chickiechick007

• Total Posts: 12
PIZZA Tue, 08/12/03 7:36 AM (permalink)

JOHN'S PIZZA ---NEW YORK CITY---
THE VERY BEST OF PIZZA !!!!!

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: PIZZA Tue, 08/12/03 9:37 AM (permalink)
    Moderators: Why a new thread? We already have a thread about favorite pizza places. I know that one goal of the moderators is to "clean up" the site-not just in content, but also in repetitive topics.

Michael Stern

RE: PIZZA Tue, 08/12/03 9:47 AM (permalink)
      Chickiechick, here you go. Want a root beer with that?

Biscuit

• Total Posts: 73
        RE: PIZZA Tue, 08/12/03 11:06 AM (permalink)
        Man, that looks good.....going to NYC in October, I've got a list of places to try thanks to this forum

chickiechick007

• Total Posts: 12
          RE: PIZZA Tue, 08/12/03 11:42 AM (permalink)

Another great PIZZA place is PATSY'S PIZZA in Brooklyn New York. Historically located under the Brooklyn Bridge. It has the very best brick oven PIZZA in Brooklyn. All ingredients are market fresh and good. If you love a great brick oven PIZZA look for PATSY'S.

Hi Cheese-Wit

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
            RE: PIZZA Tue, 08/12/03 4:37 PM (permalink)
            I agree with Patsy's, they are great, but I am not around downtown Brooklyn that often.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
              RE: PIZZA Mon, 08/25/03 1:11 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by chickiechick007

Another great PIZZA place is PATSY'S PIZZA in Brooklyn New York. Historically located under the Brooklyn Bridge. It has the very best brick oven PIZZA in Brooklyn. All ingredients are market fresh and good. If you love a great brick oven PIZZA look for PATSY'S.

Hi Cheese-Wit

I believe that the name of this "Patsy's" is now "Grimaldi's", rated the best in New York by Zagat. I had a pizza there Saturday, and the menu chronicles the history, including litigation and the change of name of this particular location from Patsy's (on Cadman between Water and Front streets). Great pizza cooked in coal fired ovens, but in spite of Zagat's ranking, Patsy's on University and 11th near Union Square is my favorite New York pizza. Ray's is a distant 3rd behind these.

BUT--my favorite pizza anywhere is still HIDEAWAY on Western off 63rd in Oklahoma City, with the Open Kitchen in Charlotte 2nd.

peppertree

RE: PIZZA Thu, 08/28/03 3:54 PM (permalink)
                Hideaway: I can not believe that I went to Abraham's Onion Burgers at 51st and Western and passed right by what you say is the best of the best pizza. Well I plan to be in OKC in October, and I will pay them a visit and see if your taste is similar to mine.

peppertree

RE: PIZZA Mon, 09/8/03 3:56 PM (permalink)
                  BUT--my favorite pizza anywhere is still HIDEAWAY on Western off 63rd in Oklahoma City, with the [i .

I am going to see if you know your pizza next month. I will take my Brooklyn mouth to Hideaway, based solely on your post and I will see. Do you know your pizza? You will hear from me either way.

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                    RE: PIZZA Sat, 09/13/03 11:40 PM (permalink)
                    Hillbilly,

I ate at the Open Kitchen about 30 years ago. Didn't have the pizza though. It was a business dinner. Now I'll have to go back.

Hillbilly

RE: PIZZA Mon, 09/15/03 12:35 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by signman

Hillbilly,

I ate at the Open Kitchen about 30 years ago. Didn't have the pizza though. It was a business dinner. Now I'll have to go back.

