PULLED PORK SANDWICHES

Author
MEATMURDERER04
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2004/07/12 01:36:54 (permalink)

PULLED PORK SANDWICHES

Hey there Roadfooders! First post here, so bear with me.

I recently had a terrible "Pulled Pork" sandwich from Wawa. Now, I grew up far from the urban jungle that is Philadelphia, deep in the golden, gravy-flowing hills of Western Virginia, and I'm used to only the finest hogs and pork-pulling methodology that area provides. Point in case, I'm looking for the most delicious fat pork mongrel of a pulled sandwich this side of the Mississippi. Whose got the best pulled-pork on the East coast?

-MeatMurderer

12 Replies Related Threads

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 07:54:54 (permalink)
    Welcome! But what is Wawa?
    i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 08:02:28 (permalink)

http://www.wawa.com/
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 09:04:48 (permalink)
    Don's Famous BBQ just off I-95 in Pooler , Georgia has a really good "Lexington style" pulled pork sandwich - right up there with the best.
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 09:23:23 (permalink)
    There are a lot of great places mentioned on these threads. One that I've not seen mentioned previously is on Rt.460 in Waverly, VA. "Cowlings Barbeque" is the real thing. They smoke the pork in a separate building out back using Hickory and oak wood, and when they bring in the hunks of meat, you can choose pulled or chopped and they do it right there on a chopping block behind the counter if you care to watch, before it's brought to your table. They make their own barbeque sauce which you can add at the table, but the meat is served sauce-less and I think it tastes great just like that. It's a little off the beaten path, but if you're headed to the Outer Banks from points north, it's not a bad detour to get there.

Frank
    Cosmos
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 10:43:22 (permalink)
    Anybody guess who I recommend? That's right kids...the Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, Rochester and coming soon to Harlem, NY (www.dinosaurbarbque.com).

Always juicey, and tastey with their slathering sauce. I usually have a pork carolina with their tastey cole slaw.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 11:11:55 (permalink)
    If you're talking pulled pork Lexington-style, then it must be Lexington Barbecue, in Lexington, NC (drove past there yesterday, but they were closed). Stamey's, in Geensboro, NC (review on this site), is another. Not to be confused with chopped pork, of eastern NC. And Wawa is the same as 7-11 and all the other convenience stores. The only good thing they have is Hostess cherry pies.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 11:31:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MEATMURDERER04

I recently had a terrible "Pulled Pork" sandwich from Wawa. Now, I grew up far from the urban jungle that is Philadelphia, deep in the golden, gravy-flowing hills of Western Virginia, and I'm used to only the finest hogs and pork-pulling methodology that area provides. Point in case, I'm looking for the most delicious fat pork mongrel of a pulled sandwich this side of the Mississippi. Whose got the best pulled-pork on the East coast?

I am not sure from your message as to where you are located now. Where are you now?

John
    -MeatMurderer
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 11:34:05 (permalink)
    Sorry that last response did not come through correctly.

Where are you located now? I was not sure from your message.

John
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 12:42:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

If you're talking pulled pork Lexington-style, then it must be Lexington Barbecue, in Lexington, NC (drove past there yesterday, but they were closed). Stamey's, in Geensboro, NC (review on this site), is another. Not to be confused with chopped pork, of eastern NC.

Wayne Monk always closes Lexington # 1 on Sundays.

I like to think of at Corky's (the Memphis based chain with a location in Cary, NC) as "pulled pork", the Lexington style (all pork shoulder) as "chopped" and the eastern NC style (whole hog) as "minced" because it is chopped so fine. True pulled pork is just like the strings of meat you peel off the carcas at an "off the pit" pig picking.

Corky's chain locations are inconsistent (I got some terrible Q at the Jackson, Mississippi location), but when it is good, it is REALLY good. But nothing compares with Lexington # 1 or Bridges in Shelby, NC.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 13:45:17 (permalink)
    What on earth possessed you to get BBQ at WaWa?
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 14:15:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Kristi S.

What on earth possessed you to get BBQ at WaWa?

As the sign says (at a service station/cafe combo north of Indianapolis):
    "EAT HERE AND GET GAS"
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13494
    RE: PULLED PORK SANDWICHES 2004/07/12 16:58:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MEATMURDERER04

Actually Wawa is more than a decent place to get gas and a convenience center. I have stopped at them many times west of Philadelphia. I do not think BBQ is one of their things but some of their sandwiches are pretty decent. Better than most convenience stops.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN

-MeatMurderer
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1