Papa John's warning

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18655
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/26 20:26:28 (permalink)
As it happens I ordered an apizza from Papa John's tonight, hoping to take the edge off the Giants glorious outing in Green Bay. All the talk about it here did it. I ordered a medium six-cheese pie (parmesan, mozzarella, romano, provolone, asiago and fontina), light on the sauce. When it arrived I added some olive oil, garlic granules, dried oregano and red pepper flakes, put it into a 350-degree oven for a bit, and it was darned good. No, not New Haven worthy, but pretty good.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/26 22:18:02 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

As it happens I ordered an apizza from Papa John's tonight, hoping to take the edge off the Giants glorious outing in Green Bay. All the talk about it here did it. I ordered a medium six-cheese pie (parmesan, mozzarella, romano, provolone, asiago and fontina), light on the sauce. When it arrived I added some olive oil, garlic granules, dried oregano and red pepper flakes, put it into a 350-degree oven for a bit, and it was darned good. No, not New Haven worthy, but pretty good.

BS

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/26 22:47:16 (permalink)
sk bob

ya gotta bite the bullet once in a while because the fliers you get in the mail make them look so good in the pictures.
I don't hate all chains. just the ones IMO that have bad food.
when you have no other choice and you want that type of food, bad is better than none.
I love the Pizza Hut stuffed crust PAN pizza, but you can only get it once in a while when they have a promotion for it.
I was in Pigeon Forge once upon a time on a late Sunday night and the only joint open was Domino's and I was starving so I called and ordered one from my motel - it came and I ate it but it was HORRIBLE from the first bite to the last bite.

This was the only Domino's pizza I have ever bought.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6315
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/27 02:54:37 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

...........Pretty good???????????????

dasl_4
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/27 04:52:49 (permalink)
Papa John's was barely edible 15 years ago when it was the only available thin crust pizza near work .. I tried it a few months ago and I swear the crust reminded me of a toaster strudal pastry ... nasty nasty nasty
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/27 11:52:40 (permalink)
I can't help wondering why it is that some people here seem to so hate Papa John's. As I've said, I know it's not the best apizza in the world, but it's serviceable, and can easily be made better with the application of a few seasonings and a short trip to the home oven. I'm inclined to think it's more a matter of automatic distaste for a successful chain than anything else.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3545
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/27 12:51:05 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
I'm inclined to think it's more a matter of automatic distaste for a successful chain than anything else.

I believe we have a winner.
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/27 13:29:39 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I can't help wondering why it is that some people here seem to so hate Papa John's. As I've said, I know it's not the best apizza in the world, but it's serviceable, and can easily be made better with the application of a few seasonings and a short trip to the home oven. I'm inclined to think it's more a matter of automatic distaste for a successful chain than anything else.

Michael, I heartly disagree, I wanted to say, WOW, how come I haven't done Papa John's before.
Simply put, I don't judge a place because it's a chain. Plenty of chains I like a bunch. Papa John's first experience for me was the pits, to the point I'll never go back.

kishkaeater
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/27 13:51:18 (permalink)
Guess I'm not a pizza snob.  I also like to doctor up my pizzas with chopped onions and olives besides other tasty things.

I also sometimes add more cheese.  Papa John's is a good start in a pinch.

dimmie2
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/27 14:08:19 (permalink)
I don't believe a good pizza should be one bought and ingredients added to make it edible.  I've never been a big fan of pizza but Costco has one that's pretty good for my tastes and reasonably priced.
kishkaeater
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/27 14:16:52 (permalink)
Sometimes you add to the purchased pizza things that aren't available at the time of purchase.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/27 14:54:14 (permalink)
chewingthefat

Michael Hoffman

Michael, I heartly disagree, I wanted to say, WOW, how come I haven't done Papa John's before.
Simply put, I don't judge a place because it's a chain. Plenty of chains I like a bunch. Papa John's first experience for me was the pits, to the point I'll never go back.

