Oyster (and clams if you'd like)

Author
SouthHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
2005/01/21 18:25:37 (permalink)

Oyster (and clams if you'd like)

Favorite oysters:
In the PacNW, they have many different kinds of oysters. I believe they are mostly labeled according to where they're harvested. One thing is for sure, the oysters out there are a whole lot different from the oyster on the east coast.
They are much fuller, in that they have a deeper shell that contains more meat, and they seem to grow bigger. Their "smalls" are bigger than most east coast oysters. "Mediums" are like steaks. Fry up a 1/2 dozen and you're going to be more than full.
Most important, the taste is much fuller and more salty and the texture is firmer.
I love oysters no matter where they're from. The ones I had once on the northern gulf coast in a little town called. . . I think St. Marks(?) in a little oyster place were great, but nothing beats a Washington State oyster.
The PacNW is to oysters what New Eng. is to clams.

13 Replies Related Threads

Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/01/21 18:44:52 (permalink)
    Being just 45 minutes away from the Gulf all we USUALLY have here are Cedar Key oysters which are a smaller rounded oyster or Apalachicola oysters which are more of an elongated type oyster both are usually fairly salty and always best after we've had a cold snap. I personally prefer the Cedar Key but will eat either, fried, raw, roasted, steamed, you name it. We occasionally have oysters by the pints from Washington(don't recall where exactly)which I have made stew from and found that they had only mass, no flavor, same as some(which were ALL mass)in NOLA I had at a raw bar. I'm not knocking either, I just think these from the Gulf can't be beat. I'm not real experienced in the clam department but had some in October at our seafood festival, they were steamed and they were excellent.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/01/21 20:30:14 (permalink)
    I love the oyster roasts in the SC Lowcountry. Clusters of local creek oysters steamed in a pot for just a few minutes, they're small, salty and out of this world. I love oysters too- big time!
    SouthHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/01/26 09:49:35 (permalink)
    Hmmm, I thought this would be a hot topic. . . I guess you guys have already cover it somewhere.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1983
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/01/26 10:15:33 (permalink)
    .......but it is still a good subject. I enjoy the "search" function on this site. It is easy to check what has been covered if you are wondering. You can even bring an "old" subject back to life if you like. To me the New Orleans Oyster Po' Boy is every bit as good as a whole belly clam roll here in New England.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/01/26 10:24:32 (permalink)
    TMiles---yep---being a New Englander by birth i would have to say that they are both masterpeices!!!--i also like some of the oysters from the Pacific---north of SanFrancisco---had some up there in Calif's :Lost Coast " area that wher small and wonderfully sweet---we would lay them on a grill over hot coals till they just started to open and pop them down!!! wonderful---not really cooked through and oh so sweet and salty both!!!
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/02/04 14:26:59 (permalink)
    I prefer the oysters from the Gulf and like them raw or fried --- have never much cared for the oyster stews or the canned oysters, but I do like them scalloped in a dressing. My mom always makes a great scalloped oyster dressing for Thanksgiving, and it is one of the dishes I look most forward to.

Andrea

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4014
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/02/08 18:35:23 (permalink)
    One of my favorite ways to eat oysters (second, because raw is best!) is the way they do it on the CA coast north of San Francisco. There you drive along Highway 1 and find places with Weber BBQ's going outside. They take local oysters and take the top shell off. They then take BBQ sauce (use your favorite, I like a not too sweet, spicy type) and put a dollop on the oyster. Put them on the grill till they bubble and the oysters are heated thoroughly. Yummy yum yum!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/02/09 10:33:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

One of my favorite ways to eat oysters (second, because raw is best!) is the way they do it on the CA coast north of San Francisco. There you drive along Highway 1 and find places with Weber BBQ's going outside. They take local oysters and take the top shell off. They then take BBQ sauce (use your favorite, I like a not too sweet, spicy type) and put a dollop on the oyster. Put them on the grill till they bubble and the oysters are heated thoroughly. Yummy yum yum!

There was a place along there I stopped at many years ago that did that. (Can't remember the name of the place.) It was an open-air place that grilled huge oysters with BBQ sauce.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/02/09 10:44:37 (permalink)
    One of my favorite, most consistant, oyster places is The Oyster Pub in Daytona Beach ... get them lighly steamed.

At home, I like to take a big-ol' Northwest Oyster and get it over a ROOOARING fire (one that won't be diminished by the dribbles of oyster juice and put the oysters on til they pop open ... lightly grilled, lightly steamed at once.

Most good oysters need no sauce -- I think I do it just for the ritual.
    lobster
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/04/25 19:03:11 (permalink)
    Last summer some friends and myself boated out to an island in Washington and camped for the weekend for the purpose of clamming and oystering. We ate many of the oysters raw on the beach for dinner. Being so fresh the oyster liquer and the oysters were saltier those that had been harvested, transported and stored on ice for a longer time. They were excellent. We also barbequed some with several butter compotes (butter, shallots, garlic, herbs) that were made ahead before the trip. Also we ate steamed clams and clams with spaggetti that night. I need to go back this summer and repeat this ritual. The oysters we harvested I believe were of the pacifica species. Washington is now growing more of the native Olympia species that is fickle and were almost wiped out at one point. These are small, very flavorfull, and absolutely wonerfull.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/04/25 21:16:01 (permalink)
    Friday night we had a couple dozen magnificent salty sweet big Chesapeake Bay oysters from our local fish monger. Gail opened them, I made up a sauce mignonette, and we feasted on the oysters and a couple of icy cold Martinis.

Cheers, John
    HungryChris
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/05/22 08:57:24 (permalink)
    I am partial to the Bluepoints from around here. The first ones I ever had were cooked in a garlic cheese sauce with chopped spinach, next came broiled in scampi butter with fresh baked bread on the side. Finally, raw on the half shell with a little lemon and cocktail sauce. Once I learned to open them myself, they never make it far from the kitchen sink where I open them with lemon and sauce at the ready. I like mignonette, but sip it like a chaser, don't know why, but just do. Twice I have had oysters in Las Vegas that looked good and fresh, but just lacked the salty flavor of good old Bluepoints.
    Cheers,
    HC
    clamdigger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Oyster (and clams if you'd like) 2005/07/11 15:29:04 (permalink)
    I have a question. I have never eaten oysters before but I LOVE clams and pretty much all seafood (scallops. mussels, lobster). Can somebody describe to me what oysters taste like and if they think I would like them baste on my seafood tastes?

I live in northern Maine (Lincoln) and have always wanted to glutton some of those big sons of b*****s to teach them a lesson. I figured I would steam them with butter like a clam because I'm not into the raw thing. Do they open up like a clam when done?

Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1