The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Pasta Pizza

Author Message
NYNM

  • Total Posts: 3037
  • Joined: 6/16/2005
  • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
Pasta Pizza Thu, 12/6/07 4:15 PM (permalink)
I've been notiocing these "loaded" pizzas in NYC, pizza with ziti on top, for example. But today I saw "Lasagne Pizza" (!!!) in a new place that opened on W. 14th St & 6th Ave. It had tomatoes, ricotta cheese, paremsan cheese and ground beef (probably some dugh sheets underneath somewhere). This is really carb city, we're talkin'!!


Has anyone seen these PastaPizzas outsida da noo yawk ahrea?>


 
#1
    efuery

    • Total Posts: 630
    • Joined: 12/23/2003
    • Location: Danbury, CT
    RE: Pasta Pizza Thu, 12/6/07 4:18 PM (permalink)
    A few places here in western CT have them. Carb city is right but they are a tasty treat.
     
    #2
      leethebard

      • Total Posts: 6086
      • Joined: 8/16/2007
      • Location: brick, NJ
      RE: Pasta Pizza Thu, 12/6/07 4:34 PM (permalink)
      Hi,
      Pasta pizza is interesting and ,if you're in that mood..and the sauce is authentic..it's good
      Here's one. Anyone ever had potato Pizza? Had it in Italy years ago. Crust,very thin, slices of potato, drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. Starch on starch,yes...but oh so tasty. Ask your local pizza place to make one. We did with ours..and he makes it often now for a few die-hard customers.
      Lee
       
      #3
        Ciaoman

        • Total Posts: 375
        • Joined: 5/2/2006
        • Location: Killingworth, CT
        RE: Pasta Pizza Thu, 12/6/07 5:24 PM (permalink)
        Leethebard, I too ate the potato pizza in Italy (in Rome). Outstanding!
         
        #4
          Sk421

          • Total Posts: 1
          • Joined: 1/15/2007
          • Location: Orange, CT
          RE: Pasta Pizza Fri, 12/7/07 7:28 PM (permalink)
          We make a meatball and spaghetti pizza at our restaurant, Reno's Pizzeria, in Orange, Connecticut. It is delicious! My husband is one of the former owners at Carminuccio's in Newtown and I think he served it there sometimes too. The lasagna pizza sounds great--I'll have to ask him to experiment with that one.
           
          #5
            NYDan

            • Total Posts: 18
            • Joined: 12/19/2007
            • Location: Levittown, NY
            RE: Pasta Pizza Wed, 12/19/07 3:43 PM (permalink)
            I love lasagna... and I love Pizza... so why not Lasagna Pizza.

            I'll have to stop by and try a slice.
             
            #6
              leethebard

              • Total Posts: 6086
              • Joined: 8/16/2007
              • Location: brick, NJ
              RE: Pasta Pizza Fri, 01/11/08 8:11 PM (permalink)
              How about a cheese-steak pizza...they're popping out all over
               
              #7
                Jimeats

                • Total Posts: 3175
                • Joined: 8/15/2005
                • Location: Ipswich Ma
                RE: Pasta Pizza Sun, 01/13/08 9:17 AM (permalink)
                A freind of mine his mother made what we as kids called pasta pizza.
                She was from Italy and nothing went to waste in her kitchen.
                Pasta pizza was just that leftover spaggetti fryed off in a skillet with some additions and sliced in wedges.
                Basicly olive oil in the pan, leftover pasta with an egg as a binder, lots of grated cheese and a little more sauce as needed all mixed together.
                Put all blended ingreadiants in a hot skillet brown on one side then flip with a plate and repeat on the other side. Let it cool slice like you would a pizza, done.
                She called this dish gembota, but then again she called many dishes that were all great gembota. Chow Jim
                 
                #8
                  porkbeaks

                  • Total Posts: 2202
                  • Joined: 5/6/2005
                  • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                  RE: Pasta Pizza Sun, 01/13/08 9:33 AM (permalink)
                  [url='http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_22458,00.html']Here's[/url] Giada's recipe for spaghetti pizza. I saw the show where she made it and I plan on giving it a try one of the days. Rather than use leftovers, I think it would be better to prepare the pasta and sauce with this end result in mind, making sure to have plenty of extra gravy/sauce to accompany each slice. It looks like it could end up a tad dry. pb




