Author
hella good tacos
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
2014/03/06 23:51:17 (permalink)

POS systems

Again, NOT A FOOD TRUCK THREAD

I am 3 days into our new diner.

We currently have an old style register and i am VERY unhappy with how people are ringing in tickets.

Looking for a POS system that will allow multiple users to ring in tickets under their own individual id's.

I need only one server station with Credit cards and receipt printer and one kitchen printer.

anybody have any suggestions?

I am fairly tech capable and willing to self install something on ipad or via linux on a computer.

I am trying to minimize cost and would like to avoid costly monthly fees.

Unfortunately i am finding square is not going to be able to keep up with me in this environment 

14 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10082
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/07 01:19:57 (permalink)
    POS Equipment Superstore- Give them a call and tell them what you want your POS System to do for you & they'll fix you up
    http://www.posworld.com
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2063
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/07 09:24:51 (permalink)
    Since you are tech savvy, you could try this out until you know exactly what you want and need in a POS.   The program is full features & FREE. 
    http://keyhut.com/pos.htm

Look at http://keyhut.com/postip8a.htm#rest for info to setup the program for use in a restaurant.
    post edited by edwmax - 2014/03/07 09:53:25
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/08 06:38:03 (permalink)
    You say you are "very unhappy with the way people are ringing in the tickets" is it the servers or the system? whats wrong?
    post edited by Buck & Vi's - 2014/03/08 06:39:24
    JayL
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/08 23:48:00 (permalink)
    You have multiple people ringing in tickets on a manual register with no way to track users? 

Recipe for disaster.

Either get a POS or have ONE person responsible for ringing ALL tickets. 

If you are a small place (or even a mid-sized one), I believe there are some Ipad/pod based POS apps available.  I've seen some, but I'm not experienced with them. 
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/09 06:02:13 (permalink)
    Buck & Vi's

You say you are "very unhappy with the way people are ringing in the tickets" is it the servers or the system? whats wrong?

The problem is too many people touching the register with no accountability.  I have already addressed this by eliminating all servers from touch the register and assigning myself, my wife, or our daughter as the ONLY person to close checks. Essentially i have asked them to leave the checks at the table with the prices on them so whomever rings can know what was charged and then we staple the closed receipt to the ticket for review at the end of the day.
    A POS system will help us with making each person accountable for their own cash and eliminating people not charging the correct prices for food.
    Foodbme

POS Equipment Superstore- Give them a call and tell them what you want your POS System to do for you & they'll fix you up
    http://www.posworld.com

Thanks i looked at their website and will give them a  call monday
    edwmax

Since you are tech savvy, you could try this out until you know exactly what you want and need in a POS.   The program is full features & FREE. 

Look at http://keyhut.com/postip8a.htm#rest for info to setup the program for use in a restaurant.

If it were just me and my kids i'd be happy to use a dos program.  I have used them in other fields like financial fields.  my problem is i need something with a simple GUI like a touch screen with each server having their own number to login that keeps them accountable.
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/09 06:07:00 (permalink)
    JayL

You have multiple people ringing in tickets on a manual register with no way to track users? 

Recipe for disaster.

Either get a POS or have ONE person responsible for ringing ALL tickets. 

If you are a small place (or even a mid-sized one), I believe there are some Ipad/pod based POS apps available.  I've seen some, but I'm not experienced with them. 

Yes. i put an end to this immediately.  Me, my wife or my daughter are the only people touching the register. 

previously, They were closing out the checks at the register before they delivered them  to the customer.  We have had a few days with this new system and there have been a few bumps- people sitting around waiting because the server forgot to drop the check or people insisiting on getting the receipt first "like they always have."  But, it is definitely working and we are definitely happier.

I want a pos system to track  sales of items and to make servers accountable for what they sell. I also want to get them on a system where they carry their own bank and cash out at the end of the day.  I am just trying to find something we can afford and that fits our needs.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2063
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/09 09:29:08 (permalink)
    hella good tacos

edwmax

If it were just me and my kids i'd be happy to use a dos program.  I have used them in other fields like financial fields.  my problem is i need something with a simple GUI like a touch screen with each server having their own number to login that keeps them accountable.

