Pasta Salad

Author
Foodfinancial.com
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2014/05/21 14:28:32 (permalink)

Pasta Salad

Hi I am looking for great pasta salad recipes. Thank you. 

8 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:Pasta Salad 2014/05/21 14:46:00 (permalink)
    I always combine mayo with fat free sour cream. (Thanks Alton)
    If you can get the recipe from Serio's Market in Northampton, Massachusetts, you've hit the mother-lode 
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:Pasta Salad 2014/05/21 16:17:39 (permalink)
    That's a thought, Gregg. My pasta salad is uninspiring, because I'm such a picky eater (no onions, peppers, olives...), so I just use a nice cubed ham, same with cheese or cheeses, broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. Sometimes I'll throw peas and corn in if I don't have enough of the other. I know, more starch. The dressing is not always the same - sometimes creamy and sometimes not. Never dry, though. That's about it. I don't know why my loved ones are crazy about it, either - there's nothing special about it. Oh, and I always use rotelle or rotini for the pasta. 
    post edited by harriet1954 - 2014/05/21 16:19:35
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3554
    Re:Pasta Salad 2014/05/21 16:25:09 (permalink)
    I guess it depends on your definition of "great". But here are the ones I make regularly:
    Summer Tortellini Salad
    Broccoli Pasta Salad
    Kittencal's Ranch Potato or Macaroni Salad
    Spiral Macaroni Salad

Totally agree with wheregreggeats on the sour cream! I use olive oil mayo and low-fat sour cream in equal parts in most salads, and it's amazing! I had no idea it was an Alton Brown thing, though.
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 804
    Re:Pasta Salad 2014/05/22 10:08:45 (permalink)
    Make it like a Caesar Salad, sub pasta for the lettuce. Add grilled chicken or shrimp.

Pesto makes for a great Pasta Salad.

Go nuts, just play with it. If it sounds good, it probably is.
    Turtle66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re:Pasta Salad 2014/05/23 03:07:04 (permalink)
     lately i've been making my Pasta Salads with scratch made Sun Dried Tomato Pesto...............Absolutely Delicious  
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 804
    Re:Pasta Salad 2014/05/24 09:12:52 (permalink)
    This post got my wheels spinning. I have some store bought ravioli in my freezer. Anybody ever made Ravioli Salad? I know, Google is my friend! Just wanted to know if anyone had and how it came out.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Pasta Salad 2014/05/24 12:30:44 (permalink)
    A great Pasta salad has to have cubed Italian cold cuts along with various cubed cheeses, on top of various pastas of your choice, chopped red onions, broccoli, and any other veggies you like, a quality Italian dressing, or Caesar dressing, it should be tossed with the dressing and sit refrigerated for at least an hour. Voila!
    SeeTheUSA
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Pasta Salad 2014/05/30 19:31:45 (permalink)
    I  think pasta salad makes for any occasion of picnic, party or dinner. Just I try to keep it chilled whenever served and just keep adding to a bowl in an ice bath during the occasion. The biggest thing is what type of dressing to put over it....I go Parmesan Italian or Bacon Ranch most of the time, but occasionally try other dressings on sale at the market.

1 lb. cooked corkscrew pasta
    1/2 cup each of finely chopped green peppers and sweet onions.
    2 cucumbers that have been peeled, seeds scraped out, and chopped into 1/2 inch size chunks
    1 to 1&1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes or similar small cut in half
    3/4 to 1lb of small chunked up mozzarella cheese
    1/2 cup shredded carrot
    3 ribs celery that have been cleaned and chopped into small cubes
    1 bottle of your favorite dressing (I get 16 ounces bottles and use about 8 ounces but have increased amount used at times)
    Cook the pasta and drain but DO NOT RINSE.  In a bowl put hot drained pasta and shake/pour a few ounces of the dressing over it, let stand about twenty minutes and cover and refrigerate (I do this night before affair and chop most of the other ingredients and store in refrig overnight too).  Every few hours take bowl out of fridge and stir bowl contents, taste pasta and shake a little more dressing on it and stir). Return to fridge...this will help infuse the dressing taste into the pasta. Two hours before event take out bowl, stir past THEN add ALL the other veggies and cheese. Return to fridge covered, Before service take out and taste...the pasta should have the dressing flavor mostly and the veggies/cheese should retain their own flavor instead of everything tasting like dressing. You can sprinkle a little parmesan cheese over the bowl, stir once and sprinkle a little more. Either put out entire bowl in an iced service bath or just refresh from refrig when having small groups inside.

Side note:  the addition of toasted chopped almonds, sunflower seeds, etc  can also assist if you choose to use any. Just be carefull of those with nut allergies.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1