The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Papusas, anyone?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 33
Author Message
Earl of Sandwich

  • Total Posts: 600
  • Joined: 12/21/2007
  • Location: hamilton, OH
Papusas, anyone? Wed, 12/26/07 7:14 AM (permalink)
I love the Salvadoran food papusas. I've had them on the west coast but only seen one other place, in Chattanooga, TN of all places, that offers them. I actually bought frozen ones at Jungle Jim's. Does anyone know where to find papusas where you live?
 
#1
    BuddyRoadhouse

    • Total Posts: 4074
    • Joined: 12/10/2004
    • Location: Des Plaines, IL
    RE: Papusas, anyone? Wed, 12/26/07 6:38 PM (permalink)
    Pupuserias have been popping up lately all over Chicago and its suburbs. There is one no more than six blocks from my home in Des Plaines. Five years ago I couldn't have told you what a pupusa is without looking it up. Now they are on their way to ubiquity.

    Buddy
     
    #2
      Pigiron

      • Total Posts: 1384
      • Joined: 5/11/2005
      • Location: Bergen County, NJ
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Papusas, anyone? Wed, 12/26/07 10:24 PM (permalink)
      There's a great papusa stand in Grand Central market in L.A.
       
      #3
        mr chips

        • Total Posts: 4715
        • Joined: 2/19/2003
        • Location: portland, OR
        RE: Papusas, anyone? Thu, 12/27/07 12:03 AM (permalink)
        I had my first papusa in a Salvadoran restaurant in the Adams-Morgan neighborhood in Washington, D.C. about 25 years ago. Don't know if the place is still there, Currently my papusa needs are met by El Palenque, a Salvadoran restaurant in the Sellwood area of Portland.
         
        #4
          tarragon

          • Total Posts: 354
          • Joined: 7/23/2003
          • Location: Hyattsville, MD
          RE: Papusas, anyone? Thu, 12/27/07 12:38 AM (permalink)
          The DC area has a good contingent of Salvadorans, because there are pupuserias all over the place, including the mobile truck variety. It's been a while since I had one (even though there's a pretty good pupuseria within a few blocks of my home), but they're pretty good; I've had both meat and cheese filled varieties too. And the cabbage "slaw" is quite good!
           
          #5
            Earl of Sandwich

            • Total Posts: 600
            • Joined: 12/21/2007
            • Location: hamilton, OH
            RE: Papusas, anyone? Thu, 12/27/07 8:24 AM (permalink)
            Anybody know of a papusa shop in Ohio?
             
            #6
              mland520

              • Total Posts: 485
              • Joined: 9/8/2006
              • Location: Dallas, TX
              RE: Papusas, anyone? Thu, 12/27/07 8:43 AM (permalink)
              There is a local chain, which feature Salvadoran style food, Gloria's, here in the DFW area and their lunch menu offers papusa's and they are wonderful- they are served along side a really spicy cabbage salad- and make a great, not too heavy choice for lunch.
               
              #7
                annenurse2002

                • Total Posts: 2
                • Joined: 1/19/2008
                • Location: pickerington, OH
                RE: Papusas, anyone? Sat, 01/19/08 9:29 PM (permalink)
                only know one in columbus oh, very good pupusas even my husband likes them and he is from el salvador.
                Restaurante Salvadoreno 3208 allegheney ave col oh 43209 ph# 614-338-0552. they might not speak much english. it's in a bad neighborhood near the airport so come during the daytime. lol
                 
                #8
                  Earl of Sandwich

                  • Total Posts: 600
                  • Joined: 12/21/2007
                  • Location: hamilton, OH
                  RE: Papusas, anyone? Sat, 01/19/08 9:50 PM (permalink)
                  THanks, Anne. Next time I'm up that way I'll check it out( in the daytime, of course).
                   
                  #9
                    Earl of Sandwich

                    • Total Posts: 600
                    • Joined: 12/21/2007
                    • Location: hamilton, OH
                    RE: Papusas, anyone? Thu, 04/3/08 6:52 AM (permalink)
                    Taco Rico, in Chattanooga, on Main St is a great little Hispanic restaurant. Very clean, very authentic. It will help immeasurably if you speak Spanish. Excellent papusas, and good food in general. All freshly made.
                     
