Oyster stew

blue heaven
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 547
2010/03/06 08:50:08 (permalink)

Oyster stew

Hi does anyone have a recipe for oyster stew?  I do not have a double boiler and I was wondering if it is necessary to make this stew.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

3 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Oyster stew 2010/03/06 20:48:58 (permalink)
    Yes, don't even attempt it without a double boiler - or buy a $$$$  steamer like they use at the Grand Central Oyster Bar.

Cheers, John 
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Oyster stew 2010/03/06 21:44:09 (permalink)
    A double boiler makes things a lot easier, but if you don't want to invest in one, here are a couple of recipes not using a double boiler:
    (Just make sure you don't leave the kitchen or get interrupted while making it.)
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Oyster stew 2010/03/07 09:16:33 (permalink)
    A double boiler isn't necessary if you keep the heat low enough so that it doesn't go above a simmer but most people are too impatient for that. 
    Here's one of my favorite oyster stew recipes for when I want a change from the basic.
    4 slices bacon
    1 cup thinly sliced leeks
    1 cup thinly sliced celery
    1/ 8 tsp. cayenne pepper
    3 cups half-and-half
    2 cups milk
    1 1/ 2 pints shucked oysters and liquor
    2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    2 cups thinly sliced raw spinach leaves
    Salt and black pepper
    1 Tbs. butter (optional)
    Oyster crackers to serve with stew
    In a large heavy saucepan or soup kettle, fry the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towel, crumble and reserve. Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of drippings from the skillet.
    Add the leek and celery and saute over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Stir in the cayenne pepper.
    Add the half-and-half and the milk and bring to a simmer. Add the oysters (cut large ones in half) and the Worcestershire sauce. Return to a simmer. Stir in the spinach and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the spinach is just wilted and the oysters are cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Swirl in the optional butter, if used, and serve immediately in large, shallow bowls. Sprinkle each bowl with the reserved bacon.
    Jump to:
    © 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1