Paint Stripping

Author
Curb Hopper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
2012/08/31 18:39:10 (permalink)

Paint Stripping

I've been searching the forum and haven't come up with much on paint stripping other than a random mention of it here and there (burried in the build threads).  I thought maybe having a thread of it's own might be helpful to future searchers.

I'm curious about personal experiences with stipping paint from an alumnium body, more specifically, soda blasting or media blasting.  I understand these methods work exceptionally well but I'd like to hear from others first hand experience.  How cost effective was it?  Pros and cons?

I've recently been quoted $2000 - $2500 (seems high) for soda blasting my Grumman Kurbmaster.  Thats $100/hr 20hrs + product and clean-up.

I was reading the build thread by BackAlleyBurger and he mentioned using an aircraft stripper, a power washer, and a lot of man hours.  So the question I'm presented with is witch route is best for me.

Also looking for professional advice on the posibility of keeping the aluminum "airstream" look rahter than painting or wrapping. 

16 Replies Related Threads

Ladycopa
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/08/31 23:52:47 (permalink)
    i used oven cleaner to get glue from vinyl lettering off and it took paint off too on my Grumman Olsen. Also google roll on Paintjob and check out what comes up.  Wraps can get xpnsv!
    post edited by Ladycopa - 2012/08/31 23:55:23
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2068
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/01 08:02:43 (permalink)
    There is no magic way of removing paint.   Your choice are sanding/wire wheel, blasting (powder, nut shell, sand), chemical, or hire some else to do it.  All of these takes a lot of time.

Oven cleaner is lye, ie, Red Devil lye.  I have no problem using lye over sections at a time and washing off AS SOON as the paint loosens.   Lye will damage aluminum if left on too long. Then repeat as required.

Me ... I'd just remove any loose paint, sand down (smooth) chipped edges and paint over the existing paint.  Once finished no one will give a darn about what's under the paint but you.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/01 12:19:11 (permalink)
    edwmax There is no magic way of removing paint.   Your choice are sanding/wire wheel, blasting (powder, nut shell, sand), chemical, or hire some else to do it.  All of these takes a lot of time.

Although the multi-tool (which went out of patent about 4 years ago and is now available all over) is particularly good for that sort of thing.

Bart
    Bistro a go-go
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 171
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/01 14:59:30 (permalink)
    yep, it sure looks kewl with a polished finish just like an airstream but problem is nature and how it effects alloys over time. it will get into a regular maintainance issue of polishing every few months to keep it looking good. another thing is after its media blasted it will have a frosted look and wont be shiny. thats a month of polishing in full days to get a shine back. too bad u cant get a red button to push like on the commercial, lol.
    do you have that much free time? id say paint it. maaco told me 700.00 with a clear coat or spent the 3K on a skin and be dont with it. it covers all...
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2068
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/01 16:38:07 (permalink)
    bartl

edwmax There is no magic way of removing paint.   Your choice are sanding/wire wheel, blasting (powder, nut shell, sand), chemical, or hire some else to do it.  All of these takes a lot of time.

Although the multi-tool (which went out of patent about 4 years ago and is now available all over) is particularly good for that sort of thing.

Bart

Not sure which 'multi-tool' you refer to, but they all take time.
    post edited by edwmax - 2012/09/01 19:08:00
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/01 16:41:31 (permalink)
    I have a friend in the sign business that is also a customer, and he and his dad are top notch at graphics, and any kind of signs.  They even do sign work for other sign companies.
    I have some polished aluminum blanks I was going to make signs out of. And I mentioned that I'm pretty good at buffing and if it would help make them look like a mirror. And they said don't bother because when you add the lettering that's all people will see. The back ground will just disappear. So I'm not sure unless you had a minimum amount of lettering a polished (airstream type) step van would be worth the effort.
    jack
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/09/02 13:28:44
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/01 20:17:35 (permalink)
    We used to own an unpainted aluminum skinned Eagle. To keep the shiny look you either have to keep it washed & waxed or clear coat the thing. You are thinking like the folks who want the "industrial/commercial" look of Stainless steel and then get upset at the reality (patina & scratches) of stainless steel! I would suggest a nice metallic paint with a clear coat. More options, less hassle.
    Curb Hopper
    Hamburger
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/02 01:19:51 (permalink)
    Great feedback guys.  Keep it coming!  If anyone has thoughts about this I want to hear them!

