Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pastrami King- Merrick NY

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7382
  • Roadfood Insider
Pastrami King- Merrick NY Wed, 11/24/04 10:28 AM (permalink)
Ok- Here is a gen-u-wine serious road food question. I know I'm not bringing up the McRib, Chinese Pizza Hut or Frying at my party if I want to, but I hope I get at least one response!

I'm heading back to NY for a short thanksgiving weekend, I have to work Friday Anyway, I plan on visiting Pastrami King on Saturday, I've never eaten there before and am wondering what is highly recommmeded

Thanks, all I look forward to a plethora of replies

Tony Bad

RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Wed, 11/24/04 10:56 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Ok- Here is a gen-u-wine serious road food question. I know I'm not bringing up the McRib, Chinese Pizza Hut or Frying at my party if I want to, but I hope I get at least one response!

I'm heading back to NY for a short thanksgiving weekend, I have to work Friday Anyway, I plan on visiting Pastrami King on Saturday, I've never eaten there before and am wondering what is highly recommmeded

Thanks, all I look forward to a plethora of replies

Don't mean to be negative...but the one and only time I was there was about 8 months ago, and had...what else...pastrami! It was rather fatty, and seemed almost shredded rather than sliced. I was most unimpressed. Hopefully someone who has been there more often will be able to recommend something that IS good.

Hope you have a safe trip...drive carefully!

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
      RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Wed, 11/24/04 10:59 AM (permalink)
      If I am correct, this Pastrami King may be an offshoot of the original on Queens Boulevard in Forest Hills. It moved to the City about a decade or so ago as Pastrami Queen. Here is the Roadfood review http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1570

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
        RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Fri, 11/26/04 1:10 PM (permalink)
        Thanks to Tony Bad and Grampy for their help. I am in utter disbelief that there are only two responses to this thread. I am sure there must be SOMEONE on this site who has been here that can make some helpful recommendations! Unfortunately the lack of responses on a very ROADFOOD related topic reminds me of Chezkatie's previous Roadfood vs Crap thread and Stevekoe's ignore button request. I am very dissapointed....

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
          RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Fri, 11/26/04 2:45 PM (permalink)
          Just to make you feel better wanderingjew, heres another response.

I'VE NEVER BEEN THERE!

I am sure that makes you feel better in the ROADFOOD tradition.

Cakes

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
            RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Fri, 11/26/04 3:01 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Cakes

Just to make you feel better wanderingjew, heres another response.

I'VE NEVER BEEN THERE!

I am sure that makes you feel better in the ROADFOOD tradition.

Cakes

I wasn't expecting a response from someone who has never been there, however I'm very surprised that for a site that's supposed to be about road food, how few responses I've gotten verses the amount of innane dribble that has been on some of these threads lately. It's a real shame that topics with no relevance to Road Food seem to have taken center stage lately, and that's really, really sad.

qwerty79

• Total Posts: 165
              RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Fri, 11/26/04 3:37 PM (permalink)
              I have never been there but i have heard mixed comments about the place. Some people love it and some people hate it. If you want some good jewish food on long island try Deli king in lake success or any of the multitude of ben's. Also across the street from pastrami king is a roast beef place which is pretty good.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
                RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Fri, 11/26/04 3:37 PM (permalink)
                wj, I wonder if it is just the timing of your question, over the Thanksgiving holiday when many are traveling or busy visiting with those who have, and may not be checking the site. Hopefully you will have a resdponse before you leave.

Of course, the true Roadfood alternative is to stop any way, and let the rest of us know what you discovered. Have a safe and pleasant journey.

GB944

• Total Posts: 191
                  RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Fri, 11/26/04 4:10 PM (permalink)
                  Don't waste your time.

Get on over to Katz Delicatessan on Houston St, near the 2nd Avenue subway stop.