                   
                  #9
                    Jimeats

                    • Total Posts: 3175
                    • Joined: 8/15/2005
                    • Location: Ipswich Ma
                    RE: Pasta Pizza Mon, 01/14/08 9:14 AM (permalink)
                    That pretty much looks like it. I remember that on occasion she would put half the mixture in then layer sliced sausage or sliced meatballs or whatever was on hand, egg plant? then some sliced provolone or scommoza, then top with the remainder of mixture.
                    Sure was tastey and a great after school snack.
                    I'm not sure I would purposely order a Pasta Pizza though.
                    Either your going to eat pasta or eat pizza make up your mind.
                    Chow Jim
                     
                    #10
                      billyboy

                      • Total Posts: 2363
                      • Joined: 1/23/2005
                      • Location: New York City, NY
                      RE: Pasta Pizza Mon, 01/14/08 9:31 AM (permalink)
                      The pasta pizza I've seen in the city are like a typical slice with dough, crust, cheese and sauce, but then they have ziti pasta on top with some ricotta (I think) blended into it. I've never gotten it as the only pizza places I've seen it in were sketchy and I wouldn't eat there anyway.
                       
                      #11
                        NYNM

                        • Total Posts: 3037
                        • Joined: 6/16/2005
                        • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                        RE: Pasta Pizza Mon, 01/14/08 9:45 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by billyboy

                        The pasta pizza I've seen in the city are like a typical slice with dough, crust, cheese and sauce, but then they have ziti pasta on top with some ricotta (I think) blended into it. I've never gotten it as the only pizza places I've seen it in were sketchy and I wouldn't eat there anyway.



                        You got it!!!

                        How about garbage pizza/ (leftovers from one of these places?)
                         
                        #12
                          leethebard

                          • Total Posts: 6086
                          • Joined: 8/16/2007
                          • Location: brick, NJ
                          RE: Pasta Pizza Tue, 01/15/08 10:27 AM (permalink)
                          Oh please,NYNM,
                          No one rants about good pizza on this site more than I....I've made a study of it!!!! And I'm VERY VERY fussy!!!!! But a good pizza,even for decades in Italy...has come with tons of toppings..Pizza Capracoza is pizza with whatever the Italian cook wants to put on it...even poached eggs(had it didn't love it...but so what) One man's garbage is another's specialty. If a pizza is made with quality ingredients(NOT fast food sugar pies with cheap,even sugared dough and cheap cheese)then any quality topping is in the realm of the pizza maker's art!!!!
                          leethebard
                           
                          #13
                            porkbeaks

                            • Total Posts: 2202
                            • Joined: 5/6/2005
                            • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                            RE: Pasta Pizza Tue, 01/15/08 10:55 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by leethebard

                            Oh please,NYNM,
                            No one rants about good pizza on this site more than I....I've made a study of it!!!! And I'm VERY VERY fussy!!!!! But a good pizza,even for decades in Italy...has come with tons of toppings..Pizza Capracoza is pizza with whatever the Italian cook wants to put on it...even poached eggs(had it didn't love it...but so what) One man's garbage is another's specialty. If a pizza is made with quality ingredients(NOT fast food sugar pies with cheap,even sugared dough and cheap cheese)then any quality topping is in the realm of the pizza maker's art!!!!
                            leethebard


                            OK, Mr. veryveryfussy pizzaman. Please tell us where you find the pizza locally that meets your demanding criteria. pb
                             
                            #14
                              leethebard

                              • Total Posts: 6086
                              • Joined: 8/16/2007
                              • Location: brick, NJ
                              RE: Pasta Pizza Tue, 01/15/08 12:38 PM (permalink)
                              Hi,
                              Mr. Porkbeats...
                              I see you're in Georgia..so I can't help you with your local recomendation.....
                              However..to repeat...I'm not that fussy...really...What I've stated many times is that to me(TO ME) a pizza should be made of quality ingredients..as close to the REAL Italian way....Too often cheap places add sugar. Remember Pizza Hut even adds sugar to the dough. My comment above concerned someone actually putting down some ingredients as "garbage" All I replied was in Italy, Italian chefs put almost anything on a pie...they just make the basic with quality ingredients...buffalo cheese...basic sauce..Italian plum tomatoes(no Sugar...etc. If a pizza is made carefully(preferable a wood burning oven) any pizza is good...again the taste is in the taste-buds of the beholder. I'm simply defining the"ITALIAN pizza. verses the fast food rip-off. If one's taste buds prefer Dominos or other American pies, so be it. Sorry you didn't understand.
                              leethebard
                               
