Parking and Drive-Thru

Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
2005/11/06 02:48:01 (permalink)

Parking and Drive-Thru

Hello All,
I live 5 miles outside of a BOOMING city, Harrisonburg, Va.
We have experienced a tremendous growth of food places. It amazes me to see how full the parking lots are, often to the point that I will not drop in a place because I think my wait will be too long.
When you start a food business, how do you figure out how much parking will be needed, and do you worry about looking too full?
I, also, know that drive-thru space can be considered into the parking space equation. How much business do you have with drive-thru service?
I like drive-thru, but have found I get better quality of food by going into an establishment.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

7 Replies Related Threads

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Parking and Drive-Thru 2005/11/06 07:57:34 (permalink)
    The drive-thru concept was derived from the "laziness factor" of consumers. Can't quote the exact sources now, but the study found that a certain percentage of customers will not patronize a eating establishment if there is no drive-thru available. Something to do with their "perception" of speed of service. HA!!!

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Parking and Drive-Thru 2005/11/06 08:48:50 (permalink)
    I've worked for municipal governemnt in the engineering department in the past, parking space is usually dicated by ordinance such as X number of tables = X number of spaces required. Not all local governments are that fussy but mine sure was and is!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Parking and Drive-Thru 2005/11/06 09:34:06 (permalink)
    I use drive through because it is convenient. I do not have to get out of my car. Most of the time it is because I am not dressed appropiately.

I have noticed that some chains now have a double drive through. Apparently it is because the need is there.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    RE: Parking and Drive-Thru 2005/11/06 09:58:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

I've worked for municipal governemnt in the engineering department in the past, parking space is usually dicated by ordinance such as X number of tables = X number of spaces required. Not all local governments are that fussy but mine sure was and is!

City goverment is the key. One of my favorite local restuarants is looking to move to a new location and they have been stalled, at various points for various reasons, but the one that is giving them the most headache is a city ordinance requiring them to pay for a certain number of parking spaces, in advance, to the city government. Not a bad racket for our rather small town -- a new restaurant opens up, they sell the licensing for the parking spaces (for what sounds to me like an outrageous sum) and get their money up front, whether or not the restaurant succeeds.

The scary thing is that this place has their own, self-contained parking lot -- which is already paved and ready for business, on their own property. I am not sure how the city comes up with their formula for payment, but this sounds excessive to me, and a huge deterrance to new businesses.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Parking and Drive-Thru 2005/11/06 15:36:28 (permalink)
    Here in Portland something similiar has happened." It's A Beautiful Pizza" is a local place that moved across the street and was socked with a $40,000 environmental impact fee that was almost impossible for him to pay. The city allowed him a longer time to pay the fee as a result of public outrage but he still had to pay the fee. I thought it was outrageous then and still do.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    RE: Parking and Drive-Thru 2005/11/06 22:44:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mr chips

Here in Portland something similiar has happened." It's A Beautiful Pizza" is a local place that moved across the street and was socked with a $40,000 environmental impact fee that was almost impossible for him to pay. The city allowed him a longer time to pay the fee as a result of public outrage but he still had to pay the fee. I thought it was outrageous then and still do.

If I understood the folks at this restaurant correctly, the city is trying to hammer them for $250,000. I don't know much about the restaurant business ('cept for eating in them!), but that sounds like an obscene amount of money to me. How many steaks do you need to serve to recoup that money???
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Parking and Drive-Thru 2005/11/08 10:04:12 (permalink)

I have to go with Sundancer on this one. If I frequent a Drive-Thru it is through necessitiy, not convenience.

And for the love of Pete, the Mom with six kids somersaulting off the RV windows should NOT have to vacate the vehicle. Give her the food and let her leave us all with our serenity intact, hers included.

Copper

PS it figgers the gov't enters into it.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1