Oysters--The Best

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Stonewall
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
2005/06/18 18:13:42 (permalink)

Oysters--The Best

The best oyster that I've ever eaten are from Chincoteague, Va. They are Ocean side oysters and they are naturally SALTY....They are unbelievable....You've got to try them..

50 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15185
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/18 19:21:38 (permalink)

NO NO, The best Oysters I've ever had were served at Humpy's in Anchorage, Alaska...They were cold and naturally salty. You must try them!!

Oh, The best oysters anywhere were served to Poverty Pete, Janet, and I in a brewhouse in Savannah last year..Salty and garlicy and Outstanding !

The best are found in Newport OR, or Bowen's island S C or...or...

Oysters--fresh oysters-- seem to be outstanding in many locations around the country! I am sure those you mention can be well-described as the "Best" also !

Yeah, even after a steak and sweet corn dinner an hour ago, I could be interested in 4 or 5 dozen fresh chilled Oysters for a great dessert!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/18 19:26:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

NO NO, The best Oysters I've ever had were served at Humpy's in Anchorage, Alaska...They were cold and naturally salty. You must try them!!

Oh, The best oysters anywhere were served to Poverty Pete, Janet, and I in a brewhouse in Savannah last year..Salty and garlicy and Outstanding !

The best are found in Newport OR, or Bowen's island S C or...or...

Oysters--fresh oysters-- seem to be outstanding in many locations around the country! I am sure those you mention can be well-described as the "Best" also !

Yeah, even after a steak and sweet corn dinner an hour ago, I could be interested in 4 or 5 dozen fresh chilled Oysters for a great dessert!

"Yeah, even after a steak and sweet corn dinner an hour ago, I could be interested in 4 or 5 dozen fresh chilled Oysters for a great dessert!"

Stirring the "pot", I see...

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/18 20:21:24 (permalink)

Adjudicator...I have a great roadtrip for you. You need to sign up for the reenactment of that famous High Sierra Wagon-Train Traveling Pot-Luck Dinner. Enroll now to BE a dinner as part of the New Donner Party BBQ and Undocumented Alien Buffet.
    Sheesch...Stir the Pot...
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/18 20:28:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Adjudicator...I have a great roadtrip for you. You need to sign up for the reenactment of that famous High Sierra Wagon-Train Traveling Pot-Luck Dinner. Enroll now to BE a dinner as part of the New Donner Party BBQ and Undocumented Alien Buffet.
    Sheesch...Stir the Pot...

No Donner party BBQ tonight Al -- Too much home cookin'... U in a bad mood tonight? "Stirrin' the pot". I was only trying to complement your recent meal & the fact that I wasn't having such.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/18 20:48:53 (permalink)

UUUURP! All is Forgiven !
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/18 21:45:52 (permalink)
    oysters................................ love em
    My favorite thing is to close my eyes, suck in an ice cold raw oyster roll it around in my mouth, chew it good before swallowing and then tell you where that oyster came from ... what ocean, what coast, what state, what bay or water way it came from. I can usually be within 80% correct. If I open my eyes and see the oyster I can be almost 100% correct. What a wine snob is to wine I'm to oysters, cigars and coffee. Now what is my favorite? .. living on the West coast for the last 40 years I hate very much to admit that cold north west coast oysters are my least favorite. They are too metallic tasting and leave an after taste as if you had a copper penny in your mouth.
    I prefer the East coast oyster first from Wellfleet/Cape Cod and second same Blue Point oyster from Long Island, NY................ No. # 3 on my list is the oysters from the Louisiana coast as served at Acme Oysters Bar/NO or Wintzell's Oyster House/Mobile.
    I love to eat oysters any time of the day or night but I best love them for breakfast served like this. 6 medium sized ice cold oysters 4 on ice and 2 chopped up and added to 3 eggs for scrambling, white toast and butter and black strong Ethiopian/Java coffee.
    ........................... and a Cuban Partagas cigar ....... puff puff heaven can wait cuz I'm in heaven now!
    pappy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/18 23:07:56 (permalink)
    Alright Al, now you got our saliva glands working overtime here... steak AND oysters... sounds like our kind of eatin'... Pappy and I would rather eat several dozen icy cold oysters than just about anything.... We love the fire outta them...
    Back in the early 60's there used to be a little joint on the northern shore of Tampa Bay over in Oldsmar that served up oysters and beer.. Oysters were a dime each back then... and we spent lots and lots of dimes in that place. In fact that is where I ate my very first icy cold oyster. It took me about a half hour to get that first one into my mouth, but once I did, I was tee totally hooked... YUUUUM...