                              #15
                                porkbeaks

                                • Total Posts: 2202
                                • Joined: 5/6/2005
                                • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                RE: Pasta Pizza Tue, 01/15/08 1:33 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by leethebard

                                Hi,
                                Mr. Porkbeats...
                                I see you're in Georgia..so I can't help you with your local recomendation.....
                                However..to repeat...I'm not that fussy...really...What I've stated many times is that to me(TO ME) a pizza should be made of quality ingredients..as close to the REAL Italian way....Too often cheap places add sugar. Remember Pizza Hut even adds sugar to the dough. My comment above concerned someone actually putting down some ingredients as "garbage" All I replied was in Italy, Italian chefs put almost anything on a pie...they just make the basic with quality ingredients...buffalo cheese...basic sauce..Italian plum tomatoes(no Sugar...etc. If a pizza is made carefully(preferable a wood burning oven) any pizza is good...again the taste is in the taste-buds of the beholder. I'm simply defining the"ITALIAN pizza. verses the fast food rip-off. If one's taste buds prefer Dominos or other American pies, so be it. Sorry you didn't understand.
                                leethebard


                                I understand completely. What I'm asking is where do you obtain the pizza you desire in or near Brick, NJ. Believe it or not, I know a lot about pizza. As I mentioned in another thread, unless you are making a true Neapolitan pizza, a bit of sugar in the dough (to feed the yeast)is totally acceptable. For you to imply that the addition of any sugar automatically puts that pizza in the category of Pizza Hut or Domino's is hard to accept. pb
                                 
                                #16
                                  leethebard

                                  • Total Posts: 6086
                                  • Joined: 8/16/2007
                                  • Location: brick, NJ
                                  RE: Pasta Pizza Tue, 01/15/08 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                  Hi pb,
                                  I guess I'm in agreement then....I like Pudgies in Brick(not the chain!)..especially if the one guy is there..different people,even in the same pizzaria make different pizzas. Franks in Lakewood makes a great variety of Pizza. There is a pizzaria in Toms River that uses a wood burning oven and makes a good pie. As I've said in other threads...ahve a good friend who manages a Pizza Hut and informs me of the excess sugar. The comment about a lot of sugar in the dough comes from him. You are correct about a little sugar in non-neapolitan pizzas. Always glad to talk with someone who appreciates my favorite food.Let's talk some more
                                  leethebard
                                   
                                  #17
                                    Scorereader

                                    • Total Posts: 5546
                                    • Joined: 8/4/2005
                                    • Location: Crofton, MD
                                    RE: Pasta Pizza Tue, 01/15/08 3:45 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by leethebard

                                    Hi pb,
                                    I guess I'm in agreement then....I like Pudgies in Brick(not the chain leethebard



                                    it's "Pudgy's" in Brick, NJ.
                                     
                                    #18
                                      Scorereader

                                      • Total Posts: 5546
                                      • Joined: 8/4/2005
                                      • Location: Crofton, MD
                                      RE: Pasta Pizza Tue, 01/15/08 4:39 PM (permalink)
                                      YEars ago, I tried to make my own spaghetti pizza at home. I tried it a bunch of times. The first few time,s the pasta wasn't dry enough, and it slithered all over the place. I tried so hard not to have dried out pasta, it was too wet.
                                      Finally, I make the flat pizza using a deep dish pan and made the pasta in the same manner one would make a spaghetti casserole. It finally worked, except the dougn, which was perfectly crisp in the bottom, was too thin to hold it in your hand. The weight if the spaghetti bent the pizza in half. You had to eat it with fork and knife, which was fine, just not my speed.

                                      At that time, I was trying to make all sorts of pizzas, including Hawaiian, Mexican, eggplant parmeggiano, and more (even a Gyro pizza which was a not a red sauce based pizza. It was more like a white pizza with gyro meat, fresh tomatoes, onion, feta, and some dollops of tzatziki sauce aded after the pizza was finished cooking). Finally, I decided that, when making pizza at home, I'm better off with more traditional pizzas. Mostly, because I make my pizzas NYC style, and those other pizzas have too much stuff on them for the thin Neapolitan crust I like. I found, to make pizzas with a lot of toppings, the crust has to be thicker. Which is ok if you've used good ingredients (I enjoy Chicago style too).

                                       
                                      #19
                                        Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                        Jump to:

                                        Current active users

                                        There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                        Icon Legend and Permission

                                        • New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

                                        2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com