P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation?

Author
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 390
2012/09/08 06:54:54 (permalink)

P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation?

Not sure how many of you know about CS-PTO or constant speed power take off.  Here's a paper on it, not related to smaller vehicles, but presents the concept quite well.
http://www.lib.ucdavis.ed...04/papers/04CVT-28.pdf
Anyway I googled P30 CS-PTO and found some hits on manuals.
As I'm not familiar with the P30 I just thought I'd throw out the idea of using its capability for generation of power on a P30.   I know Winco makes generators for CS-PTO, but not sure about for a smaller engine size like a P30.  Anyway it might be something for you guys with P30 to check out.

10 Replies Related Threads

marco226
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation? 2012/09/11 17:37:45 (permalink)
    i have a 2003 internatiional step van. cam with a pto system.
    i think it ran some kind of hydrolics.
    when i bought it they removed the tank.
    they said the pto was still connected to the drive trian.
    so what do you think i acually have?
    it was connected to a large box inside the truck i think it had some kind of hose in the box.
    marco226
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation? 2012/09/11 17:38:55 (permalink)
    RodBangkok

Not sure how many of you know about CS-PTO or constant speed power take off.  Here's a paper on it, not related to smaller vehicles, but presents the concept quite well.
    http://www.lib.ucdavis.ed...04/papers/04CVT-28.pdf
    Anyway I googled P30 CS-PTO and found some hits on manuals.
    As I'm not familiar with the P30 I just thought I'd throw out the idea of using its capability for generation of power on a P30.   I know Winco makes generators for CS-PTO, but not sure about for a smaller engine size like a P30.  Anyway it might be something for you guys with P30 to check out.

i have a 2003 internatiional step van. cam with a pto system.
    i think it ran some kind of hydrolics.
    when i bought it they removed the tank.
    they said the pto was still connected to the drive trian.
    so what do you think i acually have?
    it was connected to a large box inside the truck i think it had some kind of hose in the box.
    Uncle Groucho
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation? 2012/09/11 18:09:00 (permalink)
    Possibly a hydraulic liftgate.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 390
    Re:P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation? 2012/09/11 18:41:48 (permalink)
    If there were hoses and such, it was for a hydraulic pump, and yes most likely for a liftgate on a smaller truck frame.  I know that generators are made for these, as they are used on some emergency type vehicles.  The P30 is a popular type, so there may be generators available to fit in and around the PTO.  I know Winco makes mounted gens, but you'd have to check with them for a model suited for the P30 if it even exists.  You'd have to do some checking with suppliers for any further info.  We did some design work for a lighting truck that used a CS-PTO as a backup for the main generator which was on its own rig.  It was easy on that one, as the PTO shaft was sticking right up between the frame beams, and originally intended for a cement mixer hydraulic pump.
    post edited by RodBangkok - 2012/09/11 18:44:31
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation? 2012/09/17 16:52:04 (permalink)
    at 4.00 plus per gallon for desiel it wouldnt be a viable solution to run a 6.5l engine for a generator. too much noise and burning that much desiel smells quite a bit to be selling food close by. now if you could run generators running down the road and charge batteries that run 12v lights and the like that may be possible? just storing batteries and where would the generator mount? i dont have much room left thats not being used under the truck.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation? 2012/09/17 21:44:17 (permalink)
    That's exactly right. Not even plausible.

Folks there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. There are just three systems that are worth considering at this point in time. Shore power hook up, a generator, or 12 volt/battery system combination  of one of the former mentioned.

Wind won't work, power take off is outrageously expensive, and solar is not advanced enough at this time. If you have your heart and mind set in those directions your going to be spinning your wheels and wasting your treasure.

Think of it this way: If you or I could conceive/invent a way to power a food truck working 8 to 12 hours a day any other way we would be rich enough to hire one of Americas best chefs to run it for us and sit back and count the money. 

What Maurice (Reese77) is doing is awesome and for this list cutting edge. I sincerely hope he is 100% successful and if so his thread should/will be the guiding light for many other food trucks over the next several years.

Sometimes a new person puts way to much effort into trying to reinvent the wheel in the process of the build. But keep in mind it's RF this part of it is about the food. If when your done and you have the latest high tech truck, and 40 different gizmos which can be used for online/cell phone/tablet/micro wave ordering/credit card, and the food is not good your done!

The first question you should ask yourself is can you cook/fry/char broil/grill/smoke/present good food?

Ok I'm done LMAO.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation? 2012/09/17 23:00:28 (permalink)
    The choir says amen!

Just make sure also if you can cook & work electrical magic...your landscape is also staying as friendly as possible. This "new" food truck revolution is the best thing since sliced bread...but it can also cut you to shreds if not carefully keeping in touch with what's going on around the neighborhood.

I know two people featured on Eat St. that are gone now. That's the part you don't see coming when all you see is happy faces lined up....and the fun delicious food being created with a smile. The rug got yanked from under many in Hoboken...and I know a few food trucks in NYC that were built & costly needs of a license put them in at 70K and asking (praying) for 50K at this point. People having a can't miss menu that is being revised...because they missed. No follow-up updates on those programs...usually. Just on to the next good story.

Every one of them said noooo not me....some whistlin' past the graveyard. But there's no way not to keep that in mind...considering the high failure rate of restaurants. Food trucks are not immune to that. It's just early enough in the process and being framed for television & print that everyone wants it and many will not survive it.

You have to be very careful...very good...and very lucky. It's a business of urgency on every level...across the board.

I know many take pride in their builds...and they should. I know many people read them and think wow pure gold. I can do that....and some can get a little OTH....underfunded & overwhelmed.

This all started with a guy named Dom.
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/09/18 00:15:23
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation? 2012/09/18 10:03:33 (permalink)
    who's dom?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation? 2012/09/18 10:54:51 (permalink)
    Dom is a very nice guy who had stars in his eyes. He was the first with building threads for a trailer that worked events. We followed along the daily journey and talked about a million things from moon pies to lemonade to whatever technical stuff you all discuss.

He lasted about a two weeks.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:P30 and CS-PTO...a possibility for power generation? 2012/09/18 11:07:56 (permalink)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1