From that moment, your life will be measured by the number of days since you've been to Katz', and the number of days until you get back.

gb

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                    RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Fri, 11/26/04 4:10 PM (permalink)
                    Wandering,
                    I'd help you if I could, but I'm down here in Georgia where altogether too many people think Ferlinghetti is some new kind of deli pasta.
                    Of Corso My Tongue Is In Chic, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
                    P. S. Didn't mean to Pound it in. By the way, we'll be having Frost tonight. Could I ask for Moore? An Allen Ginzburger?? A Carl Sandburger???
                    P. P. S. Couldn't manage to work Robert Desnos (my favorite poet of all) in... I di' know how.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Fri, 11/26/04 5:02 PM (permalink)
                      Thanks to all who tried to help. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be heading into the City, so Katz's is out. I've been to Katz's before, never had their pastrami, however their Hot Dogs are heaven!

I've been to Ben's. I think they're hit and miss, unfortunately I do not like their cole slaw.

Ort, one of these days I'm gonna have to head down to Athens and we're going to have to get together over a couple of Microbrews.

I'm off to Long Island right now. Have a great rest of the weekend all!

Tony Bad

RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Fri, 11/26/04 6:06 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Thanks to all who tried to help. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be heading into the City, so Katz's is out. I've been to Katz's before, never had their pastrami, however their Hot Dogs are heaven!

I've been to Ben's. I think they're hit and miss, unfortunately I do not like their cole slaw.

This is a late message, since you already left, but the cole slaw at Pastrami King is quite good! I may have just hit an off day, as others have raved about their sandwiches. Katz's is a good option for the next trip to the city, and I also like the 2nd Ave deli as well.

As for the lack of responses...I have been surprised that Long Island, which does have quite a few good road food places is sort of a dead zone on this board. There are several Long Islanders that post, but not as many as one would expect from such a densely populated area. Sadly, the duties of job and parenthood have kept me from adding a few reviews of long island spots to the site. I have to make the time!

Hope your trip went well, you returned home safely, and you share your thoughts on the pastrami!

mike g

• Total Posts: 2
                          RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Sat, 11/27/04 1:59 PM (permalink)
                          Another late response, but anyway...I tried Pastrami King in Merrick about a month ago and was pleasantly surprised at how good their pastrami sandwich was. On Long Island (only because of the abundance of them) Bens is the benchmark for judging pastrami sandwiches and Pastrami King's blew Bens away! Deli King in Lake Success would be above Bens but, at least based upon this visit, beneath Pastrami King. So I don't sound like a complete shill for them I will state that their matzoh ball soup was pretty poor.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                            RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Sat, 11/27/04 2:51 PM (permalink)
                            Yo WJ - -

I will hop along the apologizers bandwagon here. I have no experience with Pastrami King in Merrick. Unfortunately, when I am in that area of Long Island, I am usually with people who insist on dragging me to the Cheesecake Factory at The Source. I likes me a hunk of cheesecake, so I usually don't strongly object.

As I am sure you know, realize that whatever you get at Pastrami King should be better than you would find at Ben's. I am no fan of theirs, as it has become a watered-down chain product now. When I was a kid, they catered my Bar Mitzvah, and it was the best you could do. Now that I know better, I will hop the train from Long Island and get good kosher deli in the city. Since I can do it often enough to satisfy my cravings for such, I usually don't settle for the inferior Long Island product.

Best of luck on your mission, and report back when you get home.

Steve

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Mon, 11/29/04 6:28 PM (permalink)
                              I'm back from NY. I got back last night and took the Ferry from Orient Point on the Northern Fork of Long Island to New London. It was great, I avoided most of the traffic and enjoyed a very relaxing albeit rainy drive along 70 miles of Rte 25 A from Huntington to Orient Point.

Pastrami King was much better than I expected. After a very bland bowl of Matzoh Ball Soup and OK cole slaw -I've had better and I've had worse (Ben's) The Pastrami Corned Beef Combo was outstanding. It was huge, not fatty at all, and not too lean. I thought it was just as good as the Second Avenue Deli's. The mustard (hebrew national) is good- however nothing compares to the mustard at the Carnegie Deli.