Perhaps I could have been more clear. When I said some, I was not referring to you. The experience you recounted was clearly not a result of a person not liking chains.

bartl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1329
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/28 09:42:59 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman I can't help wondering why it is that some people here seem to so hate Papa John's. As I've said, I know it's not the best apizza in the world, but it's serviceable, and can easily be made better with the application of a few seasonings and a short trip to the home oven. I'm inclined to think it's more a matter of automatic distaste for a successful chain than anything else.

Actually, when I tried Papa John's, I did so with high hopes based on their advertisements. Their quality, in my opinion, was pretty much frozen pizza; not even as good as the local Domino's (but better than Pizza Hut). On the other hand, I live in Northern New Jersey, where there are a number of good quality alternatives. The quality of Papa John's ingredients is pretty low, and they try to compensate by way too much corn syrup in the sauce.

On the other hand, when I order from Domino's, I order their "oddball" pizzas, which, as they bear no resemblance to regular pizza, can be judged on their own merit (I kind of like their cheesesteak pizza, for example).

Bart
AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/28 10:53:27 (permalink)
We only have pizza chains here in Versailles, Ky, and our Papa John's is pretty darn good - last  night we got a large Super Supreme (or whatever they call it) for about $10.60 or so including tax.  It was good - I wouldn't have paid $21 for it, but for what it cost it was worth it and we were in a hurry and I have leftovers for lunch today.

I'd choose Papa John's over other chains though I haven't had pizza from Mellow Mushroom yet.

Andrea

collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 164
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/29 21:22:19 (permalink)
If I have to pick a pizza from one of the major chains, the only one I will choose is Papa John's.  Agreed they are not anything great, but if you can't get a good mom & pop pizza, or make one of your own, it will do in a pinch.
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1023
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/30 00:01:14 (permalink)
I tried them a few years ago, and thought the sauce was way too sweet. I have enough local places nearby that make a better pie for less and I'd rather patronize them anyway.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8490
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/30 06:56:11 (permalink)
I guess I am not understanding, Mr. Hoffman,why you would embellish a take out pizza. I do that with frozen, with much success,but with a delivered or take out pizza? Again, we all have our own tastes.I love anchovies, so i add them -post mortem, to any pizza we eat-Bob claims they swim to his side....
post edited by annpeeples - 2010/12/30 06:57:12
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/30 10:36:01 (permalink)
SeamusD

I tried them a few years ago, and thought the sauce was way too sweet. I have enough local places nearby that make a better pie for less and I'd rather patronize them anyway.

I think the sauce on all the delivery chain places is too sweet. When I order I order light on the sauce.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/30 10:38:18 (permalink)
annpeeples

I guess I am not understanding, Mr. Hoffman,why you would embellish a take out pizza. I do that with frozen, with much success,but with a delivered or take out pizza? Again, we all have our own tastes.I love anchovies, so i add them -post mortem, to any pizza we eat-Bob claims they swim to his side....

I don't embellish the pies. I add things that result in making them taste just a little more like an actual apizza instead of the poor imitations they are.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3545
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/30 14:08:56 (permalink)
annpeeples

I often do because I have a really hard time paying as much as they want to charge for, say, olives, when I have a whole jar of them in my refrigerator.  I'll get whatever the special is, then add according to my mood from things I keep at home.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/30 21:51:56 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

annpeeples

I don't embellish the pies. I add things that result in making them taste just a little more like an actual apizza instead of the poor imitations they are.

I don't understand it either Anneaples.
if I'm ordering a $10 - $15 pizza it better satisfy me without adding more stuff to it & cooking it more. in the end it cost you about $20 with ingredients & time spent making a $15  manhole cover taste better.
we get Tombstone extra chesse on sale for 3 for $10, add 'rooms, 'roni,more cheese & 1/2 with sewer trout.
good stuff for less than $5 a pie.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4636
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/30 22:21:39 (permalink)
I stick with the $5.00 Little Ceasars
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1023
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/30 23:18:49 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

SeamusD

I think the sauce on all the delivery chain places is too sweet. When I order I order light on the sauce.