                    #10
                      dctourist

                      • Total Posts: 325
                      • Joined: 7/23/2004
                      • Location: Washington, DC
                      RE: Papusas, anyone? Thu, 04/3/08 7:17 AM (permalink)
                      Yes, as Tarragon said, they're everywhere in the DC area - we have a very large population of Salvadorans, and they own many if not most of the Mexican restaurants here (just as Koreans own most of the sushi places).

                      Please note the correct spelling: pupusa. (Nothing to do with "papoose").
                       
                      #11
                        BDavey

                        • Total Posts: 9
                        • Joined: 5/29/2008
                        • Location: Des Moines, IA
                        RE: Papusas, anyone? Thu, 05/29/08 3:18 PM (permalink)
                        We have several places in Des Moines, IA where you can get these. My favorite happens to be a stand at the downtown farmers market on Saturday mornings. Made fresh right there, make for a great breakfast.
                         
                        #12
                          Earl of Sandwich

                          • Total Posts: 600
                          • Joined: 12/21/2007
                          • Location: hamilton, OH
                          RE: Papusas, anyone? Sun, 06/1/08 9:22 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by BDavey

                          We have several places in Des Moines, IA where you can get these. My favorite happens to be a stand at the downtown farmers market on Saturday mornings. Made fresh right there, make for a great breakfast.


                          I would have never suspected Des Moines being a place for these Salvadoran food.
                           
                          #13
                            BDavey

                            • Total Posts: 9
                            • Joined: 5/29/2008
                            • Location: Des Moines, IA
                            RE: Papusas, anyone? Mon, 06/2/08 1:39 PM (permalink)
                            The latino population has exploded in the last 15 years in Iowa. I think a lot of its due to the meat packing/home building industries but its lead to a much more diverse restaurant scene. We also have a pretty large SE Asian community in town, which again has led to great Tai, Vietnamese and Lao cuisine. I know its a different thread but the soup Pho is out of site around here.
                             
                            #14
                              wanderingjew

                              • Total Posts: 7379
                              • Joined: 1/18/2001
                              • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Papusas, anyone? Mon, 06/2/08 2:24 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by BDavey

                              The latino population has exploded in the last 15 years in Iowa. I think a lot of its due to the meat packing/home building industries but its lead to a much more diverse restaurant scene. We also have a pretty large SE Asian community in town, which again has led to great Tai, Vietnamese and Lao cuisine. I know its a different thread but the soup Pho is out of site around here.


                              I am so amazed at some of the comments that the Asian and Hispanic populations have "exploded" in these parts of the midwest.

                              I have friends from NYC who visit Iowa and Kansas on a regular basis on business and when they return home, their comments are always "I've never been to a place that was so white!"

                              It's all what you're used to... If you think these ethnic populations are huge, come to NYC or Miami or LA you would be in for true cultural shock...

                               
                              #15
                                zataar

                                • Total Posts: 1440
                                • Joined: 4/5/2004
                                • Location: kansas city, MO
                                RE: Papusas, anyone? Mon, 06/2/08 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                Although there is a sort of immigrant poputation explosion going on in the Midwest, it's hard to see it like you would in LA or NY. Everything is so segregated here, at least in KC, it can be difficult to realize it's not so white at all. Compared to LA and NY, it is, but it isn't as white as it appears. I went to a part of town I don't normally shop in looking for an Iraqi bakery I'd heard about. The bakery alluded me, but the area I was in was almost totally inhabited with Kuwaitis and Iraqis. It was quite interesting. There is also an area that is predominantly Central American. KC seems to be one of the more segregated cities I've been in! Much more so than St. Louis, Minneapolis and other midwest cities.
                                 
                                #16
                                  Earl of Sandwich

                                  • Total Posts: 600
                                  • Joined: 12/21/2007
                                  • Location: hamilton, OH
                                  RE: Papusas, anyone? Mon, 06/2/08 10:45 PM (permalink)
                                  Zataar, my in-laws live very near KCMO & I'll be visiting there in July. If you can at least let me know where in KC the Iraqi part of town is I'd apppreciate it. I'd love to check it out.
                                  I can't remember the section of town but last summer I ate at a great Ethiopian restaurant.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    lexa99

