The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !!

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 98
CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Fri, 11/6/09 11:41 AM (permalink)
Koch's is still good and a must-go when in University City area of Philadelphia.

analei

• Total Posts: 533
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Fri, 11/6/09 3:17 PM (permalink)
    YUMMY looking pastrami pics. Here in my city, there is one Jewish deli, and they charge almost the same, but the portion is less than half.

My friend and I went out a few weeks ago, and were a bit baffled. He said it has changed, and the prices used to be better, and larger portions.

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
      Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Fri, 11/6/09 3:40 PM (permalink)
      Ellen & cheesewit,

Although most of the older delis in Philly are "slicer joints" I will request that they slice their pastrami or corned beef "a little thicker." This is no problem.

I frequently visit Pumpernick's in Montgomeryville. They use Vienna Beef pastrami and steam it before serving. This deli is very popular and has recently undergone an expansion. The owner, Paul Klein, is an experienced deli operator. If only they would get full sour pickles in their pickle bar.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
        Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Fri, 11/6/09 3:45 PM (permalink)
        Isn't (or wasn't) there another deli right near Hymie's?

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
          Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Fri, 11/6/09 3:52 PM (permalink)
          Chris OC

Yes, Hymie's and Murray's are both on Montgomery Ave in Bala:

http://www.hymies.com/catering.html

Murray's is at 285 and Hymie's is at 342.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
            Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Fri, 11/6/09 10:20 PM (permalink)
            analei

YUMMY looking pastrami pics. Here in my city, there is one Jewish deli, and they charge almost the same, but the portion is less than half.

How far are you from TORONTO, analei ?  DAVID SAX is from Toronto, and there still seems to be some real good SMOKED MEAT
            joints around !  (but  not as many as when he was growing up.... )  (he noticed that, so that's why he is trying to Save the Deli's!)

Have you ever tried SMOKED MEAT , analei?  I DO  want to get to MONTREAL (& perhaps Toronto) to try the famous smoked meat joints, like Schwartz's ..

saps

• Total Posts: 1553
              Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Sat, 11/7/09 5:55 AM (permalink)
              Sticker on the book reads:

David Sax is the M.F.K Fisher of pickled meats!  - A.J. Jacobs

When you see those three names together, you know you're getting the goods???!!

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 901
                Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Sat, 11/7/09 8:18 AM (permalink)
                acer2x

Chris OC

Yes, Hymie's and Murray's are both on Montgomery Ave in Bala: 

I am familiar with Murry's in Jenkintown

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Sat, 11/7/09 9:32 AM (permalink)
                  Murray's in Jenkintown has been closed for some time now.

ellen4641

Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Sat, 11/7/09 10:11 AM (permalink)
                    acer2x

I frequently visit Pumpernick's in Montgomeryville. They use Vienna Beef pastrami and steam it before serving.

If I must eat pastrami at a "slicer joint", that VIENNA beef brand is my favorite brand I've come across, thus far... I like the way it steams ..

MR. BILL'S Coney Island in south Jersey uses Vienna.... of course, that is the deli you and I had our MEAT-up at... (for others not in the know, it's right off the AC Expressway almost halfway between AC and Philly)

Also, RUSS COWAN used to use VIENNA brand for his pastrami when he owned the KIBBUTZ deli in Ocean City, NJ... (out of business now at that location)
                    He used Sy Ginsburg from Chicago for his Corned Beef ...

TnTinCT

Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Sun, 11/8/09 6:58 PM (permalink)
                      I was so desperate for pastrami after reading this that I went out and got some Boar's Head NY style - not nearly as authentic, but it will do in a pinch. Picking up some nice fresh rye tomorrow, and dinner is already planned!

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                        Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Sun, 11/8/09 7:57 PM (permalink)
                        Hi Ellen, Nice to see a woman talk about Pastrami like a guy talks about a Football game. I wish the delis would make a sandwich a person could eat. Every bite should have melt in your mouth Pastrami, melted swiss cheese, Jewish rye, kraut, and dressing. I would rather see 8oz on the sand and send me home with the other pound with a loaf of Jewish rye. I would also take Pastrami over Corned beef on a Reuben. I serve these in our cafe with Beavers hot and spicy mustard it goes real nice with the pastrami........Bill

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Sun, 11/8/09 8:45 PM (permalink)
                          your posts are always great (and the pics too) and your an old school met's fan...wow

ellen4641

Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Sun, 11/8/09 11:15 PM (permalink)
                            TnTinCT

I was so desperate for pastrami after reading this that I went out and got some Boar's Head NY style - not nearly as authentic, but it will do in a pinch.

