PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8318
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/02 16:36:01 (permalink)
Play dates.  When I was a kid we just went out and played.

Storm alerts in Los Angeles and then we might get 3 drops of rain.
BelleReve
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1177
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/02 17:40:10 (permalink)
Co-workers who don't cleanup behind themselves in the employee break room - baked on food splatters in the microwave, lunches left to spoil, drips and spills in the refrigerator -  
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/02 17:49:50 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Parents who talk to their 2 year olds as if they are too dimwitted to understand proper English.
Oh, yeah -- And people who speak baby talk to babies. Speak English folks. That way they'll learn to speak an actual language.

2 yr. olds too dimwitted? I don't believe a 2 yr. old is properly "witted" to carry on an adult conversation, You, of course, were an exception, we're you not?

jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/02 20:07:18 (permalink)
Agree... people seem to almost yell when talking on cell phones.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8318
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/02 20:33:38 (permalink)
The very hard of hearing who won't wear hearing aids.
bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1338
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/02 23:07:35 (permalink)
mar52 When there is limited street parking and the person at the front of the street doesn't pull up as far to the corner as allowed, taking up the space of two cars.

I've been thinking of printing out the following on a laser printer (so that it is waterproof ink) on sheets of paper and putting it in the windshield wiper of cars parked badly:

Dear driver: Please consider your car "keyed". If you are not aware of the term, it is the act of taking a car key, and scraping it down the side of your car, putting a large scratch on the side of your car. Luckily for you, I actually care about other people, and would never actually do this. However, if you keep parking as badly as you have, especially as spots here are heavily in demand, then someone with the same level of care about others as you have WILL key your car.
Maybe a checkbox list to specify what the driver did, such as "take two spots on a block", or, "take two spots in a parking lot near an entrance" or "park in a handicapped zone without a handicap permit" or "double park when there is insufficient room for larger cars to get past you", etc.

Bart
shadow666
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/03 01:05:34 (permalink)
Bart.....That was super clever.....I like that...........Shadow
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3610
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/03 10:04:21 (permalink)
chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Parents who talk to their 2 year olds as if they are too dimwitted to understand proper English.
Oh, yeah -- And people who speak baby talk to babies. Speak English folks. That way they'll learn to speak an actual language.

2 yr. olds too dimwitted? I don't believe a 2 yr. old is properly "witted" to carry on an adult conversation, You, of course, were an exception, we're you not?

My niece's two-year-old has been carrying on conversations for almost six months, and not just with family members. They're not stupid. There is a huge difference between speaking with simpler words and speaking nonsense. They'll never learn English (or any other language) if you prattle to them instead of using actual words.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/03 12:50:29 (permalink)
felix4067

chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

My niece's two-year-old has been carrying on conversations for almost six months, and not just with family members. They're not stupid. There is a huge difference between speaking with simpler words and speaking nonsense. They'll never learn English (or any other language) if you prattle to them instead of using actual words.

I agree felix, that's how it's been in my family. Plus they can all sit and hold a decent conversation instead of grunting.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10483
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/03 13:08:35 (permalink)
I would have never believed this one if I didn't see it for myself.....

While on a trip to Utah last week, I stopped in a movie theater to see Moneyball.  An elderly woman in the back row had her cell phone ring three different times.  The last time, she actually answered it and was talking so loud, you couldn't hear the movie.  At this point, we were all laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation.  If it had been someone younger, I would have most definitely said something. 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18870
Re:PET PEEVES.....EVERYBODY HAS AT LEAST ONE.....WHAT'S YOURS ? 2011/10/03 14:11:44 (permalink)
chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Whether I might have been an exception doesn't matter. What matters is whether one wishes to dumb down the spoken word and delay the learning of a child. Speak normally to a 2 year old -- or a brand new baby -- and learning takes place. Speak baby talk and learning is delayed.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1