Papa Murphy's take & bake chain

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
2009/04/28 14:59:05 (permalink)

Papa Murphy's take & bake chain

We recently got a Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza chain near our house so we decided to give them a try last night. I got an order of cheesy bread and a 5 meat stuffed. The cheesy bread was pre-made and ready to be baked, but I watched them build my stuffed pie. 

They took a regular pizza skin and covered it with a pizza sauce I had never seen before. It reminded me of tomato paste with tomato chunks on it and was spread on the crust with what looked like a spackle knife. It was then topped with the meats and cheese. The top crust was put on, smeared with sauce again and covered on top with cheese and hamburger.

I brought it home and cooked the cheesy bread first. It was good but a little salty to me, my wife really liked it though. As for the pizza itself, all I could taste was a bland crust and extremely strong tasting bacon, and not a good bacon flavor. We both had on slice and it went into the fridge. I don't know if I will eat anymore of it or not. I think I would prefer the regular crust or the thin. I still don't understand the take and bake craze though.

Dennis in Car

46 Replies Related Threads

carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/28 15:47:10 (permalink)
    Neither do I. A few years ago, I bought a Papa Murphy's take n' bake pizza, and I followed their preparation instructions exactly. The result was a very disappointing pizza; I won't be going back there again. 
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1151
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/28 15:54:52 (permalink)
    Funny, we just had one open around the corner so I thought, What the hey and gave them a shot. What I ended up with was very dissapointing. Won't be going there. As far as the bake and take craze, I think it's just that. You could get the same ingredients and do ALL of the assembly and baking yourself instead of paying some one to do it and you still have to do half the work. Nice idea at first but I don't see a whole lot of return trade. The novelty will wear thin.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18947
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/28 16:12:35 (permalink)
    My grandson and I tried it once. It baked up properly and all, but they'd put so much cheese on it we couldn't eat it.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/28 16:42:11 (permalink)
    I agree Michael, there was waaaaay more cheese than I like on the bottom layer and not enough sauce. I couldn't taste the sauce over the bacon flavor.

Dennis in Cary
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/28 16:49:00 (permalink)
    Costco has very large "UnBaked" Pizzas  for $9.99 in their Deli section. We found they were too large for our oven without cutting them in half and doing a half at a time on a cookie sheet.  After a couple of tries we have decided that they aren't worth heating the house with the oven during the hot weather monthes!!
      If we want one of those pies we can get it at the snack bar at Costco already baked and ready to eat for the same price ($9.99). Not great Pizza, but better than Papa John's or Domino's and cheaper by several dollars!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/28 16:59:04 (permalink)
    You know, my wife just loves Domino's, Pizza Hut, and Papa John's over good NY style pizza from the local guy around the corner. I don't get it but I try to keep her happy. 

Oh well....

Denins in Cary
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/28 17:05:05 (permalink)
    My  6 year old granddaughter  loves Pizza Hut as she wins a coupon every month at school for  reading a certain number of minutes a day.

I would like to commend the Pizza Hut for this  but cannot.  For the  one free personal pan pizza that she gets, the rest of us have to suffer!

We did it once and that is all.  Her friend's mommy can now that her out for it.  We refuse to do it
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1366
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/28 17:13:59 (permalink)

I've never had a take-n-bake pizza from anywhere that's worth a darn.  It seems that the sauce separates and the water goes directly into the crust with the results being a bad pizza.
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/28 17:58:44 (permalink)
    Jman you are so right..,. it was like eating rubbery dough. We have tried the Costco pizza and had the same problem... too big for the oven. We have a new stove that is bigger and it will fit now. It's just as good as Papa Murphy.

Dennis in Cary

beijinger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/28 18:10:47 (permalink)
    Wow all the rips on Papa Murphy's. I must be the lucky one found there pizza be the only pizza i could eat. My trips home start at Papa Murphy's. The NW is void of even edible pizza. China even worse though found a buffet that does fine job in Beijing. Before any one ask i do know quality pizza grew up minutes from Pepe's Sally and Modern.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5233
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/29 09:32:21 (permalink)
    I've never had a stuffed pizza from Papa Murphy's; when we want something like that I'll get a partially cooked one from a place near my office and finish it at home.  Murphy's thin pizzas (not the Delite line) are OK with us, though, and we get one every couple of months.  I tend to cook it until the crust edge is dark brown.