I haven't been there in more than 5 years myself, and although George and Steve are gone now, I can't imagine that they would change that old institution. I loved their lasagna, manicoti and greek salad, too.
                      Incidentally, a frequent guest there was Al McGuire, former Marquette coach and tv basketball commentator. He often mentioned his love for Open Kitchen pizza on the air. His first coaching job was at Belmont Abbey, a small school 15 miles west of Charlotte, before he went to Marquette.

peppertree

RE: PIZZA Thu, 10/23/03 6:11 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:

Hi Cheese-Wit

I believe that the name of this "Patsy's" is now "Grimaldi's", rated the best in New York by Zagat. I had a pizza there Saturday, and the menu chronicles the history, including litigation and the change of name of this particular location from Patsy's (on Cadman between Water and Front streets). Great pizza cooked in coal fired ovens, but in spite of Zagat's ranking, Patsy's on University and 11th near Union Square is my favorite New York pizza. Ray's is a distant 3rd behind these.

BUT--my favorite pizza anywhere is still HIDEAWAY on Western off 63rd in Oklahoma City, with the Open Kitchen in Charlotte 2nd.

"Different Tastes"..."Not Impressed."

I tried Hideaway Pizza on Tuesday night at 63rd and Western in Oklahoma City.

Quality ingrediants were used but the blend was not there. They did not go together at all. At least not to me, who knows what pizza SHOULD taste like.
                        There was too much sauce adn too much cheese on each slice. The cheese kept falling off the slice. The ingrediants did not mix well for a good taste. On the pizza, each of the ingrediants vied for control and did not go well together. Instead of a well tuned "concert" on the slice, I tasted a jazz band with each piece of the band trying to show up the others.

Now how can you call this the best of the best. It beats Domino's but what kind of comparison is that? How can you like this more than pizza at the great NYC pizzarias? I guess you have your taste, but I must warn other readers that you should not have high expectations before trying Hideaway pizza (at one of its four OKC locations).

From now on I will stick to Onion Burgers when I am in OKC. I had some of them too at burger places and they were great.

peppertree

RE: PIZZA Thu, 10/23/03 6:21 PM (permalink)
                          Also visited Brothers Pizza in Dallas on the way home. I had Spaghetti with meat balls and meat sauce and it was good old country Italian. I bought two pizzas to take home to Austin. I had two slices while I was there and they were fine. The crust was slightly too thick but not by much. I liked my pizza and will enjoy the reheated slices as much as I can enjoy a reheated slice.

Brothers is on Montfort near the Dallas Tollway and I-635.

Hillbilly

RE: PIZZA Fri, 10/24/03 4:13 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by peppertree

quote:
                            Originally posted by Hillbilly

quote:

Hi Cheese-Wit

"Different Tastes"..."Not Impressed."

I tried Hideaway Pizza on Tuesday night at 63rd and Western in Oklahoma City.

Quality ingrediants were used but the blend was not there. They did not go together at all. At least not to me, who knows what pizza SHOULD taste like.
                            There was too much sauce adn too much cheese on each slice. The cheese kept falling off the slice. The ingrediants did not mix well for a good taste. On the pizza, each of the ingrediants vied for control and did not go well together. Instead of a well tuned "concert" on the slice, I tasted a jazz band with each piece of the band trying to show up the others.

Now how can you call this the best of the best. It beats Domino's but what kind of comparison is that? How can you like this more than pizza at the great NYC pizzarias? I guess you have your taste, but I must warn other readers that you should not have high expectations before trying Hideaway pizza (at one of its four OKC locations).

From now on I will stick to Onion Burgers when I am in OKC. I had some of them too at burger places and they were great.

Oh well. Different strokes for different folks. Hideaway is still my favorite.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                              RE: PIZZA Wed, 05/11/05 9:10 PM (permalink)
                              Didn't know where else to put this so am putting it here. I went to a pizza place today in South side of Charlotte, called Zepeddie's. When I got inside and saw they offered stromboli's and calzones I ordered one each and skippped the pizza. They have an excellent menu, and the food was just phenomenal. It's just off Exit 6 on I-77. Stand alone establishment, their menu says they were voted Best Pizza in some regional magazine and I would agree with that if the pizzas were as good as the stromboli and calzone I had.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com