Packo's question for the Buckeyes

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5215
2008/10/23 19:34:54 (permalink)

Packo's question for the Buckeyes

JJJrfoodie was kind enough to send me a can of Tony Packo's Hot Dog Sauce - thanks, JJ!

According to the directions, to get "real Tony Packo's hot dogs" I need to brown the original Tony Packo's Hot Dog Sausage. Since I can't get the real deal here in Wisconsin, what would be a good approximation? All beef or a mixture of meats? Natural casing or skinless?

The Reds will be visiting Milwaukee for a weekend series at the end of May next year. Maybe I'll save the sauce and use it for tailgating...I wonder how it'd taste on a brat?

Brad

9 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18882
    RE: Packo's question for the Buckeyes 2008/10/23 19:54:51 (permalink)
    Don't worry about not having a Tony Packo's hotdog. The sauce tastes just fine on any hot dog. I don't happen to care that much for Tony Packo's hot dogs, so I use a Hebrew National most of the time. Mustard and chopped raw onions go on the hot dog, and then the sauce goes on top.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3752
    RE: Packo's question for the Buckeyes 2008/10/23 19:57:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Don't worry about not having a Tony Packo's hotdog. The sauce tastes just fine on any hot dog. I don't happen to care that much for Tony Packo's hot dogs, so I use a Hebrew National most of the time. Mustard and chopped raw onions go on the hot dog, and then the sauce goes on top.

raw onions? Yuck!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Packo's question for the Buckeyes 2008/10/23 20:03:30 (permalink)
    Packo's has been my favorite since the mid 70's. I like their sauce, hot dogs, relish and all the rest of their menu.

I have been to their original Toledo location many times. A real Roadfood place.

Any yes, I like raw onions.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Packo's question for the Buckeyes 2008/10/23 20:10:38 (permalink)
    You could make a Pizza with it like Vito's does.

*Tony Packo Pizza – made with Tony Packo's Hot Dog Sauce, sliced Tony Packo's Hungarian Sausage, cheddar & mozzarella cheeses, onions, and topped with mustard. Served with your choice of Tony Packo's Original Pickles and Peppers or Sweet Hots.

http://www.vitos.com/menu.htm

I will be making one next weekend...Russ

Or you could always order their products online.
    http://www.tonypackos.com/hotdog.php
    jjjrfoodie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 422
    RE: Packo's question for the Buckeyes 2008/10/23 20:28:52 (permalink)
    Wow that was fast postal work!

Eat the hotdog sauce now and enjoy.

I'll send ya another can or 2 if you like it and get a craving during the long winter or spring ...

jjjrfoodie

BTW for the rest of you all----Brad was treated to a big jar of Packo's Sweet Hots and the "mystery gift" of a can of Packo's chili for his pasta sauce contributions.

Also Brad, once the pickles are gone, I take the remaining juice, bring it to a boil briefly and then put it back into the cleaned/sterlized jar and add a bunch of peeled fresh pearl onions.
    Let it sit in the fridge for 3 to 6 months and you have sweet hot pickeled onions. YUM.
    A2Mich
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Packo's question for the Buckeyes 2008/10/24 23:26:44 (permalink)
    Believe it or not, I don't care for raw onion on much of anything, except hot dogs....Burgers? I'll pick off the onions in a second...on a hot dog or on chili? Oh yeah. Speaking of Tony Packo's, I actually haven't ever been there. I don't live too far from Toledo (north of the OH/MI border in Wolverine territory) Have heard they were really good....will have to make a trip there sometime...and also to Fricker's for those chicken wings........don't care for BW3 too much.
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: Packo's question for the Buckeyes 2008/11/09 02:50:33 (permalink)
    Brad, how far are you from a Festival Foods? I just picked up a can of Tony Packo's hot dog sauce in La Crosse, 2.99 for 7-1/2 ounce can. Did not see any other Packo products at all.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5215
    RE: Packo's question for the Buckeyes 2008/11/10 10:33:11 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip. The closest Festival is probably Oshkosh or Fond du Lac, which is about 90 minutes or so from my house in good weather. I'll be in Appleton at the end of January so maybe I'll check out the store there.

Although in a way I'd kind of prefer to not be able to find it so that it keeps its "not from around here" uniqueness.

Brad
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Packo's question for the Buckeyes 2008/11/26 04:25:35 (permalink)
    Thumbs up for raw onions, on just about anything.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1