Panuchos

Author
lone nut
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
2007/07/22 18:00:57 (permalink)

Panuchos

Here's a subject I have not seen here yet. A few years ago, a chef friend took me to a small Yucatan restaurant in LA. He knew I would like the Panuchos, and here's what I recall about these: Two small corn tortillas, maybe 3 inches in diameter, somehow stuck together with a tiny bit of (probably) black bean paste in between. I think this unit was then fried. On top of that, a really small amount of shredded (probably with a fork) turkey, a little bit of sliced red onion (some recipes are calling for pickled red onion), and a really thin, colorless habanero salsa. The guy who ran the restaurant grew his own habaneros in his back yard. Anyway, these things were remarkably light, nicely hot, I could put away a half dozen and not feel it. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I'd like to try some at home, but I'm seeing all kinds of conflicting recipes on the web.
-Scott Lindgren, Los Angeles the Damned

12 Replies Related Threads

Wannabchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Panuchos 2007/07/22 18:37:02 (permalink)
    Here is a recipe that closely follows a Rick Bayless episode in season 5....

It is not exactly like his, but very very close.

Steak Panuchos

Corn tortillas filled with grilled steak and fresh vegetables then topped with guacoamole, cilantro and salsa.

Ingredients:
    12 fresh corn tortillas
    Corn oil, as needed
    1 cup refried beans
    1 cups finely chopped red radishes
    1 cup finely chopped red onions
    1 cup finely chopped green bell peppers
    2 cups shredded grilled steak (top sirloin or NY strip preferred, fat removed)
    Garnish:
    Guacamole and 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves1 12 oz jar chili pepper salsa (from your grocery store)
    Method
    Cook steak to medium rare, all fat removed. Slice into thin shredded strips. Soft fry the tortillas in corn oil. Spread with refried beans. Combine radishes, onions, bell peppers. Spread mixture over beans. Top with shredded steak and a dollop of guacamole. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with habanero or other chile pepper salsa on the side.

Notes: Please do not over-fry the tortillas - they must remain soft to be rolled.

Number of servings: 4 appetizer servings of 3 Panuchos each

lone nut
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Panuchos 2007/07/22 19:16:54 (permalink)
    Well... Wannabechef is suggesting something entirely different from what I understand as a panucho. I don't think they eat much steak in the Yucatan. Where are the habaneros? Steak instead of shredded turkey? What? And the P.S. about ROLLING the tortillas?? That's all wrong. I guess El Bayless has a lot of followers, but Chicago is a LONG way from the Yucatan.
    -Scott Lindgren
    Wannabchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Panuchos 2007/07/22 19:37:03 (permalink)
    I did my best - sorry to disappoint - so find your recipe then.....
    Rick Bayless is the authority on Mexican cuisine.....
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Panuchos 2007/07/23 09:00:21 (permalink)
    They are not two tortillas, it is one very thick one. Make the Masa Harina as usual but make the uncooked tortilla thick. When they cook the steam will make them open up and create a pocket. You stuff them with whatever you like. The reciepes I saw called for frying the stuffed tortilla so I don't think they are going to be very light.

Try googleing "gorditas". It is a thick corn tortilla, split open and stuffed with anything you want. There is nothing light about them though as they are mad with lard or beef fat. I like them with refried beans, shreaded chicken, avocado slices, queso fresco, lettuce, tomato and salsa guisada.

joe
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Panuchos 2007/08/07 09:17:22 (permalink)
    Try the Essential Cusines of Mexico by Diane Kennedy or check out one of her other books for the recipe.
    Now Taco Cabana has pupusas which are from El Salvador.It is essentially a big corn tortilla that is stuffed with meat and other things,the sides folded over the ingredients then grilled.
    They are okay,but I prefer burritos and enchiladas.
    Taco Cabana is a local San Antonio chain which is spreading out into other places besides Texas.I'm surprised to see the pupusas there,and they don't have gorditas which i like.
    Texianjoe
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 639
    RE: Panuchos 2007/08/07 13:27:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by HollyDolly

Try the Essential Cusines of Mexico by Diane Kennedy or check out one of her other books for the recipe.
    Now Taco Cabana has pupusas which are from El Salvador.It is essentially a big corn tortilla that is stuffed with meat and other things,the sides folded over the ingredients then grilled.
    They are okay,but I prefer burritos and enchiladas.
    Taco Cabana is a local San Antonio chain which is spreading out into other places besides Texas.I'm surprised to see the pupusas there,and they don't have gorditas which i like.