Brad
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/29 11:43:33 (permalink)
    DLnWPBrown

I agree Michael, there was waaaaay more cheese than I like on the bottom layer and not enough sauce. I couldn't taste the sauce over the bacon flavor.

Dennis in Cary

Oh, the pie we got at Papa Murphy's wasn't what you called astuffed one. It was a reular pie. But the huge amount of cheese really ruined it.

seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/29 12:22:41 (permalink)
    While it is by no means a great pizza Papa Murphy's serves its purpose to society just fine. They provide a service to busy families like mine with two very busy children and a mom and dad that both work full time and a lot of the time on different shifts.

I agree that you do have to bake them past the instructions otherwise the crust in the middle gets soggy.

The Garlic Chicken pizza they have is one of my wifes favorites from there.
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/29 12:24:55 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

Oh, the pie we got at Papa Murphy's wasn't what you called astuffed one. It was a reular pie. But the huge amount of cheese really ruined it.

We have a saying here in Wisconsin and goes something like this:

"There ain't no such thing as too much cheese!"

DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/29 12:54:16 (permalink)
    seatown76

While it is by no means a great pizza Papa Murphy's serves its purpose to society just fine. They provide a service to busy families like mine with two very busy children and a mom and dad that both work full time and a lot of the time on different shifts.

I agree that you do have to bake them past the instructions otherwise the crust in the middle gets soggy.

The Garlic Chicken pizza they have is one of my wifes favorites from there.

My wife mentioned the garlic chicken as well... that might be good as a regluar pizza and not a stuffed one.

Dennis in Cary 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/29 13:09:14 (permalink)
    seatown76

Michael Hoffman

DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary

We have a saying here in Wisconsin and goes something like this:

"There ain't no such thing as too much cheese!"

I do believe that even a Wisconsinite would have gagged with the one we got.

HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/29 13:11:52 (permalink)
    The garlic chicken is pretty good but that was years ago.  I just got a coupon for a taco pizza.  It looks good on paper but we shall see.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/04/29 14:16:35 (permalink)
    Believe me,I didnt like Papa Murphys.Too much cheese without any taste at all....and thats from a Wisconsinite!
    food4u
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/05/04 03:54:03 (permalink)
    I'm not a fan of most of the Papa Murphy's pizzas. I'd compare them to the higher end frozen pizzas from the grocery store, and those are a lot more convenient than going to Papa Murphy's. However, I will admit that occasionally they come up with some unique specialty pizzas that are actually good ideas, albeit poorly executed because it's still Papa Murphy's.
    baughman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/05/04 10:26:04 (permalink)
    all the Papa Murphy's that open around here in Cincinnati usually close with in a year or so. Have seen 4 so far do this, and the newest one on my way to work never has anyone in it.
      I have never tried it tho. since if I want cheap crud pizza I can go to the Little Ceasars and get a $5 pizza that is cooked already.
    Navy_Brat913
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/05/17 22:26:54 (permalink)
    The thing is that places like Papa Murphy's, while being "chains", are run by individual owners.  I had my first Papa's take n bake 15 years ago in Astoria, OR.  For the 2 years I lived there it rocked.  I did not have it again until 10 years later, in the St Louis, MO area.  One store was awesome, the other not so much.

I moved to the Bremerton, WA area 6 months ago, and have been to 3 of these chains.  1 was "ok", 1 was "really good" and one was "ummmmmm".  You have to understand that the cooking guidelines are "suggestions".  Everyone has different ovens, just pay attention to it and you're golden.  Also, the places the pizza has been darn good have had good employees--the ones who seem like they are happy to be there, making pizza for you.  The closest Papa's to me has a string of employees who all seem like you are bothering them.  The next closest has a string of employees who act like they would prefer to be smoking pot than working.  The furthest from me has people who act like they love what they do.....and it shows in the product.  They give me a better balance of sauce/toppings vs cheese.

