The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () ()

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 4:07 PM (permalink)
Anyone besides me use canned oysters? I know, I know, fresh is WAY beter but...

I make a sour cream dip w/ the juice and a fake Oysters Rockefeller with the oysters. I also put them in gumbo. They are cheep and easy to have on hand.

I stumbled upon the BumbleBee web site and they had lots of recipes. Do and roadfooders besides me make anything w/ these oysters?
Joe

Wendy62

• Total Posts: 81
    RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 4:36 PM (permalink)
    I love those things (don't do anything much with them though). I eat them as a snack, interchangeably with canned smoked oysters. A cracker, a shake or two of hot sauce, maybe some pepper... What's not to like?

PapaJoe8

RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 5:13 PM (permalink)
      I agree Windy! I like to snack em also. Have you seen the "smoked oysters" thread here? Some creative ideas!
      Joe

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 6:21 PM (permalink)
        you'll not have my nose snubbed at you for using canned oysters. I use them more often than real oysters. In dips, soups, gumbo, stews and snacks.

Wendy62

RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 6:37 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by PapaJoe8

I agree Windy! I like to snack em also. Have you seen the "smoked oysters" thread here? Some creative ideas!
          Joe

I certainly will now!

PapaJoe8

RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 6:56 PM (permalink)
            Score, thanks! Now for the tips on how you make that stuff.

For my Oysters Rockefeller... I fry some bacon, drain the oysters and spread them in an oven dish, heat some drained canned (or frozen is better) spinach in butter and lots of lemon pepper, plop some hot sauce and mayo on each oyster, then top w/ the bacon and spinach, top w/ some parmesan cheese, broil in the oven for a few, and wala. Pretty tasty stuff. I made them for a thanksgiving snack last year and everyone brave enough to try one came back for more. Many were not so brave as to try one! I always try to make a hoardevor that most of my family is scared to try. It's a tradetion. It's fun to watch them try to decide.
            Joe

PapaJoe8

RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 7:06 PM (permalink)
              Lots of great stuff here Windy but it takes some time to find it all. Hey, thats half the fun. Glad to have you at roadfood!
              Joe

lbjack

• Total Posts: 19
                RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 7:12 PM (permalink)
                I make scalloped oysters with canned oysters. I love fresh ones, but living in Illinois it is almost impossible to get fresh ones. I use oysters, crackers, milnot, hot sauce and butter and then bake them. They are one of our favorite holiday dishes. Linda

PapaJoe8

RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 7:29 PM (permalink)
                  That sounds great Linda! Is Milnot canned milk available at most stores?
                  Joe

Wendy62

RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 7:34 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Lots of great stuff here Windy but it takes some time to find it all. Hey, thats half the fun. Glad to have you at roadfood!
                    Joe

And I'm so glad to be here, hee, this place makes work fun.

...Only I couldn't find the other thread. I looked through all ten pages.

PapaJoe8

RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 7:39 PM (permalink)
                      Shoot Windy, I'll find it and bring it active, pretty sure it's in the seafood section.
                      Joe

PapaJoe8

RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 7:47 PM (permalink)
                        The smoked oyster thread is active now for those who have an interest. It's in the seafood section.
                        Joe

salsailsa

• Total Posts: 405
                          RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Wed, 10/25/06 9:42 PM (permalink)
                          We can't buy oysters in a can here. The only canned oysters we get are the smoked ones, which I love. We can get fresh shucked ones in a jar and of course unshucked ones.

How much does one of these cans cost? The jars are about $8.00.

PapaJoe8

RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Thu, 10/26/06 11:40 AM (permalink)
                            They sell the raw oysters in jars here in Texas also. They are kept cold in the fish section of the store.

The cans, like BumbleBee are boiled. I get them for $1 or so. I also get a brand called Crown Prince at Wall Mart. Both brands taste the same to me. Salsa, maybe the sell the cans somewhere up where you live. Even the dollar stores have them here.
                            Joe

Phish Phetcher

• Total Posts: 13
                              RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Thu, 10/26/06 1:06 PM (permalink)
                              My mother makes a great oyster stuffing for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

PapaJoe8

RE: Oysters in a can, not the smoked ones () () () Thu, 10/26/06 1:10 PM (permalink)
                                I think there was a stuffing recipe at the BumbleBee site? Oyster stuffing sounds great to me but would never fly for holidays here in Texas, not with my family anyway.
                                Joe

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com