2008/09/26 00:21:38 (permalink)

Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY

Something to look forward to in December

http://www.kentucky.com/211/story/535667.html

30 Replies Related Threads

ces1948
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/09/26 11:50:20 (permalink)
    My wife and I ate there while on a trip to Lexington probably around 2003. The food was pretty good though the place was quite run down. I enjoyed it more than my wife as cleanliness in a place is a sticky point with her.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/09/26 12:25:04 (permalink)

Retro Drive-Ins seem to be the rage in many locations. I wish these fellows luck in restoring this old landmark. I don't think I want to pretend to be in 'Happy Days' again, but we might stop when we do a Keenland run each Spring!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6195
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/09/26 13:12:57 (permalink)
    Yes,like 'em or hate 'em,Sonics are springing up everywhere!!!!
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/09/26 13:38:24 (permalink)
    This is wonderful news. My husband and I had lunch in our car at the Parkette a couple of years ago when we were visiting Lexington en route to Beaumont Inn in Harrodsburg. The food was not very good, I'm afraid, but the building (and signage) is terrific.
    jman
    • Total Posts : 1318
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/09/27 06:58:49 (permalink)
    I was born and raised in Lexington (I'm 60) and a trip to Parkette was the extent of eating out for us, just as it was for many Lexingtonians. At that time there were no fast food restaurants and very few sit-down restaurants in Lexington.

I played on a Pony League baseball team sponsored by Parkette. We were the Poorboys. Everytime we won a game, we got a free Poorboy.

When I read the article, I noted that one of the new owners emphasized that they planned to serve food the way it was when Parkette was in its heyday. I hope they can do that and still be able to compete. The Poorboy Basket, a double decker with good-sized patties, a slice of tomato, a thick slice of onion, lettuce and mustard, with a big mound of FF's, made for a great meal. Their fried chicken was tops also.

I now live almost 40 miles from it now, but if they bring it back the way it was, I'll be a regular customer again.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/09/27 13:04:34 (permalink)
    We love the Parkette. I haven't noticed a decline in their food, but perhaps that's because I haven't been there for some time. The Poorboy Basket was great the last time I had it. I'm glad that it's being brought back to the way it was in its prime.

I'd go more often, but with Wilson's Pool Hall and its Willy Burger and fantastic onion rings right here in Versailles, there's no need to drive into LEX. Burger Shake on New Circle Road in LEX is also a blast from the past and quite good --- it hasn't changed in decades.

Andrea
    allyk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/10/03 12:35:18 (permalink)
    I visited the Parkette several times back in the 80s as a seminary student. Glad to know it's still around.
    Frankman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/10/03 12:51:17 (permalink)
    I wish there were more people like tha Kaplan boys.
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/11/16 17:13:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndreaB

We love the Parkette. I haven't noticed a decline in their food, but perhaps that's because I haven't been there for some time. The Poorboy Basket was great the last time I had it. I'm glad that it's being brought back to the way it was in its prime.

Andrea

Hi, Andrea -

Please tell me what's in the "Fish Box". I always have to smile when I see "Fish Boxes" on the sign in front.
    AndreaB
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/11/16 18:03:13 (permalink)
    Hi Sandy --- I think the Fish Box has a few pieces of fried fish, french fries, cole slaw, and hushpuppies. I usually go for the Poorboy, but have never had anything bad at Parkette. It's truly a blast from the past.

Andrea
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/11/16 19:11:54 (permalink)
    Too bad it comes up a 404 error. Unfortunately I have no clue what this post was about.
    britt
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/11/16 19:43:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard
    Yes,like 'em or hate 'em,Sonics are springing up everywhere!!!!

Leethebard; Dearfolk,
    I would't know a Sonic from an atonal brass concerto... can't say I've ever been to one; can't say I've ever wanted to go. Mngpf. Just another lousy chain restaurant.
    Unchaining My Heart, Ort. Carlton in Nearly-As-Funky-As-Ray-Charles Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/11/16 19:50:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by brittneal
    Too bad it comes up a 404 error. Unfortunately I have no clue what this post was about.
    britt

Britt; Dearfolk,
    The same problem occurred when I tried to read the story. Maybe someone will find a link to something via Google and report back here.
    Apparently it concerns the restoration of a Roadfood-landmark-type drive-in restaurant in Lexington, Ky. by some people named Kaplan. I don't know whether their family originally owned the place or not.
    Bully for them... I hope the place succeeds beyond anyone's wildest dreams. We need more places like that... retro because it's OLD, not because it's groovy to try to be retro... that's trying too hard. Yawn.
    If I wanted retro, I'd go eat at The Varsity. Thanks, but The Majestic on Ponce de Leon is far more my speed... even if it's 69 miles from me as I type these words!
    Athenianly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing 30601-Central.
    jman
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/11/17 08:31:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
    britt

Britt; Dearfolk,
    The same problem occurred when I tried to read the story. Maybe someone will find a link to something via Google and report back here.
    Apparently it concerns the restoration of a Roadfood-landmark-type drive-in restaurant in Lexington, Ky. by some people named Kaplan. I don't know whether their family originally owned the place or not.
    Bully for them... I hope the place succeeds beyond anyone's wildest dreams. We need more places like that... retro because it's OLD, not because it's groovy to try to be retro... that's trying too hard. Yawn.
    If I wanted retro, I'd go eat at The Varsity. Thanks, but The Majestic on Ponce de Leon is far more my speed... even if it's 69 miles from me as I type these words!
    Athenianly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing 30601-Central.

