PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4654
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/10 10:05:32 (permalink)
BillyB

Walking into a New York Deli to me is like walking through the gates of Disneyland. The cast of charcters are behind the counter. I can't wait for the show to begin. I haven't been back East for many years and I miss the heart and soul of these places. I have been a Chef for 30 years and have always tried to give my customer the best I could offer. Looking back on the Delis in New York I don't think I even came close. The Deli's talked about in this post are the best of the best. After seeing Ellen's pictures and Billyboys trip report on the $15 Roast Beef sand I now know a Roadfood trip is necessary. These places are a dyeing breed and I for one have missed them over the years. I just need to figure out where to start the trip and end it. It's great to see the passion and dedication you all show in Deli food.
  Ellen, isn't Chicken liver pate a must in these places ?????   Earth is Washington and Oregon, Just a part of earth no Deli's in my area. ..........Bill

kenny and zukes in Portland is supposed to be pretty god.

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6430
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/10 10:21:56 (permalink)
wanderingjew

joerogo

wanderingjew

joerogo

ellen4641

BillyB

Hi Ellen, Nice to see a woman talk about Pastrami like a guy talks about a Football game.

Hi BillyB ! So NOW we've got a BILLYB, to go along with our BILLYBOY (see post above this one from BillyBOY, another great Billy.
Had the pleasure of "MEAT-ing" up with Billyboy in NYC for brisket and ribs from the Hill Country BBQ...
and hopefully I can patronize YOUR cafe, BILLYB, wherever on EARTH it is located, lol !

Yes, BILLYB, I talk pastrami like a MAN ! I don't go for girly type food like wraps, etc...
I like my MEAT !   I've done threads on here where I show the HUGE sizzling PORTERHOUSE I've gotten from Wolfgang's in NYC
(a Peter Luger "offshoot")

I love my burgers, beef ribs, pastrami, and steaks !! 

Ellen certainly knows how to eat.  Are you sure you don't have any Italian in you?[8D]

You know how they say "someone looks Jewish" But the response is, what does someone who looks Jewish look like? Well, Ellen is the poster child for someone who looks Jewish.  Besides us Jews love to eat too

My initial smart alec response to this was "Ellen's Jewish?" or WJ, Great pick-up line" or "WJ is Jewish?".  But because I'm scared as hell of WJ, I won't say any of those things.

And Ellen, Just as cute as ever.  You just keep on being the best Ellen you can be. 

I betcha I fear Michael Hoffman more than you fear me  

Sometimes not looking "Jewish" has it's advantages like the time I encountered my "interesting" dining companions at Louis Basque Corner in Reno this past August. Remember I don't usually introduce myself as "wanderingjew" so unless someone knows my last name, many take me for being Irish.

We don't know that for sure because no picture of you looks like you so we are told.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/10 10:25:56 (permalink)
Davydd

wanderingjew

joerogo

wanderingjew

joerogo

ellen4641

BillyB

Hi Ellen, Nice to see a woman talk about Pastrami like a guy talks about a Football game.

Hi BillyB ! So NOW we've got a BILLYB, to go along with our BILLYBOY (see post above this one from BillyBOY, another great Billy.
Had the pleasure of "MEAT-ing" up with Billyboy in NYC for brisket and ribs from the Hill Country BBQ...
and hopefully I can patronize YOUR cafe, BILLYB, wherever on EARTH it is located, lol !

Yes, BILLYB, I talk pastrami like a MAN ! I don't go for girly type food like wraps, etc...
I like my MEAT !   I've done threads on here where I show the HUGE sizzling PORTERHOUSE I've gotten from Wolfgang's in NYC
(a Peter Luger "offshoot")

I love my burgers, beef ribs, pastrami, and steaks !! 

Ellen certainly knows how to eat.  Are you sure you don't have any Italian in you?[8D]

You know how they say "someone looks Jewish" But the response is, what does someone who looks Jewish look like? Well, Ellen is the poster child for someone who looks Jewish.  Besides us Jews love to eat too

My initial smart alec response to this was "Ellen's Jewish?" or WJ, Great pick-up line" or "WJ is Jewish?".  But because I'm scared as hell of WJ, I won't say any of those things.

And Ellen, Just as cute as ever.  You just keep on being the best Ellen you can be. 