An industrial look is something I'm going for.  I'm pretty big on the "less is more" approach but I also need to stand out with it.  I am thinking minimal decals/logos.  The truck itself is pretty cool looking and I kinda want it to do MOST of the talking IF POSSIBLE.  I'm not set on anything!  I'm searching for that industrial look and I'm going after a retro feel (if that makes sense) so I think of the "airstream".

What other ways do you think I can replicate this?
    BTM676
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 202
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/02 13:05:28 (permalink)
    Ive just got done stripping my truck. I have some pictures of before and after photos of of the truck getting stripped on "YET ANOTHER FOOD TRUCK" thread. The name of the product I used was
    Por-Strip. Its about $45 a gallon and i used 3 gallons. It worked very well, very fast. What a time saver! It took a few coat but i stripped and power washed a whole side of my truck in under 3 hours. I bushed this stuff on. It does burn your skin but washes off with water. Wear really good gloves and long sleeves and your good to go.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/02 15:02:42 (permalink)
    An industrial look is something I'm going for.

What the hell is "An industrial look"? It's a truck that's about as  industrial as you can get.
    Curb Hopper
    Hamburger
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/02 16:49:32 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

An industrial look is something I'm going for.

What the hell is "An industrial look"? It's a truck that's about as  industrial as you can get.

Ask Lornaschinske, he was the one that suggested using the terminology to start with.

An "industrial" look is just that....Industrial/raw material.  I'm not a big fan of "poping" grafix or loud and obnoxious wraps.  If I do decide to go the wrap route it will be designed with a less is more attitude.

Oh, and Doc.  I've read alot of your post and have a great deal of respect for you but I have to say that I found your response in this piece to be less than useful and a bit eddgy.  Leading off with "What the hell..." doesn't seem the best way to communicate with someone who doesn't know you personally.  I'm not sensitive and my feeling won't be hurt by anyone in person or on the board....it's just an observation.

-Kevin
    post edited by Curb Hopper - 2012/09/02 16:53:33
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1269
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/03 00:07:42 (permalink)
    edwmax
    bartl

Not sure which 'multi-tool' you refer to, but they all take time.

But not as much. And you said "a LOT of time" (emphasis mine).

Bart
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/03 15:54:14 (permalink)
    Curb Hopper ...
    What the hell is "An industrial look"?
    Ask Lornaschinske, he was the one that suggested using the terminology to start with.

SHE suggested it! "industrial/commercial". I have a background in residential and commercial Kitchen & bath design. Lots of home owners want the "commercial" look of a commercial kitchen but don't realize what that means. They think stainless steel and natural stone is perfect and impervious to damage. Plus it will look pristine forever.
    BBQ Seeker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/03 19:22:22 (permalink)
    If money is no object hire someone to sand or soda blast the truck. Just be prepared to see those products escaping from crevasses for years. Commercial paint strippers are the way to go if you plan on doing this yourself. Just be prepared for a complete mess. I've done a few cars this way and while messy it does a good job. You need access to copious amounts of water!
    Curb Hopper
    Hamburger
    Re:Paint Strippinh 2012/09/03 22:02:37 (permalink)
    Lorna, sorry. I didn't even realize your road food name is also your actual name. Haha It's hard for me to imagine what it must be like designing kitchens for the public. I probably look at them (kitchens) so differently after working in and around them for 15+ years. I'm sure the idea and expectations are pretty much night and day. You should sneak a few cans of stainless polish under the counter when the builds are complete!
    Curb Hopper
    Hamburger
    Re:Paint Stripping 2012/09/03 22:11:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Bbq Seeker. It's not that money is no object but I am budgeting enough money to have the truck look like something special. I mean, you know...it is kinda special. I'm a very firm believer in presentation and how the eye effects the brain. People eat with all of their senses, as you know.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1