Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

PBS Sandwich video

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36
yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
PBS Sandwich video Fri, 03/7/03 3:30 PM (permalink)
Hi All -

Out here in Seattle our local PBS station has been offering as a part of their Beg-a-thon a video on the American Sandwich. They cover everything from the Maine Lobster Roll to the Vietnamese Banh Mi to some strange pseudo-Chinese deepfried thing that you can only get in St Louis. Anyway, they broadcast the video and then offer it as a gift if you donate $75. Not having $75 to spare, I'm wondering if this video is available for sale anywhere.

-Yumbo

salembrewer

• Total Posts: 24
    RE: PBS Sandwich video Fri, 03/7/03 10:26 PM (permalink)
    That show, "Sandwiches You Will Like" on PBS absolutely ROCKS if you are into roadfood. If you see it on your listings, make the time. As far as availibility I believe they are only a pledge reward item at this time.

M&M

• Total Posts: 106
      RE: PBS Sandwich video Sun, 03/9/03 12:32 PM (permalink)
      For the record, that "so-called" psudeo-Chinese thing in St. Louis is a St. Paul sandwich. If you ever happen to be in STL don't miss the opportunity to have one along with some toasted ravioli and gooey butter cake.

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
        RE: PBS Sandwich video Mon, 03/10/03 3:34 PM (permalink)
        Saw the Sandwich show this weekend on PBS. It was great ! I have checked on both Amazon and the PBS shopping site and can NOT find the video. Maybe they will make it available soon.

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
          RE: PBS Sandwich video Mon, 03/10/03 5:04 PM (permalink)
          Can you tell me what goes into the sandwich and why it's so popular in St Louis? It was fascinating to watch them make it.

-Yumbo
          quote:
          Originally posted by M&M

For the record, that "so-called" psudeo-Chinese thing in St. Louis is a St. Paul sandwich. If you ever happen to be in STL don't miss the opportunity to have one along with some toasted ravioli and gooey butter cake.

M&M

RE: PBS Sandwich video Mon, 03/10/03 6:33 PM (permalink)
            egg foo young patty on white bread with lettuce and tomato

Michael Stern

RE: PBS Sandwich video Tue, 03/11/03 4:11 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by M&M

egg foo young patty on white bread with lettuce and tomato

... and sometimes a square slice of American cheese, too!

gak

• Total Posts: 1
                RE: PBS Sandwich video Thu, 03/13/03 7:58 PM (permalink)
                I recently saw it on my local PBS affiliate and it is great! Makes me want to go to NYC just for the Katz's pastrami sandwich. Anyway, there is a link for it at http://www.wqed.org/tv/natl/sandwiches/

travis

• Total Posts: 16
                  RE: PBS Sandwich video Thu, 03/13/03 10:58 PM (permalink)
                  Yumbo/M&M/Michael,

Compare the St. Paul sandwich (which is not that different from a western omelet on a roll) to the Greek diner-menu standard of "Chinese roast pork on garlic bread" or Nathan's chow mein on a bun (I think the original Coney Island outlet is the only one left serving it).

I don't know, my fellow foodies, I'll try the St.Paul thing when I get to St. Louis, but I feel signature places should stick to what they are good at...I go to Nathan's for a dog, to a diner for a burger, and I would never order any of the "American specialties" on a Chinese menu.

BTW...are there any other "St. XXX" things out there? I know of St. Joseph's pastries and St.Pauli Girl...well...any St.Augustine foods? All I can think of is Twinkies, but I went through 4 years of high school with the Augustinians and ate Twinkies for lunch every day with a Coke (if it were that way today, Father Bo would be in jail).