I betcha I fear Michael Hoffman more than you fear me  

Sometimes not looking "Jewish" has it's advantages like the time I encountered my "interesting" dining companions at Louis Basque Corner in Reno this past August. Remember I don't usually introduce myself as "wanderingjew" so unless someone knows my last name, many take me for being Irish.

We don't know that for sure because no picture of you looks like you so we are told.

No,

That only applies to the photos that Travelin Man takes on his camera .

BillyB
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/10 11:07:43 (permalink)
bill voss

BillyB

Walking into a New York Deli to me is like walking through the gates of Disneyland. The cast of characters are behind the counter. I can't wait for the show to begin. I haven't been back East for many years and I miss the heart and soul of these places. I have been a Chef for 30 years and have always tried to give my customer the best I could offer. Looking back on the Delis in New York I don't think I even came close. The Deli's talked about in this post are the best of the best. After seeing Ellen's pictures and Billyboys trip report on the $15 Roast Beef sand I now know a Roadfood trip is necessary. These places are a dyeing breed and I for one have missed them over the years. I just need to figure out where to start the trip and end it. It's great to see the passion and dedication you all show in Deli food.
Ellen, isn't Chicken liver pate a must in these places ?????   Earth is Washington and Oregon, Just a part of earth no Deli's in my area. ..........Bill

kenny and zukes in Portland is supposed to be pretty god.

Hi Bill, I'm about 200 miles from Portland and Seattle. I get out voted in Seattle because seafood wins over. Kenny&Zukes looks good but haven't been there. I looked at a few of the pictures on their wed site and the Jewish Rye looks a bit burnt.. I wonder if Ellen could tell me how a person  walks up to the counter in a  Jewish deli and tells them the bread is burnt. I think the look would be something I would never forget. ........BillyB
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/10 12:23:52 (permalink)
I'm 300 miles from them.
BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/10 13:36:16 (permalink)
bill voss

I'm 300 miles from them.

Nice area Bill, I'm in Southeastern Washington and The Blue mountains of Oregon. I don't think you have many good Deli's in your area either...................Take care.....BillyB
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/10 14:51:52 (permalink)
RE : The returning of the BURNT RYE BREAD :
Hey, BILLY B ...
that all depends who you have to face, right?!?
In my case, I just told the young gal waitress, so it was a pretty painless situation..

But if I had to deal with some of those lifers that work at the Carnegie, they might've made ME feel like the guilty one, lol....

BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/10 15:13:55 (permalink)
Ellen, they would have handed you a knife and said scrape it off a little there's nothing wrong with it. I ordered two pounds of Pastrami from Carnegie today and it should be here overnight. I am planning a New York Welcome home night for my wife and I. We have been displaced in a Hotel for 75 days because of a fire at our house. I figure a Carnegie Pastrami sand with mustard on Jewish Rye w/garlic pickle a cold beer and a slice of Carnegie New York cheese cake. .....Take care.........Bill
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/10 17:02:01 (permalink)
that sounds like a nice celebration!
Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 923
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/10 21:20:21 (permalink)
  Ellen, this is starting to remind me of the Geiko Gekko commercial... " What?! you're British? I thought you were Australian! "   Myself, I always thought that you were a purebreaded CATSKILLASAURAUS. IE- all the meat that's fit to eat!!!  Peace darlin' and LONG LIVE THE DELI!  
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/11 10:12:09 (permalink)
AHI MPLS 

I always thought that you were a purebreaded CATSKILLASAURAUS. IE- all the meat that's fit to eat!!!  Peace darlin' and LONG LIVE THE DELI!  

Hi DAWN in Minneapolis!!  "CATKSILLASAURAUS", that's cute! 

And special shout outs  to JOE ROGO, TWINWILLOW, and MIAMI DON  for thinking I have a cute face !

This has been a fun thread; it lasted longer than I could've ever hoped...
still, a twinge of sadness when the thread "dies off"  , and interest weans !
(that just means I've gotta hit another pastrami joint to report on, lol ....)

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/11 10:32:46 (permalink)
wanes. or waxes. but that's WJ's department.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/11 23:26:41 (permalink)
bill voss

wanes.

