The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Panera Bread

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31
Author Message
anselmo1

  • Total Posts: 126
  • Joined: 2/1/2004
  • Location: Amherst, NY
Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 6:20 PM (permalink)
I recently read that Panera Bread Company is opening up three locations in the Western New York area. My question is, "how good is their bread"? I would also like to know about their sandwiches, salads and soups etc. Can anyone fill me in?
 
#1
    wheregreggeats.com

    RE: Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 6:29 PM (permalink)
    If you like chains, I suspect Panera will be right up your alley.
     
    #2
      Michael Hoffman

      • Total Posts: 17795
      • Joined: 7/1/2000
      • Location: Gahanna, OH
      RE: Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 6:35 PM (permalink)
      I buy three things from Panera -- their asiago cheese bread, the sun-dried tomato bread and the rosemary and onion foccacia. I know people who swear by some of their soups and sandwiches, but I've never tried them.
       
      #3
        acornlover

        RE: Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 6:43 PM (permalink)
        I like their coffe and they have free wi-fi at the one I go to. The french toast bagel is good and ditto the aiago cheese one-YUM!
         
        #4
          acornlover

          RE: Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 6:44 PM (permalink)
          Oooh, but the NE Clam Chowder is AWFUL, and I had it on the North SHore of Mass where they have access to pretty goo clams...
           
          #5
            seafarer john

            RE: Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 6:53 PM (permalink)
            As it happens we had lunch today at a Panera that opened in Kingston, NY a few months ago. I had a tuna sandwich on multi-grain bread and it was very good. My wife had a chicken soup, and a turkey,bacon, cheese panini.
            She said they were good. And my coffee was very good. I'd go back, but I know a dozen independents in our area where I could have eaten just as well for the same buck. We bought a loaf of their Country bread, havn't sliced it yet, so can't report on it.

            BTW: We left a dollar for the woman cleaning up the tables. She loudly announced, "No one ever tips in this place".

            Cheers, John
             
            #6
              carlton pierre

              • Total Posts: 2500
              • Joined: 7/12/2004
              • Location: Knoxville, TN
              RE: Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 6:54 PM (permalink)
              Starbucks on steroids.
               
              #7
                aleswench

                • Total Posts: 686
                • Joined: 2/18/2004
                • Location: Franklin, NJ
                RE: Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 6:58 PM (permalink)
                Occasionally for lunch I will go there (because there is practically no where to go where I work - except A & A deli (Lincoln Park, NJ) that someone else mentioned here before...but they are expensive...anyway) - the only thing notable by the one I go to is their mushroom soup. They make two varieties and both are seasonal - that's the only thing I have had there that is note-worthy in my opionion. The bread is decent - no better than any good bakery and the pastries - no better than any good bakery as well....
                 
                #8
                  BT

                  • Total Posts: 3589
                  • Joined: 7/3/2004
                  • Location: San Francisco, CA
                  RE: Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 7:25 PM (permalink)
                  I had lunch at one of these places in Daytona Beach. The food was OK but I don't remember what I had so it wasn't earthshaking. What I do remember is the chaotic layout of the place. First you stand in line to order (and it's a long line). Then, since they don't have table service, you crowd around another counter (or go find a table and try to hear them call your name over the din) to get what you ordered. I found the experience of getting my food, and a place to eat it, pretty much ruined my apetite.
                   
                  #9
                    BT

                    • Total Posts: 3589
                    • Joined: 7/3/2004
                    • Location: San Francisco, CA
                    RE: Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 7:28 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by seafarer john

                    We left a dollar for the woman cleaning up the tables. She loudly announced, "No one ever tips in this place".

                    Cheers, John


                    And since I didn't notice even this amount of service, it's no bloody wonder. I shlepped my own food to my table and cleaned off the residua of the former occupant myself.
                     
                    #10
                      Tommy2dogs

                      • Total Posts: 348
                      • Joined: 7/13/2004
                      • Location: Chicago, IL
                      RE: Panera Bread Thu, 05/12/05 7:58 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by acornlover

                      Oooh, but the NE Clam Chowder is AWFUL, and I had it on the North SHore of Mass where they have access to pretty goo clams...


                      Sorry but this begs the question, Why would anyone get Clam Chowder at a chain when in the North Shore of Mass.?
                       