I hear you, as CT is a tough state for homemade , house-cured pastrami...
                            Yes, it's all relative, as one member of David's Philly audience said a "Ben and Bill's" deli opened up inside the Price Chopper supermarket in Saratoga Springs , NY and the local residents went wild...!

Apparently, there was no Jewish style deli around, so this place is the closest example!
                            The pastrami and corned beef is not storemade, but the  "best we could find anywhere"..
                            The cheesecake is from the Carnegie Deli...
                            the turkey and roast beef IS storemade, and so is the RYE BREAD...(and probably some of the other desserts)  www.pricechopper.com for menu  ... BEN & BILL'S

Hey, it ain't the CARNEGIE or LANGER'S, but it's way better than anything they had before...!
                            (which was not MUCH)
                             I see deli's so proud that they carry Hebrew National Brand pastrami, espescially if they are in a pastrami-tough area.... often that might be the only Hebrew National pastrami available for MILES and MILES so for THEM , it's a big deal...

Hope you enjoyed that sandwich, TnTinCT!
                            (and I hope we can partake again in that killer garlic bread at Joe's Pizza in Northampton, MA !)

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                              Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 9:05 AM (permalink)
                              Great post Ellen!  If you're in the city and jonesing for a pastrami sandwich, I'd love to meet up with you.  I have yet to try Carnegie Deli and Second Avenue Deli (since the move anyway).  I did finally have a pastrami at Katz's and it was awesome!  Oh, how I wish I could have stayed for Joe's in Northampton!!

ellen4641

Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 12:14 PM (permalink)
                                BillyB

Hi Ellen, Nice to see a woman talk about Pastrami like a guy talks about a Football game.

Hi BillyB ! So NOW we've got a BILLYB, to go along with our BILLYBOY (see post above this one from BillyBOY, another great Billy.
                                Had the pleasure of "MEAT-ing" up with Billyboy in NYC for brisket and ribs from the Hill Country BBQ...
                                and hopefully I can patronize YOUR cafe, BILLYB, wherever on EARTH it is located, lol !

Yes, BILLYB, I talk pastrami like a MAN ! I don't go for girly type food like wraps, etc...
                                I like my MEAT !   I've done threads on here where I show the HUGE sizzling PORTERHOUSE I've gotten from Wolfgang's in NYC
                                (a Peter Luger "offshoot")

I love my burgers, beef ribs, pastrami, and steaks !!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                                  Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                  ellen4641

BillyB

Hi Ellen, Nice to see a woman talk about Pastrami like a guy talks about a Football game.

Hi BillyB ! So NOW we've got a BILLYB, to go along with our BILLYBOY (see post above this one from BillyBOY, another great Billy.
                                  Had the pleasure of "MEAT-ing" up with Billyboy in NYC for brisket and ribs from the Hill Country BBQ...
                                  and hopefully I can patronize YOUR cafe, BILLYB, wherever on EARTH it is located, lol !

Yes, BILLYB, I talk pastrami like a MAN ! I don't go for girly type food like wraps, etc...
                                  I like my MEAT !   I've done threads on here where I show the HUGE sizzling PORTERHOUSE I've gotten from Wolfgang's in NYC

Ellen certainly knows how to eat.  Are you sure you don't have any Italian in you?

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                    joerogo

ellen4641

BillyB

Ellen certainly knows how to eat.  Are you sure you don't have any Italian in you?[8D]

You know how they say "someone looks Jewish" But the response is, what does someone who looks Jewish look like? Well, Ellen is the poster child for someone who looks Jewish.  Besides us Jews love to eat too

mar52

• Total Posts: 7607
                                      Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 5:13 PM (permalink)
                                      So do I "look" Jewish?

I think I can pass.

Phil from Philly

• Total Posts: 12
                                        Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 6:08 PM (permalink)
                                        acer2x

Ellen & cheesewit,

Although most of the older delis in Philly are "slicer joints" I will request that they slice their pastrami or corned beef "a little thicker." This is no problem.

I frequently visit Pumpernick's in Montgomeryville. They use Vienna Beef pastrami and steam it before serving. This deli is very popular and has recently undergone an expansion. The owner, Paul Klein, is an experienced deli operator. If only they would get full sour pickles in their pickle bar.