Let me rephrase my sentence.......here goes! :  "I will feel a twinge of sadness when interest WANES on this pastrami thread".
Now, THAT'S better, right?  I realize that WEAN should mostly be used to say "I am trying to WEAN Billy off of this breastfeeding..
he's 5 years old, already!"

saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1567
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/12 00:16:28 (permalink)
Are you saying that Wandering Jew waxes?
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4567
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/12 07:45:33 (permalink)
ellen4641

bill voss

wanes.

"I am trying to WEAN Billy off of this breastfeeding.. 

You never know what that Bill Voss is going to do next

JAKE91
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 50
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/12 15:34:05 (permalink)
Those 2 look like brudder and sista.

...and I still say pastrami and corned beef taste like baloney... save your sheckels and go to the supermarket for a pound of delicious bologna,individually wrapped american cheese, a jar of mayo and a giant loaf of white bread....now that's eatin'!!!!!!!!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7967
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/12 15:44:22 (permalink)
ellen4641

bill voss

wanes.

Let me rephrase my sentence.......here goes! :  "I will feel a twinge of sadness when interest WANES on this pastrami thread".
Now, THAT'S better, right?  I realize that WEAN should mostly be used to say "I am trying to WEAN Billy off of this breastfeeding..
he's 5 years old, already!"

Bill Voss still Breast Feeds?
or are you referring to Billyboy???

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/12 16:50:27 (permalink)
or maybe I was referring to our NEW Billy, "BillyB"...
lol ....

better insert  the name "corey" in there instead...
signman
  • Total Posts : 1744
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/13 01:30:38 (permalink)
acer2x

I think the "Corned Beef Special" was invented in Philly. That's cold thin sliced corned beef,cole slaw and Russian dressing on rye. I rarely see that in delis elsewhere.

Here in Baltimore it's known as a "Cloak & Dagger",  or just call for a "103".  If it's an old timer serving you, he'll know just what you mean.

BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/13 21:03:24 (permalink)
ellen4641

or maybe I was referring to our NEW Billy, "BillyB"...
lol ....

better insert  the name "corey" in there instead...

Ellen, I gave up the breast feeding today for the Carnegie Pastrami. The package came in yesterday and it was like Christmas. I opened the package at 1pm and took out the two pound hunk of goodness. It was packed in juices and looked tender and juicy. I buttered the Dill Rye bread to grill and then sliced the Pastrami thin and cooked it slow in the pan. When it was heated I melted swiss cheese and topped with warm kraut and  pilled on top the Rye Bread. I served it with a homemade Potato salad and the Carnegie mustard on the side so we could add as needed. It was Great, everything I expected. The Carnegie Cheese cake was a great touch for dessert. I'm not saying I won't go back to breast feeding, but I do have a pound of Pastrami left and don't want to loose the pastrami taste in my mouth...................BillyB
post edited by BillyB - 2009/11/14 11:53:40
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/14 10:24:27 (permalink)
BillyB

Ellen, I gave up the breast today for the Carnegie Pastrami. The package came in yesterday and it was like christmas. I opened the package at 1pm and took out the two pound hunk of goodness.

Christmas came early or you !!  In the form of a 2 lb hunk of meat ...
Hey, I noticed the price for the 2 lbs of pastrami on the www.carnegiedeli.com website..
It seems like "such a deal" at $19.95.
However,  it was tough to find the SHIPPING COSTS....I was'nt able to do the "calculating" from this computer at work...

So, let me ask you, just HOW MUCH WAS SHIPPING??  It had to be a heavy package!
along with the jar of mustard that is included...

So glad you enjoyed your meal!

BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/14 11:50:11 (permalink)
Hi Ellen, The shipping was about $47, I didn't think $19.95 was bad for the Pastrami. The cheese cake was about $17. I just though it would be nice to sit in Washington State eating a New York Deli Sandwich. The little girl next door to me is waiting for a lung transplant so she will also enjoy the cheese cake. I figured the Pastrami was a small price to pay for something that I love. House fire 75K, Tractor stolen 12K, Carnegie Deli Pastrami Sandwich "PRICELESS"...........Take Care................BillyB
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/14 12:15:50 (permalink)
BillyB

Hi Ellen, The shipping was about $47, I didn't think $19.95 was bad for the Pastrami.

