Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4612

50 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5099
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 12:12:15 (permalink)
    The comments read like a Roadfood thread.

Brad
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 12:17:11 (permalink)
    I loved the comment by Iowa: "....Even better, why not make "The Hut" the home to the entire Yum brand? Have your pizza, tacos, fish, coneys, chicken, etc. under one roof!  Think of the profitability of only advertising one line of stores!...."  That sounds a lot like the definition of an ordinary full-service variety restaurant or buffet to me.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 12:37:52 (permalink)
    I have always disliked Pizza Hut-dont care what they call it....
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 13:00:33 (permalink)
    Does anyone know where I can get some coupons for Pizza Hut or Papa Johns?
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 14:04:49 (permalink)
    You know how they can't call those bottled mixtures of concentrated fruit juice, water, Crisco oil, and corn syrup as 'fruit juice' but have to call them 'fruit drink?'

Maybe Pizza Hut's pizza no longer meets the legal of definition of pizza, so they can't call the place Pizza Hut anymore? One April Fool's day a few years ago, they ran TV ads saying they were changing  the name of the place to Pasta Hut.

This is just the latest in a series of silly marketing efforts by Yum Brands. The hoopla about moving the piece of paper with the KFC recipe on it, the free KFC Grilled Chicken promotion on Oprah that they piked on, LJS's offer of free Giant Shrimp if NASA found evidence of an ocean on Mars, etc.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4591
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 14:29:31 (permalink)
    I still want to know how the King from Burger King was able to get inside my house, into my bed next to me, and also have a piping hot croissandwich in hand ready for me when I woke up.

I thanked him for the Crossandwich as the cops cuffed and dragged him away on home invasion charges, btw. 
    sgtboots
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 16:03:46 (permalink)
    Our Pizza Hut just got a new sign, it's a Wing Street now.

I don't think they know what they want to be.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 16:41:59 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

Does anyone know where I can get some coupons for Pizza Hut or Papa Johns?

in my newsparer recycling bin. they come every week
    you'd better be kidding
    sk bob
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 16:47:53 (permalink)
    rebranding junk
    you can put listick on a pig on a pig & its still a pig
    wheel of fortune... entertainment tonight....s*#@ty pizza, yeah they go together
    sk bob
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 16:48:49 (permalink)
    sorry don''t know why thats in blue
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 19:35:24 (permalink)
    YUM!

"This isn't the first time for Pizza Hut parent Yum Brands to change the branding of one of its iconic restaurant chains, which include Taco Bell. In 1991, the company rebranded Kentucky Fried Chicken as KFC. Recently, to highlight the company's healthier grilled chicken offerings, the company has referred to the KFC brand as KGC.

In other news related to YUM, two California residents are reportedly suing the KFC chain for failing to give them a free grilled chicken sandwich. The customers are claiming that a sandwich giveaway promoted by Oprah Winfrey was a "bait and switch" scheme aimed at getting folks in the door to buy other menu items, according to The Associated Press. KFCs were overwhelmed by demand for the sandwiches."
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/23 20:53:57 (permalink)
    David_NYC

You know how they can't call those bottled mixtures of concentrated fruit juice, water, Crisco oil, and corn syrup as 'fruit juice' but have to call them 'fruit drink?'

Maybe Pizza Hut's pizza no longer meets the legal of definition of pizza, so they can't call the place Pizza Hut anymore? One April Fool's day a few years ago, they ran TV ads saying they were changing  the name of the place to Pasta Hut.

This is just the latest in a series of silly marketing efforts by Yum Brands. The hoopla about moving the piece of paper with the KFC recipe on it, the free KFC Grilled Chicken promotion on Oprah that they piked on, LJS's offer of free Giant Shrimp if NASA found evidence of an ocean on Mars, etc.

