PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !!

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/17 23:05:30 (permalink)
joerogo

Way to go Ellen!!!

HOT THREAD OF THE WEEK
        Amy and Chris write: "ellen4641 travels to the City of Brotherly Love to meet author David Sax in the 'Pastrami in Philly!! And my "Meat-Up" with David Sax!! "Save the Deli," he says!!' thread ([link=http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/PASTRAMI-in-PHILLY-And-my-quotMEATupquot-with-DAVID-SAX-quotSave-the-Deliquot-he-says-m550941.aspx]http://www.roadfood.com/F...t-he-says-m550941.aspx[/link]) in the Trip Reports forum. Not only does Ellen chat with David Sax about his new book, but she also indulges in a sandwich at the Famous 4th Street Deli to boot. This dovetails with the Sterns' NPR discussion about the shrinking number of good delis around the country."

Thanks JOE ROGO  for pointing this out, as I had'nt seen this yet.... Where did Amy and Chris write this?!
I've broken bread with Amy & Chris, so they know I'm a dedicated "freser" ...(look that one up in your "yiddish dictionary online", lol )  Thanks for the nice plug, Amy & Chris...

I love all the directions this pastrami thread has taken!  We've shared some pointers on Philly deli history, and current Philly deli info, we've had one of our Roadfooders try the Carnegie for the first time (mail ordered to Washington State),
and we've had the same Roadfooder comment that he's cooking SHORT RIB PASTRAMI for 2000 people !!!
Hey, can you make it 2001 people! (I'd like to crash THAT party!)

The only way for this report to be TOTALLY complete would be for DAVID SAX HIMSELF to jump on here and say a few words!!
I was sure hoping he would (it's never too late, DAVID!)  Are you out there, David ?!?
But for now, I'll have to settle for the  nice thank you he wrote me on my FACEBOOK page.... thanking me for the LARGEST BLACK & WHITE COOKIE he'd ever seen..( I brought him a cookie, a coconut macaroon, and an almond Rugallah from the FAMOUS 4th St. Deli...  to  "MEAT-up" with him at the Philly library)

Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/17 23:10:25 (permalink)
Ellen,

This is such a cool report.  I just learned that David Sax will be speaking in Buffalo this week (November 19), and I would be going to see him.  Too bad I am in the DC area this week.   What bad timing!  I hope enough pastrami lovers come out to hear him this week in Buffalo, which is not a hotbed of that food. 
post edited by Buffalo Tarheel - 2009/11/17 23:12:35
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/18 00:37:14 (permalink)
Buffalo Tarheel 

I just learned that David Sax will be speaking in Buffalo this week . I hope enough pastrami lovers come out to hear him this week in Buffalo, which is not a hotbed of that food. 

I hear you, Buffalo Tarheel !  As most people think of Buffalo WINGS, not Buffalo PASTRAMI !
But I'm confident that David Sax will get the Buffalo crowd reminiscing about the pastrami they once knew in Buffalo..
(and hopefully with the re-opening of RISA's Deli on the horizon, they will know real good pastrami once again)
(it's amazing how much I've learned about Buffalo pastrami in the last 5 minutes or so...!!!  All I did was google "pastrami in Buffalo", and I'm suddenly an expert now, lol )

Hey, too bad you won't be in BUFFALO to meat up with David ! Yes, bad timing!
I was on vacation in L.A. in October, and just missed seeing him at LANGER'S by 2 days ...(I had to fly back east!)
But I was grateful to take an "early out" from work and see him in Philly a week and a half later...

I have a couple of friends in TAMPA.... they are supposed to go see David Sax tomorrow night there, Wed. ..
they'll be giving me a full report !! www.savethedeli.com

ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/18 00:39:45 (permalink)
bill voss

that'll be a heaping mountain of short ribs to make enough for 2000
folks.

Can you make it for 2002 folks ???  (so BILL VOSS and I can sneak in there ?!?)
I wanna see that "short rib" mountain !

BillyB
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/18 13:25:03 (permalink)
Hey Ellen, The short ribs will have to wait. I'm going to carve 18# Apricot glazed Ham, Turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, veggie, caesar salad,rolls, relish tray and Cheese cake for dessert. We do 4 feeding and serve 500 people in 15 minutes, its is three buffet lines kicking butt with carvers at the end of each line. You have never seen food served so fast..........Bill
BillyB
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/20 14:17:03 (permalink)
on a few mornings for breakfast I sliced the Carnegie Deli Pastrami.

The Pastrami just got better and better with every sandwich.
This was about an inch think and it melted in my mouth. Nice to see I can have this travel 3000 miles and be so good. This is the best Pastrami I have had in many years, and I will order it again.

these three little pigs were born yesterday morning. The one with the black spots will be our feeder pig and the other two pink little girls will breed with our Boar. The one with the spots came out fighting, they must have had an argument in the womb.......Bill

post edited by BillyB - 2009/11/21 09:35:46
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/21 00:18:05 (permalink)
Hey, BILLYB,
Thanks for updating us with your Carnegie Deli pastrami pics...
wish they were bigger pics....I would love to see that pastrami better..

I do see your 3 little pigs real clearly , though...
OINK, OINK ...
TFitz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/12/14 17:55:06 (permalink)
signman

acer2x

I think the "Corned Beef Special" was invented in Philly. That's cold thin sliced corned beef,cole slaw and Russian dressing on rye. I rarely see that in delis elsewhere.

Here in Baltimore it's known as a "Cloak & Dagger",  or just call for a "103".  If it's an old timer serving you, he'll know just what you mean.

At the Parkway Deli in Silver Spring they call it the "Meal in Itself". When I tell them I want a "Cloak & Dagger" they look at me funny.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1