                                    • Total Posts: 1
                                    • Joined: 7/13/2008
                                    • Location: bellmore, NY
                                    RE: Papusas, anyone? Sun, 07/13/08 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                    I love papusas and I dont have an easy time finding them on Long Island. The last amazing papusas I had were in Brooklyn. I had gone to the Brooklyn Flea Market and to my surprise there was a stall of papusa makers from Red Hook, Brooklyn. It seems that in Red Hook adjacent to the soccer fields there are many vendors of various latino cuisines. http://events.nytimes.com/2006/08/23/dining/reviews/23unde.html

                                    Their papusas were fantastic, I bought the beef, the chicken and the zuccini and cheese, along with the cabbage and red sauce I was in heaven. Now if only I cound find a place on long island that makes them.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      zataar

                                      • Total Posts: 1440
                                      • Joined: 4/5/2004
                                      • Location: kansas city, MO
                                      RE: Papusas, anyone? Sun, 07/13/08 7:22 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Earl of Sandwich

                                      Zataar, my in-laws live very near KCMO & I'll be visiting there in July. If you can at least let me know where in KC the Iraqi part of town is I'd apppreciate it. I'd love to check it out.
                                      I can't remember the section of town but last summer I ate at a great Ethiopian restaurant.


                                      Earl, I just saw this post, so sorry for a long delayed reply. The area of town is on the east side, around Wilson Road, Belmont and St. John Blvd. I have to say, it is not an area to be exploring if you aren't familiar with it. My husband was not too pleased when I told him where I'd been.

                                      Was the Ethiopian Restaurant at the Farmer's Market or 39th Street in Midtown? The 39th Street place is sadly closed. It was the best! Blue Nile in the City Market downtown is very good, though.
                                       
                                      #19
                                        webean

                                        • Total Posts: 42
                                        • Joined: 8/19/2001
                                        • Location: LINCOLN, NE
                                        RE: Papusas, anyone? Sun, 07/13/08 8:41 PM (permalink)
                                        Two places in Lincoln NE.
                                        El Rancho at 27th and O St
                                        El Salvador on NW 48th St in the Airpark section of the city

                                        Both are quite good
                                        El Salvador has many native dishes
                                        Place is very small,,may be hard to find...but worth the trip
                                         
                                        #20
                                          Earl of Sandwich

                                          • Total Posts: 600
                                          • Joined: 12/21/2007
                                          • Location: hamilton, OH
                                          RE: Papusas, anyone? Mon, 07/14/08 12:15 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by zataar

                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Earl of Sandwich

                                          Zataar, my in-laws live very near KCMO & I'll be visiting there in July. If you can at least let me know where in KC the Iraqi part of town is I'd apppreciate it. I'd love to check it out.
                                          I can't remember the section of town but last summer I ate at a great Ethiopian restaurant.


                                          Earl, I just saw this post, so sorry for a long delayed reply. The area of town is on the east side, around Wilson Road, Belmont and St. John Blvd. I have to say, it is not an area to be exploring if you aren't familiar with it. My husband was not too pleased when I told him where I'd been.

                                          Was the Ethiopian Restaurant at the Farmer's Market or 39th Street in Midtown? The 39th Street place is sadly closed. It was the best! Blue Nile in the City Market downtown is very good, though.


                                          I believe we were near the Farmer's Market area. It was an area of mixed etnic establishments and the Ethiopian place was really good. I'll be out there this weekend.
                                           
                                          #21
                                            caratzas

                                            • Total Posts: 216
                                            • Joined: 4/9/2004
                                            • Location: Bridgeport, CT
                                            RE: Papusas, anyone? Tue, 07/15/08 12:52 AM (permalink)
                                            I'm just starting to notice pupuserias popping up here and there in the northern suburbs of NYC and Fairfield County, Connecticut. It's about time, if you ask me.
                                             
                                            #22
                                              Earl of Sandwich

                                              • Total Posts: 600
                                              • Joined: 12/21/2007
                                              • Location: hamilton, OH
                                              RE: Papusas, anyone? Wed, 07/16/08 8:02 AM (permalink)
                                              Salvadoran food seems to be gaining in popularity and availability around the country.
                                               
                                              #23
                                                Danmel

                                                • Total Posts: 193
                                                • Joined: 7/25/2004
                                                • Location: Long Island, NY
                                                RE: Papusas, anyone? Sun, 07/20/08 6:05 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by lexa99

