Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More???

Author
tfrielin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 440
2009/05/30 16:35:00 (permalink)

Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More???

I just got back from the Pasquales in Gainesville, GA and am in a state of shock after learning from the owner that my all-time favorite menu item--the Hoggie (pronounced Hoagie, despite its spelling)---is no longer being offered.

She said they are no longer able to get the three meats from Corporate and so it is off the menu after being a staple for nearly fifty years. 

A Hoggie is a three Italian meat sandwich with melted mozeralla cheese and pizza sauce served on Pasquales wonderful garlic loaf. To me it was the best thing on the menu.

Evidentally, even though some guy in recent years had big plans to re-vitalize the old chain, something has gone awry and legal issues ensued.

The Gainesville store seemed prosperous, but if signature items like the Hoggie are going off the menu, I don't  know what Pasquales future is.

Bummer--one of my comfort foods for about the last forty five years--gone.

I assumed when she said they couldn't get re-supplied from Corporate, that that means all Pasqules no longer can make a Hoggie---can some Pasquales owners/experts out here confirm that assumption?

18 Replies Related Threads

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3146
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/05/30 17:27:27 (permalink)
    Is the Pasquale's there the same chain as we have in Ohio?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18706
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/05/30 18:16:09 (permalink)
    Are they prohibited from buying meats for any other source? After all, whatever the three meats might be, they'd be available from another source.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/05/30 18:20:39 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

Is the Pasquale's there the same chain as we have in Ohio?

Yes--the same. Pasquales was founded in Cincinnati in the 1950s and at some point, I believe, the corporate HQ moved to Birmingham, AL.

Their logo was (is) that styalized Italian guy with handle bar mustache holding up a pizza.

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/05/30 18:26:52 (permalink)
    What meats are they?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4596
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/05/30 20:31:41 (permalink)
    One would think that if one needed a certain meat, such as capiccola, sopressetta, chipped ham, genoa salami, whatever - one could find an alternate source

It isn't like Pasquale's corporate is the only italian/cured meat source in the world, aye?

Odd
    post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/05/30 20:35:34
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/05/30 20:42:50 (permalink)
    It makes no sense.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/05/31 09:59:19 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

What meats are they?

I'm not sure--It never occured to me to dissect a Hoggie before devouring. Salami, and something else, I guess?
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/05/31 10:02:37 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

One would think that if one needed a certain meat, such as capiccola, sopressetta, chipped ham, genoa salami, whatever - one could find an alternate source

It isn't like Pasquale's corporate is the only italian/cured meat source in the world, aye?

Odd

No, I'm sure one could recreate the sandwich. What's the name of that webite that is devoted to duplicating things like Big Mac sauce?   Ijust don't know what their meats were.

Pasquales always did maintain their recipies and evidentally their quality ontrol. That's why the Hoggie and their pizza toppings tasted the same today as they did when I was a kid in the '60s.

mikemcmillan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/08/12 22:47:01 (permalink)
    Pepperoncini's located in Forestdale, Alabama has the original Hoggie you are referring to. As a former employee of the chain you mentioned, I can assure you that is exactly what you are looking for.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/08/16 10:08:46 (permalink)
    mikemcmillan

Pepperoncini's located in Forestdale, Alabama has the original Hoggie you are referring to. As a former employee of the chain you mentioned, I can assure you that is exactly what you are looking for.

I still have family in Birmingham--the Crestwood neighborhood. Where is Forestdale in relation to Crestwood?

What is the status of the Pasquales chain?  That guy who was planning on revitalizing and expanding Pasquales apparently turned out to be something of a crook and none of the expansion plans moved forward as a result so I've been told by an investor.  
    HoggieEater
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/08/21 11:27:37 (permalink)
    I eat a Hoggie once or twice a month at the Pasquale's on 150 in Hoover, Al (Walmart/Academy sports shopping center). Still the same/still good...
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/08/21 11:38:48 (permalink)
    Can you get NY style pizza there or anywhere in your area?
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/08/21 11:47:18 (permalink)
    HoggieEater

I eat a Hoggie once or twice a month at the Pasquale's on 150 in Hoover, Al (Walmart/Academy sports shopping center). Still the same/still good...

Recently?

Hmm, I wonder why the Pasquales near us (Gainesville, GA) no longer has it on their menu???

Question:  That Hoover's Pasquales is relatively new, right?  I'll have to drive out here next trip in to Bham.

tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/08/21 11:50:54 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

Well, I'm not sure.

Here in Athens, GA we have a Johnny's New York Pizza place. It's obviously a chain (one of the two locations recently closed down, leaving only one) but I've never had a pizza in New York, so can't really compare our Johny's to the real thing.

I plan to remedy my shortcoming next time I'm in New York by going to Grimaldi's at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge and Patsy's up on the Upper East Side if I have the time to hit both.

What is the third "authentic" NY pizza place--is it Lombardi's?

NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/08/21 14:08:07 (permalink)
    tfrielin

NYPIzzaNut

Well, I'm not sure.

Here in Athens, GA we have a Johnny's New York Pizza place. It's obviously a chain (one of the two locations recently closed down, leaving only one) but I've never had a pizza in New York, so can't really compare our Johny's to the real thing.

I plan to remedy my shortcoming next time I'm in New York by going to Grimaldi's at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge and Patsy's up on the Upper East Side if I have the time to hit both.

What is the third "authentic" NY pizza place--is it Lombardi's?

I grew up in Yonkers NY but left NY in 1970 and have lived since then in Saragossa AL and greater Cincinnati so I have no clue about NY pizza restaurants.

But growing up in Yonkers (borders on The Bronx) you could go anywhere and great pizza pies.

It sadly has not been the case in Alabama or Ohio. 

tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/08/21 15:00:56 (permalink)
    ZoomingBill

NYPIzzaNut

Because that's the eventual point of every roadfood post according to you.

There are far worse obsessions, in my opinion!
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/08/21 15:43:51 (permalink)
    tfrielin

ZoomingBill

NYPIzzaNut

Because that's the eventual point of every roadfood post according to you.

There are far worse obsessions, in my opinion!
    Indubitably!

guapo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Pasquales Venerable Hoggie Sandwich--No More??? 2009/12/08 20:00:22 (permalink)
    pasqule's started by vince and pat gramaglia (sp ?) in cincinnati.
    franchise opened in birmingham
    my uncle who was an army buddy with vince and i opened one in west hartford,conn hoping to franchise it there.
    never got past the initial store which we closed after a year and a half.
    food was great,we weren't
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1