M&M

RE: PBS Sandwich video Fri, 03/14/03 9:59 AM (permalink)
                    St. Emilion, Potage Saint Germain, Coquilles St. Jacques, Bishop's Stew and Church Window Cookies (ok saint is not in the name but the receipes are in the Saint Margaret of Scotland School Cookbook which I won at a trivia contest last year). And, how about "Our Lord's Scripture Cake" or "Resurrection cake" from White Trash Cooking? Ok, close, but no cigar. Devil's food cake. Sorry, wrong direction.

mattyb15601

• Total Posts: 18
                      RE: PBS Sandwich video Thu, 03/27/03 12:59 PM (permalink)
                      No you can not get it yet with out making the donations. this show was done by rick sebak here in pittsburgh, WQED . he also made the Hot Dog Show, great stuff. The videos usually come up for sale about a year after pledge week. PS just buy it and support your local PBS station you cheap *$$%%%&&&&!!!!!!! I mean it you skin flint
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by yumbo

Hi All -

Out here in Seattle our local PBS station has been offering as a part of their Beg-a-thon a video on the American Sandwich. They cover everything from the Maine Lobster Roll to the Vietnamese Banh Mi to some strange pseudo-Chinese deepfried thing that you can only get in St Louis. Anyway, they broadcast the video and then offer it as a gift if you donate $75. Not having $75 to spare, I'm wondering if this video is available for sale anywhere.

-Yumbo

Michael Stern

RE: PBS Sandwich video Thu, 03/27/03 4:47 PM (permalink)
                        The only saintly thing other than a St. Paul sandwich that comes to mind is the St. Joseph Sandwich at Virgilio's in Gloucester, Mass:

Stephen Rushmore Jr.

RE: PBS Sandwich video Thu, 03/27/03 5:20 PM (permalink)
                          Wow, I got to try one of those after hitting the Clam Box!

wallhd

RE: PBS Sandwich video Thu, 03/27/03 8:46 PM (permalink)
                            The sandwich book and video sound very interesting. But to make a $ 75 "donation for one or both....they can kiss me where the sun don't shine!!

Wally

Julia I

RE: PBS Sandwich video Sun, 05/25/03 12:37 PM (permalink)
                              The "Sandwiches That You Will Like" book and video are available at the WQED website now. VHS tape: $19.95, DVD: $22.95, book: $24.95
                              http://www.wqed.org/genl/shop/national.html
                              This is good because I never saw it on my local PBS station.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                                RE: PBS Sandwich video Wed, 02/25/04 11:44 AM (permalink)
                                I ordered the VHS from WQED and got it in the mail last night. You get the director's cut, it's a little longer and does a lot of concentrating on Philly. I wish it was a little more diverse like Rick's hot dog program, but it was worth the money. You can also order it from Amazon, but they have to order it to have it in stock.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                  RE: PBS Sandwich video Wed, 02/25/04 12:15 PM (permalink)
                                  I've worked for PBS for 15 years. Most items offered during these "beggin' for bucks" periods are exclusive to PBS ususally for a period of 6 months to a year. Should you be watching your favorite cooking show pay close attention to the closing credits. Alot of times there will be a numbering for ordering products. Most of the time it is from the producing PBS station, or PBS video(has a website). NEVER will you see this number during pledge, as that defeats the money raising process. All money raised during these drives is for programming only, it pays no salaries, equipment costs, etc. These pledge drives although annoying are necessary, believe me I hear it all of the time! So when able, support your local PBS stations, all donations are essential, no matter the size. Brenda typing while watching Justin Wilson.....

Maynerd

• Total Posts: 256
                                    RE: PBS Sandwich video Wed, 02/25/04 1:19 PM (permalink)
                                    "Sandwiches That You Will Like" not available on the PBS station in Dallas

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                                      RE: PBS Sandwich video Wed, 02/25/04 1:51 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Rusty246

I've worked for PBS for 15 years. Most items offered during these "beggin' for bucks" periods are exclusive to PBS ususally for a period of 6 months to a year. Should you be watching your favorite cooking show pay close attention to the closing credits. Alot of times there will be a numbering for ordering products. Most of the time it is from the producing PBS station, or PBS video(has a website). NEVER will you see this number during pledge, as that defeats the money raising process. All money raised during these drives is for programming only, it pays no salaries, equipment costs, etc. These pledge drives although annoying are necessary, believe me I hear it all of the time! So when able, support your local PBS stations, all donations are essential, no matter the size. Brenda typing while watching Justin Wilson.....

