PLanning a trip to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Where to eat

Author
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2458
2012/09/15 13:14:32 (permalink)

PLanning a trip to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Where to eat

WE are at the beginning stages of planning our next family trip. After getting final approval from Mollie, our 11 yr old, going on 21 yr old granddaughter. The places on this trip will include Chicago, New York City, Philadelphia ( with the Godfathers permission ) and Washington DC. We will be training to Chicago, flying to NYC, training to Philly and washington DC.
2 full days Chicago
2 1/2 days in NYC
1 1/2 days Philly
3 1/2 days Washington DC
Mollie and Joyce are both spoiled now, their favorite steak house ( Peter Lugers) happens to be 3000 miles from our home in NYC. While we are in NYC, we will be seeing the Musical " The Lion King"  Other then that its wide open. I would like to get some ideas of Restaurants and things I should not miss in these areas. I would like to hook up with Joe " Joerogo" in Philly, and Tom  "Chewingthefat" in Maryland.................Thanks in advance for the help.............Bill

7 Replies Related Threads

nixienox
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re:PLanning a trip to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Where to eat 2012/09/15 16:15:17 (permalink)
    Since you know the way to Brooklyn, Smorgasburg http://www.brooklynflea.com/smorgasburg/ would be fun for all, that is if you are arriving before mid November. Also kid tested, we like Pies and Thighs and Brooklyn Bowl in Willamsburg. My kids love Soho and the East Village for the shopping and food, (heads up if Mollie likes little anime collectibles). Veselka's, Lil' Frankies, Clinton Street Baking, Amy's Bread, Kee's chocolates, Balthazar, Blue Ribbon Sushi, Blue Smoke (not in the EV or Soho, though the last time we went the service was off, hopefully not a sign of decline) Bread Tribeca, these are all places we've taken the kids.

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4544
    Re:PLanning a trip to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Where to eat 2012/09/15 16:56:35 (permalink)
    Hey Chef,

We'll see if we can get Chewy to stop pulling his pork long enough for a meet up

The one recommendation I will give you is Filomena Ristorante in Georgetown.  

That's a 20 ounce bone in veal chop parmesan, pounded thin.  Plus Tony Bad used to work there.  I think he was in charge of collections.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:PLanning a trip to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Where to eat 2012/09/15 18:41:43 (permalink)
    Since you're a Roadfood Veteran, I'm sure you've already started researching all the various posts on here since all these cities have been well documented. I find the "Find Authentic Regional Eats" function on the RF homepage to be very useful. It will give you 26 reviews of places in each city area actually visited and written up and approved by Roadfooders. Saves a lot of time rather than using the individual search function. I've also found Tony Bad's idea very useful using Google and typing in "Site:roadfood.com and then a space and a word like Chicago and it will bring up all posts related to that word on roadfood.
    All you Roadfooders---Let's try to give him some places that haven't been posted on here as yet.
    Happy hunting!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/09/15 18:54:19
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    Re:PLanning a trip to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Where to eat 2012/09/15 19:02:55 (permalink)
    I would think a trip to the Vienna Beef Factory in Chicago would be in order since Molly is such a "Dog Lover". I'm sure our own "Dean/Professor of Hot Dog University", Mark Rietman, could arrange a VIP tour for Molly.
    BYOK  -  Bring Your Own Ketchup!!!!!!!
    post edited by Foodbme - 2012/09/15 19:06:53
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 386
    Re:PLanning a trip to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Where to eat 2012/09/15 20:04:35 (permalink)
    For Philadelphia, John's Roast Pork or Tony Luke's. ( http://www.roadfood.com/R...roast-pork   http://www.roadfood.com/R...erview/1232/tony-lukes )

I'd also recommend either the Reading Terminal Market or the 9th Street Italian Market.

pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:PLanning a trip to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Where to eat 2012/09/15 21:42:27 (permalink)
    nixienox: Thanks for all the Restaurant picks in NYC, I'll show them to the Gals.
    joerogo: Joe, how many people ate the veal chop ???????? the menu looks great. I own you and the family a nice Italian meal, you pick the restaurant, I'll pick the wine. If Chewy Isn't pulling his pork, he will be sitting on his pork butt.
    Foodbme: Great idea on the Vienna Hot dog Tour, Mollie is the king of dogs. I don't want Mollie going head to head with Mark over ketchup, Mark has his PHD mollie is only in 5th grade.
    phlmaestro: What is your take on Tommy DiNic's in Reading Market. I hope these places open early, this sounds like breakfast........thanks for the help

stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:PLanning a trip to Chicago, NYC, Philly, Washington DC, Where to eat 2012/09/25 01:19:54 (permalink)
    joerogo

Hey Chef,

We'll see if we can get Chewy to stop pulling his pork long enough for a meet up

The one recommendation I will give you is Filomena Ristorante in Georgetown.  

That's a 20 ounce bone in veal chop parmesan, pounded thin.  Plus Tony Bad used to work there.  I think he was in charge of collections.
    Well....BONGIORNO!!!!!

I would think a trip to the Vienna Beef Factory in Chicago would be in order since Molly is such a "Dog Lover". I'm sure our own "Dean/Professor of Hot Dog University", Mark Rietman, could arrange a VIP tour for Molly.
    Reitman. And yes, he would love to see you.
    BYOK  -  Bring Your Own Ketchup!!!!!!!
    Do it & sleep with the fishes. " />

Have a great time on your trip!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1