Unfortunately, the Lexington Herald-Loser doesn't archive articles very long, but here's the article saved at another site: http://www.kentucky.com/698/story/535667.html

Joe Smiley, the original owner and a very affluent man, was Jewish and his wife was Pentecostal. Joe never opened the Parkette on Sundays. His wife was killed in a car wreck about forty years ago as they were returning from a vacation in Florida. He later married one of his employees, Parley Abrams, a girl I went to school with. She grew up in one of the poorest areas in Lexington. There probably was an age difference of at least twenty years. They were married for many years before he died. As long as Joe was living, he continued to keep the Parkette closed on Sundays in memory of his first wife.

Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/11/17 18:42:38 (permalink)
    Thanks, Andrea. Due to a change in my job responsibilities, I'll be getting to Lexington from time to time. I'll definitely stop at the Parkette. Maybe, I'll try the Poor Boy, but I'm still intrigued by the concept of "Fish Boxes".

jman - Thanks for the article.

See, right there on the sign: "Fish Boxes"!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2008/11/17 19:14:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jman
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
    quote:
    ... Joe Smiley, the original owner and a very affluent man, was Jewish and his wife was Pentecostal. Joe never opened the Parkette on Sundays. His wife was killed in a car wreck about forty years ago as they were returning from a vacation in Florida. He later married one of his employees, Parley Abrams, a girl I went to school with. She grew up in one of the poorest areas in Lexington. There probably was an age difference of at least twenty years. They were married for many years before he died. As long as Joe was living, he continued to keep the Parkette closed on Sundays in memory of his first wife.

Jman,
    Thanks for relating that amazing story. Let's hope the Kaplan brothers do well over there, especially considering the road was paved... wasn't it a few years ago? -- Now they'll have to watch for customers!
    Unmisteakingly, Ort. Carlton in Cheese, It's Athens, Georgia.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/04/05 23:29:11 (permalink)

My wife and I were on A Keeneland trip this weekend and our Saturday night dinner plans took us past the Parkette Drive In.  I've always had a soft spot for places like this, but as we had reservations and were pushing it due to my GPS trying to take me on a "scenic route", I couldn't stop to look around.  Today we drove back before heading to Keeneland and I was able to get some pictures of the place.  It's an amazingly well preserved 1951 drive in, although I understand that they're having quality control problems related to starting up with a new crew.  After snapping some pictures, I hopped back into the car and told my wife "Now you know what I do on my days off."  She just rolled her eyes.  Anyway, I'll be making a trip back for a lunch or dinner stop sometime (hopefully) this spring.  Anyone who wants to check out the pics I got today is welcome to sniff around over on www.flickr.com.  As it is here, it is over there, also.  I'm the only Wallyum around.
    AndreaB
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/04/06 07:26:40 (permalink)
    Was the Parkette open Wallyum?  Last time we drove by (a few weeks ago) on our way to Sam's Club it hadn't yet opened.  I hope the food quality is up to the old standards and that they've kept the old menu. 

Andrea
    jman
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/04/06 07:42:19 (permalink)
    AndreaB

Was the Parkette open Wallyum?  Last time we drove by (a few weeks ago) on our way to Sam's Club it hadn't yet opened.  I hope the food quality is up to the old standards and that they've kept the old menu. 

Andrea

Andrea, I posted THIS when it reopened.  I've heard from a few friends and family that have gone there since the reopening and the reviews have been mostly good-  from, Hey, it's almost like old times, to it's OK, but the service is slow.  I do know they were covered up with business the first couple of weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had a few problems.
    AndreaB
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/04/06 09:28:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Jman --- I'll check it out this weekend.  I wasn't around to enjoy it in the older times, but ate there in the 80's as a teenager and in the 90's when my office was close to New Circle Road.   We've all missed Parkette, and the hubs and I will pay it a visit this weekend and hope to return with a good report.

Andrea
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/04/06 20:40:15 (permalink)
    AndreaB

Andrea

Yes, and it was PACKED when we drove past on the way to dinner on Saturday night.
    rumaki
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/05/13 11:27:45 (permalink)
    Any updates on the Parkette?

My husband and I are going to Beaumont Inn for a few days next week, and would like to go to the Parkette for lunch one day.