After working in "for-profit" TV for 8 years, I've come to really enjoy and respect my PBS peers. My satellite company doesn't carry PBS right now, so I'm a little deprived.

Lynne

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                        RE: PBS Sandwich video Wed, 02/25/04 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                        Has anyone gotton the companion book to this video? Just curious if it's a worthwhile buy?

Rusty246

RE: PBS Sandwich video Wed, 02/25/04 3:32 PM (permalink)
                                          PBS Video also has video, book, DVD/book set, etc. for sale. We aren't airing it either......casseroles instead.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
                                            RE: PBS Sandwich video Wed, 02/25/04 3:38 PM (permalink)
                                            Can't even get a reply from my local station about airing the sandwich show, even though they do have the Hot Dog show on their playlist.

Not suprising they are having a hard tiem raising funds when they won't even reply to a simple email request.

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
                                              RE: PBS Sandwich video Thu, 07/8/04 4:45 PM (permalink)

ROADFOOD ALERT for WASHINGTON, DC area viewers!!!!

TONITE THURSDAY JULY 8, 2004

Channel 26, WETA in Washington, DC is showing Rick Sebak's acclaimed documentary, Sandwiches You Will Like tonite, Thursday July 8, 2004 at 8:00 PM EDT.

It also repeats Saturday nite (Sunday morning) at 2:58 AM EDT. Either tune in or set those VCRS!!! If you have not yet seen it, it is one of Sebak's finest shows.

See www.weta.org for other times that it will be shown this month on WETA Channel 26!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                                                RE: PBS Sandwich video Sun, 07/11/04 2:55 AM (permalink)
                                                This must be Rick Sebak week, at least in the Baltimore Washington area, in celebration of his latest video "Unusual Buildings and Other Roadside Stuff" which premiers on MPT (Maryland Public Television) Sunday night July 11, at 8 PM.

Sandwiches you will like, Shore Things, Hot Dog program, and Great old amusement parks, are all on the schedule this week on MPT, WETA (ch. 26 in DC) and WHUT in DC. As they say, check your local listings.

buffetbuster

RE: PBS Sandwich video Tue, 01/2/07 8:05 AM (permalink)
                                                  signman-
                                                  I know it has been a long time since you asked, but better late than never....

While I was Christmas shopping this year, I came across and bought the companion book to the "Sandwiches You Will Like" video. And yes, it is worthwhile. Lots of history of different sandwiches, recipes and recommendations of where to get them. I also really enjoyed the section in the back about the making of the video.

DanaJ

• Total Posts: 71
                                                    RE: PBS Sandwich video Tue, 01/2/07 10:28 PM (permalink)
                                                    I have the PBS show on DVD "Sandwhiches you will like." It's really interesting, and I rented it off netflix about a year ago. Barely any demand for it, so it shipped fast and was immediately available.
                                                    I also have other similar PBS shows including ones on ice cream and hotdogs.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                                      RE: PBS Sandwich video Tue, 01/2/07 11:33 PM (permalink)
                                                      I have a video tape I made personally with the hot dog show and the amusement park show. Bobby Rydell was awesome!

buffetbuster

RE: PBS Sandwich video Mon, 01/8/07 1:37 PM (permalink)
                                                        I was at Schwabl's in Buffalo (actually West Seneca) over the weekend and the waitress told me that Rick Sebak, the filmmaker behind "Sandwiches You Will Like" recently ate there. Rick told them he is currently filming a show about cemetaries, but it isn't nearly as much fun as making the sandwich show. I think we could all agree on that!

Rusty246

• Location: Newberry, FL
                                                          RE: PBS Sandwich video Mon, 01/8/07 1:53 PM (permalink)
                                                          The DVD of this show is available at "shop PBS" for $22.95 if you want to own it.

tooslimnc

• Total Posts: 20
                                                            • Location: Charlotte , NC
                                                            RE: PBS Sandwich video Tue, 09/25/07 8:05 PM (permalink)
                                                            Also available at Netflix if you want to rent. It is a great show, all of Rick Sebak's documentaries are wonderful....Look for his Cemetary Special (yes, cemetaries!!), The Ice Cream Show, and the Hot Dog Show!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com