The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3581
Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/13/10 1:16 PM (permalink)
I've been visiting in Oregon for a few weeks now and there is a nice trip report coming. I was so excited about today, however, that I had to write up something about the oysters immediately. I stopped at the Oregon Oyster Farms today on the Yaquina Bay, just outside Newport, Oregon. Even if you didn't see the sign, you'd know it was an oyster place, with the tons of shells on the ground and stretching into the bay.

The building itself is built on a pier over the river. There was a fishing boat (I'm assuming oyster) tied up to the dock when I walked to the end of the pier.

According to their website, the owners started Dan and Louis' Oyster Bar in Portland. Michael Stern's review of Dan and Louis' talks about the oysters being supplied from their own beds. I had come to the source.
Inside the retail store was a very pleasant young lady behind the counter. We had a nice discussion about oyster sizes and types. We also discussed opening them. She is much braver than I am these days! She opened a Kumumoto for me. The taste was magnificent, smooth and less briny than most. I debated on buying them, but settled on a pint of small pre-shucked fresh oysters and a container of their homemade cocktail sauce. She packed them in ice and I was on my way.

Back at my brother's house, I chopped a few stalks of celery and the green part of a few scallions. The small oysters were much larger than I expected. Two of them made a nice cocktail. Bonus---I have enough oysters for cocktails tomorrow too! After putting down the bed of celery and the oysters, I topped two with the cocktail sauce and the green onion and made a third without the sauce, adding just a splash of key lime juice. This is how they turned out.

Delicious!

Oregon Oyster Farms
6878 Yaquina Bay Road
Newport, Oregon 97365
541-265-5078
www.oregonoyster.com

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
    Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/13/10 1:48 PM (permalink)
    You lucky soul!  We bought several bushels here last year for weekend eating and they were so small, it was almost not even worth it.  I sure hope they come up to size this year, I'm ready!

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
      Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/13/10 2:13 PM (permalink)
      Ed, that is one beautiful appetizer! I'm very jealous!

plb

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/13/10 5:19 PM (permalink)
        I wish I had known about it.  I was through there last week.  I ended up eating at South Beach Fish and Mo's, both were fine but not great.

EdSails

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/13/10 7:40 PM (permalink)
          plb, I ate at Mo's before I went to the Oyster Farm. I felt the same, OK but not great. i think Mo's may be either overrated, or maybe just a victim of it's own success.
          Rusty, I know what you mean. I was in the Flora-Bama area in August, and had a hugely unsuccessful search for oysters. The one place I got them at had brought them in from Apalachiola, FL. They were about the size of a push-on pencil eraser, and IMHO, didn't taste much better. I was glad to see that at least oysters are alive and well in the Pacific Northwest!
          Thanks, agnesrob! They tasted as good as they look!
          <message edited by EdSails on Wed, 10/13/10 7:47 PM>

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/13/10 8:08 PM (permalink)
            Ed,

that's one of the few places I missed checking out when I lived in the Pacific NW- the Oregon Coast- Great report and good to have you back on the forum too- we missed ya'!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
              • Roadfood Insider
              Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/13/10 8:19 PM (permalink)
                That's a great shot of my table at Wintzell's Oyster House in Mobile the night we ate there with the Glee Club !!    While I am kidding, I felt like those could have been my discarded shells after that great night of Oyster devouring !!!!!
              We were at MO's in 2004 on our last visit to Oregon.  The Chowder and Halibut was very good, I think you're right the constant lime-light on TV can have a dulling effect on a places quality.

EdSails

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/13/10 9:43 PM (permalink)
                Mr. Mayor,
                When I was in Fairhope Alabama in August I excitedly returned to Guy's Gumbo Shack, a place that I raved about on Roadfood in 2004. Since then. DDD has visited it and brought it fame.

When I was there in August, the food just wasn't the same. The place had moved and was much bigger, with music now.....but it wasn't the gumbo I remembered.
                Dale,
                Thanks! Looking forward to meeting up again some time!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                  Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/13/10 11:20 PM (permalink)
                  Those look so good I'd have to try one.

