Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !!

Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2007/05/02 20:52:15 (permalink)

Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !!

Our 2nd stop on the morning tour was the Henpeck Market

from left to right : "cornbread salad" (a 1st for me. Yum!)
very fresh tasting cheeseburger; grilled pimento cheese
the Roadfood gang leaving the Henpeck

the final stop on the morning tour...Sylvan Park ("meat and 3")
I just took out a couple of pieces of pie, as I was trying to save myself a little for the afternoon tour

"life on the bus".... it was like being on a school fieldtrip.
We played games like "Stump the Sterns", cause Jane and Michael had some of their latest books to give away.
There's Michael in a typical pose , manning the microphone..
It sure made the bus ride entertaining !!

After a half hour "layover" back at the Loveless, I am off and running on the afternoon tour.
1st stop was Princes Hot Chicken

The "hot chicken" is on the left; the "mild" is on the right...(the mild still was plenty spicy)...enjoyed both types... now I've got to get back there cause I never did try the Medium!!

Swetts was our 2nd stop
I had the 1/4 rotisserie chicken with butternut squash casserole and creamed corn...along with both some regular cornbread, and some fried cornbread (which I learned looks like a pancake)
The chicken was very fresh tasting. I was'nt hungry at all, so I just had a little taste of everything , and wasted most of it... it was all worth it for the tastes and the pic!

Our final stop on our afternoon tour was Monell's which was near downtown Nashville

There's Mr. Chips, who flew in all the way from Portland, Oregon..
it was such a pleasure to be around him

Monells was a "pass it to your left" family style dinner...
I passed on the catfish, and just had my favorite dish--- some southern fried chicken !! It was another "hit"; nice light flakey batter..

There's lady Jane at the head of the Monell's table

There's Mark Bruno and Steven Rushmore, some very important Roadfood.com administrators, with some of our lovely southern Roadfood gals on the left.. from Louisville, Miss.

So I had fried chicken for 3 meals on Saturday -- breakfast at Loveless, lunch at Princes, and dinner at Monells..
Then I've got to throw in the grilled pimento cheese sandwich and burger from the Henpeck, and I had a complete "Roadfood" day !

Ellen

p.s. For those of you still with me, stay tuned for Part 3.
Sunday Brunch pics at Ellendale's, and other "apres-Roadfood bus" activities..

My fun did NOT end once the bus pulled back into the Loveless.

14 Replies Related Threads

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2129
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/02 21:55:54 (permalink)
    Fantastic photos!
    msdiner
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/02 22:04:07 (permalink)
    Ellen,
    These were great pictures! I'm salivating already even though it was just 4 days ago that I consumed all this food. Thanks for sharing them!
    Jean
    Memphis, TN
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/03 08:05:11 (permalink)
    It's great to relive the experience with those photos. I loved Swett's fried apples and squash casserole. The Prince's Hot Chicken was volcanic (and excellent) but I only ate a little. It was my fifth stop of the day. Morrell's food was such high quality and there was so much! By the way, those fine looking ladies are Lost In the Mail and her friend.
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/03 13:53:16 (permalink)
    I'm almost afraid to ask how that particular Sylvan Park outpost fared -- my experiences with any of the SP locations other than the original little white building in the Sylvan Park area of Murphy Road have been spotty at best... I hope it was good!!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/03 14:14:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pogophiles

I'm almost afraid to ask how that particular Sylvan Park outpost fared -- my experiences with any of the SP locations other than the original little white building in the Sylvan Park area of Murphy Road have been spotty at best... I hope it was good!!

The Sylvan Park report seemed to be mixed reviews....
    Plus, personally speaking I enjoyed the cafeteria style of Swett's better..
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10389
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/03 14:27:37 (permalink)
    pogophiles-
    For me, of the places on the morning tour, Sylvan Park was clearly not as good as the others.
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/03 16:34:33 (permalink)
    I was afraid of that. The original location is a very small white cinder-block building with just a handful of tables and probably couldn't handle the crush of a busload. I would encourage you to try it if you get a chance. It generally runs neck & neck with Swett's and Arnold's in my book...
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2978
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/03 17:07:43 (permalink)
    Only did the morning tour - my rank - Henpeck Market, Loveless, Puckett's and Sylvan Park, although, most often several visits are necessary.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/03 17:36:20 (permalink)
    Living only 145 miles from Nashville, I've been to many of those places several times. To soak up the culinary atmosphere of the city, you really need seven to ten days. There are so many good restaurants to try. And that's just in the city proper; surrounding the city limits are many more places to sample. Many roadfooders would do well do plan their vacations in Nashville.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/03 22:30:46 (permalink)
    quote:

I'll go with the flow: I thought Sylvan Park was eminently forgettable, with the (obviously canned) greens the only relatively decent part of the meal. Jan concurs.
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/03 23:03:56 (permalink)
    Where did you people go, the place on Franklin? Apart from the name, it has little in common with the one on Murphy.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/04 08:08:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:

I'll go with the flow: I thought Sylvan Park was eminently forgettable, with the (obviously canned) greens the only relatively decent part of the meal. Jan concurs.

sounds like I dodged a bullet then, as I just took out those 2 pieces of pie... cause they did'nt have the stuff I like (hot roast beef , turkey, fried chicken, etc) on the "saturday menu") .
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/04 13:05:03 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete -- From the picture it looks like the one on Franklin Road that used to contain Dennison's restaurant.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10389
    RE: Part 2 Nashville "Roadfood".... more pics !! 2007/05/04 13:14:13 (permalink)
    pogophiles-
    I have been to the Sylvan Park on Murphy Road and it was not a very good experience. But, I did get there at 7:45 (they close at 8:00) and they were out of just about everything. The dessert choices were down to chess pie and nothing else. Considering I already had chess pie twice earlier in the day, it was a disappointment.

I have heard enough good things about this place to want to go back and give it another try. And this time I will be a little earlier!

By the way, I don't want to give the impression that the Sylvan Park we ate at on the bus tour was terrible. It was just okay. But compared to the other three places we stopped at, it just wasn't in the same class.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1