                                                I love papusas and I dont have an easy time finding them on Long Island. The last amazing papusas I had were in Brooklyn. I had gone to the Brooklyn Flea Market and to my surprise there was a stall of papusa makers from Red Hook, Brooklyn. It seems that in Red Hook adjacent to the soccer fields there are many vendors of various latino cuisines. http://events.nytimes.com/2006/08/23/dining/reviews/23unde.html

                                                Their papusas were fantastic, I bought the beef, the chicken and the zuccini and cheese, along with the cabbage and red sauce I was in heaven. Now if only I cound find a place on long island that makes them.
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  Danmel

                                                  • Total Posts: 193
                                                  • Joined: 7/25/2004
                                                  • Location: Long Island, NY
                                                  RE: Papusas, anyone? Sun, 07/20/08 6:08 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by Danmel

                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by lexa99

                                                  I love papusas and I dont have an easy time finding them on Long Island. The last amazing papusas I had were in Brooklyn. I had gone to the Brooklyn Flea Market and to my surprise there was a stall of papusa makers from Red Hook, Brooklyn. It seems that in Red Hook adjacent to the soccer fields there are many vendors of various latino cuisines. http://events.nytimes.com/2006/08/23/dining/reviews/23unde.html

                                                  Their papusas were fantastic, I bought the beef, the chicken and the zuccini and cheese, along with the cabbage and red sauce I was in heaven. Now if only I cound find a place on long island that makes them.




                                                  There are a bunch of papuserias in Brentwood- there is also a place called Papuseria Melissa on New York Avenue in Huntington Station. There are other central American restaurants on NY Avenue. If you ride down CR 13- Crooked Hill Road, you'll find a bunch of Salvadoran and other Central America restaurants.
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    jbburn

                                                    • Total Posts: 19
                                                    • Joined: 5/30/2003
                                                    • Location: New Buffalo, MI
                                                    RE: Papusas, anyone? Sun, 07/20/08 7:11 PM (permalink)
                                                    there is even a pupusaria in south bend, indiana.you can eat like a pig for cheap. it is to me a, non salvadorean very good.my colombian wife and sister in law consider them to be very good.
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      Navy_Brat913

                                                      • Total Posts: 179
                                                      • Joined: 1/22/2008
                                                      • Location: Bremerton, WA
                                                      RE: Papusas, anyone? Tue, 12/2/08 12:58 AM (permalink)
                                                      Here in the Northern VA area pupusarias are popping up everywhere! We have a large South American population here in Woodbridge, and you can't walk 2 blocks without a pupusaria, taco cart, charcoal chicken place or all around "Mexican" joint. I haven't actually had pupusas yet, but I intend to go to one that opened behind the CVS I work at near Dixie Bones, before I move to Seattle later this month. The hispanic woman I work with eats there occasionally, and while she prefers another in the area, that probably means its pretty good. It's usually packed, with a very mixed crowd, and the prices are very reasonable.
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        HollyDolly

                                                        • Total Posts: 1065
                                                        • Joined: 1/18/2006
                                                        • Location: Schertz, TX
                                                        RE: Papusas, anyone? Fri, 12/5/08 3:25 PM (permalink)
                                                        There might be some place in San Antonio that has them,but not sure where.I want to try Dona Tota's Gorditas,which is a chain from Mexico.
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          Earl of Sandwich

                                                          • Total Posts: 600
                                                          • Joined: 12/21/2007
                                                          • Location: hamilton, OH
                                                          RE: Papusas, anyone? Fri, 12/5/08 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                                          Salvadoran food and restaurants are one of the fastest growing ethnic foods in the country.
                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            dexmat

                                                            • Total Posts: 113
                                                            • Joined: 11/20/2008
                                                            RE: Papusas, anyone? Wed, 12/10/08 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                                            It's spelled pupusa around here. I don't know how many Salvadoran restaurants there are but they're all over town, many concentrated in a suburb called Bellaire which also has lots of other Central American restaurants, sometimes 2 pupuserias to a block, some dives, some much nicer. Pupusas are so popular they've started popping up on Mexican restaurant menus but they're usually not as good.

                                                            I like the revueltas with chicken or pork and cheese. I like it that they're hand-made and freshly made although the one time I took a chance on one at a Mexican restaurant I thought they used a frozen one.

                                                            Some pupuserias refuse to serve beer for religious reasons; they don't do as much business!

                                                            I also like Salvadoran tamales and riguas, which are like corn fritters, served with Salvadoran crema. That loroco, though, is nasty stuff.
                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 33

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com