On another note, on the way to the the ferry, I stopped in Stony Brook, my old Alma Mater (SUNY at Stony Brook) for lunch. I went to Station Pizza. I was shocked to see it was still there. I hadn't had their pizza in almost 20 years! It was just as good as I remember it. Better in fact! I had two slices, the Eggplant Pizza which had ricotta and Mozzaralla was delicious, however the slice that took center stage was the Chicken Parm Pizza, it was huge, substantial, had lots of cheese, a delicious sauce and a generous helping of chicken. This was probably the best I've ever eaten. I was practically singing at the end of my meal! What a way to end a nice short weekend trip!

Danmel

• Total Posts: 193
                                RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Tue, 11/30/04 7:54 AM (permalink)
                                Pastrami King was good on Queen's Blvd- I haven't een to the one in Merrick I really couldn't find a suitable place to park and it was raining and I had the kids in the car. It isn't Kosher if that matters to you, Ben's and Deli kIng are.

If you hit Brooklyn, the Mill Basin Kosher Deli is very good.

AHR

• Total Posts: 26
                                  RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Sat, 01/8/05 2:17 AM (permalink)
                                  Is there anyone who's been to all of the Pastrami Kings and Queens and can put this into perspective?

As I remember the story, the original and best "royal" pastrami in the city was found at Pastrami King near Peter Luger in Williamsburg, Brooklyn; it was dark, grainy, smoky, and garlicky. The elderly proprietor rebuilt the place following its first looting during the blackout-inspired riots of the late '60s and early '70s, but gave up after the second. Instead, he semi-retired and took his recipe to the larger, unrelated, and coincidentally named Pastrami King across from the courts in Queens. The resulting pastrami there was almost as good but not quite; some of the intensity and garlic didn't survive the trip. Here we pick up the story about the courts moving, the decline in business, the garish remodeling, the closing, and the supposed reincarnation in Manhattan and Merrick.

Shortly after it opened, I twice tried the pastrami at Pastrami Queen and found it to be quite unlike the product in Queens, much less Brooklyn: essentially a very good version of New York deli pastrami, similar to that served at the time at the Second Avenue Deli.

So, can anyone here actually confirm the relationship of the Manhattan and/or Merrick restaurants to the Queens Pastrami King? Can anyone else who tasted the Queens (or even Brooklyn) version of the pastrami in its heyday compare the current restaurants’ offerings to the original(s)?

Stewdude

RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Sun, 01/9/05 11:29 PM (permalink)
                                    I do believe that the Manhattan and Merrick Pastrami Queen locations are related and they both have their origins from the Kew Gardens location. I had heard that a coupel more Pastrami Kins would be opening on Long ISland. The Kew Gardens location was great and I loved stopping there for a sandwich on the way to SHea or coming out of Court. I have not been to the Manhattan location but go to Merrick fairly often. While I think the pastrami at Merrick is a little less peppery than the original, it is excellent and much better than otherwise available on the island.

There is a place in East Meadow, Long Island on Hempstead Tpke, called Pastrami Plus which is starting to get some good press and local comments but I have not tried it yet. I will rectify that and report.

Spudnut

• Total Posts: 655
                                      RE: Pastrami King- Merrick NY Thu, 01/13/05 5:39 PM (permalink)
                                      Somehow missed this thread in its heyday a few months back.

The Pastrami King left Queens several years ago, apparently yearning for the bright lights of Manhattan. For some reason, it renamed itself Pastrami Queen once it moved to the Upper East Side (Lexington and 85th). In my opinion -- and the opinion of several friends who are much more into delis than I am -- they took a very good/great restaurant in Queens and converted it into a mediocre/good restaurant in Manhattan.

I used to go there every so often when I lived two blocks from the place. Now that I'm 30 blocks away (under two miles), I never go. Even when I lived in the neighborhood, I only took out rather than ate in: the place was kind of grimy, and way too hot in the summer.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com