Mrs. Pappy
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/18 23:14:53 (permalink)
    Had grilled Pacific oysters last night at Pal"s Shanty in Portland, Oregon. The thread reminded me of that wondrous meal.
    jellybear
    • Total Posts : 1135
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/21 09:12:37 (permalink)
    I guess you never heard of Stump Sound Oysters,You would never eat another oyster after tasting these.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/21 16:02:54 (permalink)
    LOVE THEM .. probably the BEST i've ever had was at a place in new orleans called ( mind the spelling) lamoynes landing...... they were the freshest i'd ever had.... we'd eat them by the dozens............ hmmm with an ice cold dixie beer.. talk about an awesome combo....... it was the best!!!!:)
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/26 16:46:06 (permalink)
    The absolute best place to find oysters is in the half-shell on an iced platter sitting right in front of you!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/26 16:54:38 (permalink)
    (A) ... Go down the road to Pike's Market

(B) ... Load up on fresh oysters from Jack's Seafood live tank

(C) ... Build ROARING fire

(D) ... Grill oysters until the just pop open (lightly steamed)

(E) ... Drink beer (ideally a Mac & Jack's -- except you can only get it by the keg)
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/06/26 20:34:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by olphart

The absolute best place to find oysters is in the half-shell on an iced platter sitting right in front of you!

AMEN!!!!! that definitely is the best place to have oysters!!! :)
    ragman929
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/10 22:11:11 (permalink)
    Best oysters I've had are at Boss Oyster in Apalachicola. Big, fresh, juicy, just a bit salty. Suck 'em down.

Acme in Nawlins is also very good, but the Boss is the best!
    dholk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/10 22:41:26 (permalink)
    Bon Secour, AL, no question.

Appalachicola, FL is a great second choice.

Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/10 23:15:47 (permalink)
    Al forgot to mention that the oysters we had in Savannah were so fresh that they weren't yet available when the restaurant opened that evening. We had to wait about 45 minutes for them to come through the back door, be shucked, dressed, broiled and served...much longer than it took us to devour them.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/11 11:45:15 (permalink)
    We had the pleasure of some fantastic oysters, purchased at our local fish market, from Stella Bay (Washington State, I guess) last Friday. They were small, in white very scalloped shells, and they were delicious - a new oyster to us... Meant to mention that they do leave a slight coppery aftertaste- nothing that a cold Martini wont cure!

Cheers, John
    rjb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/11 12:35:48 (permalink)
    Sounds like Kumamotos
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1965
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/11 13:11:58 (permalink)
    It said in the local paper yesterday that they may declare the eastern oyster endangered. A lot of the ones we get now are farmed anyway. How is one to tell a farmed oyster from a poached oyster???
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/11 18:09:12 (permalink)
    The Chingoteague is one of the greatest eastern oysters. As far as I know they are all "farmed". That is, they are raked up in the Chesapeake Bay area and transported to Chincoteague where they are put back in the water for a period to get that great salty Chincoteague taste. I believe something similar is true of the famous Wellfleets - areas are "seeded" with tiny oysters and are allowed to grow under protection from poachers until they are of marketable size. I hope neither of these oysters is endangered to the point where we wont be able to get them. I'm sure the red tide hasn't helped, but it is my understanding that. while it makes the oyster temporarily inedible, is is not fatal to the oyster.

