Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question

Author
Freezers-full-in-Alaska
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 132
2011/10/21 21:08:28 (permalink)

Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question

Ok, Got the call today from my HD for my plan review he said everything for my full mobile kitchen is a go with the exception of these 2 or should I say 3. So maybe someone out there could answer  this. I have to wait to Monday to make some phone calls everyone closed till then (Of course)

First - I have to get my water tested (I knew that) I wanted to use my well water but he was not sure if I could have to call the DEC water division. Where does everyone get your potable water have to remember I'm almost 2 hours from town.

Second - I have a 3 inch drain line plumbed into my septic tank that my family and friends use in the summer when they show up in their motor homes so they can dump thier tanks. So I wanted to use that to dump my gray & Black water its a 1000 tank but he was not sure on that either gave me a number

Third - I read on here all the time everyone is getting food from Costco/Sam's etc. They are asking me where will I be getting my food from ? What is the correct answer to give ?
Thanks for the info
The wife will be very happy we are almost ready to roll she does not know yet as she is out of state :)

26 Replies Related Threads

chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1989
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/21 22:09:09 (permalink)
    Freezers-full-in-Alaska

Ok, Got the call today from my HD for my plan review he said everything for my full mobile kitchen is a go with the exception of these 2 or should I say 3. So maybe someone out there could answer  this. I have to wait to Monday to make some phone calls everyone closed till then (Of course)

First - I have to get my water tested (I knew that) I wanted to use my well water but he was not sure if I could have to call the DEC water division. Where does everyone get your potable water have to remember I'm almost 2 hours from town.
    Any approved city water line, meaning anything on the grid. I could use my well also, if I wanted to get it tested.

Second - I have a 3 inch drain line plumbed into my septic tank that my family and friends use in the summer when they show up in their motor homes so they can dump thier tanks. So I wanted to use that to dump my gray & Black water its a 1000 tank but he was not sure on that either gave me a number

Our county does not allow home septic to be used to dump grey water. Must be in a commercial septic, sewer or have a waste hauler remove it, which is what I have done. I would not want to be dumping that sludge down my own septic system anyway, I see how much grease and food end up in the holding tank.
    I have a 160 gal tank next to the trailer that gets pumped every week or as needed. It's spendy at $150 a month, but I don't have to move to go dump.
    Third - I read on here all the time everyone is getting food from Costco/Sam's etc. They are asking me where will I be getting my food from ? What is the correct answer to give ?
    Thanks for the info
    The wife will be very happy we are almost ready to roll she does not know yet as she is out of state :)

If Costco or Sams is where you will be getting your stuff, then that's what you tell them. If you are buying your meat from Bob the butcher and your bread from Joe's bakery, or ABC supply, that's what you tell them.
    Freezers-full-in-Alaska
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/21 22:34:18 (permalink)
    Thanks chefbuba  Might have to go with the gray tank outside if they will not let me use my tank did not think of that idea. Ok on the food will let them know.

Thanks
    chefbuba
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/21 23:22:42 (permalink)
    How are you keeping your tanks fluid this winter??
    If you use a holding tank for your grey water you will need to use a stock tank heater in it.
    Freezers-full-in-Alaska
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/22 01:17:18 (permalink)
    chefbuba

If you use a holding tank for your grey water you will need to use a stock tank heater in it.

I was going to rig up a block heater if I had to use  an outside tank ,But your idea is soooo much better and easier  Gotta love this wealth of knowledge on the site
    chefbuba
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/22 01:57:25 (permalink)
    I have the tank heater plugged into an external gfi outlet on the trailer, last year it tripped sometime over the weekend, tank had about 5" of ice, that heater had it fluid again in 6-8 hrs.

pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2368
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/22 07:39:59 (permalink)
    If your dealing with a local butcher, he has to be USDA for you to resell. Chefbuba, remember the Italian sausage in Roslyn, Wa. That one is still making you mad
    post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/10/22 13:55:16
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/22 10:38:46 (permalink)
    The HD in my area would not use the test results from my well at home so it has to be a quarterly tested public water supply. Usually even the bar or restaurant down the road is a public water supply or the water from town hall. Most communities list public water supplies on the internet somewhere - you just need permission from the owner to use it. Lucky for me my sister owns a bar near me.