This is a DOS program running in a windows shell. The window can be minimized to access windows desk top & other programs.  No different than other windows programs.     ... It can be setup so each server or cashier must enter his ID to enter or close a ticket.   But with multiple users and one POS, you have no way of tracking till shortage.   ... However, you can set up a system just for the server to enter and print tickets for kitchen & the customer and a separate closing registrar.  Then only one person close tickets and collect money.

You are right the POS does not have a touch screen setup (I have to check this more).  You could set up a register menu with bar codes.    Then enter items with a small hand scanner and minimum or no touching of the keyboard.  AND, by the way there are keyboards that are spill proof and have a solid top surface.

Puddlejumper06
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/09 18:13:37 (permalink)
    First, you have made a very wise decision to bring in more cash accountability. Cash accountability is still achievable with old cash registers, it does take more over sight on management to accomplish, but it is doable. I was a Loss Prevention officer for a drug chain for years.

I have been looking at POS Lavu for an iPad pos driven system. You can use iPods and iPhones to place orders, ring transactions on an iPad. Very reasonably priced too, IMO. I admit I am partial to Apple products. They seem to have fewer hardware and software issues. Not perfect, but do seem to be better quality. Quickbooks for Macs is an issue here, so may need a second PC anyway for Quickbooks, if that is what you use. Worth checking out anyway.

There is also Point of Success for Windows PC's I have read good comments on.  
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/10 15:01:12 (permalink)
    I run with Revel POS and am very happy.  iPad based POS with as many counter and kitchen printers as you wish, register, stand, built in gateway for CC processing, can do Kitchen Display Systems (KDS), etc.  Wasn't the cheapest thing but well worth it.  Full functioning reporting via fully updated web interface, built in inventory, record keeping, all that jazz...I have plenty of friends who run POS Lavu and it's come along way, but Revel is by far much, much better
    splashinfotech
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/13 07:31:58 (permalink)
    Not sure if you have got the solution to your requirement, however there are many ready to use POS software available in the market for restaurants. There are even companies that can create customized POS software for you, based on your specification and budget... You can get more details on Restaurant POS System on the below link.. Check out.. 

Cathy
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/15 22:15:14 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of your input.

I narrowed down my choices to revel and ambur.

I think we are going to roll with Ambur as there are fewer fees and similar platforms.

they both have everything we need and want in terms of accountability and stock management.

thanks a ton ALL of this was useful info.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10082
    Re:POS systems 2014/03/17 22:08:43 (permalink)
    splashinfotech
    Not sure if you have got the solution to your requirement, however there are many ready to use POS software available in the market for restaurants. There are even companies that can create customized POS software for you, based on your specification and budget... You can get more details on Restaurant POS System on the below link.. Check out.. 
    Cathy

Cathy - FYI,
    Since you're a Newbee, you won't be able to post links & Websites etc. For a while. After you've made some legitimate posts, you'll be able to add them. This is done to limit scammers.
    Anyway, Welcome to Roadfood.
    Read this: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Rules-of-Conduct-PLEASE-READ-m69391.aspx

post edited by Foodbme - 2014/03/17 22:14:45
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    Re:POS systems 2014/04/01 12:27:15 (permalink)
    Update:

haven't purchased anything yet.

Just got a call from a rep that offered to sell us a system with Leaf.

I am going to hear him out before i make a final decision, but my head is leaning towards ambur at this point.

No service fees. Credit card processing fees are comparable to what i pay with square.  

now i just need to see where the money is going to come from 
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:POS systems 2014/04/03 00:39:45 (permalink)
    How is ambur with updates for their software and service/troubleshooting?  I know the monthly fee is a pain but the constant updates and super quick troubleshooting goes a long, long way.  And POS systems are known to be a fickle (goes for them all-Aloha, Micros, POS Lavu, Revel, etc.).  I chose Revel because they have great service, updates are swift and often and they have their integrated merchant service through Mercury and they do the same 2.75% as square and the others.  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1