                      #11
                        kland01s

                        • Total Posts: 2835
                        • Joined: 3/14/2003
                        • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                        RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 9:14 AM (permalink)
                        I eat at Panera every once in a while with coworkers, it's not bad but it's also pretty bland, I always add extra packets of spicy mustard or mayo to whatever I have. Some of their soups like the vegetarian black bean are pretty good and their onion rosemary focaccia bread is quite good. I used to bring in pastry items for work and co-workers loved them. In this area there are few bakeries anymore and no sandwich shops other than Subway or Quizno. Panera at least offers a nice place to sit and eat and ours has a pretty lively open mike session on Friday nights. Our local one also seems to be a real magnate for moms with little ones in the morning, their parking lot is always pretty full.

                        http://www.panerabread.com

                         
                        #12
                          dctourist

                          • Total Posts: 325
                          • Joined: 7/23/2004
                          • Location: Washington, DC
                          RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 9:31 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

                          quote:
                          Originally posted by acornlover

                          Oooh, but the NE Clam Chowder is AWFUL, and I had it on the North SHore of Mass where they have access to pretty goo clams...


                          Sorry but this begs the question, Why would anyone get Clam Chowder at a chain when in the North Shore of Mass.?

                          Well, yeah. There's no way the chowder at Panera is fresh and/or based on local clams. I'm sure it comes in some institutional packaging from Missouri or somewhere. I agree with previous posts that there are some good soups to be had at Panera, but the chowder sucks. (At least I ordered it in Maryland :-) )

                          Speaking of Missouri, I was just in St. Louis and saw a place that was obviously Panera but was called St. Louis Bread Co. Anyone know if it started there?
                           
                          #13
                            wheregreggeats.com

                            RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 9:53 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by BT

                            I had lunch at one of these places in Daytona Beach. The food was OK but I don't remember what I had so it wasn't earthshaking. What I do remember is the chaotic layout of the place. First you stand in line to order (and it's a long line). Then, since they don't have table service, you crowd around another counter (or go find a table and try to hear them call your name over the din) to get what you ordered. I found the experience of getting my food, and a place to eat it, pretty much ruined my apetite.
                            Sorry but this begs the question, Why would a roadfooder eat at a chain in Daytona Beach?

                             
                            #14
                              BJames

                              • Total Posts: 30
                              • Joined: 5/7/2004
                              • Location: St. Louis, MO
                              RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 10:10 AM (permalink)
                              Panera started as a local bakery in St. Louis about 20 years ago, and is still known in the area as St. Louis Bread. Its easy to dismiss them as being another chain however they fill a need for above average bread in suburban communities that either have never had bakeries or have had them close. Unfortunately the bakery business is known for really bad hours and low income so most shops have shut down.
                               
                              #15
                                chezkatie

                                • Total Posts: 1329
                                • Joined: 6/24/2001
                                • Location: Baltimore and Florida,
                                RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 10:15 AM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

                                quote:
                                Originally posted by BT

                                I had lunch at one of these places in Daytona Beach. The food was OK but I don't remember what I had so it wasn't earthshaking. What I do remember is the chaotic layout of the place. First you stand in line to order (and it's a long line). Then, since they don't have table service, you crowd around another counter (or go find a table and try to hear them call your name over the din) to get what you ordered. I found the experience of getting my food, and a place to eat it, pretty much ruined my apetite.
                                Sorry but this begs the question, Why would a roadfooder eat at a chain in Daytona Beach?




                                I wondered the same thing; for a real outstanding (and cheap) lunch, he should have gone to The Cuban Sandwich shop on Mason Ave for one of the best warm pressed Cuban sandwiches anywhere.
                                 
                                #16
                                  BT

                                  • Total Posts: 3589
                                  • Joined: 7/3/2004
                                  • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                  RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 10:48 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by chezkatie

                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by BT

                                  I had lunch at one of these places in Daytona Beach. The food was OK but I don't remember what I had so it wasn't earthshaking. What I do remember is the chaotic layout of the place. First you stand in line to order (and it's a long line). Then, since they don't have table service, you crowd around another counter (or go find a table and try to hear them call your name over the din) to get what you ordered. I found the experience of getting my food, and a place to eat it, pretty much ruined my apetite.
                                  Sorry but this begs the question, Why would a roadfooder eat at a chain in Daytona Beach?




                                  I wondered the same thing; for a real outstanding (and cheap) lunch, he should have gone to The Cuban Sandwich shop on Mason Ave for one of the best warm pressed Cuban sandwiches anywhere.