They would let me use my septic at home because it is engineered and oversized for my usage.
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/22 11:46:45 (permalink)
    Freezers-full-in-Alaska
      Where does everyone get your potable water have to remember I'm almost 2 hours from town.
    Second - I have a 3 inch drain line plumbed into my septic tank that my family and friends use in the summer when they show up in their motor homes so they can dump their tanks. So I wanted to use that to dump my gray & Black water its a 1000 tank but he was not sure on that either gave me a number

We live in campgrounds/RV parks. We use the water provided at our site. We also dump into the campgrounds commercial sewer system. We do not use fryers so no excess grease.

We have given the same answer in NC, TX, and NM... Sam's Club.

Freezers-full-in-Alaska
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/22 13:43:36 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone, The problem with the Rv dump is I live in a very small tourist town and Sept 15th the population drops by 75% and everything closes till May the next nearest one is almost 2 hours away and as far as the water almost all the business (Gas station,Bars,church,Senior centers) are all on wells no public services here
    Freezers-full-in-Alaska
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 16:18:25 (permalink)
    Ok can someone please !!! Tell me what I need to do about a holding tank for the gray water ? The people here at DEC Waste water divison are looking at me like I'm from Mars when I tell them what I need . They told me I have to call a proffession engineer and have him install and do plans and all this other B.S So I called him and hes about 90 and giving me all this B.S about I can not put an above ground tank "Not good for the enviroment" Give me a break. I'm only running 2 days a week thats 30 gallons a weekend. I live to far from a rv dump to go there. Someone please point me in a right direction before I   The church is going to let me use thier water so got that taken care of.
    post edited by Freezers-full-in-Alaska - 2011/10/24 16:20:12
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 17:02:39 (permalink)
    I assume there are many people in the area that are on a septic system? If that's correct call the company that pumps septic tanks and ask what they would charge to come empty your waste water tank. It may be cost prohibitive to get them to come to you, so can you go to them? They empty their tanks somewhere year round I'd think, so can you dump your waste water at there dump station?
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2368
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 17:19:15 (permalink)
    The Dr has spoken, I had a septic company pump out my trailer "Black and Gray water" for $45...............
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 17:25:45 (permalink)
    If that won't work, do you have any state parks with onsite campgrounds near by? Do they have a ranger on duty year round?

Or install a larger waste water tank in your unit and another in a truck bed. Use a small sludge pump, or a shop vac to pump your gray water to the truck tank once a month and haul your water to the nearest dump site. Be careful if you spill any of the water during transfer it may take two maybe 3 months to make a trip worthwhile. But I have no idea how you'd keep the water from freezing in the winter months while in route to dump it.

And don't be surprised to find some jerk in an office that will want you to get some special waste haulers permit or license. 

By the way and you most likely know this, but you can never dump scrap food debris especially meats, beans, cheese, any kind of grease and noodles,  in your sink system. If you do it will clog up your drain, on your gray water tank  in a heartbeat. We use paper towels to wipe out all of our pans before we wash them.

One other thought, our health department will allow us to put used frying oil into it's original container in our dumpster and send it to the landfill. Will yours allow that? If so why can't you put your gray water into five gallon buckets and send it to a landfill? It's just dish washing water right not from a toilet?
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/10/24 17:28:50
    Freezers-full-in-Alaska
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 17:55:24 (permalink)
    Thanks ,Here is my problem I live 2 hours (1 way) from the nearest septic tank dumper everybody up here in Alaska public rangers parks,campground ect is closed until May. All i want to do is put a 300-500 tanks out side  and have the septic guy dump it when it gets full. Buuuut  the lady in charge of DEC has never dealt with a mobile food trailer and she is telling me I need a engineer to do plans and have them install it,All that just to have a plastic tank in the yard
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 18:31:19 (permalink)
    Freezers-full-in-Alaska Thanks ,Here is my problem I live 2 hours (1 way) from the nearest septic tank dumper everybody up here in Alaska public rangers parks,campground ect is closed until May. All i want to do is put a 300-500 tanks out side  and have the septic guy dump it when it gets full. Buuuut  the lady in charge of DEC has never dealt with a mobile food trailer and she is telling me I need a engineer to do plans and have them install it,All that just to have a plastic tank in the yard

Look guy I can read, and so can everyone else on the forum. You just keep repeating your problem and should address why the answers submitted won't work. That may give someone an idea that may work. So read the replies a little more carefully. And then at least take time to answer them as submitted.

In your first post you wrote "So I wanted to use that to dump my gray & Black water its a 1000 tank but he was not sure on that either gave me a number. " You didn't finish the sentence.

So your telling me no one can get a septic tank cleaned out during the winter months, is that correct?

