Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe?

Author
dadetigl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
2007/01/15 19:35:20 (permalink)

Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe?

I lived in New Orleans about 25 years or so ago and my favorite soup there besides Gumbo Ya-Ya was Oyster and Artichoke soup from a place called LeRuth's. I used to make it at home and had a recipe from the local paper. That recipe has been lost over the years and I think LeRuth's is long gone.
Reading this forum has made me think of soups I really liked and crave again.
It was cream-based with bits or chunks of oysters and artichokes. There was some lemon juice in it too. It wasn't that hard to make, I just don't remember all the ingrediants and their quantities.
Any ideas?

13 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18450
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/15 19:48:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dadetigl

I lived in New Orleans about 25 years or so ago and my favorite soup there besides Gumbo Ya-Ya was Oyster and Artichoke soup from a place called LeRuth's. I used to make it at home and had a recipe from the local paper. That recipe has been lost over the years and I think LeRuth's is long gone.
    Reading this forum has made me think of soups I really liked and crave again.
    It was cream-based with bits or chunks of oysters and artichokes. There was some lemon juice in it too. It wasn't that hard to make, I just don't remember all the ingrediants and their quantities.
    Any ideas?

How about this?
    http://www.gumbopages.com/food/soups/ersta-choke.html

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/15 19:56:33 (permalink)
    Here's a bisque recipe that might be what you're looking for.

http://www.recipezaar.com/16530
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8363
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/15 20:05:59 (permalink)
    I will definately be making that soon....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/15 20:47:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

I will definately be making that soon....

Which?
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/15 20:53:53 (permalink)
    Wow, that looks like it. I don't remember about the thyme or the sherry. I don't remember using sherry because it would, in my opinion, detract from the delicate flavors of the oysters and the artichokes. As a side note, some sweet, older ladies at the country club where I worked in NO would sometimes ask me for only a half cup of Turtle Soup and then request me to fill the cup to the top with sherry. It made them happy and they would slip me a tip under the table, but sherry can overpower a soup.
    Anyway, I think I used to do everything in your recipe except after the 45 min. to an hour I would remove about 1/4 of the vege chunks and the put the rest in a blender or cuisinart and whirl it really fine. That added the overall flavor of the artichokes and smoothed out the soup. I do love artichokes. Return it to the pot and add the chunks of veges, oysters and cream. Let it come up to temp. and serve.
    Oh, man. Thanks for the ingediants that I had forgotten.
    porkbeaks
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/15 21:09:40 (permalink)
    I have to confess to posting the bisque recipe without completely reading your post. My wife and I were lucky enough to have dinner at Le Ruth's in, I believe 1984 and, to this day, I rank it as one of my top 3 eating experiences. Le Ruth's was so popular at that time that the bartender at Arnaud's offered us $100 for the 2 person reservation should we, for some reason, decide not to go. If the recipe provided by Mr. Hoffman is Warren LeRuth's or even close, it should be fantastic. -pb
    dadetigl
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/15 23:38:48 (permalink)
    From the mid-70's to the early 80's LeRuth's was one of the best places to eat in New Orleans. That was before the Cajun era popularity. My wife and I would eat at home (not an easy thing to do living there) and save our money for a month so we could dine out at one of New Orleans many fine dining establishments. It was always a treat. LeRuth's was always a favorite. We always had great food there, but the Oyster and Artichoke soup is the dish I remember after all these years. Go figure.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/15 23:48:36 (permalink)
    My God, Mr Hoffman, that soup recipe sounds unbelievably good. First time I've heard of this particular combination, but I think I'll definitely have to break down and make it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/16 00:01:14 (permalink)
    My wife and I had dinner at LeRuth's in, I think, 1969. We never had that soup, but I do remmeber that the food was an absolute delight.
    gcw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/16 02:09:45 (permalink)
    From my much loved cookbook "Jambalaya" produced by the Junior League of New Orleans:

Oyster and Artichoke Soup

4 artichokes
    1 stick butter
    1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
    1 outer rib celery with leaves, finely chopped
    1 medium carrot, scraped and chopped
    1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
    2 cloves garlic, pressed
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1 bay leaf
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 quart chicken stock, warmed
    1/4 teaspoon ainse seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspooon Worchestershire sauce
    1 quart oysters and their liquir
    1/2 cup vermouth
    14 cup white wine
    1/4 cup half and half cream
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    Grated rind of one lemon

Cook artichokes. Scrape leaves, chop hearts, and reserve. In a 4-quart heavy pot, melt butter, saute onions, celery, carrot, parsley, garlic, thyme and bay leaf until celery and carrot are tender. Add scrapings and hearts; stir well. Slowly stir in flour, but do not brown. Slowly stir in stock. Add ainse, cayenne, salt and Worchester sauce. Simmer 15 minutes. Drain oysters, reserving liquid. Chop oysters and add with liquid to artichoke mixture. Cook over low heat 10 minutes. Add vermouth, white wine, half and half, lemon juice and lemon rind. Remove bay leaf. Blend until smooth. Heat.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8363
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/16 07:30:44 (permalink)
    I printed out your contribution,Mr.Hoffman-sounds fantastic and I love recipes from restaurants....
    porkbeaks
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/16 08:24:41 (permalink)
    On that same trip to New Orleans that included dinner at Le Ruth's, my wife and I also ate at another great restaurant that no longer exists, Corrinne Dunbar's in the garden district. Our appetizer was a dish which also featured oysters and artichokes...Oysters Dunbar. This was presented as a casserole, but I understand it can also be served "on the shell". It was a wonderful concoction and our introduction to the the perfect pairing of the two main ingredients. Here's a link to each variation. -pb

http://www.recipezaar.com/16530
    http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m1126W03.htm
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    RE: Oyster & Artichoke soup. Anyone have a recipe? 2007/01/24 20:53:32 (permalink)
    I have no recipe, but I do have an oyster/artichoke soup story.

In the early 90's my husband and I lived out in the country... out from Bovina, MS if you know the area... and there was a terific ice storm. Trees down, no power for a week in an all electric home, and my college son with a girl friend for the week end.No in or out because the roads were blocked by downed trees.

We stayed warm (sort of) by the fireplace, all sleeping on the den floor in sleeping bags. I cooked everything in the pantry in a black iron dutch oven in the fireplace.

When we could finally get into Vicksburg, we went to a (now gone) place called the Biscuit Coimpany. There I had oyster and artichoke soup, and to this day, it is one of the best things I have ever eaten!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1