The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Parker's in Greenville NC?

Charlottean

• Total Posts: 4
Parker's in Greenville NC? Wed, 09/24/03 1:01 PM (permalink)
Parker's BBQ in Wilson is always mentioned----does Parker's in Greenville still exist? I graduated several years ago from ECU and used to enjoy eating there. Since I haven't seen it mentioned, I wonder if it has gone downhill in quality. Somebody update me quickly because we are heading to eastern NC tomorrow(9/25)! Gotta have that BBQ fix!

mobley

• Total Posts: 31
    RE: Parker's in Greenville NC? Wed, 09/24/03 1:21 PM (permalink)
    The last time I was in G-ville, Parker's was still going...BUT why bother? A scant 10 miles up Hwy 11 in Ayden, sits the grand shrine of all BBQ joints...Pete's Skylight! Not to mention B's down the road in Greenville. The above mentioned cook with WOOD not gas. It ain't BBQ if it ain't wood smoked!

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
      RE: Parker's in Greenville NC? Wed, 09/24/03 5:05 PM (permalink)
      I'm with Mobley. Skylight and Wilber's (on Goldsboro by-pass) both cook with wood embers and are much better than Parker's. BUT--as close as Charlotte is to Lexington and Shelby, you can get the best BBQ in the state at Lexington # 1 in Lexington and 2nd best at Bridges BBQ lodge in Shelby. No need to go down east unless you just hanker for the bitters in that vinegar sauce and want to eat just any part of the pig instead of the prime cuts that western NC style uses.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
        RE: Parker's in Greenville NC? Sun, 12/28/03 1:25 AM (permalink)
        The Greenville Parker's on S. Memorial Drive is still open.

I made a special trip to Greenville on vacation last August. I drove over from Durham for the night so I could visit B's Barbecue the next day for their legendary barbeque chicken. B's was great. On the way to Greenville, I ate supper at the original Parker's (now operated by former employees) on Hwy. 301 in Wilson. As Hillbilly noted, Parker's doesn't cook their pork over wood coals any more. The Greenville Parker's doesn't either.

I enjoyed my visit to the Wilson Parker's, because they offered an AYCE pork barbeque and fried chicken family style dinner with a bunch of sides and I was very hungry. The food came out hot and fresh, but wasn't memorable at all; I left the bland, over-cooked Brunswick Stew untouched. I did like the East Carolina style vinegar and red pepper table sauce; it made the chopped pork taste pretty good, even if it wasn't smoked.

I had never visited the original Parker's and just wanted to see what they were about.

For outstanding barbequed pork done slow and low over hardwood coals, skip Parker's and do visit Wilber's or The Skylight Inn. They have the best chopped whole pig in that part of the state. You won't be dissapointed.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com