Why don't you go back to the DEC and ask if you can haul your own waste to a drop off site????

If there is no other way then get your engineering study done and follow the guidelines. An engineering firm doesn't usually install anything they just read the rules and draw up a plan. Then you have to follow that plan or hire someone to follow the plan. Then the engineering firm will inspect it and certify it. Then you take their letter to the city. The last time I did this it cost me $150.00 for plans for some trailer tie down straps.Then I built them for less than $200.00.

But I still want to know how are you going to keep an above ground tank contents from freezing during the winter months? Even if they would approve one which it doesn't look like they will.
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/10/24 18:38:48
    Freezers-full-in-Alaska
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 19:26:15 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ sorry to get you upset for asking a question . And you said you can read then you should of seen this post above about the freezing part
    chefbuba

I did not finish the the remark because it was Friday afternoon I could not call and talk to people until today. So after hours on the phone and talking to the local  D.E.C and everyone else I finally called the main office for the state of AK and they gave me what I needed to know. You would think someone that has a specific job title would know the rules. D.E.C is like dealing with D.O.T with my other business ask 4 people and they all tell you something different . And you are right by the looks of it going to cost about $800 after calling around for engineering study to have someone tell me I can put a plastic tank in the yard
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 19:31:20 (permalink)
    In the ground that will work but sitting in your yard that won't keep it from freezing.
    chefbuba
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 20:19:54 (permalink)
    I get nasty cold weather here, I use the stock tank heater in my tank to keep it thawed, but it's only 160 gal and gets pumped every week or so.
    The company that I rent my tank from is the local septic and porta john company.
    Freezers-full-in-Alaska
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 20:26:21 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

In the ground that will work but sitting in your yard that won't keep it from freezing.

Well, I guess I can always put it on my atv trailer and wheel it in and out of my heated shop when I have to dump the trailer. Either way thanks for all the help I'll get it fiqured out

Roger
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/24 20:31:09 (permalink)
    I have a 200 gallon fresh water tank and every year at some point it gets iced up on top. But it's in a box to keep the wind off of it otherwise I'd be in trouble. We have winters with 10 or 12 days in a row of 0 or below weather. And they are usually right after a winter snow storm so a tank just sitting uncovered would freeze up. My lines for fresh water in and grey water out are both wrapped and have heat tape.  A big part is of course the wind.  But I'm glad Guy got it straightened out that's what counts.
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2011/10/24 22:43:07
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/25 00:45:21 (permalink)
    chefbuba

I get nasty cold weather here, I use the stock tank heater in my tank to keep it thawed, but it's only 160 gal and gets pumped every week or so.
    The company that I rent my tank from is the local septic and porta john company.

Chef ,
    One more thought, I rented a tank from a local company and had water delivered for hell I don't know two or three years and I told the owner we were going to another company for the tank and water service, in 30 days because they were cheaper. He offered a 30% discount and I said no 50% and he said ok. Cut my cost in half in 15 minutes. And I'm not the best at negotiating. LOL

chefbuba
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/25 01:41:18 (permalink)
    I got a price reduction about six months ago, If you don't ask, you don't get. I looked at buying a tank, but could not find one in the dimensions I needed.....and have not looked further.

I'm relocating further South within the next month, won't need, or should say be required to be forced into using a holding tank per hd in the new area, but still might end up using one for convenience. Going to go location scouting at the end of the week.
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/25 18:20:02 (permalink)
    buba !! your making the move?? 
    chefbuba
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/25 21:59:55 (permalink)
    Yep!
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/27 21:12:44 (permalink)
    ok, i really have a hard time believing that you have to have an engineer create a "plan" for you.....
    google fda certified cisterns/containment tanks.... done, they have done all the hard work for you, (materials, dimensions, etc,etc..)
    go to your county, get a permit for a septic tank, perc the area, and bury it
    explain to the well educated monkey at DEC that the tank is certified, the permit "certifies" the burial, and get a tank it can sit for 6 months before you have it pumped..... oohh yea, the pumper company will be certified for removal and disposal... nuff said :)
    Freezers-full-in-Alaska
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Passed HD review but have 2 hurdles,Have question 2011/10/28 20:27:14 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone, I found a local rv park yesterday that decided to try to stay open all winter up here and the are on the D.E.C "SAFE WATER" list. So I summited that to D.E.C just waiting to hear back from them. That would make my life 100% easier and cheaper I told the rv park I'd plow the park for free this winter in exchange for use of the water and dump
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1