                                  Because the Roadfooder's 84 year-old, recently widowed Mom had heard how wonderful Panera Bread was from her 80-something friends and wanted to try it. OK? Personally, the Roadfooder in question would eat BBQ for lunch every day when anywhere in the South if it were entirely up to him.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    BT

                                    • Total Posts: 3589
                                    • Joined: 7/3/2004
                                    • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                    RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 10:58 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by BJames

                                    Panera started as a local bakery in St. Louis about 20 years ago, and is still known in the area as St. Louis Bread. Its easy to dismiss them as being another chain however they fill a need for above average bread in suburban communities that either have never had bakeries or have had them close. Unfortunately the bakery business is known for really bad hours and low income so most shops have shut down.



                                    This doesn't have to be true. I can assure you that in the Bay Area "artisanal" bakeries are thriving. My favorite is Acme in the East Bay, but Boudin (known to sourdough-loving tourists from everywhere) is just now opening a brand new flagship store with a glassed in "display" bakery and there are many more. Aside from the fact of a "foodie" culture and a good deal of affluence, I can't think of why this area should be unusually receptive to high-quality local baking. Down in Arizona, I'm pretty sure a place offering the same quality as these Bay Area operations would also thrive.

                                    On the other hand, I agree with you that the strictly retail baked goods part of the Panera operation is a plus for many communities. My somewhat (not entirely) negative comments have strictly to do with the restaurant/sandwich part of the business.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      wheregreggeats.com

                                      RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by BT

                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by chezkatie

                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by BT

                                      I had lunch at one of these places in Daytona Beach. The food was OK but I don't remember what I had so it wasn't earthshaking. What I do remember is the chaotic layout of the place. First you stand in line to order (and it's a long line). Then, since they don't have table service, you crowd around another counter (or go find a table and try to hear them call your name over the din) to get what you ordered. I found the experience of getting my food, and a place to eat it, pretty much ruined my apetite.
                                      Sorry but this begs the question, Why would a roadfooder eat at a chain in Daytona Beach?




                                      I wondered the same thing; for a real outstanding (and cheap) lunch, he should have gone to The Cuban Sandwich shop on Mason Ave for one of the best warm pressed Cuban sandwiches anywhere.


                                      Because the Roadfooder's 84 year-old, recently widowed Mom had heard how wonderful Panera Bread was from her 80-something friends and wanted to try it. OK? Personally, the Roadfooder in question would eat BBQ for lunch every day when anywhere in the South if it were entirely up to him.
                                      Whew ... Thank goodness there was a reasonable explanation.

                                      I wonder how small the little box in the middle with the original post can get?
                                       
                                      #19
                                        Lone Star

                                        • Total Posts: 1730
                                        • Joined: 5/22/2003
                                        • Location: Houston, TX
                                        RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by BT

                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by BJames

                                        Panera started as a local bakery in St. Louis about 20 years ago, and is still known in the area as St. Louis Bread. Its easy to dismiss them as being another chain however they fill a need for above average bread in suburban communities that either have never had bakeries or have had them close. Unfortunately the bakery business is known for really bad hours and low income so most shops have shut down.



                                        A Panera store recently opened in the used-to-be small town where I live that is now a “suburb” of Houston. It is the only place of a “bakery” description besides the bakeries in the chain grocery stores. I can get better bread while in town (Houston) at more “artisianal” places, but it is something different for the burbs. Never had a sandwich there, but did buy some ciabatta.
                                        This doesn't have to be true. I can assure you that in the Bay Area "artisanal" bakeries are thriving. My favorite is Acme in the East Bay, but Boudin (known to sourdough-loving tourists from everywhere) is just now opening a brand new flagship store with a glassed in "display" bakery and there are many more. Aside from the fact of a "foodie" culture and a good deal of affluence, I can't think of why this area should be unusually receptive to high-quality local baking. Down in Arizona, I'm pretty sure a place offering the same quality as these Bay Area operations would also thrive.

                                        On the other hand, I agree with you that the strictly retail baked goods part of the Panera operation is a plus for many communities. My somewhat (not entirely) negative comments have strictly to do with the restaurant/sandwich part of the business.
                                         
                                        #20
                                          Tony Bad

                                          RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                          I ate at one while ago on one of my all too frequent "express with no time for road food" trips in FL and found it was pretty good. The next time I tried was when one opened here in NY near my home. It was not good at all. Other people have told me that their growth has resulted in some slides in the quality of the food.
                                           
                                          #21
                                            wanderingjew

                                            • Total Posts: 7379
                                            • Joined: 1/18/2001
                                            • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 1:06 PM (permalink)
                                            Isn't this like the 50th thread we've had on Panera??
                                             
                                            #22
                                              acornlover

                                              RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 3:35 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by acornlover

                                              Oooh, but the NE Clam Chowder is AWFUL, and I had it on the North SHore of Mass where they have access to pretty goo clams...


