PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !!

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2009/11/04 21:47:52 (permalink)

PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !!

Big night in Philly ! I was finally going to "MEAT-up" with David Sax , who wrote the new book, "SAVE THE DELI" !
He was going to be at a book signing at the Library on Vine St.   Tuesday, Nov. 3rd.
David did a nice schmooze in the library auditorium, followed by a Q & A with the audience (about 150 people)
Free noshes were provided by Herschel's & also by Rachael's Nosherai ..

I follow David Sax the way some people follow U2 or the Rolling Stones!!

I even told him on his Facebook page that he reminds me of a Rock n Roller, with all his tour dates!
(he's on a whirlwind cross country and Canada tour, promoting his new book, and singlehandedly trying to Save the Deli...!!
www.savethedeli.com 
The book costs $24, and well worth it!  It just came out a few weeks ago.

David is in Montreal tonight for another book signing ; wish I could be there, too, as I've never had that SMOKED MEAT  that they are famous for..
("pastrami's bad-ass cousin", as David calls it)

Here's DAVID's name up in lights..

I warmed up with a PASTRAMI REUBEN from the FAMOUS 4th St. Deli before David's library event...
The deli's been around since 1923, and now owned by RUSS COWAN for over 4 years already, after being in the same family for decades..  

I had my heart set on a PASTRAMI REUBEN.... this is HOMEMADE pastrami, which is SO hard to find nowadays... (most places are just "slicer joints"; BAAH BEN coined this term)

Believe it or NOT, this is just a REGULAR size , definitely enough for TWO....  $14.70
(or you can order one to START, cause you can always order another if you are both still hungry.... (unlikely)
The TOPs of this reuben were slightly burned , so I ordered new tops...(meanwhile, I combined the bottoms)

This sandwich was so much FUN to eat, and to play with! This next pic is BLURRY (warning!) , but you can get the feel of just how much MEAT there was...! 

My final bill ....

I like what DAVID SAX had to say about Philly Deli's..that  they have their OWN proud uniqueness, and do NOT call themselves
"NY style deli's"...(unlike what most  deli's everywhere else in the nation seem to do !)

post edited by ellen4641 - 2009/11/05 09:52:33

97 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7840
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/04 22:54:34 (permalink)
    WOW, David's a cutie and that's a GREAT picture!

I can't believe those burned sandwich tops were even brought out to your table.  They should never have left the kitchen.

So how were the pickles?  Are those celery seeds in the slaw?

What did you order that came with all of that bread?

I'm out of questions!
    kkrhmom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/04 23:17:30 (permalink)
    Ok...just a few things.  First....boy, that David is a really cute guy   Next, wishing I could get my hands on that pastrami sandwich.  Yum, yum...  And lastly, why don't I live near a really great deli?? 
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 01:58:36 (permalink)
    mar52
    WOW, David's a cutie and that's a GREAT picture!

MAR52 and KKRHMOM :  The important things FIRST !!     YES, David Sax is simply ADORABLE !!!!
    And let's face it, if you are going to listen to someone talk about the joys of juicy, homemade pastrami, would'nt you rather hear it from David, instead of from a cranky, crusty oldtimer?!?
    (I'm poking fun at myself, as well, as I find I'm getting more & more cranky lately!)
    David's been eating pastrami & smoked meat since he was a little boy growing up in Toronto...
    he's wise beyond his years!   (only 30 years old , supposedly)  Wise,  but yet, he's like a breath of fresh air!

p.s. Tnx for the compliment on the pic of David signing my book;....... I had a random guy in line take the shot, and he took so long to pull the trigger, that it felt awkward....  plus, it was tough being frozen in that pose!!  But, I was very pleased with the end result...

post edited by ellen4641 - 2009/11/05 02:21:32
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 02:06:15 (permalink)
    mar52
    I can't believe those burned sandwich tops were even brought out to your table.  They should never have left the kitchen.
    So how were the pickles?  Are those celery seeds in the slaw?
    What did you order that came with all of that bread?

Yes, how can we SAVE THE DELI'S if they serve burnt rye bread like that?!? It took so long for that sandwich to come out to begin with, (and there was only one other table of people....it was 430 pm)
    My replacement piece of toasted rye took awhile to come out, too.  I ended up just buttering that one up, and enjoying some delicious rye toast....
    NO EXCUSE for BURNT bread! They tried to slip one by on me...

PICKLES were great; 1 garlicky one and 1 cucumber one..
    That is actually HEALTH SALAD, not cole slaw, hence the celery seeds...  it had to be the BEST health salad I've ever had..
    (Harold's Deli being a close 2nd) ... This plate was complimentary, and brought out to my table immediately...

My ice water should've came out right after I ordered it.... even after I came out of the bathroom, still NO ice water!!!
    I had to ask another waiter....
    My waitress had been busy "training" another girl; well ,should'nt training consist of bringing the drink right away to the customer? (I was the only table she had) and that was the only drink I ordered...