Wow, $47 for shipping !!  I suspected a high price, cause one had to click for further details regarding shipping costs.
HOWEVER, definitely worth it for YOU, being you are way out there in Washington State...
for me, personally, I'm only a 2 and a half bus ride away (Atlantic City to NYC), so I can enjoy my sandwich right at the Carnegie way easier than you can...

MORE questions : Does the pastrami come in that vacuum sealed bag?  The kind I hate trying to open?  I am probably doing it wrong, the few times I tried it...
And was it easy to cut the pastrami?

BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/14 13:22:42 (permalink)
ellen4641

BillyB

Hi Ellen, The shipping was about $47, I didn't think $19.95 was bad for the Pastrami.

Wow, $47 for shipping !!  I suspected a high price, cause one had to click for further details regarding shipping costs.
HOWEVER, definitely worth it for YOU, being you are way out there in Washington State...
for me, personally, I'm only a 2 and a half bus ride away (Atlantic City to NYC), so I can enjoy my sandwich right at the Carnegie way easier than you can...

MORE questions : Does the pastrami come in that vacuum sealed bag?  The kind I hate trying to open?  I am probably doing it wrong, the few times I tried it...
And was it easy to cut the pastrami?

Hi Ellen, The Pastrami was in a Real think plastic Vacuum bag. It was placed in a try, so I just opened it and dumped juice and all into the container. The pastrami was east to cut, but I also have a set of sharp chef knives. I would not recommend using a cerated knife. I slice it and then warm it on in a cast iron griddle. This is something I would do again. I am finishing 2 Black Angus cows and our Sow is ready to deliver some piglets in a week. I looking forward to getting some good cuts off the beef. I raised them on my pasture and finished them for 120 days and will hang them for 18 to 21 days. We will sell all the hamburger and larger cuts of meat to carve in our Cafe...............................And you think you like meat ?????  Take care Bill

BillyB
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/16 09:31:44 (permalink)
Hey Ellen, I have to plan for a Christmas party for 2000 people in a few weeks and I'm spending my time looking up Pastrami. You got my creative (Pastrami) juices moving and now I will be curing and smoking my Angus Briskets and boneless short ribs this winter. I think its a great idea for the short ribs and may even taste like the old time pastrami with a bit more fat flavor in the meat......Homemade Short Rib Pastrami - Ruhlman.com..........Take care.........Bill
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/16 16:53:06 (permalink)
BillyB

Hey Ellen, I have to plan for a Christmas party for 2000 people in a few weeks .  I will be curing and smoking my Angus Briskets and boneless short ribs Homemade Short Rib Pastrami - Ruhlman.com.......

Those are going to be 2000 LUCKY party people !!
I looked up that "homemade short rib pastrami" link, and that guy has quite a following!
He got SO many comments regarding the pic of the crusty looking pastrami...

Keep us posted on how you pull this off !! (pics, too , if you can, okay?!?)  Sounds like quite a feat; I'm very intrigued!
Glad I got your creative juices flowing....  I have that way about me !!

EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/16 18:29:11 (permalink)
Keep us posted on how you pull this off !! (pics, too , if you can, okay?!?) Sounds like quite a feat; I'm very intrigued! Glad I got your creative juices flowing.... I have that way about me !!

I'd love to see pictures of that!.....actually I'd love to be a guest at that
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/17 11:20:29 (permalink)
that'll be a heaping mountain of short ribs to make enough for 2000
folks.
catherine s
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 36
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/17 11:43:50 (permalink)
What an awesome experience!

Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to your next adventure.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4567
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/17 15:18:39 (permalink)
Way to go Ellen!!!

HOT THREAD OF THE WEEK
        Amy and Chris write: "ellen4641 travels to the City of Brotherly Love to meet author David Sax in the 'Pastrami in Philly!! And my "Meat-Up" with David Sax!! "Save the Deli," he says!!' thread ([link=http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/PASTRAMI-in-PHILLY-And-my-quotMEATupquot-with-DAVID-SAX-quotSave-the-Deliquot-he-says-m550941.aspx]http://www.roadfood.com/F...t-he-says-m550941.aspx[/link]) in the Trip Reports forum. Not only does Ellen chat with David Sax about his new book, but she also indulges in a sandwich at the Famous 4th Street Deli to boot. This dovetails with the Sterns' NPR discussion about the shrinking number of good delis around the country."

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1