~ POS 101

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
2013/02/05 09:12:41 (permalink)

~ POS 101

Looks like I've just been deputized to scout out a new POS system for the VFW.

Currently the newest, push-button cash register is at the main bar ... and progressively older ones at the banquet bar and the special events room.

We just got a quote for three touch screens connected to a computer in the office, cash drawers and printers ... for $15,000.

All we are trying to do is keep track of beers by brand/size, 'call' liquors, sodas, snacks and maybe someday simple food if we expand into the kitchen.

I haven't even looked at anything (such as Costco) ... I'm not bad with computers I'm certain I could learn to program one.

Help ???

Anyone have any wisdom to offer ???

8 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:~ POS 101 2013/02/05 09:38:19 (permalink)
    Does each station usually have its own computer ... or are there some kinds of terminals that are used ???

Is there a web resource where you can cobble a system and get a quote without giving them your phone number and contact info.  Too soon to be fending off salespeople.

qwertydvorak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:~ POS 101 2013/02/05 20:29:08 (permalink)
    Look into Business Plus Accounting POS.  It is one of the cheapest.  It runs on hardware up to 10 years old just fine, and if you own the pc's or can get donated pc's you can just buy the software.  For a single stand alone computer it is like $35.  But if you have multiple pc's the networked version is something like $400 per computer for the initial license, and $35 per month in fees.  If you do have multiple stations and don't mind running each register separately then you could probably get away with just paying the $35 per machine.  The network features are nice though, it will keep track of sales, inventory, employee time and payroll.  I set a friend's restaurant up with it when they opened and there were few problems.  Only major thing they ran into was after they were open for 4 years, the server started getting slow because the database was getting too large for the amount of ram in the server pc (it only had 512MB ram). 
    qwertydvorak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:~ POS 101 2013/02/05 20:32:41 (permalink)
    Addendum to above:  Mouse and keyboard work fine if you don't want to spend $400 on a touchscreen monitor.  You can also buy all in one pc's that have touchscreens nowadays for not much more than you would spend on just the POS monitor.  POS monitors are a scam.  Touchscreens are DIRT CHEAP nowadays yet they still want $400 for a 14 inch 1024x768 POS touchscreen.
    ReaganL
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Flagged as Spam (1)
    Re:~ POS 101 2013/09/20 16:53:09 (permalink)
    Many individuals who are selling things door-to-door are completely honest and have a tough job. However, not all are, and some want to do more than just to get you hopelessly addicted to infernally scrumptious cookies. A number of door-to-door cons are being reported nationwide, so the amount of them active in many areas might be growing. Some people end up needing to get by until the month is over after a scam.
    post edited by ReaganL - 2013/09/20 16:54:49
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2118
    Re:~ POS 101 2013/09/20 19:00:17 (permalink)
    Take a look at Dale Harris' POS    .... https://www.facebook.com/dhpos   .... The program download page is http://www.keyhut.com/pos3.htm   
    The program is free and there is a restaurant version.   It has been a while since I looked.    I've tested it several years ago, it is easy to install and setup the inventory.   It is just a matter of computer, cash drawer, receipts printer.

***edit:  I fixed 1st link. It is an alias through Google. 
    post edited by edwmax - 2013/09/23 06:20:09
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    Re:~ POS 101 2013/09/23 00:50:25 (permalink)
    I went with Revel and love it. Although I have nothing but great things to say about them I have absolutely no gibberish to add like our new friend Regan

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2118
    Re:~ POS 101 2013/09/23 08:33:05 (permalink)
    wheregreggeats.com

Does each station usually have its own computer ... or are there some kinds of terminals that are used ???

Is there a web resource where you can cobble a system and get a quote without giving them your phone number and contact info.  Too soon to be fending off salespeople.

What equipment do you have and what do you want as end result?
    From your opening post, it appears the number of sale items (inventory items) is small.  

I assume the current cash registers do print out closing reports.  If so this should  be easy to  input this into a spread sht for daily/monthly sales report, taxes, and inventory control.  ...examples of low cost cash registers that have been available for the past 30 years. (current from Office Depot)
    • Sharps XE-A104: $100;  ... 8 sales dept
    • sharps XE-A207: $250:  ... can be networked (?) for computer backup & reports; 99 sales dept
    • Sharps XE-A507: $400: same as above, but w/ barcode scanner (setup scan codes in a item reference list at the register for quick entry)
    A networked POS system will allow for instant tracking of sales during the day, updating of inventory, and make back office closing reports quicker.   In your case, I think the time savings is less than an hour ... if any savings.   So I don't see spending $15K for a system practical.      ... But with older computers (free from members) or low cost laptops and a free POS some accounting and reporting could be simplified.

I would setup a computer (laptop) with a free POS to learn how the program operates and what is needed for closing sales, taxes, and inventory reports.   A training mode can be used to train clerks to use.   Then use the system for a few days/nights at one of the register stations.   ....    Now you should be able to determine if a more specialized POS system & equipment is needed or justified.

More links to the Dale Harris POS:
    user guide: http://dhpos.com/posmenu.htm
    restaurant setup: http://dhpos.com/postip8a.htm#rest

I think Dale's POS will have all the features that you would want.   but I'm not sure about touch screen capabilities.

daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:~ POS 101 2013/09/24 00:38:39 (permalink)
    the thing you need to look for are back office that tracks sales and inventory and is it compatible with your bookkeeping system.you can get systems like square for free and is very popular i have and like,and there are many others that are a LOT cheaper than 15k.
    you can put together  a system for under 3k most of that is for hardware.you really only need 1 gig memory or less and a 60 gig hard drive to make them work,most of use or you members have an old one in the closet.and some software.look on eBay under pos. just make sure it has a new ticket. 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1