I ordered an extra side of rye bread & butter, hence all that extra bread...  got charged only 70 cents for it, which seems like a steal, compared to the $2.15 I got charged for at Langers....
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 08:22:34 (permalink)
    In my opinion, David isn't the cute one in the picture.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 08:40:23 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

I was just thinking the same thing, Gregg.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5023
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 09:33:04 (permalink)
    While I'm not a reuben fan that's some good-looking pastrami...is it possible to get a simple grilled pastrami and Swiss on rye at 4th Street?

Brad
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 09:37:17 (permalink)
    I'm confused. a rueben can't have pastrami, can it?
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 09:53:42 (permalink)
    Rate post © 2000-2009 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Commercial Version 3.5
    Foodosaurus

wheregreggeats.com

I was just thinking the same thing, Gregg.

You guys both just made my day !!

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 09:55:39 (permalink)
    Brad_Olson

While I'm not a reuben fan that's some good-looking pastrami...is it possible to get a simple grilled pastrami and Swiss on rye at 4th Street?

Brad

Good question, Brad... as you want the pastrami GRILLED, instead of the normal steaming...
    Well, I'd like to think that they'd be willing to do it for you....

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 09:59:43 (permalink)
    bill voss

I'm confused. a rueben can't have pastrami, can it?

Hi Bill,
    Good question !  I can see your confusion ....
    cause much  of the time, one will only see the traditional corned beef reuben on the menu.
    But in the last few years or so, I'm noticing more and more TURKEY reubens and PASTRAMI reubens as options , also...
    thrilling for me, cause  I love all 3 types !  Try a turkey reuben next chance you get.....it rocks !!!

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 10:18:30 (permalink)
    So  what makes it a rueben? I thought it was the combo of
    Corned Beef, Sauerkraut, and Thousand Island?
    Any other meat makes it just a sandwich with sauerkraut on it.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6341
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 10:43:12 (permalink)
    Here in the Midwest if turkey is used it is called a Rachael on the menu. Is that normal elsewhere? Here are some examples from a couple of my favorite places...

http://www.mcgarryspub.co...rs-and-sandwiches.html

http://www.lyonspub.com/lyonspage2.htm
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6249
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 11:54:18 (permalink)
    I've been offered both corned beef and pastrami for a Reuben in many diners(where for some reason I love to order a Reuben).....both are great...corned beef, my favorite....and yes, if a place served burned rye bread like that...I'd send it back....and write a cheap place like that off my list...after I'd explained to the chef the error of his ways!!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 12:06:33 (permalink)
    I had a corned buffalo Reuben at the Steamworks Brewpub in Durango, Colorado.
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 12:19:10 (permalink)
    bill voss

The original recipe for a Reuben is corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and Thousand island dressing on rye. In most places, if pastrami or turkey is used in place of the corned beef it becomes a Rachel. 
    rainyday6
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 12:27:53 (permalink)
     I think a Rachel also has coleslaw instead of saurkraut.

Did you really eat all that?  You look so tiny and cute.  Is David married?  
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 12:58:44 (permalink)
    rainyday6

I think a Rachel also has coleslaw instead of saurkraut.

Not in the upper Midwest. Same ingredients just different meat.
    rainyday6
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 13:22:18 (permalink)
    I'm getting hungry.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/05 17:31:15 (permalink)
    rainyday6 
    Did you really eat all that?  You look so tiny and cute.  Is David married?  

First off, tnx so much for the nice compliment!!! 

Answer #1 : It was so huge that I only ate  1/2 of it !
    Answer #2  : David is almost married......he's engaged ....
                         (According to his "relationship" status on his Facebook wall)
                         An adorable & witty guy like him does'nt stay single for long , I guess ...!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/06 07:39:49 (permalink)
    bill voss

Bill, as a NYC native, I was brought up to think of a Reuben as Corned Beef, Sauerkraut & Thousand Island, too.  I have since discovered that the rest of the country is not so strict about the name. Once the Reuben left home, all bets were off.

Should I bring up the Grouper Reuben served in parts of Florida? " />
    acer2x
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 444
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/06 08:12:49 (permalink)
    I'm sorry I missed this event.

Yes, Philly delis DO NOT market themselves as " New York style." We have nothing to do with NY, especially after the World Series. We do have a rich history of delis here.Some have been around for many years- Murray's,Hymies, Jack's, Famous 4th Street and others. Unfortunately, most were "slicer joints" until Russ Cowan came along. I recently had an excellent hot pastrami at Hershel's in the Reading Terminal Market- hand cut right before your very eyes a la Katz's.

