Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5210
2008/02/13 15:03:15 (permalink)

Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis)

[url='http://www.pappyssmokehouse.com/']Pappy's Smokehouse[/url] is a new barbecue restaurant in St. Louis. I've never been there but I read a positive review on another site, so I thought I'd pass along the info for those who live in or might be passing through the area.

Brad

9 Replies Related Threads

Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis) 2008/02/13 18:27:06 (permalink)
    I'll go there Friday and give a report. StL needs a decent BBQ joint. I'm glad to see that they mention "Memphis-style"... my favorite.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis) 2008/02/16 18:09:24 (permalink)
    I visited Pappy's along with a co-worker on Friday. They're located on Olive at Cardinal in Midtown (next to Harris-Stowe University). When we arrived, there was a fire truck parked out front... in this case a good sign! A fire company was getting their lunch takeout. Pappy's has pulled pork, pulled chicken, beef brisket, turkey, sausage links, and of course, ribs. You can get a sandwich plate or a lunch plate both with two sides. In additional to the usual sides of beans, slaw, and potato salad, you can get sweet potato fries and fried corn on the cob (whole ear). Meat by the pound and a lot of takeout combos are also available. Service is order at the counter and they'll bring it to your table. Self service soda fountain and tea. Three varieties of sauce on the table.

I had the ribs (dry rub). Spices are unusual... I couldn't quite figure it out... but very tasty. Beans were dark and smokey. Slaw is vinegary and a bit sweet. Co-worked had mixed meat of brisket and sausage, corn on the cob, and beans. He thought it was all good. I have to give it two thumbs up and will be visiting again.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis) 2008/02/16 23:19:04 (permalink)
    What is "Memphis-style".
    What is "St Louis style"?
    What is "Kansas City style"?
    Jack
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis) 2008/02/17 14:35:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

What is "Memphis-style".
    What is "Kansas City style"?
    Jack

Well, I'm no Doctor of BBQ, but my understanding is this:

Memphis: pork, commonly with dry rub. Tomato-based sauces on the side.
    Kansas City: beef, basted in sauce.
    Saint Louis: a particular cut of rib, not a style of preparation.

For what it is worth, if Saint Louis had a "style" it would be pork, commonly pork steak, drowned in a super-sweet sauce. Ugh.

Of course, I could be wrong.
    Pokey LaFarge
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis) 2008/03/26 16:17:49 (permalink)
    Pappy's is excellent Q. Eaten there several times, ribs are top notch, pulled pork and chicken moist and tasty. I like the sweet baby jane sauce best but they serve 3 on the side with a xxx hot on request from the back, I am told.

However, that said, I had the turkey this past week and it was UNBELIEVABLY TASTY AND MOIST. I think I'll put an order in for a 25 pounder this Thanksgiving.

Beans are sweet at first then close spicy, slaw and potato salad are solid, sweet potato fries are a real treat. Portions are good, always something left over and the price is very fair.

Review in the St. Louis Post Dispatch today online......

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/reviews.nsf/restaurant/story/4255E770720F17EB86257417007C5A74?OpenDocument

Boosh!
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis) 2008/03/28 10:19:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dr of BBQ

Here is my take on it....
    St. Louis style BBQ is a grilled meat, usually pork steak, with little or no smoke that is then braised for hours in a sweet sauce. For the locals think of places like Phil's and Penney's, etc.
    SurrealGourmet
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis) 2008/03/31 17:53:10 (permalink)
    Pappy's is AWESOME!! The actually cook their meats nightly for the next days's business and when it's gone they close down for the day.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis) 2008/04/01 19:41:30 (permalink)
    http://www.saucemagazine.com/article/11
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/entertainment/reviews.nsf/restaurant/story/4255E770720F17EB86257417007C5A74?OpenDocument

Two good reviews in the local media.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Pappy's Smokehouse (St. Louis) 2008/04/01 19:53:59 (permalink)
    According to the Saint Louis Post Dispatch:
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/2239371C410EE4698625741B001DB75A?OpenDocument

Regional barbecue styles

Barbecue is a highly regionalized fare, with major, and passionately debated, differences. Barbecue is generally distinguished by a long, low exposure to heat. From there, the differences in style depend on meat, wood, spice and sauce.

— Texas style: Beef brisket, with tomato-based sauce put on after cooking.

— Kansas City: Pork spare ribs or beef brisket, typically distinguished by a thick tomato-based sauce.

— Memphis: Baby back pork ribs, with a dry spice rub. A spicy-sweet tomato-based sauce is usually used for dipping.

— St. Louis: Pork spare ribs or pork steak, distinguished by a sweet barbecue sauce.

— North Carolina: In the eastern part of the state, it is served with spiced vinegar; in the western part, with a vinegar sauce with ketchup. In both parts, the traditional meat is pork shoulder.

— South Carolina: In the northern part of the state, it is served with mustard sauce; in the southern, often served with a vinegar sauce with ketchup and brown sugar.

Another thing. Mike gave us a tour of the kitchen at Pappy's and said he used fruitwood (apple and cherry). He said folks in St. Louis preferred it to the stronger flavor of hickory used down South. I was born and raised down South, so I prefer the hickory.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1