Great presentation!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                    Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/13/10 11:56 PM (permalink)
                    Nice report. I like Mo's and love South Beach and i hope you just caught them on a bad day. Looking forward to you trip report, Ed.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                      Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/14/10 7:21 AM (permalink)
                      EdSails, Great report and pics.  Those oysters look fantastic.  And cheap too.  I was paying $24-$29 per dozen in Seattle restaurants and Pike's Market.

Sundancer7

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/14/10 4:49 PM (permalink)
                        Ed Sails:  I was there a few years ago and I was amazed at the size of the oysters.  I order six on the half shell and six fried.  They were so huge that I only ate about siz of the dozen.

This was one of my better drives in the USA.  I have driven all 50 states., all of Canada, all of central America, most of Europe and this one was great.  I drove from San Diego to Washington State.  We stopped at Newport and enjoyed the oysters.  Thanks from restoring this memory to me.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                          Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Sat, 10/16/10 8:57 PM (permalink)
                          nice looking oysters Edsails, good find.

EdSails

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Sun, 10/17/10 12:55 AM (permalink)
                            Thanks, sk bob. It was definitely one of the highlight of my trip and the oysters were by far the best I had in Oregon.

Trask

• Total Posts: 114
                              Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/21/10 10:17 AM (permalink)
                              Making my mouth water looking at those gems! Newport is always a fun seaport town any time of year. I always go for the larger sized oysters whether it be for shooters or frying. Way more value for your money. Besides raw, I enjoy them most steamed. In Tillamook I go to Pearl Point Oyster, which have their beds in Netarts Bay nearby, and buy one or two dozen medium to large. They sell in the shell only. After eating one or two raw I can barely manage to squeeze the rest in a 12 quart pot and steam them until they just open. Then enjoy with maybe a little butter and a beer. Yum!
                              One place we found that does a great job with oysters is Shuckers located in the south end of Lincoln City, Or.

EdSails

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/21/10 6:38 PM (permalink)
                                Trask,
                                Didn't make it to Tillamook this time although I had originally planned to. Nice to hear there's an oyster place there for next time. Is there much in Tillamook besides the cheese factory?

Trask

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/21/10 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                  No, Ed.  Not as far as commercial tourist traps are concerned, but that's a good thing. Lots of natural wonders and opportunities to gather your own wonderful treats. Although oysters are private,  there is good clam digging, berry picking, crabbing and fishing. Spots like Oceanside, Netarts Bay and Cape Mears are gems. I keep my boat at the port of Garibaldi and fish and crab during most of the year. Try a shrimp louie and oyster stew at the Pirates Cove restaurant just north of Garibaldi. From Neskowin to the south and Manzanita to the north, Tillamook County is a very nice and scenic part of the coast. And if you get this far, it's a worthwhile trip up to Astoria.

EdSails

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/21/10 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                    Trask, I really enjoyed Astoria. Will be writing up about it and the oyster stew I had there. I wish I had spent more than a day in Astoria---seems like a neat place. Sounds like I need to change the type of boats I dabble in--sailboats seemed very uncommon up there but I saw plenty of Boston Whaler type boats to tempt me. I'm definitely planning a coast drive there in the future.

Trask

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/21/10 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                      Yes, Astoria is a great town. My wife's family is from there. Doogers is my favorite place for clam chowder. Just south of Astoria in Warrenton. I used to have a Boston Whaler but now have a 20' Shamrock center console. I take it in the ocean and Tillamook Bay. Spring for clamming, crabbing and summer for coho salmon. Let me know when you are up this way by p.m. Check out youtube videos. Do a search for "Koptiuch" for Steve's crabbing, clamming, etc.

