Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pastrami Sandwich?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 51 of 51
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17827
Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 12/23/09 9:27 PM (permalink)
Hey, if you find "points" in a pastrami sandwich with lettuce, tomato, onions and mayonnaise, then integrity is not the problem.

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
    Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 12/23/09 9:46 PM (permalink)
    Okay Michael...okay...

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
      Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 12/23/09 9:56 PM (permalink)
      ces1948

I'm not familiar with the term "first cut" in reference to Pastrami or corned beef. What does that mean?

A beef brisket, which corned beef and often pastrami, are made of, is composed of two major muscles.  The first cut, is the leaner, flatter cut of the brisket....it slices more evenly, and usually has a thin layer of fat on one side.  Once that thin layer of fat is separated, the lean meat is obvious.  It's most presentable, and among many people, the most desirable, part of the brisket.  I like it myself, most of the time.

The point cut is the other muscle part of the brisket, it is fattier, has more marbling, and doesn't slice as well.  You also can't de-fat it by trimming, as it has streaks of fat running through it.  While some prefer the flat cut, the point cut is richer in flavor, due to the fat content.  Occasionally, I enjoy this portion of the meat, too.  To me, the ideal sandwich has some of each.

You will often order a corned beef sandwich as lean (from the flat cut), or juicy (read, fattier) from the point cut.  Many delis charge a couple bucks extra for lean.

An analogy would be white meat vs dark meat chicken.   Some people prefer only one vs. the other.  Some don't care.  Certainly the white meat is leaner; but many will prefer the dark, due to it's richer flavor. 

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
        Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 12/23/09 10:07 PM (permalink)
        Boilermaker, don't let these crotchity old farts scare youoff.
         Good job.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
          Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 12/23/09 10:12 PM (permalink)
          Palace Cafe- Ashland
          <message edited by bill voss on Wed, 01/20/10 8:14 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17827
            Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 12/23/09 10:24 PM (permalink)
            Excellent explanation of first cut.

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
              Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 01/20/10 6:29 PM (permalink)
              http://www.kennyandzukes....menu_feb09-takeout.pdf   I'm going to stop here in March, Look at the PLT in the "Our Pastrami" part of the menu..MH will love it.....I'm thinking hot Pastrami on Rye and a Knish, maybe a small portion of Chopped chicken liver................Billyb

1bbqboy

Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 01/20/10 8:04 PM (permalink)
                http://www.savethedeli.com/2009/05/21/kenny-and-zukes-a-visit/
                <message edited by bill voss on Wed, 01/20/10 8:06 PM>

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                  Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 01/20/10 8:12 PM (permalink)
                  I got the idea from you Bill..............Billyb

1bbqboy

Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 01/20/10 8:19 PM (permalink)
                    BillyB

I got the idea from you Bill..............Billyb

:)
                    I didn't realize Ellen's buddy had been there, so I thought I'd post a pic of chef ken from his report.

1bbqboy

Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 01/27/10 7:41 PM (permalink)
                      hey billy, (and ellen, if you want to fly crosscountry on short notice),

http://www.portlandfood.org/index.php?showtopic=10266&hl=

Come meet David Sax, author of "Save the Deli", while you stuff yourself on pastrami, bagels, and other nosh at Kenny & Zuke's on Tuesday, February 2nd at 6pm. David spotlighted Kenny & Zuke's in Gourmet Magazine as one of two shops that represent the future of delicatessen. He also named Kenny & Zuke's as one of the top 10 delicatessens in North America.

David set out on a journey across the United States and around the world in search of authentic delicatessen, cataloging the best dishes and quickly disappearing specialties. He knows pastrami. He knows bagels. He knows chopped liver. Learn about David's favorite spots, his favorite dishes, tell him about yours, listen to him tell stories about the characters who have been slicing pastrami by hand for 30 years, whose grandparents invented the foods you love. And eat.