I will still prefer making my own, but I have found it depends on the individual store, rather than the company as a whole.  I would rather pay $7 for a pizza made in front of my eyes than a frozen pizza for $1.50 less, where I cannot see what toppings are added.  Just my $.02, of course:)
    willrun4food
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2009/05/26 16:51:13 (permalink)
    Navy_Brat913
    I will still prefer making my own, but I have found it depends on the individual store, rather than the company as a whole.  I would rather pay $7 for a pizza made in front of my eyes than a frozen pizza for $1.50 less, where I cannot see what toppings are added.  Just my $.02, of course:)

Bingo. I've got one in my area that is spot on with topping ratios, and I almost always cook longer than suggested. But when I visited a friend last year on the MOside of the river, I had a "bleah" expirience.

Still WORLDS better than Imo's.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2012/01/08 04:38:00 (permalink)
    Tried Papa Murphy's new Thin Crust DeLITE pizza tonite. Pepperoni, schrooms and extra cheese. The crust is cracker thin. That's the way the Bride likes it. It was good for the price- $10.00 even, tax and all, out the door. A good amount of toppings on it. I'd go there again for a $10.00 Buck Pizza, washed down with Two Buck Chuck.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4323
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2012/01/08 08:52:27 (permalink)
    Had a coupon so we tried our new Papa Murphy's once.  There is no need or desire to return.

We very happily use "Safeway Select Traditional Italian Pizza Dough".  Roll it out, slap it on a pre-heated pizza stone, top it, & bake and you get a superior pie without much extra effort for <$5.
    KurtSara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2012/01/08 17:15:25 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Tried Papa Murphy's new Thin Crust DeLITE pizza tonite. Pepperoni, schrooms and extra cheese. The crust is cracker thin. That's the way the Bride likes it. It was good for the price- $10.00 even, tax and all, out the door. A good amount of toppings on it. I'd go there again for a $10.00 Buck Pizza, washed down with Two Buck Chuck.

for what I call fast food pizza, it is not bad, and no tax on uncooked food in Minnesota
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2012/01/08 17:28:12 (permalink)
    Not a fan of Papa Murphy's or any chain but to much cheese? Never heard anyone complain of that before, a lot of people order extra cheese.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2012/01/10 11:19:55 (permalink)
    Papa John...Papa Murphy(isn't that Irish?) Papa Tasteless...just stick Papa infront of your name,serve generic pizza, and they will come(generic "they", that is)!!!
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1151
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2012/01/10 12:06:46 (permalink)
    I'll jump on this bandwagon and mention that they opened one here in Georgetown so I bit. Very dissappointing pizza. Plu I got the privilige of have to pay some guy to assemble this crap and pay for my own electricity to cook the damn thing. What a schmuck I was!
    Ketteract
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 294
    Re:Papa Murphy's take & bake chain 2012/03/14 22:06:54 (permalink)
    Adding my voice to the chorus of Papa Murphy's disapproval.  I wanted to like them, really, really wanted to like them, because their concept was attractive and they're literally two blocks from my apartment.  I enjoy getting tipsy and then having a previously-purchased pizza on hand to heat up when I don't trust myself to drive and don't feel like paying delivery charges.

But the product simply isn't that good.  The ingredients are undoubtedly fresh - their bins of chopped veggies and sliced meats are proudly on display - but even the freshest meh is still meh.  I tried a few combos that any decent pizza should be able to pull off: pepperoni and green pepper, sausage and onion, spinach and bacon.  All were screamingly mediocre.  (Oh, I also tried their minced garlic once, and unlike the rest of their toppings it was the jarred stuff, absolutely rancid.)  Sickly crust, insubstantial sauce, and maybe the first totally tasteless cheese I've ever encountered.   Truthfully, a frozen Tombstone has more taste and character than Papa Murphy's. :(
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1