EdSails

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/21/10 10:43 PM (permalink)
                                        Trask

Yes, Astoria is a great town. My wife's family is from there. Doogers is my favorite place for clam chowder. Just south of Astoria in Warrenton. I used to have a Boston Whaler but now have a 20' Shamrock center console. I take it in the ocean and Tillamook Bay. Spring for clamming, crabbing and summer for coho salmon. Let me know when you are up this way by p.m. Check out youtube videos. Do a search for "Koptiuch" for Steve's crabbing, clamming, etc.

Will do. I actually took a drive thru Warrenton when I was staying in Gearhart including a drive thru the city center. Nice little town, very rustic. I went by the marina--maybe I saw your boat!

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                          Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/27/10 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                          EdSails

plb, I ate at Mo's before I went to the Oyster Farm. I felt the same, OK but not great. i think Mo's may be either overrated, or maybe just a victim of it's own success.
                                          Rusty, I know what you mean. I was in the Flora-Bama area in August, and had a hugely unsuccessful search for oysters. The one place I got them at had brought them in from Apalachiola, FL. They were about the size of a push-on pencil eraser, and IMHO, didn't taste much better. I was glad to see that at least oysters are alive and well in the Pacific Northwest!
                                          Thanks, agnesrob! They tasted as good as they look!

I live about 100 miles from Apalachicola.  I don't know where you purchased your oysters from; but it sounds as if you got rooked.  The ones I have seen since the time you mentioned up until now have been medium to large plump and meaty ones with a fresh briny taste. 

EdSails

Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Wed, 10/27/10 8:19 PM (permalink)
                                            Adjudicator,
                                            Doc's Seafood in Orange Beach, AL. Granted, they were on a po'boy, but I have never seen them cut into small chunks like this before. Every po' boy I have had before had the type of whole oysters you described on it. They supposedly had them on the half shell, so we were going to return at dinner, but I was so turned off by them that I decided to pass.
                                            I will have to try Apalacicola oysters again when I return to the area. It very well might have been the place.
                                            Ed
                                            <message edited by EdSails on Thu, 10/28/10 7:57 PM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                              Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/28/10 8:25 AM (permalink)
                                              Oh my, Ed, I dont think I have ever experienced oysters such as the ones you shared!!!!I am definately in the wrong place....

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                                                Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/28/10 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                                It all looks so delicious!  We have nothing like that around here.  Thanks for the great pics and info.

Andrea

bdtn

• Total Posts: 98
                                                  Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/28/10 11:23 AM (permalink)
                                                  med oyaters in oregon are like 12 inches long
                                                  the ex small are eastern size 3-4 inches
                                                  the exotic oysters in or run smaller like the komoto which is japanese ther are no native oregon they where brough from other areas

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                                    Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/28/10 7:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    EdSails

Adjudicator,
                                                    Doc's Seafood in Ocean Beach, AL. Granted, they were on a po'boy, but I have never seen them cut into small chunks like this before. Every po' boy I have had before had the type of whole oysters you described on it. They supposedly had them on the half shell, so we were going to return at dinner, but I was so turned off by them that I decided to pass.
                                                    I will have to try Apalacicola oysters again when I return to the area. It very well might have been the place.
                                                    Ed

I have never heard of "cut" oysters as you describe.  That is a waste of good seafood.  Good Lord.

EdSails

• Location: Mission Viejo, CA
                                                      Re:Oyster Cocktails and a Visit to Oregon Oyster Farms Thu, 10/28/10 8:01 PM (permalink)
                                                      Adjudicator

I have never heard of "cut" oysters as you describe.  That is a waste of good seafood.  Good Lord.

I agree completely. If they'd had decent oysters I would have probably eaten three more meals there. Instead, I'm letting everyone know how unhappy I was. I have never seen oysters fried in little chunks before. Pretty horrendous!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                        • No New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                        • Read Message
                                                        • Post New Thread
                                                        • Reply to message
                                                        • Post New Poll
                                                        • Submit Vote
                                                        • Post reward post
                                                        • Delete my own posts
                                                        • Delete my own threads
                                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com