Pizza Hut meets the legal definition of pizza here in Kansas where the chain started.  It's an easy definition to meet in a State where people wouldn't know pizza if it bit them on the ass.
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 366
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/24 08:15:56 (permalink)
    i used to like pizza hut thin & crispy, but the last few times i ordered it, it was nothing like pizza.... more like pizza toppings on a stale flour tortilla. nasty.....

yum! brands has managed to wreck every fast-food chain they own. pizza hut and taco bell were tolerable when they were still owned by tri-con..... the worst, at least in my area, is long john silvers. their fish tastes like kfc original recipe, probably because they are frying in the wrong oil... this also confirms my belief that the secret kfc spices are mostly in the cooking oil, not the breading......
    collinf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/24 09:53:57 (permalink)
    Niagara
    Pizza Hut meets the legal definition of pizza here in Kansas where the chain started.  It's an easy definition to meet in a State where people wouldn't know pizza if it bit them on the ass.

Amen and agree 100% with that.  You have to really do some searching to find good pizza out here, but none of them come from a chain.  The best of the major chain pizzas I have found is Papa John's, but they are still more of a last resort for me.

I think what makes places like Pizza Hut, Papa John's, and Dominos so popular is they are in your face with commericials, coupons, special deals, and delivery service.  They have the largest share of voice and noise factor going on with their marketing.  They make it so easy for today's fast-paced, 'don't have time' society to get it with little hassle.  I remember the days when you drove to a Pizza Hut and you waited 20-25 minutes for your pizza to be cooked in a deck oven, there was only one type of crust, and it was made there on site, not frozen. 

Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/24 11:05:33 (permalink)
    collinf

Niagara

Amen and agree 100% with that.  You have to really do some searching to find good pizza out here, but none of them come from a chain.  The best of the major chain pizzas I have found is Papa John's, but they are still more of a last resort for me.

I think what makes places like Pizza Hut, Papa John's, and Dominos so popular is they are in your face with commericials, coupons, special deals, and delivery service.  They have the largest share of voice and noise factor going on with their marketing.  They make it so easy for today's fast-paced, 'don't have time' society to get it with little hassle.  I remember the days when you drove to a Pizza Hut and you waited 20-25 minutes for your pizza to be cooked in a deck oven, there was only one type of crust, and it was made there on site, not frozen. 

I think that what makes these restaurants popular is that they locate in places like Kansas where there aren't any local, family owned pizza joints, and the people don't know anything about pizza.

We don't have many of these back in New York where I grew up, because everyone goes to a neighborhood family run pizza place and gets real pizza made by Italians.

Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/24 22:37:26 (permalink)
    Set...Hut Hut

The NFL preseason starts next month!  
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/24 22:51:38 (permalink)
    collinf I remember the days when you drove to a Pizza Hut and you waited 20-25 minutes for your pizza to be cooked in a deck oven, there was only one type of crust, and it was made there on site, not frozen. 

Yeah apparently I stopped going to them for a few years.

I remember when they were decent and I liked to have a pan pizza every so often, maybe once a year, because it was like a different kind of food from regular pizza.

Now the pizza hut pizza is barely even on my list as food, much less pizza
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/24 23:04:18 (permalink)
    I do not ever recall getting a pie from them worth eating.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/25 00:10:46 (permalink)
    Here in the greater Chicagoland area, we probably have close to two thousand independent pizza places ( more or less ), and yet Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa John's are all over the place and seem to be doing reasonably well. Figure that one out if you can....    
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/25 08:04:35 (permalink)
    Many consumers have never had great pizza and think these awful chain pies are what pizza is supposed to be.

That is the way it is in Cincinnati and Dayton and probably most cities in the USA.

A minor tragedy.  Except for the really good independent pizza pie makers.
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/25 10:16:26 (permalink)
    nocarolina

Here in the greater Chicagoland area, we probably have close to two thousand independent pizza places ( more or less ), and yet Pizza Hut, Domino's and Papa John's are all over the place and seem to be doing reasonably well. Figure that one out if you can....    

I can't. Why would you go to Pizza Hut or Domino's when you could go to Lou Malnati's?
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1020
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/25 13:00:19 (permalink)
    I've only eaten at Pizza The Hut about 2 or 3 times since they took the Priazzo off the menu. Well, now that I think about it, that's not true... when I lived outside of Seattle, Pizza Hut was the best pizza I could find for a while, until I found Jet City Pizza, which, while not that great, was still way better. Before that time, when I was too lazy to make it myself and had a jones for pizza, I'd get it from the Hut. Because sometimes iffy pizza can be better than no pizza.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/25 18:36:06 (permalink)
    Niagara

nocarolina

I can't. Why would you go to Pizza Hut or Domino's when you could go to Lou Malnati's?
    People not raised on great pizza know nothing about what it should be like - that is the only explanation - that is why so many chains have proliferated and prospered.

Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/25 19:23:44 (permalink)
    nocarolina

I am sure that NYPizzaNut is correct that people who never were exposed to great pizza don't know what they are missing and so head, lemming-like, to what they know best, the chains.  I have also been puzzled by the number of chain Italian places in the Buffalo area when there are so many good local places.   We even have that great pretender for chicken wings, Quaker Steak and Lube.  (Now if someone really likes that place, please be aware that I have not been to it because there are too many other choices here: Duff's, Anchor Bar, Mazia's, Roman Cafe, ....  Maybe I am panning it unfairly.)

I suspect every place in the country can make a similar claim about chains.  Even New Haven, CT must have some Pizza Huts - excuse me, Huts.   (I think we kidded about that in a deleted chain recently.) Fortunately I was guided properly by Roadfooders on my trips to CT and so never went to the accursed places.
    kirstine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/25 19:43:48 (permalink)
    I had never been to Pizza Hut until earlier this year when I got sent a couple of 50% off vouchers, not one to turn down a cheap meal off we went. First time we went to go use the voucher we got told at the door they had run out of dough and we should come back 30 minutes later and they should be able to take us, went back 30 minutes later and they told us they were only serving non pizza items. We left it and went back the next night and actually got a table and were able to order pizza, but whilst we were finishing up our meal we watched as the waitresses informed customers who were seated they had run out of pizza dough, some of these people already had their appetizers and were waiting for their mains, luckily they got all their drinks and meals they did have free but should that really be happening in a restaurant??  The food was fine but it certainly didn't compete with a proper pizza from an Italian restaurant but I wasn't gonna complain when I was getting soft drinks, an appetizer, large pizza and dessert for £12.

We were in another branch a while later as we had another voucher to use and I ordered a chocolate cake dessert and surprise surprise they had ran out, the waitress brought us out a cookie dough dessert instead for no charge.

So from my two visits they just seemed unreliable and the food is expensive when you are having to pay full price.  A name change isn't gonna correct things, they need to look at their prices and how things are being run, a pizza restaurant shouldn't be running out of it's main ingredient on a regular basis.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/25 20:27:31 (permalink)
    kirstinem1

I had never been to Pizza Hut until earlier this year when I got sent a couple of 50% off vouchers, not one to turn down a cheap meal off we went. First time we went to go use the voucher we got told at the door they had run out of dough and we should come back 30 minutes later and they should be able to take us, went back 30 minutes later and they told us they were only serving non pizza items. We left it and went back the next night and actually got a table and were able to order pizza, but whilst we were finishing up our meal we watched as the waitresses informed customers who were seated they had run out of pizza dough, some of these people already had their appetizers and were waiting for their mains, luckily they got all their drinks and meals they did have free but should that really be happening in a restaurant??  The food was fine but it certainly didn't compete with a proper pizza from an Italian restaurant but I wasn't gonna complain when I was getting soft drinks, an appetizer, large pizza and dessert for £12.

We were in another branch a while later as we had another voucher to use and I ordered a chocolate cake dessert and surprise surprise they had ran out, the waitress brought us out a cookie dough dessert instead for no charge.

So from my two visits they just seemed unreliable and the food is expensive when you are having to pay full price.  A name change isn't gonna correct things, they need to look at their prices and how things are being run, a pizza restaurant shouldn't be running out of it's main ingredient on a regular basis.
    Incompetence personified.

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/25 20:34:55 (permalink)
    kirstinem1, your Pizza Hut experience is just incredible. What kind of brainless, incompetent idiot of a manager would allow something like this to happen? Not once, but two nights in a row. There are so many people working in the food service industry, especially in management, that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a restaurant, except as a paying customer.
    FlippyTheRed
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/25 21:26:41 (permalink)
    Food Hut
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:PIZZA (?) Hut !!! 2009/06/26 10:44:53 (permalink)
    Incredible lack of competence by the manager.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1