Beaumont Inn doesn't serve dinner in the dining room on Mondays and Tuesdays,  so we're planning to eat in their Old Owl Tavern one night, and go to Hall's on the River in Winchester another night.  We also want to go to the Science Hill Inn in Shelbyville for lunch one day (we've never tried it), and will go to the Greyhound Tavern for lunch when my husband drops me off at the Cincinnati airport (I'm flying in to Lexington and out of Cincinnati).  The Greyhound has what I think is one of the best Hot Browns in the area.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.  We've been to the Claudia Sanders Dinner House many years ago, before the fire.  We've visited the Kentucky Horse Park and Woodford Reserve distillery in Versailles several times on previous trips, as well as the Mary Todd Lincoln house in Lexington, the battlefield at Perryville, the museums and Constitution Square in Danville, Old Talbott Tavern, the Civil War museums and My Old Kentucky Home in Bardstown,  numerous antique shops in the area, and the Joseph-Beth bookshop in Lexington.

Thanks!  

AndreaB
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/05/13 13:26:40 (permalink)
    We were just at the Parkette a week or so ago for lunch and it was very good.  They have a diner now as well.  I had the Chicago Style dog and my husband had the Smiley Boy.  All very enjoyable.

If you're going to have dinner in Lexington, Columbia's, The Atomic Cafe, and Marikka's Restaurant and Bier Stube are all very good as well, as is the Merrick Inn.

Andrea
    rumaki
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/05/13 13:46:17 (permalink)
    Thank you, Andrea.

I forgot to mention that I had a speaking engagement at UK last fall, and was taken to dinner at the Merrick Inn and to lunch at deSha's, and enjoyed them both.
    We're unlikely to eat in downtown Lexington this trip, but it is always useful to have recommendations for the future.  We come to Kentucky at least twice a year.
    jman
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/05/13 14:36:47 (permalink)
    rumaki

I forgot to mention that I had a speaking engagement at UK last fall, and was taken to dinner at the Merrick Inn and to lunch at deSha's, and enjoyed them both.

Coach Calipari twittered that he ate at the Merrick Inn last night and had the best fried chicken he'd ever eaten.  He's probably a better basketball coach than he is a food critic though.

rumaki
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/05/13 14:39:58 (permalink)
    The fried chicken at the Merrick Inn WAS good.   I enjoyed it. But  I wouldn't call it the best I've ever had.

I think that "prize" goes to Hollyhock Hill in Indianapolis, at least for me.  I've eaten there many times since childhood. I was there most recently at the end of April, and it was as delicious as ever.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/05/13 16:07:28 (permalink)
    I had the fried chicken dinner at the Parkette some years back; the food was only so-so, but the look of the place and the atmosphere were great. It's wonderful news that the Parkette has a new lease on life, and I hope to get back there soon.
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/05/13 21:22:28 (permalink)
    rumaki
    ...My husband and I are going to Beaumont Inn for a few days next week, and would like to go to the Parkette for lunch one day. ...

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.  We've been to the Claudia Sanders Dinner House many years ago, before the fire.  We've visited the Kentucky Horse Park and Woodford Reserve distillery in Versailles several times on previous trips, as well as the Mary Todd Lincoln house in Lexington, the battlefield at Perryville, the museums and Constitution Square in Danville, Old Talbott Tavern, the Civil War museums and My Old Kentucky Home in Bardstown,  numerous antique shops in the area, and the Joseph-Beth bookshop in Lexington.

Thanks!  

Have you ever been to Frankfort?  Daniel Boone's gravesite {I know this is controversial} is overlooking the city and Rebecca Ruth Candies {they have tours} is right around the corner from the State Capitol building.  The only place I've eaten in Frankfort is Serafini Italian Restaurant & Bar, and it was pretty good.

http://www.visitfrankfort.com/

How about Midway, KY?  It is a few miles north of Versailles on Rt. 62.  It is a really cute little town with shops and restaurants, with the train tracks running down the middle of the road.  The drive between Versailles and Midway is all horse farms and very scenic.

http://www.midwayky.net/mw_businesses.htm

rumaki
    Re:Parkette Drive-In, Lexington, KY 2009/05/14 10:38:54 (permalink)
    We have been to Frankfort a couple of times -- both times on a Sunday.   Last  time (last November), we went to a wonderful used bookstore there and bought many (too many) books.

We are big devotees of Rebecca Ruth candy.  I've never been on the factory tour, but we've bought candy at their "roadside stand" in Versailles on multiple occasions.  I'm really sorry they stopped making the Kentucky marzipan, which was my favorite.

And, yes, we've been to Midway, too. Love the atmosphere, and the antique shops.  My husband always says he'd love to move there and teach at the college there. I'd like to try the Holly Hill Inn sometime.

In one of the the antique shops, a couple of years ago, I bought a wonderful French silver individual "hot chocolate" pot that I use most Sunday mornings.

Thank you!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1