The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego

dunnandj

• Total Posts: 2
Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Tue, 03/23/10 5:58 PM (permalink)
My nephew and I are taking a great American Road trip at the end of May.  We're driving the Pacific Coast Highway south, from Santa Cruz to San Diego.
The Roadfood recommendations on the map available to insiders are kinda sparse over long stretches of that drive. 
I'd be interested in anyone's recommendations along that route.  As one of the most celebrated roads in America, I think your recommendations might help many others.
Thanks.

Ralph Melton

Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Tue, 03/23/10 6:32 PM (permalink)
    I am not an expert on this drive, but I've had one great meal on that route.

Several years ago, we took a drive down that highway from Santa Cruz to Monterey, to go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. (We made it there just in time to feed the sea otters.)

Afterwards, we ate at Archie's American Diner. (Google tells me the address is 125 Ocean View Boulevard, Pacific Grove, CA 93950-3061)

The reviews Google finds seem mixed, so it may not be consistently as good as I remember it.
    <message edited by Ralph Melton on Tue, 03/23/10 6:33 PM>

dunnandj

Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Wed, 03/24/10 8:00 AM (permalink)
      Thanks for the feedback.
      I've been to Pittsburgh a few times.  Nice folks, like yourself.
      Go Steelers.

Foodosaurus

Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Wed, 03/24/10 8:28 AM (permalink)

The only time I made that drive was the summer before my 11th birthday.  But I think that was when I became a foodie.

I had the best New England Style Clam Chowder on the Wharf in Monterey.  I think the place was called Michael's, but a Google search came up with no results.  I can still picture the banner, "Award Winning New England Clam Chowder."

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Wed, 03/24/10 9:13 AM (permalink)
          Two places come to mind

The Orange Inn
          http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6625/orange-inn

In Laguna Beach. Written about in the pre website Sterns books.
          The Orange Inn has been around since the 1930's and is credited with serving one of the first California Smoothies. They also have really good Date Shakes too.

Juanitas Taco Shop

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6615/juanitas-taco-shop

In Encinitas (about 20 miles north of San Diego). Serves a very basic, but very good Fish Taco. There is a brief write up in the Stern's most recent 500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late book.

MiamiDon

Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Wed, 03/24/10 9:54 AM (permalink)
            I very much enjoyed my breakfast at the Harbor House Cafe in Sunset Beach on the PCH.  There is a second location in Dana Point on the PCH.

http://www.harborhousecafe.com/

Here is the Chorizo Breakfast Burrito:

cmac166

• Total Posts: 5
              Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Wed, 03/24/10 10:58 AM (permalink)
              I am not to sure about the northern part of your trip, but once you hit So. Cal. there are so many great restaurants it is hard to answer. Harbor house in Seal beach is great but I would stop at Scooner or Later in Long beach it is amazing, but if you go on the weekend get there early or you will not find a seat. If you are in the mood for Burgers hit TK Burger in Huntington beach, or if you can wait all the way to San Diego then Hodad's is the best burger you will ever have.

MiamiDon

Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Wed, 03/24/10 11:52 AM (permalink)
                I also enjoyed a chorizo omelet for breakfast at Woody's Diner in Seal Beach on the PCH.  Looking at their web site, I see that they have two other locations on the PCH, in Sunset Beach and Newport Beach.

http://www.woodysdiners.com/index.htm

jgw899

Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Thu, 03/25/10 10:11 PM (permalink)
                  I love my thai beach in capitola.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Thu, 03/25/10 10:27 PM (permalink)
                    In the middle of Castroville (just north of Montery) is the Central Texas BBQ We stop there ever time we are in the area and have yet to be disappointed.

I agree with the great Chowder on the pier in Montery.

In Laguna Beach, overlooking the Cove, is Las Briscas. Excellent Merxican Seafood...not cheap, but a very nice place.

More to be added later

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                      Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Fri, 03/26/10 4:22 AM (permalink)
                      www.nepenthebigsur.com/

the BEST view from any dining table in America---nd the foods good too/ A MUST SEE ON THIS ROAD!

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
                        Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Fri, 03/26/10 7:30 AM (permalink)
                        It's been a while since I've enjoyed that lovely drive,  but I don't recall many roadfood opps. south of Carmel. However, once you reach Santa Barbara you're in for a treat - La Super Rica Taqueria is outstanding. Take the Milpas Street exit, it's about dozen blocks on the right.

maxcriden

• Total Posts: 6
                          Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Sat, 03/27/10 8:35 PM (permalink)
                          I'll have to think about recommendations, but just as a side note, if you've never done the drive before, please be extra careful and very cautious--it can be a very dangerous and harrowing drive at times. You might already know this, but I thought I should mention it just in case. Have a great time and a safe trip!

cmac166

• Total Posts: 5
                            Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Mon, 03/29/10 12:27 PM (permalink)
                            I agree Las Brisas in laguna has the best views, but if you want the best food in Laguna head to Mozambique just up PCH. THe food is Amazing, it is all South African inspired and delicious. THey also have great happy hour deals and good live music.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7597
                              Re:Pacific Coast Highway San Francisco to San Diego Mon, 03/29/10 4:20 PM (permalink)
                              Jocko's Steakhouse
                              (805) 929-3686
                              125 N Thompson Ave, Nipomo, CA

Good Barbeque!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com