                                              Sorry but this begs the question, Why would anyone get Clam Chowder at a chain when in the North Shore of Mass.?


                                              It was pouring rain during a nasty nor'easter. I was waiting for my son to get out of school and had limited options, I thought I'd try it needless to say i did not finish it
                                               
                                              #23
                                                carlton pierre

                                                • Total Posts: 2500
                                                • Joined: 7/12/2004
                                                • Location: Knoxville, TN
                                                RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                                There's a clone of this monster in the southeast called the Atlanta Bread Co. The appeal of these places is mind boggling.
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  dctourist

                                                  • Total Posts: 325
                                                  • Joined: 7/23/2004
                                                  • Location: Washington, DC
                                                  RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 5:02 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

                                                  On the other hand, I agree with you that the strictly retail baked goods part of the Panera operation is a plus for many communities. My somewhat (not entirely) negative comments have strictly to do with the restaurant/sandwich part of the business.

                                                  I agree. My boss (who has the culinary sophistication of your average 10-year-old) likes to bring the group there but it's taken me quite a while to find a couple of items to order for lunch that I actually like.
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    Adjudicator

                                                    • Total Posts: 5055
                                                    • Joined: 5/20/2003
                                                    • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                    RE: Panera Bread Fri, 05/13/05 5:04 PM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by carlton pierre

                                                    There's a clone of this monster in the southeast called the Atlanta Bread Co. The appeal of these places is mind boggling.


                                                    Which I find not to be that spectacular... And then there are the clones of the clones, @ least in my 100 mile radius "area"... Is this the dumbing-down of America syndrome in action????
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      sandwackers

                                                      • Total Posts: 8
                                                      • Joined: 6/4/2005
                                                      • Location: Arlington, TX
                                                      RE: Panera Bread Sat, 06/4/05 2:01 AM (permalink)
                                                      Here is Dallas/Ft. Worth, we have both Paneras and Atlanta Bread Company. They both have things worth going to each for. Atlanta has the best french toast ever and they have a whole variety of gourmet Italian food, from breakfast to desert. Paneras has delicious bread. I am not so fond of the sandwiches, but that has nothing to do with the bread. The soup is really good and I like bagels from both places.
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        sandwackers

                                                        • Total Posts: 8
                                                        • Joined: 6/4/2005
                                                        • Location: Arlington, TX
                                                        RE: Panera Bread Sat, 06/4/05 2:16 AM (permalink)
                                                        Krispy Creame... I'm sure it causes cancer!
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          UncleVic

                                                          • Total Posts: 6025
                                                          • Joined: 10/14/2003
                                                          • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: Panera Bread Sat, 06/4/05 2:26 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by sandwackers

                                                          Krispy Creame... I'm sure it causes cancer!


                                                          Sandwackers is not going nuts.. I posted "All this talk about CHAIN food has me craving a Krispy Cream Donut".. Then I decided to trash can it, but he replied as I was killing it... Felt I should explain so everyone didnt think he went way off the tracks...

                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            BT

                                                            • Total Posts: 3589
                                                            • Joined: 7/3/2004
                                                            • Location: San Francisco, CA
                                                            RE: Panera Bread Sat, 06/4/05 3:14 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by BT

                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by chezkatie

                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by BT

                                                            I had lunch at one of these places in Daytona Beach. The food was OK but I don't remember what I had so it wasn't earthshaking. What I do remember is the chaotic layout of the place. First you stand in line to order (and it's a long line). Then, since they don't have table service, you crowd around another counter (or go find a table and try to hear them call your name over the din) to get what you ordered. I found the experience of getting my food, and a place to eat it, pretty much ruined my apetite.
                                                            Sorry but this begs the question, Why would a roadfooder eat at a chain in Daytona Beach?




                                                            I wondered the same thing; for a real outstanding (and cheap) lunch, he should have gone to The Cuban Sandwich shop on Mason Ave for one of the best warm pressed Cuban sandwiches anywhere.


                                                            Because the Roadfooder's 84 year-old, recently widowed Mom had heard how wonderful Panera Bread was from her 80-something friends and wanted to try it. OK? Personally, the Roadfooder in question would eat BBQ for lunch every day when anywhere in the South if it were entirely up to him.
                                                            Whew ... Thank goodness there was a reasonable explanation.

                                                            I wonder how small the little box in the middle with the original post can get?


                                                            Hard to say unless we keep trying. Your turn.
                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 31

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com