I tried one last week and it was very good. They are no where close to the real thing. The real thing is close to a gordita but with the filling cooked in. I'm lucky enough to have a lady that makes and sells them here at work every morning. They are accompanied with what could be described as a spicy cole slaw of shredded cabbage, hot peppers(serrano I think) and oil to place on top.

joe
    Fishkiller
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Panuchos 2007/12/04 14:46:43 (permalink)
    lone nut, I know exactly what you're talking about and have actually had them both homemade here in Socal and also in Merida of the Yucatan. The gorditas are completely different. It's been years since I had them homemade, but from what I recall they were not that hard. You just need to crisp up the small tortillas, spread some beans on it, shredded turkey, red onion (pickled or not), salsa and avocado. Check out www.chichenitzarestaurant.com.
    salindgren
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Panuchos 2007/12/06 00:52:01 (permalink)
    Yes, thank you, Fishkiller. I don't know why so many are getting it SO wrong. Especially celebrity "chefs" on TV. I keep finding cheaper and cheaper habanero vendors here in LA. I love it.
    -Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net
    domeduo
    Junior Burger
    RE: Panuchos 2008/05/05 11:12:04 (permalink)
    What you are looking for is Mayan/Yucatan food - that it pretty far from traditional Mexican. I make these all the time - we had them all over the Yucatan peninusula - couldn't find them anywhere else in Mexico. -- Easy to make - very delicious!
    Get the small corn tortillas -- fry in a little bit of oil until they change color to dark yellow and are crispy - usually on a few minutes on each side - I make 2 for each person.
    Put about 1/4 cup of drained black beans in a bowl and mash, then mix with remainder of can of black beans. Spread on fried tortillas, layer with meat - I use shredded chicken, turkey, or pork, cheese, black olives, pickled onions, and peppers. If you like hot peppers use them - I don't care for them so I leave them off. Add lettuce and salsa to top. I sometimes use sour cream - personal tastes vary.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5081
    RE: Panuchos 2008/05/05 11:34:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by domeduo

What you are looking for is Mayan/Yucatan food - that it pretty far from traditional Mexican. I make these all the time - we had them all over the Yucatan peninusula - couldn't find them anywhere else in Mexico. -- Easy to make - very delicious!
    Get the small corn tortillas -- fry in a little bit of oil until they change color to dark yellow and are crispy - usually on a few minutes on each side - I make 2 for each person.
    Put about 1/4 cup of drained black beans in a bowl and mash, then mix with remainder of can of black beans. Spread on fried tortillas, layer with meat - I use shredded chicken, turkey, or pork, cheese, black olives, pickled onions, and peppers. If you like hot peppers use them - I don't care for them so I leave them off. Add lettuce and salsa to top. I sometimes use sour cream - personal tastes vary.

Welcome aboard. Good first post. keep them coming.
    NATIA
    Junior Burger
    RE: Panuchos 2009/08/04 18:57:40 (permalink)
    MY FAMILY IN MEXICO OWNS A RESTRAUNT WHERE THE ONLY THING THEY MAKE IS PANUCHOS AND EMPANADAS. THEY ARE MYAN AND I LEARNED HOW TO MAKE PANUCHOS FROM THEM. SO I WILL GIVE YOU A LITTLE INSIGHT ON WHAT I KNOW.
    THEY USE CHICKEN. THE SEASON IT WITH ACHIOTE THEN BOIL IT AND THEN THEY GRILL IT. WHEN IT STARTS TO COOL DOWN DOWN THEY SHRED IT WITH THEIR FINGERS INTO VERY SMALL PIECES. THEY USE WHITE ONIONS MARINATED IN RED WINE VINEGAR, LIME, AND A LITTLE ORANGE JUICE. THIS GIVES IT ITS FLAVOR. ITS NEEDS TO MARINATE FOR ABOUT 6 HOURS. THEN YOU  MAKE YOUR TORTILLAS. THEY ARE ABOUT 4 INCHES IN DIAMITOR AND WHEN YOU COOK THEM THEY WILL FLUFF UP. YOU NEED TO CUT A SLIT IN THE TORTILLA BUT BE CAREFULL NOT TO GO ALL THE WAY THROUGH. THIS IS WHERE YOU PUT THE BEANS. AFTER YOU ADD THE BEANS YOU WILL FRY THEM UNTIL THEY ARE LIGHT GOLD.  THEN YOU WILL TOP IT WITH THE SHREDDED CHICKEN, CABBAGE AVACADO,CREMA,AND COJITA CHEESE. YOU CAN ALSO PUT YOUR SALSA ON TOP(ASK FOR RECIPE IF NEEDED) THEN A HOMADE TOMATO SAUCE.
    IT IS A GREAT LUNCH OR DINNER. I DONT LIVE IN MEXICO ANYMORE AND THATS THE ONE THING I MISS THE MOST. NEXT TO CHOCHINITA OF COURSE. I HOPE THIS HELPS
    badbyron722
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Panuchos 2009/08/05 21:02:34 (permalink)
    That sounds wonderful.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1