Cheers, John
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/11 19:45:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tmiles

It said in the local paper yesterday that they may declare the eastern oyster endangered. A lot of the ones we get now are farmed anyway. How is one to tell a farmed oyster from a poached oyster???
    The poached ones are hot.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/11 20:21:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:

The poached ones are hot.

Usually with an egg on top...
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18277
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/11 20:28:34 (permalink)
    quote:

Well, the edges of a poached oyster curl a little.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/11 22:28:00 (permalink)
    Best ones are the ones that I dive for in the Chesapeake, a little sweat equity makes them taste the best. Reason, you have to be up and out in the dark, and in the water early and off the bay by noon.

Tried this place on a dive trip to Panama City, FL, Hunt's Oyster Bar, a great place for Appalachicolas, 3.95 a doz. Try their three cheese Jalapeno oysters for a kick!
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1685
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/11 22:55:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Beer&Snausages Posted - 07/11/2005 : 22:28:00
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Best ones are the ones that I dive for in the Chesapeake, a little sweat equity makes them taste the best. Reason, you have to be up and out in the dark, and in the water early and off the bay by noon.

Does that mean your a poacher and your edges curl up as you dive for stolen fruit?
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/12 08:57:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
    Beer&Snausages Posted - 07/11/2005 : 22:28:00
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does that mean your a poacher and your edges curl up as you dive for stolen fruit?

Nope our dive shop sponsors a couple of oyster dives each fall, the rules on the bay are that if you dive for them you have to be off the bay by noon. Since I live in Northern Baltimore County, in order to get to Kent Island by the start of the dive have to be up at 0400AM.
    So nothing illegal here.
    backfrmIraq
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/13 18:29:24 (permalink)
    Down here on the upper Gulf Coast it is hard to beat a sack of baby selects from Appalachiacola, if you can get them....larger size oysters from Mobile Bay's Cedar Point are also very good, salinity varies as to the amount or rain upstate, but they are phat and plump, great for making Oysters Bienville, which is a Gulf Coast variant of Rockefeller.....I steam mine over a pecan wood fire...
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/13 19:28:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpczyz

oysters................................ love em
    My favorite thing is to close my eyes, suck in an ice cold raw oyster roll it around in my mouth, chew it good before swallowing and then tell you where that oyster came from ... what ocean, what coast, what state, what bay or water way it came from. I can usually be within 80% correct. If I open my eyes and see the oyster I can be almost 100% correct. What a wine snob is to wine I'm to oysters, cigars and coffee. Now what is my favorite? .. living on the West coast for the last 40 years I hate very much to admit that cold north west coast oysters are my least favorite. They are too metallic tasting and leave an after taste as if you had a copper penny in your mouth.
    I prefer the East coast oyster first from Wellfleet/Cape Cod and second same Blue Point oyster from Long Island, NY................ No. # 3 on my list is the oysters from the Louisiana coast as served at Acme Oysters Bar/NO or Wintzell's Oyster House/Mobile.
    I love to eat oysters any time of the day or night but I best love them for breakfast served like this. 6 medium sized ice cold oysters 4 on ice and 2 chopped up and added to 3 eggs for scrambling, white toast and butter and black strong Ethiopian/Java coffee.
    ........................... and a Cuban Partagas cigar ....... puff puff heaven can wait cuz I'm in heaven now!

i'm totally down with this breakfast of champions, except that if i were to indulge to this extent, i'd probably want a wee dram of johnny black in my java. and i totally agree with your first two choices, even if it's treasonous for a long island boy to put wellfleets first.

from my admittedly limited experience, i'm not so enthusiastic about warm-water oysters. they seem to lack the brisk, briny savor of north atlantic bivalves.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: Oysters--The Best 2005/07/13 20:16:00 (permalink)
    This thread makes me want to drive to the east coast for a sack full of raw oysters.

I also enjoyed the oysters on the west coast of Washington, as they were the largest I have ever had. This thread indicated they might have had a copper taste but I never experienced it. They were huge and very good..

It is much easier for me to get to the right coast than the left coast.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1