Thanks for the tip!  I drive past that place all the time, but assumed it was yet another chain restaurant because almost all the other places in the shopping centers along 309 are.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                          Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 8:55 PM (permalink)
                                          Oh, Dale and that silver tongue of his again, sayin' all the things tha ladieez like to hear.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 9:10 PM (permalink)
                                            Nancypalooza

Oh, Dale and that silver tongue of his again, sayin' all the things tha ladieez like to hear.

Come on now.....Nancy,

What's wrong with looking Jewish...

It's not meant to be an insult or a compliment- just a statement

ellen4641

• Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                              Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 10:05 PM (permalink)
                                              wanderingjew

Nancypalooza

Come on now.....Nancy,
                                              What's wrong with looking Jewish...
                                              It's not meant to be an insult or a compliment- just a statement

Hey, Wandering Jew, all is cool.........       &  believe it or NOT, some people even mistake me for being ITALIAN !!!
                                              And when I'm in Los Angeles, many people think I'm a Senorita ! (and they start talking Mexican to me..)
                                              And when I get a nice suntan, some folks think I'm Egyptian..

Hey, Wandering Jew, I guess most of us don't want to be thought of us looking Jewish, cause it tends to be "big NOSE", right?!
                                              (and mine is not getting any smaller!)........

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                                Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 11:21 PM (permalink)
                                                Foodosaurus

wheregreggeats.com

In my opinion, David isn't the cute one in the picture.

I was just thinking the same thing, Gregg.

Yeah, he's not as cute as our, Ellen.

Twinwillow

Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 11:25 PM (permalink)
                                                  wanderingjew

joerogo

ellen4641

BillyB

Ellen certainly knows how to eat.  Are you sure you don't have any Italian in you?[8D]

You know how they say "someone looks Jewish" But the response is, what does someone who looks Jewish look like? Well, Ellen is the poster child for someone who looks Jewish.  Besides us Jews love to eat too

Yup! Ellen sure has a shana punem. That's a, "cute face" to our non Yiddish speaking Roadfoodies.

Twinwillow

Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 11:30 PM (permalink)
                                                    billyboy

Great post Ellen!  If you're in the city and jonesing for a pastrami sandwich, I'd love to meet up with you.  I have yet to try Carnegie Deli and Second Avenue Deli (since the move anyway).  I did finally have a pastrami at Katz's and it was awesome!  Oh, how I wish I could have stayed for Joe's in Northampton!!

Billy, just know, It's all down hill after Katz's

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                                                      • Location: New York City, NY
                                                      Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Mon, 11/9/09 11:32 PM (permalink)
                                                      Maybe, but I think it'll be one heckuva ride!

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4467
                                                        • Location: Pittston, PA
                                                        Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Tue, 11/10/09 8:54 AM (permalink)
                                                        wanderingjew

joerogo

ellen4641

BillyB

My initial smart alec response to this was "Ellen's Jewish?" or WJ, Great pick-up line" or "WJ is Jewish?".  But because I'm scared as hell of WJ, I won't say any of those things.

And Ellen, Just as cute as ever.  You just keep on being the best Ellen you can be.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Tue, 11/10/09 9:27 AM (permalink)
                                                          joerogo

wanderingjew

joerogo

ellen4641

BillyB

My initial smart alec response to this was "Ellen's Jewish?" or WJ, Great pick-up line" or "WJ is Jewish?".  But because I'm scared as hell of WJ, I won't say any of those things.

And Ellen, Just as cute as ever.  You just keep on being the best Ellen you can be. 

I betcha I fear Michael Hoffman more than you fear me  

Sometimes not looking "Jewish" has it's advantages like the time I encountered my "interesting" dining companions at Louis Basque Corner in Reno this past August. Remember I don't usually introduce myself as "wanderingjew" so unless someone knows my last name, many take me for being Irish.

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                                                            Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! Tue, 11/10/09 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                                             Walking into a New York Deli to me is like walking through the gates of Disneyland. The cast of charcters are behind the counter. I can't wait for the show to begin. I haven't been back East for many years and I miss the heart and soul of these places. I have been a Chef for 30 years and have always tried to give my customer the best I could offer. Looking back on the Delis in New York I don't think I even came close. The Deli's talked about in this post are the best of the best. After seeing Ellen's pictures and Billyboys trip report on the $15 Roast Beef sand I now know a Roadfood trip is necessary. These places are a dyeing breed and I for one have missed them over the years. I just need to figure out where to start the trip and end it. It's great to see the passion and dedication you all show in Deli food.
                                                              Ellen, isn't Chicken liver pate a must in these places ?????   Earth is Washington and Oregon, Just a part of earth no Deli's in my area. ..........Bill

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 98

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com