I think the "Corned Beef Special" was invented in Philly. That's cold thin sliced corned beef,cole slaw and Russian dressing on rye. I rarely see that in delis elsewhere.
    CheeseWit
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/06 08:20:28 (permalink)
    acer2x: You might be right about the corned beef special. In North Jersey, it's called a Sloppy Joe. Interesting name as most of the country thinks a sloppy joe is ground beef in sauce on a hamburger bun.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/06 08:35:20 (permalink)
    ellen4641, Nice report!

I can't imangine anyone doing more to "Save the Deli" than our own Pastrami Princess

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/06 09:29:32 (permalink)
    Great report, Ellen. We have missed you here on the boards.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/06 10:48:38 (permalink)
    joerogo 
    I can't imagine anyone doing more to "Save the Deli" than our own Pastrami Princess 

Aw, that is sweet, Joe Rogo !!
    "Pastrami Princess",  "Pastrami Queen" .......I will gladly answer to either of  those titles!

And if David Sax ever wants an assistant,  I'd love to help his cause!
    I'd even work for free, for the love of our "succulent pastrami" saving mission!!

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/06 10:56:42 (permalink)
    acer2x
    Yes, Philly delis DO NOT market themselves as " New York style."  We do have a rich history of delis here.Some have been around for many years- Murray's,Hymies, Jack's, Famous 4th Street and others. Unfortunately, most were "slicer joints" until Russ Cowan came along. I recently had an excellent hot pastrami at Hershel's

Great points you made, Steve!! So all  those Murray's and Hymie's places are just slicer joints, huh?!? (just like I suspected) Whereby , they just slice up premade pastrami ..
    (not homemade)....they probably make their own turkeys and briskets, at least..
    How about corned beef?  I'm finding more joints will make their own corned beef, compared to pastrami?

Ever hear of MARTY'S deli ??? (aka Mrs. Marty's)....one member of the audience in Philly says he's owned that deli in Broomall, Philly suburb, for 25 years, and that he makes his own corned beef...

Thank goodness there is  homemade pastrami at HERSHEL'S, and at FAMOUS 4th St. Deli!!!
    Probably about the only 2 in the Philly aread for HOMEMADE, right, Steve???

Hey, cute comment about Philadelphian's DISASSOCIATING themselves from NYC , "espescially after the World Series" ....!!
    Personally, I'm a former huge Mets fan, from "back in the day"....Tom Seaver, Ed Kranepool,
    Tug McGraw, Ron Swoboda, etc...   so I stayed relatively neutral with this World Series..

CheeseWit
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/06 11:06:39 (permalink)
    ellen4641

acer2x
    Yes, Philly delis DO NOT market themselves as " New York style."  We do have a rich history of delis here.Some have been around for many years- Murray's,Hymies, Jack's, Famous 4th Street and others. Unfortunately, most were "slicer joints" until Russ Cowan came along. I recently had an excellent hot pastrami at Hershel's

Great points you made, Steve!! So all  those Murray's and Hymie's places are just slicer joints, huh?!? (just like I suspected) Whereby , they just slice up premade pastrami ..
    (not homemade)....they probably make their own turkeys and briskets, at least..
    How about corned beef?  I'm finding more joints will make their own corned beef, compared to pastrami?

Ever hear of MARTY'S deli ??? (aka Mrs. Marty's)....one member of the audience in Philly says he's owned that deli in Broomall, Philly suburb, for 25 years, and that he makes his own corned beef...

Thank goodness there is  homemade pastrami at HERSHEL'S, and at FAMOUS 4th St. Deli!!!
    Probably about the only 2 in the Philly aread for HOMEMADE, right, Steve???

Hey, cute comment about Philadelphian's DISASSOCIATING themselves from NYC , "espescially after the World Series" ....!!
    Personally, I'm a former huge Mets fan, from "back in the day"....Tom Seaver, Ed Kranepool,
    Tug McGraw, Ron Swoboda, etc...   so I stayed relatively neutral with this World Series..

Ellen, 
    I wanted to go to the Library the other night but something else came up. Glad you went. In my opinion, Mrs. Marty's deli in the Lawrence Park Shopping Center in Broomall is not worth visiting. I used to live around the corner (literally in walking distance) from it and after going a couple times, we would drive 20 minutes to Hymie's or Murray's in Bala Cynwyd. A couple of delis in the Philly area worth going to are Pumpernick's in Montgomeryville, Steve Stein's Famous in the Northeast, and Ben and Irv's in Huntingdon Valley.
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 560
    Re:PASTRAMI in PHILLY!! And my "MEAT-up" with DAVID SAX !! "Save the Deli", he says !! 2009/11/06 11:13:14 (permalink)
    I remember being a student years ago and really enjoying the corned beef and pastrami (and the chopped liver) served at Koch's Deli in West Philadelphia.  It was quite the place, always mobbed, and according to this http://www.yelp.com/biz/k...nd-deli-philadelphia-2 it still hasn't lost its charm or its quality.
    I don't know if they make the pastrami or corned beef on premises, but it sure is good!
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1