Contact Kenny & Zuke's to sign up. $15, food & drink included. 503.222.DELI or info@kennyandzukes.com. Signed copies of the book will be available at the event.

plb

Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 01/27/10 9:10 PM (permalink)
                        My favorite was from a place called Boston Deli in downtown L.A. in the mid 80's.  It came on an onion roll with Russian (or Thousand Island) dressing and cole slaw in the sandwich.  I just tried a search on Boston Deli and there was nothing having to do with L.A.  But that's the way I always order Pastrami, even in NYC.

Hey Boilermaker, there is a lot of Jewish influence in Indy.  Get thee to Shapiro's.

plb (Boilermaker '71) 

boilermaker

• Total Posts: 55
                          Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 01/27/10 9:32 PM (permalink)
                          plb

My favorite was from a place called Boston Deli in downtown L.A. in the mid 80's.  It came on an onion roll with Russian (or Thousand Island) dressing and cole slaw in the sandwich.  I just tried a search on Boston Deli and there was nothing having to do with L.A.  But that's the way I always order Pastrami, even in NYC.

Hey Boilermaker, there is a lot of Jewish influence in Indy.  Get thee to Shapiro's.

plb (Boilermaker '71) 

Had lunch there a couple of weeks ago. Kinda pricy but droolingly good. Thanks plb!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                            Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 01/27/10 11:46 PM (permalink)
                            stlouisguy

Mayo on pastrami is possibly the only thing worse than ketchup on a hot dog.

Hey! How about ketchup on a pastrami sandwich? 

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                              Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Thu, 01/28/10 12:37 AM (permalink)
                              bill voss

hey billy, (and ellen, if you want to fly crosscountry on short notice),

http://www.portlandfood.org/index.php?showtopic=10266&hl=

Come meet David Sax, author of "Save the Deli", while you stuff yourself on pastrami, bagels, and other nosh at Kenny & Zuke's on Tuesday, February 2nd at 6pm. David spotlighted Kenny & Zuke's in Gourmet Magazine as one of two shops that represent the future of delicatessen.

Hey, BILL VOSS,  thanks so much for thinking of me !!
                              I've already had the utmost pleasure meeting David Sax during his book signing tour , at his Philly stop in Nov...
                              I even turned it into a Roadfood trip report.....   it's part of my "PASTRAMI IN PHILLY" report ....

I've always wanted to try Kenny & Zukes, though!!  That pic of all those pastrami's looks awesome !
                              This weekend I'm already going to be tied up with a PASTRAMI OUTING in NYC.... !!!
                              I am "MEATING UP" with THE Teddy ...........who calls himself "the pastrami king"...
                              He writes a real good pastrami  blog ,  http://www.pastramiblog.blogspot.com/..... he's a nice 25 year old Polish kid who just LOVES his pastrami !  It was funny, cause once someone gave him heat on his blog for using russian dressing on his pastrami ...
                              and Teddy said "Hey, I'm Polish, and I don't follow any Kosher dietary laws"...

Stay tuned for my  probable Roadfood trip report on here entitled "The pastrami queen meats up with the pastrami king" !!!

Thanks again, Bill Voss for thinking of me !!

1bbqboy

Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Tue, 02/2/10 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2010/02/small_bites_a_sparkling_riesli.html

Christopher FarberDavid Sax3 QUESTIONS

A short chat about what's cooking

Freelance journalist David Sax grew up loving Yitz' Deli in his hometown of Toronto, and these days travels the globe reporting stories for publications such as New York Magazine, Vanity Fair and GQ. While on the road, he's tasted a world's worth of pastrami and corned beef. He's in Portland today, Feb. 2, promoting a new book focused on the challenges that delicatessens face.

Q: You spent the past few years searching for the world's great Jewish delicatessens. From the title of your book -- "Save the Deli" -- it sounds like you're troubled by what you found. How is the great deli tradition being threatened?

A: Delis have declined in great numbers over the past several decades, from thousands to a few hundred, and the threat comes on several fronts: First, it's economically difficult to run Jewish delis compared with other restaurants. It requires skilled staff who can work with specialty foods that are deceptively troublesome to prepare and serve. Despite the fact that they practically exist to serve them, corned beef and pastrami sandwiches are the least profitable items for delis to sell. Second, there's a cultural drain of Jews away from Jewish delicatessens. Unlike Chinese restaurants or taquerias, there simply aren't any new Jewish immigrants from Poland or Romania coming over to open up delis ... and they haven't been coming since the Nazis wiped out that whole world. With each generation that comes of age in America, fewer Jews are involved in delis. That dilutes the tradition. Toss in competition from cheap sandwich chains like Subway, and the fear over fat and salt, and it's a perfect storm.

