs, three kinds of slaw (vinegar, mustard and creamy sweet) watery Brunswick stew, poor chili, roaring hot jalapeno cheese soup.

Service was excellent particularly Sandy. Place was crowded for a Saturday noon lunch.

Ribs were between very tender to hard and chewy, pork chopped or pulled was tasty and beef pulled was OK. They had a whole collection of hot sauces and had two types of BBQ sauce. The sweet was the best.

The owner was not present during my visit.

For Cleveland Tennessee, probably pretty good but for folks that are use to good BBQ, this ain't your place.

I remind folks that this was in my opinion only. I am not a expert in BBQ and I only know what I like. It appears that the place is well run and profitable

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer,
If my thrifting travels ever take me to Cleveland, Tennessee, I will be sure to try the place. It sounds serviceable (you aren't going to starve there) but not worth even a detour from McDonald, which is,like, 11 miles down the road. It is surely not Sternable by any stretch of the imagination.
Unhungrily (At The Moment: Things Do Change), Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/11 07:00:22 (permalink)
Good review---thanks---dont think i need to add it my list off "drive miles off my route for it" places,
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/02/11 08:33:26 (permalink)
Thanks for the review. The fact that you don't consider yourself a BBQ expert is actually beneficial to someone like me, who is also no expert.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/03/02 10:02:04 (permalink)
Is anyone else bothered that this place remains listed, even without a review?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/03/02 10:09:30 (permalink)
I'll add here that I personally only want to see reviews of places that were/are good.

I realize that the number of mediocre and bad restaurants out there greatly outnumbers the good ones, but figure why waste space posting a review here unless at least one person has foudn it to be of very good (or better) quality.

My ongoing assumption about this site is that only the upper echelon in terms of food quality are listed here, while acknowleging that quality will wax or wane over time at a given restaurant...

That said, since the one real review so far has said the food is mediocre at best, I'd also prefer to see the review dropped.
angelfood
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/03/02 11:00:22 (permalink)
Whether it stays or goes, I would rather have seen a photo of a plate of BBQ and fixings than a potato. That just seemed odd. JMHO.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/03/02 11:04:31 (permalink)
SteveFinn:

I don't think I expressed myself well....

1) I'm not a moderator, just in case you may have thought I was, I'm just a reader and poster, same as you.

2) I'm not advocating censorship of the forums. People should discuss anything (withi topical boundaries, which are pretty broad, imho) they want within those confines, including 'such and such a restaurant was not good, service bad, food not fresh' and etc. And people do.

3) What I am advocating is that only the upper echelon of restaurants get actual posted Reviews with pics. I look to the reviews for the gems, the rare finds, the hidden regional treasures - and for the most part, that's what you'll find there. I just don't see the need for the mediocre and poor restaurants to appear there - I can find those in abundance all over America. That's what originally came to this site to find, and I think that's what most people expect to find there.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 773
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/03/02 11:38:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevefinn

I'm not sure how much clearer someone can be than to say that they own "my place" in the review and then invite people to come sample it. That doesn't seem like deception to me.

Steve, in the review, he did not state it was his place. He wrote it as if he were a customer. The only way JiminKY knew that it was indeed written by the owner, was because he has said as such on the fora. It was when this was pointed out that the review got deleted. A review on the fora and a Review in the Roadfood database are two different things. I think if he had stated as such in his review for the database, the people that run the site might have been more forgiving of it.
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2130
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/03/03 09:36:20 (permalink)
You guys made me aware of a bug in the Roadfood search database. This restaurant should not be listed because no "Active" review is associated to it. It is fixed now.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Owner sneaks free review onto Roadfood.com 2004/03/03 10:41:22 (permalink)
Thanks Stephen!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1