That makes sense, never thought of doing that. I eat my own pizza most often though, so when I do end up ordering out I avoid the issue altogether by going local.
Billfish
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 397
Re:Papa John's warning 2010/12/30 23:56:07 (permalink)
I have had a few Papa John pizzas (please i do not say "pies") over the years and I studied that annoying sweetness with a near-technical aproach.I wont go into all the details,but i think that cloying sweetness is not built into the sauce but rather into the crust,and possibly just the "cornichon" edge crust.I won't claim to know how they do it,but its probably something like the house rolls at the Texas Roadhouse steak chain,which people say have a "buttery sugar coating".They don't because the butter there has no sugar in it.The sweetness is built into the bread.For proof get some butter on a bake potato-its not sweet.Might not even be butter.
    I have bought pizzas which are legendary for sweet sauce,for example
the locally beloved pizza at "Bargain Bills Market" in Laurel Delaware.This place makes no bones about the sweetness of its sauce,to the point where locals say "Hey,that sweet stuff is what I like the best".Truthfully,its not bad but its obvious that the sauce is sweet and the crust is not.As I get older,I can't make these taste distinctions as well anymore,and thats a shame,I suppose its something that degenerates with age.
    I cant really imagine anything thats good about Papa Johns,but the sweet crust is just ridiculous.

senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:Papa John's warning 2011/01/18 13:23:59 (permalink)
Hello, American in China.
Another Papa John's location went out of business in my Chinese hometown, near my house. I really wanted a gut bomb pizza but to no avail.
Oddly, Pizza Hut does well here, even though it is the same sh*tty pizza as in the USA.
MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 2009
Re:Papa John's warning 2011/07/20 09:24:20 (permalink)
Update:  On three occasions, I ordered Papa John's current summer specials ($11 for a large "The Works" and $10 for a large Italian) and they were excellent.  Guess I'll continue ordering and then complain if the quality goes down.  Also, they have a Monday Mania promotion right now: any large pizza for $8.99.  What a deal.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/27 17:31:59
KUJayhawkgirl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Papa John's warning 2011/07/27 17:23:49 (permalink)
My husband and I have both had food poisoning from our two tries with Papa John's. After the second we noticed in a regular newspaper column their Board of Health Grade A had slipped to a B. For awful tasting pizza and an awful experience to boot, you can guarantee Papa John's will never be in our house again. Those 99 cent Totinos pizzas would work better in a pinch!
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1329
Re:Papa John's warning 2011/07/28 16:02:32 (permalink)
KUJayhawkgirl Those 99 cent Totinos pizzas would work better in a pinch!

Actually, they're not too bad heated on a pizza stone (mind you, we are talking about frozen pizza standards, not fresh pizza standards. Papa Johns? Mediocre. By frozen pizza standards....

Bart
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8490
Re:Papa John's warning 2011/07/28 16:21:51 (permalink)
I have to admit, bartl, I buy Totinos on occasion. Maybe its the memory of eating them as a youth with my friends late night-but they are cheap, and in my opinion, better than Papa Johns any day.( For the money)
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:Papa John's warning 2011/07/29 04:48:39 (permalink)
I live in China, in a city called Hangzhou near Shanghai. We had several Papa John's outlets open and close within about a five years span,  the ones that do survive is basically because of foreign tourism. Pizza Hut is still going strong here, why is beyond me. Papa's was only slightly better.

I like their thin crust, and was annoyed that they did not have the medium size thin, and that I had to order the large one. I used to love those "cheese stick" bread things and the garlic butter. Eating that mess was like getting drunk, but with calories and salt instead of alcohol. Instead of my head having a hangover, it was my intestines getting the cramps.

The Chinese cant make pizza either, so I basically go without, or I get a gut bomb.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1