Q: Of all the places you visited, Portland's own Kenny & Zuke's Delicatessen stood out. It's a very new business that's not steeped in the history of places like New York's Katz's Deli, which has been around since the 1880s. What made a place that's only been open a couple of years so special?

A: Kenny & Zuke's didn't start out with any grand ideas. It was two guys who made pastrami as an experiment and sold it at a farmers market. But they built everything with a focus on the quality of the food foremost, and never tried to replicate some version of the "New York" deli, with taxicab murals and other shtick. They began from scratch, baking the bread and bagels in-house, curing the lox, smoking the pastrami, baking the rugelach, and the flavors really stood out because of that. They're not reinventing Jewish delicatessen in any radical way. They're simply doing it right, with a respect for the tradition but without indulging in the shticky nostalgia that too many delicatessens focus their energy on.

Q: Think of this as the delicatessen equivalent to the eternal "boxers or briefs" question: Pastrami or corned beef, and why?

A: Just bread, because I go commando.

David Sax speaks at 6 p.m. today, Feb. 2, at Kenny & Zuke's Delicatessen, 1038 S.W. Stark St.; $15, including food and drink; reservations at 503-222-3354 or info@kennyandzukes.com. Signed copies of "Save the Deli" (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, $24, 336 pages) will be available at the event.

-- Grant Butler

1bbqboy

ScreenBear

• Total Posts: 1503
                                    Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Wed, 02/3/10 6:36 PM (permalink)
                                    As the guy next door to me when I was little in Newark, N.J. used to say, "Boyesz, boyesz, don't knock so hard the ball against the wall."

The Bear

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                      Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Thu, 02/4/10 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                      Years ago, I was working as an intern at a newspaper; a bunch of us walked to a local deli and ordered sandwiches to take to the park. We all ordered more or less the same -- pastrami or corned beef, rye, brown mustard, Dr. Brown's Cream Soda or Cel-Ray. Then the office clerk, a girl barely out of high school, who had "former cheerleader" written all over her, struggled with her order, since she'd obviously never been to such a place. "Um, corned beef, uh, on ... Wonder Bread with American cheese and Miracle Whip?"

One of our number, the archetypal genuine Nice Jewish Girl from Brooklyn, scowled and blurted out, "Oy. How goyische!"

Jamie638

• Total Posts: 7
                                        Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Thu, 02/4/10 12:50 PM (permalink)
                                        I remember the MAD magazine parody of the old TV show "Bridget Loves Bernie" which was about a mixed-marriage couple (Bridget--Catholic and Bernie--Jewish). Bridget's brother (a priest) is at Bernie's family's deli and the waiter asks "what'll it be, Father?". The priest replies "I'll have a corned beef sandwich on date-nut bread with mayonnaise and a glass of milk", so the waiter turns to the kitchen and yells "one #6 Gentile with the works".
                                        <message edited by Jamie638 on Thu, 02/4/10 1:39 PM>

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                          Re:Pastrami Sandwich? Fri, 02/5/10 11:18 AM (permalink)
                                          Jamie638

I remember the MAD magazine parody of the old TV show "Bridget Loves Bernie" which was about a mixed-marriage couple (Bridget--Catholic and Bernie--Jewish). Bridget's brother (a priest) is at Bernie's family's deli and the waiter asks "what'll it be, Father?". The priest replies "I'll have a corned beef sandwich on date-nut bread with mayonnaise and a glass of milk", so the waiter turns to the kitchen and yells "one #6 Gentile with the works".

Oh, I'm going to look that up this weekend. My wife and son, last year for my birthday, gave me "Absolutely MAD," the complete 600 issue output of the magazine to that point on DVD-ROM.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 51 of 51

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com