PIECE in Chicago

Author
fredferris
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2005/07/08 10:08:00 (permalink)

PIECE in Chicago

Hey..has anyone been to Piece in Bucktown in Chicago...just read somewhere that it's owned by a guy with ties to "a popular New Haven pizzeria"...having just had Frank Pepe's white clam pizza for the first time, mouth is watering that this may be an authentic outlet here in Chicago pizza wasteland!

18 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/07/08 10:24:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fredferris

mouth is watering that this may be an authentic outlet here in Chicago pizza wasteland!

O'Boy!!!---think i will get out of the line of fire before the proverbial &^#* hits the fan!! You might want to find cover fred!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18495
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/07/08 10:29:31 (permalink)
    Ah, but it's good to see someone call Chicago pizza what it really is.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/07/09 00:23:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Sorry Mike but I'm not taking the bait!
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 79
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/02 17:40:19 (permalink)
    quote:

As a native NYer I totally agree. The Chicago deep dish style that you eat with a knife and fork is way overrated. When I want pizza I'm not looking for lasagna on doe.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7849
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/02 17:53:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bxfinest

quote:

As a native NYer I totally agree. The Chicago deep dish style that you eat with a knife and fork is way overrated. When I want pizza I'm not looking for lasagna on doe.

Sorry,

Being a native Long Islander, I have to say they're both good. Luckily Rhode Island Pizza can compete (well, almost) with NY Pizza and I always look forward to Deep Dish when visiting Chicago- it's just as good- just different.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/02 17:55:50 (permalink)
    What did the guy say in the new book "Pizza: A Slice of Heaven" (a new book surveying pizza across the country)? Something to the effect that Chicago pizza is good when considered as a casserole....
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4253
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/02 19:46:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    having just had Frank Pepe's white clam pizza for the first time, mouth is watering that this may be an authentic outlet here in Chicago pizza wasteland!

Very tempting, but like Tommy2dogs I will not be drawn down to the level of these Phillistines. I know some Chicagoans have an inferiority complex, but not this boy. I've been a New York/East Coast visitor many times and have always appreciated the food and cultural offerings of that part of the country. Cherish the similarities and celebrate the differences, I say.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/02 23:36:31 (permalink)
    Got to admit---you Chicago folks are proving yourselves to ve a class act here! Well put Buddy!!!!
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/04 07:46:16 (permalink)
    As a native of NY state, and a former resident of Chicago, I can firmly say that good pizza is good pizza, no matter what style, or where its made.

That said...clams on a pizza?...get out!
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/04 17:22:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Got to admit---you Chicago folks are proving yourselves to ve a class act here! Well put Buddy!!!!

Tiki What would you expect from Chicago folk, After all we're not New Yorkers.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/04 17:39:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Tiki What would you expect from Chicago folk, After all we're not New Yorkers.

LOL!!! Gotta admit--i like thier food---but---for this ole Red Sox Nation citizen,its HARD breaking breaqd with a Yankees Fan!!! ...i even got a daughter living there!!!---at least she's in Brooklyn!
    lilbuddypizza
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/10 08:01:32 (permalink)
    Hey now:
    Pizza is like sex--even when it's bad, it's good.
    I like all kinds, I wouldn't knock NY style at all. That being said, from my experience, East Coasters that dislike Chicago pizza,REALLY dislike it. I can see not liking the filling stuffed or deep dish, but thin? Come on. It may not be NY, but it has merits.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/10 12:47:16 (permalink)
    Trivia: Piece is co-owned by, of all people, Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick.
    fredferris
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/11 11:54:24 (permalink)
    Actually finally ate here, and tried the white clam pie...although certainly not in New Haven's league, not bad at all. They give it a good effort. Brought a native Chicagoan as well who initially turned up her nose at the idea of clams on pizza....and SHE LOVED IT! Wouldn't go there at night, however, as I hear the place converts into an obnoxious frat party atmosphere (mirroring, unfortunately, the sad changes taking place in a previously artsy, hip, progressive neighborhod.)

But, by far the best thin crust pizza I've found so far in Chicago is Marie's on West Lawrence....it's not New Haven style....and they still insist on cutting pies into SQUARE PIECES (Why they do this in the Midwest baffles me to no end!)...but still, this is a fantastic pie, in a old-style, red-boothed atmosphere...highly recommend it!
    slackademic
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/11 15:20:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fredferris

Actually finally ate here, and tried the white clam pie...although certainly not in New Haven's league, not bad at all. They give it a good effort. Brought a native Chicagoan as well who initially turned up her nose at the idea of clams on pizza....and SHE LOVED IT! Wouldn't go there at night, however, as I hear the place converts into an obnoxious frat party atmosphere (mirroring, unfortunately, the sad changes taking place in a previously artsy, hip, progressive neighborhod.)

But, by far the best thin crust pizza I've found so far in Chicago is Marie's on West Lawrence....it's not New Haven style....and they still insist on cutting pies into SQUARE PIECES (Why they do this in the Midwest baffles me to no end!)...but still, this is a fantastic pie, in a old-style, red-boothed atmosphere...highly recommend it!

Wow, everyone's hatin on Chicago pizza. That's too bad. I love pizza and love both NY Pizza and the deep dish pizza from my hometown. To me, it just depends on what mood I am in. Since moving to San Diego though, I have had mostly NY style thin crust. If anyone comes out here, try Bronx Pizza. It is good and is endorsed by New Yorkers.

I also don't get the square pieces bit. When a pizza is cut like that, I only eat the edges. Pizza should be cut like a pie. The square cut just gets your hands greasier. Then again, in Chicago, when you eat pizza, beef, or sausage, you're supposed to get real greasy.
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/11 15:42:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Trivia: Piece is co-owned by, of all people, Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick.

I saw the Inside Dish with Rachael Ray and Rick http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_id/episode/0,1976,FOOD_18628_36957,00.html regarding his restaurant, PIECE. The place was really nice and the pizzas looked fabulous. Rachael seemed genuinely impressed. It's a good episode if you can get past her irritating giggle.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/11 17:14:10 (permalink)
    Fortunately for me and unfortuantely for the rest of you the best pizza in Chicago is what my brother makes for me at home. When he visits us in San Francisco he makes the best pizza there. It's deep dish, but with his special touches.

My late partner didn't share my high opinion of my brother's pizza, and every week ordered a mediocre thin crust pizza from a neighborhood joint in Chicago. This made me very tired of standard pizzas, so I tend to enjoy what's new in pizzaland.

If you are feeling intolerant of others' choices for their pizza, I just suggest you review the scene in "Bambi" where Thumper is reminded what his father said "...just this morning". You will be in a better frame of mind for it.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18495
    RE: PIECE in Chicago 2005/08/11 17:56:51 (permalink)
    I killed Bambi and Thumper last fall. Neither one of them is saying anything these days. They were pretty good eating, though.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1